Features

How to buy: Pure McCartney

vinyl_pure

For a while Concord Music were expecting what we used to refer to as ‘Neil Young prices’ for the four-LP version of Paul McCartney‘s Pure McCartney, but thankfully, two weeks before release, the prices have dropped – a bit.

Let’s talk about the vinyl first. On Amazon in the UK it’s now £69.99 which is much better than the £83 it was, but there are still cheaper ways to get hold of Pure McCartney across eight sides of wax…

In Europe, Amazon Germany is charging around £56. For those in the UK, shipping bumps this up to about £60, but that’s still a £10 saving. Further afield, McCartney fans on the other side of the Atlantic pay much less. On Amazon Canada the 4LP package is £40! If you can put up with the slowest delivery option you can get the vinyl version delivered to the UK from Canada for £48. That’s £12 less than ordering from Germany and at least £22 cheaper than the UK. Obviously you run the risk of customs levying VAT and the dreaded ‘admin fee’ from Royal Mail / Parcelforce. But even if that did happen you’d be looking at a similar outlay as ordering from Germany, so in theory, nothing to be lost…

purepackshot

It’s a bit more of a level playing field with the 4CD deluxe edition. Firstly, you can now get this from Amazon UK (it was ‘unavailable’ for ages) but it’s £28 which is about a fiver more expensive than Amazon or JPC in Germany. If you are in the UK, it’s probably not worth it when you factor in shipping and the fact that you forgo the ‘autorip’ function when you order outside your ‘home’ Amazon.

Paul McCartney / Pure McCartney 2CD packaging

After giving Amazon UK a bit of a kicking with the sets above, it is a least the cheapest option if you want to go for the good old two-CD edition. Yours for £10.

Pure McCartney is out on 10 June 2016.

Paul McCartney

Pure McCArtney 4LP vinyl

Shop Price GBP Stock

Paul McCartney

Pure McCArtney 4CD deluxe

Shop Price GBP Stock

Paul McCartney

Pure McCArtney 2CD

Shop Price GBP Stock
HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 9.99

track_listing

Pure_McCartney_4_CD_Packshot

Pure McCartney / 4CD Deluxe Edition (67 tracks)

CD 1

1 Maybe I’m Amazed (Remastered 2011)
by Paul McCartney

2 Heart Of The Country (Remastered 2012)
by Linda McCartney and Paul McCartney

3 Jet (Remastered 2010)
by Paul McCartney And Wings

4 Warm And Beautiful (Remastered 2014)
by Wings

5 Listen To What The Man Said (Remastered 2014)
by Wings

6 Dear Boy (Remastered 2012)
by Linda McCartney and Paul McCartney

7 Silly Love Songs (Remastered 2014)
by Wings

8 The Song We Were Singing (Remastered 2016)
by Paul McCartney

9 Uncle Albert / Admiral Halsey (Medley / Remastered 2012)
by Linda McCartney and Paul McCartney

10 Early Days
by Paul McCartney

11 Big Barn Bed (Remastered 2016)
by Paul McCartney And Wings

12 Another Day (Remastered 2012)
by Linda McCartney and Paul McCartney

13 Flaming Pie (Remastered 2016)

14 Jenny Wren
by Paul McCartney

15 Too Many People (Remastered 2012)
by Linda McCartney and Paul McCartney

16 Let Me Roll It (Remastered 2010)
by Paul McCartney And Wings

17 New

CD2

18 Live And Let Die (Remastered 2016)
by Paul McCartney And Wings

19 English Tea
by Paul McCartney

20 Mull Of Kintyre (Remastered 2016)

21 Save Us
by Paul McCartney

22 My Love (Remastered 2016)
by Wings

23 Bip Bop (Remastered 2016)
by Wings

24 Let ‘Em In (Remastered 2014)
by Wings

25 Nineteen Hundred And Eighty Five (Remastered 2010)
by Paul McCartney And Wings

26 Calico Skies (Remastered 2016)
by Paul McCartney

27 Hi, Hi, Hi (Remastered 2016)
by Wings

28 Waterfalls (Remastered 2011)
by Paul McCartney

29 Band On The Run (Remastered 2010)
by Paul McCartney And Wings

30 Appreciate

31 Sing The Changes
by The Fireman

32 Arrow Through Me (Remastered 2016)
by Wings

33 Every Night (Remastered 2011)
by Paul McCartney

34 Junior’s Farm (Remastered 2014)
by Wings

35 Mrs Vandebilt (Remastered 2010)
by Paul McCartney And Wings

CD 3

36 Say Say Say (Radio Edit / 2015 Remix)
by Michael Jackson and Paul McCartney

37 My Valentine
by Paul McCartney

38 Pipes Of Peace (Remastered 2015)
by Paul McCartney

39 The World Tonight (Remastered 2016)
by Paul McCartney

40 Souvenir (Remastered 2016)

41 Dance Tonight
by Paul McCartney

42 Ebony And Ivory (Remixed 2015)

43 Fine Line
by Paul McCartney

44 Here Today (Remixed 2015)
by Paul McCartney

45 Press (Remastered 2016)
by Paul McCartney

46 Wanderlust (Remixed 2015)
by Paul McCartney

47 Winedark Open Sea (Remastered 2016)
by Paul McCartney

48 Beautiful Night (Remastered 2016)
by Paul McCartney

49 Girlfriend (Remastered 2016)

50 Queenie Eye
by Paul McCartney

51 We All Stand Together (Remastered 2016)

CD 4

52 Coming Up (Remastered 2011)

53 Too Much Rain
by Paul McCartney

54 Good Times Coming / Feel The Sun (Medley / Remastered 2016)
by Paul McCartney

55 Goodnight Tonight (Remastered 2016)
by Wings

56 Baby’s Request (Remastered 2016)
by Wings

57 With A Little Luck (DJ Edit / Remastered 2016)
by Wings

58 Little Willow (Remastered 2016)

59 Only Mama Knows
by Paul McCartney

60 Don’t Let It Bring You Down (Remastered 2016)
by Wings

61 The Back Seat Of My Car (Remastered 2012)
by Linda McCartney and Paul McCartney

62 No More Lonely Nights (7″ Single Version / Remastered 2016)
by Paul McCartney

63 Great Day (Remastered 2016)
by Paul McCartney

64 Venus And Mars / Rock Show (Medley / Remastered 2016)
by Wings

65 Temporary Secretary (Remastered 2011)

66 Hope For The Future
by Paul McCartney

67 Junk (Remastered 2011)

Pure_McCartney_Pack_Shot

Pure McCartney / 2CD Edition (39 tracks)

CD 1

• 1. Maybe I’m Amazed (McCartney)
  • 2. Heart of the Country (Ram)
  • 3. Jet (Band on the Run)
  • 4. Warm and Beautiful (Wings at the Speed of Sound)
  • 5. Listen to What The Man Said (Venus and Mars)
  • 6. Dear Boy (Ram)
  • 7. Silly Love Songs (Wings at the Speed of Sound)
  • 8. The Song We Were Singing (Flaming Pie)
  • 9. Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey (Ram)
  • 10. Another Day (non-album single)
  • 11. Sing The Changes (The Fireman – Electric Arguments)
  • 12. Jenny Wren (Chaos and Creation in the Back Yard)
  • 13. Save Us (New)
  • 14. Mrs Vandebilt (Band on the Run)
  • 15. Mull of Kintyre (non album single)
  • 16. Let ‘Em In (Wings at the Speed of Sound)
  • 17. Let Me Roll It (Band on the Run)
  • 18. Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five (Band on the Run)
  • 19. Ebony and Ivory (Tug of War)

CD2 (20 tracks)

• 20. Band on the Run (Band on the Run)
  • 21. Arrow Through Me (Back To The Egg)
  • 22. My Love (Red Rose Speedway)
  • 23. Live and Let Die (non-album single)
  • 24. Too Much Rain (Chaos and Creation in the Back Yard)
  • 25. Goodnight Tonight (non-album single)
  • 26. Say Say Say (2015 remix) (Pipes of Peace)
  • 27. My Valentine (Kisses on the Bottom)
  • 28. The World Tonight (Flaming Pie)
  • 29. Pipes of Peace (Pipes of Peace)
  • 40. Dance Tonight (Memory Almost Full)
  • 31. Here Today (Tug of War)
  • 32. Wanderlust (Tug of War)
  • 33. Great Day (Flaming Pie)
  • 34. Coming Up (McCartney II)
  • 35. No More Lonely Nights (Give My Regards to Broad Street)
  • 36. Only Mama Knows (Memory Almost Full)
  • 37. With A Little Luck (London Town)
  • 38. Hope For The Future (non-album single)
  • 39. Junk (McCartney)

2. Only Mama Knows
3. With a Little Luck
4. Hope For The Future
5.  Junk

25 responses to How to buy: Pure McCartney

1. Tim says:

I am still scratching my head as to why a McCartney fan would pay premium prices to rebuy material they already own. Abusive.

• Stevieb says:

Then don’t. Get the 2-CD version for a tenner and have a ‘hits’ compilation, it’s not like you’ll be missing out on any otherwise unavailable material.

2. Chris Squires says:

As above. I have Wingspan on Quad vinyl and I can’t find a reason to get this unless I am missing something. Anyone care to point out the obvious thing (s) I am missing out on, must be something?

Listen to What the Man Said has the spoken intro, which is a first for a singles compilation, I think. But let’s face it some of us just like buying releases from our favourite artists, however marginal the ‘need’ for them may be. I will get the 4LP of this I think just to enjoy the package, artwork etc. Owning stuff can give pleasure even if your not playing it much/ever :)

• Chris Squires says:

Guilty as charged. How many vinyl versions of “Out of the Blue” or “For Your Pleasure” do I really need? I get the owning, the packaging etc. I was thinking musically.

To me one thing that has been missing from this Vinyl resurgence, which I am loving, is that when an album is reissued all of the rare / interesting stuff is Digital only. Wouldn’t it be great if something like the TFF SFTBC release you were part of Paul, had some, most or all of the extras on Vinyl. A Quad LP of that would be stunning and would be ordered at £60-£70 in a trice. It’s sad that virtually all of the recent re-releases the vinyl version is just a 180g version of the exact same original album with NOTHING else as a sweetener.

Don’t disagree… the Steven Wilson stereo mix of SFTBC was issued on vinyl, so that was a bit interesting.

3. DaveM says:

Tim, in my case to hear the remasters of the tracks that have yet to appear via the sluggish archive campaign.

4. Craig Hedges says:

I’m surprised that no one has mentioned the obvious reason for this release… and I’m afraid it’s a bit morbid.
    As we’re all aware we’ve lost a lost of celebrities this year and when Bowie sadly left us it was his compilation albums which did the best business on the charts, the same again sadly with Prince.
    All of Paul’s previous compilations were issued by EMI/MPL, and since he has left EMI (not to mention the fact that EMI doesn’t really exist anymore) none of these compilations are in print now.
    Paul has put out this compilation in the event that… how shall I put this tactfully… he is reunited with John and George. (hope no one is offended). The track listing isn’t a ‘best of’ but more of a showcase for McCartney, sadly this is Paul trying to rewrite history and his legacy again.
    I love Macca but I won’t bother with this release, if it had been all of his singles in chronologically order with B sides on separate discs then I’d have bought it straight away, but after watching Mastertapes this week and hearing Paul’s response to Paul Weller’s question he made it plainly clear that he doesn’t listen to his fans.

5. gwynogue says:

Quote from Paul S – “…some of us just like buying releases from our favourite artists, however marginal the ‘need’ for them may be…”

Agree. I saw ‘ChangesOneBowie’ (CD) in my local store – even though at only 11 tracks (and all available on countless other compilations) it barely scratches the surface of his output, I still bought it. I guess because (to me, at least) it was his first ‘official’ compilation/collection, so it seems like an important one.

I think it’s also a ‘fussiness’ on my part – I found a second-hand vinyl copy of it several years ago and I like to have an ‘exact’ CD companion wherever possible, not just ‘make one up’ using other CD sources.

6. andrew R says:

Paul some advice on the vinyl are there any advantages to it over the 4cd? Bigger book etc as it seems to have less actual tracks. Is the transfer digital or from analogue tapes ? Same team that oversaw the Beatles remastering? Any info or opinion gratefully received. Thanks

Yes, the vinyl is more or less the 2CD version. Doubt very much it’s from analogue tapes, but it will undoubtedly sound good. As you say, you get the pleasure of bigger book and all the usual benefits of the large format. I certainly wouldn’t buy the vinyl expecting it to sound too much better than the CD version, but if that’s your format of choice and you like the look of this compilation then it’s appealing enough, if expensive.

7. Kier Smith says:

Yes, guilty too. I buy anything and everything McCartney puts out. I don’t need any of the above other than to satisfy my own ‘Collection’ I am disappointed that nothing from ‘Flowers in the dirt’ is included here…. as it spans his whole career, it’s important to include songs like ‘My Brave Face’ (One of my all time favourite McCartney compositions) ‘Bip bop’ is possibly the worst song on ‘Wild life’ – oddly I read an interview with McCartney from Q May, 2015 where he actually admitted it was “awful” so why it is included here is beyond me! ‘London Town’ and ‘Back to the egg’ are often overlooked, but – then, McCartney’s material is so diverse, what’s good to one is often not so good to others…….All the best! X

8. Malcolm Jackson says:

To my mind, it’s similar to the Joni Mitchell 4cd set – all the track’s were previously available but this time sequenced by their creator. You don’t have to buy it! By the way, for a brief spell, UK Amazon were doing it for £24.99.

9. Ian says:

I like the cover shot and would be keen to have the booklet. Having been a completist thus far I’ll buy this, however, with nothing new, and some serious omissions my feeling is I’ll buy it eventually rather than when it comes out. There will be sales in record shops and fans having clearouts over time.
    I hate it when a compilation has one or two new tracks, I feel that really is a kick in the teeth to the real fans, so I must say I’m glad they’ve not done that. One thing is for sure, it won’t be the last McCartney compilation

10. Andrew Mogford says:

I preorder everything the day it is announced to take advantage of the price match guarantee. That way, if I don’t like he release day price I can cancel.

At the moment I have the 4 CD set for £24.99 which I will deffo buy and the vinyl version for £69.99 (which will need to drop to £55 or less to become a purchase,

I am looking forward to this set as I love Macca but lost touch with his output after the superb Flaming Pie so looking forward to catching up.

11. Mike the Fish says:

I believe amazon Canada and U.S. allow VAT to be paid at the point of purchase saving costly collection fees on delivery to the UK.

12. Stevieb says:

The timing is also I guess linked to Father’s Day sales. Still, as I’ve got a Lennon, Starr and Harrison compilations as well as several (though not all) of their solo output, plus Wingspan, I’ll get this, probably as the 2CD set. Slightly related, I’d love Apple to release the Beatles 1966 compilation A Collection Of Oldies on CD and 180g vinyl, I’m sure it would sell enough to justify the production cost and wouldn’t really affect sales of 1, 1962-1966 and 1967-1970.

13. scotty_G says:

Hi, agree with all the above, regardless that we already have the tracks in many formats its still a nice addition to our collections, especially in vinyl format with the bigger artwork etc.
    I wouldn’t rush to buy it though, I have a feeling it will tank price-wise and you will pick up much cheaper than it is now. Of course if your a McCartney fan and must have first day release (I’m guilty too!) then go for it.
    I still think a nicer cover with a 70’s -80’s pic would have represented the track listing better, this is from Let it Be which is still Beatles era. Come on Paul how about a Shaved McCartney!!

14. scotty_G says:

On another note, I agree with Stevieb, I’d also like to see the 70’s Beatles compilations of Rock ‘n’ Roll Music and Love Songs reissued; these would look great with their covers in the respective embossed silver foil (Rock ‘n’ Roll Music) and faux leather with gold embossed (Love Songs) covers. I think these were driven by US Capitol Records marketing after the original contractual agreements with all four Beatles expired in 1976 and tend to be dismissed/overlooked accordingly. They were released in many countries, but some countries (ie Australia for me) never got the really nice US or Japanese covers and booklets etc that enhanced he package and collectability. EMI/Parlophone Australia released with very stock standard cardboard covers, standard Parlophone labels and no inserts etc so the marketing excitement of these releases was lost on the Australian consumer. Over the years I’ve purchased US and Japanese releases to add to my collection. Would be great to see these get a refereshed release. Also The Beatles At The Hollywood Bowl would be great !

15. scotty_G says:

Cool Bill. I wasn’t sure. Yes I’ve seen a few pics around the Ram time with a beard but thought they were old pics too ! LOL. Cheers

16. Neil says:

Not that i’m buying it but why is Amazon UK saying that the 4CD deluxe is Currently unavailable when the likes of base.com and HMV to name but two have it available for preorder.

17. JudeMac says:

It is a nice set, mainly for collectors if you already have a “Best Of” collection (s) of his solo work. It does have a few alternate remixes but really only a collector would care, Bingo, that would be me, still might have been nice to have had one disc dedicated to the remixes or 12″ versions of the day. Anyway, my thoughts, everyone has to decide what their wants and needs are with this material.