Features

How to buy the Lazarus Cast Album

lazarus_cast

The news of David Bowie‘s ‘final recordings’ being present on the original cast recordings album of Lazarus, more or less guarantees the album great success, but with a few different editions and retailers out there, what and where to buy?

First off, if you just want the David Bowie recordings, then the easiest option is to get the standard two-CD set. Yes, you could download the three new tracks, but do you really want to do that? End a lifetime of buying and cherishing Bowie’s music with some crappy MP3s floating around on your laptop/mobile phone? Also, you might *think* you don’t need to hear the bloke from Dexter singing David’s songs, but I was really impressed with Michael C Hall when I saw him perform last week.

If you have already decided you want the whole album but are thinking about vinyl, you also have a decision to make – go for the all-black 3LP set available via the usual channels, or opt for the limited edition, which gives you the third LP in the set on white vinyl, and buy via Parlophone’s David Bowie store.

Here’s the thing. In pounds sterling, you pay £52 on the Bowie store, whereas if you buy the black three-LP set from Amazon France or Amazon Canada you pay about half that price. It’s still £20 cheaper on UK Amazon. That’s a big premium for one coloured vinyl record.

But I get it. You WANT the limited version. Like me, you may have missed out on the clear vinyl of Blackstar and you’ll be damned if you’re going to miss out again. However, you do have another option.

db-lazarus-lp-packshotwhite

Limited version also available via Barnes and Noble

It turns out that the “Lazarus David Bowie Store-Exclusive Vinyl” version isn’t quite as exclusive to that retail channel as that statement makes out. You can buy exactly the same limited edition from bookshop Barnes and Noble in the US and it’s quite a bit cheaper at $46.99. Assuming they’re not charging less to US buyers, the £52 price tag at the Bowie shop equates to $67 – $20 more than Barnes and Noble. The courier costs to ship to the US are also expensive from the Bowie store.

Even if you are in the UK, shipping via Barnes and Noble is just $11, giving you a total price of $58 or £45 including shipping, compared to £59 including shipping from the Bowie Store. But of course you may incur import charges, and your precious cargo has a long trip, so on balance probably not recommended.

But if you are in America, then Barnes and Noble will certainly work out cheaper. You might even be able to walk in-store and pick up, come 21 October, although that maybe a high risk strategy, given that this are apparently limited to 3000 worldwide, and you’ll kick yourself if they sell out online beforehand.

Lazarus will be issued in all formats on 21 October 2016.

Various

Lazarus cast recording 2CD

Shop Price GBP Stock

Various

Lazarus cast recording 3LP black vinyl

Shop Price GBP Stock

Buy limited edition 3LP vinyl from the David Bowie Store

Buy limited edition 3LP vinyl from Barnes and Noble

track_listing

CD 1:

1. Hello Mary Lou (Goodbye Heart) – Ricky Nelson
2. Lazarus – Michael C. Hall & Original New York Cast of Lazarus
3. It’s No Game – Michael C. Hall, Lynn Craig & Original New York Cast of Lazarus
4. This Is Not America – Sophia Anne Caruso & Original New York Cast of Lazarus
5. The Man Who Sold The World – Charlie Pollack
6. No Plan – Sophia Anne Caruso
7. Love Is Lost – Michael Esper & Original New York Cast of Lazarus
8. Changes – Cristin Milioti & Original New York Cast of Lazarus
9. Where Are We Now – Michael C. Hall & Original New York Cast of Lazarus
10. Absolute Beginners – Michael C. Hall, Cristin Milioti, Michael Esper, Sophia Anne Caruso, Krystina Alabado & Original New York Cast of Lazarus
11. Dirty Boys – Michael Esper
12. Killing A Little Time – Michael C. Hall
13. Life On Mars – Sophia Anne Caruso
14. All The Young Dudes – Nicholas Christopher, Lynn Craig, Michael Esper, Sophia Anne Caruso & Original New York Cast of Lazarus
15. Sound And Vision – David Bowie
16. Always Crashing in the Same Car – Cristin Militia
17. Valentine’s Day – Michael Esper & Original New York Cast of Lazarus
18. When I Met You – Michael C. Hall & Krystina Alabama
19. Heroes – 4:43 – Michael C. Hall, Sophia Anne Caruso & Original New York Cast of Lazarus

CD 2:
1. Lazarus – David Bowie
2. No Plan – David Bowie
3. Killing A Little Time – David Bowie
4. When I Met You – David Bowie

3LP Edition

Side 1
1. Hello Mary Lou (Goodbye Heart) – Ricky Nelson
2. Lazarus – Michael C. Hall and Original New York Cast of Lazarus
3. It’s No Game – Michael C. Hall, Lynn Craig, and Original New York Cast of Lazarus
4. This Is Not America – Sophia Anne Caruso and Original New York Cast of Lazarus
5. The Man Who Sold the World – Charlie Pollack

Side 2
1. No Plan – Sophia Anne Caruso
2. Love Is Lost – Michael Esper and Original New York Cast of Lazarus
3. Changes – Cristin Milioti and Original New York Cast of Lazarus
4. Where Are We Now? – Michael C. Hall and Original New York Cast of Lazarus

Side 3
1. Absolute Beginners – Michael C. Hall, Cristin Milioti, Michael Esper, Sophia Anne Caruso, Krystina Alabado, and Original New York Cast of Lazarus
2. Dirty Boys – Michael Esper
3. Killing a Little Time – Michael C. Hall
4. Life On Mars? – Sophia Anne Caruso
5. All the Young Dudes – Nicholas Christopher, Lynn Craig, Michael Esper, Sophia Anne Caruso, and Original New York Cast of Lazarus

Side 4
1. Sound And Vision – David Bowie
2. Always Crashing In The Same Car – Cristin Milioti
3. Valentine’s Day – Michael Esper and Original New York Cast of Lazarus
4. When I Met You – Michael C. Hall and Krystina Alabado
5. Heroes – Michael C. Hall, Sophia Anne Caruso, and Original New York Cast of Lazarus

Side 5
1. Lazarus – David Bowie
2. No Plan – David Bowie
3. Killing a Little Time – David Bowie
4. When I Met You – David Bowie

35 responses to How to buy the Lazarus Cast Album

1. Paolo says:

My advice: download the tracks or get the 2CD set, and save money for something better.

• Bassel hassouna says:

My guess is they will probably appear on the lazarus deluxe edition which was announced earlier this year…but who knows

• Chris Lancaster says:

Something better than Bowie?!! I very much doubt such a thing exists.

• Paolo says:

I was actually meaning something better than this musical soundtrack, which in Bowie’s original music plays a very little part. So download the 4 tracks or buy the 2CD set and save on the overpriced vinyl, then put your money on the inevitable ‘Blackstar’ deluxe edition.

2. Bassel hassouna says:

Correction: the blackstar deluxe edition

3. Steve W says:

Well, I’m still glad I preordered it from the official website. :)

4. Mark says:

Word of warning: I pre-ordered the clear Blackstar vinyl from B&N. They cancelled the order on me a week after it went on sale due to lack of stock leaving me high and dry.

• Heinz says:

Same here…..
      (Anyway, I had to get it and bought it on DO for 200,–……yeah, call me crazy…..:-)

This time I ordered from the official store.

• barbelith says:

Barnes and Noble also did not honour my pre-order of Blackstar clear vinyl. To make matters worse they didn’t even email me to say… so I was unable to source another copy.

5. Trash says:

Can’t recall – does the LTD vinyl album come with a download code?
    If so I will stick to the vinyl and skip the CD…

6. Bleddyn Williams says:

I bought the clear vinyl Blackstar from my local Barnes & Noble on the morning of release. They had a grand total of ONE copy! Given that, I decided to play safe this time and preorder my copy. SDE readers might be well-advised to do the same!

7. elliott buckingham says:

or wait for the blackstar deluxe reissue

8. Tom M says:

“That’s a big premium for one coloured vinyl record.” Much more so when you consider it’s only one sided.

9. Johnny Feathers says:

I’m surprised people are thinking they’ll be able to download the new Bowie tracks without the whole album. Record companies have been forcing those kinds of purchases for years–greatest hits sets with one new track, but guess what–you can’t just download the one new track! Maybe I’ll be proven wrong, but the company knows those Bowie tracks will be sought after, and will make them a premium, at least for awhile.

I pre-ordered the download. Yeah, the physical artwork is nice, but it’s probably been at least 5 years since I’ve played CDs anywhere other than my car. (No aux input for my iPod.) So another physical package is mainly just a waste of space for me. (I make exceptions for a few deluxe versions, box sets, and rarities, I just don’t think this one qualifies.) Give me a deluxe Blackstar release, and I’ll probably relent and get a physical copy.

10. Paul Mac says:

Barnes & Noble also cancelled a limited pre-order on me, too. It’s probably worth trying for the saving, but I’d be wary..

11. Dann says:

I will purchased the three mp3 download of the Bowie tracks for $3.87 on Amazon, then buy the Bowie tracks when they get re-issued later.

12. Dann says:

I will purchase the three mp3 download of the Bowie tracks for $3.87 on Amazon, then buy the Bowie tracks when they get re-issued later.

13. RJSWinchester says:

“End a lifetime of buying and cherishing Bowie’s music with some crappy MP3s”

I’m going to continue a lifetime of buying Bowie’s music and BUY the MP3s of the three new Bowie songs. Not sure why so many fans are falling over themselves to buy what will esssentially be an album’s worth of Bowie’s greatest hits sang in a sappy Broadway style. Seriously, it’s one step up from X-Factor.

14. Richard Dowling says:

Got my Blackstar clear from B&N but it took a month and obviously the great man had left us then and it was quite anxious hoping the most desired vinyl at the time would ever arrive.

15. P. E. says:

It’s Bowie; just order it! Play safe and try to save money with some other artist’s releases but with this one just pay the asking price and be pleased to have the album.

16. smorrissey says:

I don’t have a single issue just buying the new 3 Bowie songs only on iTunes, in fact i’m gonna purchase them right now. Why would i bother buying the 2 cd’s version when 90% of those songs are sung by millenials who i don’t even know? not thanks.

Also i’m not an huge Bowie fan either.

If you’re not a huge Bowie fan then you’ve answered you’re own question. But if you are, then a tenner for three new songs is alright by me. If you were rooting around a second hand record shop and the guy behind the counter brought out a promo CD with three bowie studio recordings that were unreleased and said “It’s a tenner” would you walk out the shop in disgust at the price. Most Bowie fans would bite his hand off!!

• Heinz says:

Well said Paul,
        and absolutely right!

• RJSWinchester says:

I don’t think it’s a money issue. It’s the fact that people don’t want schmaltzy covers of Bowie songs infiltrating their music collections!

There isn’t anything schmaltzy about the cover of Lazarus. And you could argue that Bowie’s version is the cover! :)

• RJSWinchester says:

Have you listened to the cover of Life on Mars from the soundtrack? It’s the sort of thing you’d expect to hear on a cruise or the X-Factor!

• Heinz says:

No one is interested in YOUR opinion about what people should have or have not
          in their music collections, “Winchester”.

17. gwynogue says:

Looking at Google Play (Australia), you’ll have to buy the ENTIRE digital album – I guess the record company twigged that people would only want the Bowie tracks. And at $26 AUD, the download is DEARER than the CD!

18. Mic Smith says:

I’ll probably go for the 2CD. I do only want the Bowie songs but as this project was clearly sanctioned by the man himself I think the respectful thing to do is respect him and give it a go. My CD collection is already infiltrated by a lot worse records (bought because one of my favourite artists contributed to them in some way) so that’s not a worry. I’m simply looking forward to hearing and owning these final recordings and that’s the main reason for buying them.

• RJSWinchester says:

I would never buy a record out of “respect”. It looks like the Bowie songs cannot be downloaded seperately, so I’ll pass on them.

19. baward says:

For me, if ever there was an album that should be purchased on black vinyl. its Blackstar…

20. Matt says:

Barnes and Noble? Lame. I refuse to buy vinyl from those hacks. Can’t make it in the book business? I hear this vinyl thing is a bandwagon we can jump on!