Features

How to buy the Roxy Music super deluxe

Roxy Music's 1972 debut to be reissued four-disc 45th anniversary super deluxe edition

SDE examines the pricing and looks for the best deal

More than a month ago the super deluxe edition of Roxy Music‘s 1972 debut was announced. Despite the excitement and cries of “at last!” some fans voiced legitimate queries about missing content (Virginia Plain’s B-side The Wanderer is not included and the expected Steven Wilson stereo mix hasn’t materialised) but it was the pricing of this four-disc box set that caused the real dissent amongst the diehards. Universal wanted £130 for this 3CD+DVD set. No matter how great the content and how high the quality of the book, that seemed like a lot of money for this four-disc celebration of a 45 year old album and rather out of kilter with similar box sets from other artists. So, since that time, has the price come down at all? Are there any good deals? SDE investigates…

The first thing to say is that the price has held firm at major UK retailers such as Amazon and HMV – it’s still £129.99. Universal’s Music in-house operation, uDiscoverMusic is also retailing it at that price, despite being a direct-to-fan platform run by the label.

For the same money, you can head off to the Official Roxy Music Store and buy the super deluxe edition with a FREE PRINT. For a while, these were available for £150 with the print signed by Bryan Ferry, but those sold out in about six hours on the day the set was announced (limited to 500 units).

Amazon in the USA, originally priced it at $89.98, apparently falling foul of an incorrect dealer price that had been communicated to a number of international retailers. That served not only to make the UK pricing above seem more inflated than it actually was, but also lead to many independents around the world having to cancel pre-orders and amend product listings. For example, the Amazon US price rose by a cool $100 to $189.95, although right now it stands at $162.44.

Despite all this confusion one vendor has maintained a very low price and not increased it at all in the last five weeks. That retailer is Amazon Canada. Their price of CA $116 equates to about £68 – a little over HALF the UK price. This is the best deal by far right now.

The second best deal was courtesy of a certain Mr Phil Manzanera. He was selling the box set for £100 and was throwing in a signed postcard and free T-shirt to boot! Sadly, this offer has now expired.

The Roxy Music reissue will be released on 2 February 2018. SDE spoke to both Andy Mackay and Phil Manzanera late last year to discuss it and those interviews will be published in the next few weeks.

Roxy Music

• 2 H.B.
  • The Bob (Medley)
  • Chance Meeting
  • Sea Breezes
  • Bitters End
  • Virginia Plain

DISC THREE (disc two on the 2CD deluxe)

THE BBC SESSIONS

• Would You Believe
  • If There Is Something
  • Sea Breezes
  • Virginia Plain

54 responses to How to buy the Roxy Music super deluxe

1. RobM says:

The price of the big set at Amazon Canada is fluctuating wildly and almost daily. It was over $200 CAD a couple of days last week. They obviously have caught on.

I am from Canada but buy from every Amazon site. I notice that the Cdn and US sites often use heavier grade cardboard boxes for shipping. As a result, I get far fewer returns than from my European orders. Obviously distance is a factor too, but the last order I got from the UK was literally held together by DHKre-pack tape

2. Steven says:

When there are so many other great release styles out there – Tull, Yes, XTC, Gentle Giant, King Crimson – this is an obvious money grab. I would like the 5.1 but will not pay this for it. I work hard for my money and spend it wisely.

3. Gorecki says:

How to buy the Roxy Music super deluxe?

Check price…. sell kidney…. buy box!

I was discussing the pricing of this and various other boxes a few weeks ago with my Dad (of all people) and he put it this way: ‘most people inherently know what seems a ‘fair’ price for a given product’ – I think he’s right there.

Perhaps, as this is on Universal (or UMG, UMC, whatever), after a while it will be reissued at a less extravagant price with less extravagant packaging – a la NMTB and PiL’s Plastic Box.

Then I can retain my internal organs…

4. Andrew B says:

Easiest way to buy this :- 99p bargain bin 1999 CD copy from discogs, give the other other £119 to charity. Pop that in your pipe and smoke that Ferry.

or

get the complete studio recordings box set

5. Mathew Lauren says:

So, this item is just sitting in my Amazon checkout queue. After the recent “FM ’75” DD5.1 – only, disc debacle, at an Amazon, USA price of ~ $76 delivered, I started to re-examine some of the upcoming SDE offerings; as well as those on which I’ve passed for now, mostly due to an excessive price point, for items I’ll never use in certain SURROUND SOUND box sets.

The “Roxy Music” SDE is listed @ ~$162.00 ‘in the states’ and the surround disc is described as 5.1 – only, which most-likely means ‘lossy’ DD5.1 DVD-V. I just learned the hard way – again. I had faith that since all the other FM 5.1 SDE’s utilised the DTS 24/96 5.1 audio codec, that this most awaited for release would also be 5.1 dts 24/96. I was wrong and THEY DON’T CARE.

If we’re being honest, “FM ‘75” should have been ‘meridian lossless’ DVD-A or Blu-ray music 24/96 Dolby TrueHD. Since “AVALON” was glorious DSD via SACD multi-hybrid, this release belongs on Blu-ray music as part of the SDE and SACD as a stand-alone disc!

I, truly, don’t understand even the premise of the quandary here. We are simply being ‘shafted’ for access to an item ‘they’ full-well know there was a HUGE request. Request = DEMAND which leads to greed in a ‘free market.’

Boycott!

It’s not even a DTS 24/96 5.1 DVD-V!

Until we pass on ‘street date’ pricing and substandard surround-sound disc formatting, we’re gonna continue to get the least, for whatever these
    @$$#0£€$ feel the market (us) will bear — that is, what we will pay!

Change starts with us!

This is a no-brainer. As for the question posed above, there is simply, no way to buy this SDE at this time.

6. Andreas says:

How to buy Roxy Music super deluxe? Easy! DON’T!!

7. Carl says:

I got stung importing from outside EU ,customs charges were ok but the post office added £8 just to handle it , is there a work around?.

8. Ian Hartley says:

Sounds like those interviews might make a lovely little booklet to go with the box set Paul. Any chance? I loved your work for the Macca box and it sits really well enhancing the box set with some exclusive content that increases the enjoyment of the (expensive) purchase. Agree that the pricing on this is a bit bonkers, but then I went and treated myself to one of the 500 signed versions for (a late) Christmas ! We all have our weaknesses and the fact that all 500 sold within 6 hours tells you that it’s not just me, although I wonder how many will be on E Bay the day after delivery.

9. Kauwgompie says:

This is a decent box but yes, the price, it’s more or less insanity. I wonder if this is a somewhat limited print and therefore sold out next year or is this mass produced and will it be available in the foreseeable future? If this is rather limited, then it’s probably good to buy from Canada now. If not, one should wait for a Deal Alert. No one should be paying $150 for this box.

Paul, is there any way to find out how many boxes are printed of any SDE and communicate that here? Perhaps not a fixed number but “a lot” or “not so much” would help with making the decision to wait for a Deal Alert or sweep it up when you get the chance. You wrote earlier that the Def Leppard “Hysteria” box was going out of print. That made me decide to get it in the last 3 for 2 from Germany. That was massively helpful.

• Chris Squires says:

Seconded Kauw.

I know there is an element of “it should be about the music” and you either want it or you don’t. But there are so many factors at play that the number produced does matter. Most of us, I suspect, have different trigger points for different things. VFM, love of artist, love of particular album, quality of the package. Something makes us leap at a given point whether pre-order or two years down the line. I suspect many here would jump earlier and possibly for a more unreasonable price if it were confirmed to be a run of 3,000 worldwide instead of 30,000. Even if that 30,000 is described as “limited”. A case in point is the Beatles Christmas 7″ box set and the McCartney Coloured LPs. I feel many would have missed the boat with the 7″ Beatles set as it was belatedly confirmed (I think – correct me if I am wrong) to be a set of just 1,500 whereas I have the feeling that the McCartney set will run into the 10s of thousands.

A company should be banned from stating “limited edition” at all if it can’t provide a specific number and all albums with a stated limited edition run should be numbered. Why wouldn’t they want to?

40 years ago 20,000 would have been a limited edition run, now anything outside the big boys of Beatles, Bowie and a few others and 2,000 is a decent amount with no immediate panic. 500 seems to be the lower end of the mark but at least we will know what that mark is…..

SDE should start a campaign of “name that number” or whatever to force a bit more honesty from producers of sometimes extremely expensive material.

• Kauwgompie says:

That’s right Chris, there are many issues with “Limited Edition”. A truly limited edition should be exactly that, a limited edition. The only way to know if it is truly limited, is if it is numbered. How many times have people bought an item marked as “limited edition” and 5 years later it is still available on Amazon?

Sometimes cd’s get numbered but they are not a limited edition. It’s rare but it happens. I have a Paul McCartney numbered “Unplugged” cd. But then I saw many in-store copies that were not numbered but otherwise exactly the same. Same with a Stevie Wonder “Songs In The Key Of Life”. I have a numbered digipack but otherwise the same as the regular album. At least that is a digipack. The Paul McCartney Unplugged was literally the same.

At the end of the day almost all boxes are limited editions except a few from the big stars. Eventually they all go out of print. Key is to find out which box is printed in what quantities. David Bowie “Sound & Vision” and Rod Stewart “Storyteller” seem to never go out of print. Even after Trump presses that “bigger than yours red button” on his desk, those box sets will still be printed.
        I do admit I am more likely to buy something that is a limited edition because if I ever need to sell box sets for money, I know I always can because most likely they will eventually be out of print. At minimum I can get my money back or more. And of course it is also the feeling that you own something truly special.

• Gorecki says:

A indie record store owner I spoke to back in the mid-90s (?) defined ‘numbered limited edition’ as ‘limited to the number of units they believe they are likely to sell’.

After seeing the aftermaths of several RSDs where 80-90% of stock goes on the day and the rest disappears steadily over the next few weeks I’m inclined to believe this might actually be true.

10. mm says:

Have no quibbles at all with the content,but can someone explain the presence of the twelve minute version of If There Is Something on the big box,and yet it isnt listed on the 2cd?I cant see how this can be possible anyway,as it would take the time of the cd over 80 minutes?If this is present then fantastic,but a hell of a lot of people will be dissapointed if it ain’t ,as its a killer!

11. Andrew B says:

Nah got the last box set, not getting this one. Saving the money to eat this month.

12. Mark Sinclair says:

I think it’s time all vinyl releases came with a lossless FLAC/WAV download of the actual audio used to cut the vinyl.

I’m fed up of compressed MP3 digital downloads provided with vinyl.

• RJS says:

Begs the question, why do you buy vinyl in the first place?

• Chris Squires says:

The answer is simple, for me anyway. I wouldn’t want to answer for anyone else.

When I want to *listen* to music, end of the day, weekend, whenever I feel like it. Sitting in A1 position, no distractions, cup of tea and a digestive biscuit. That’s when vinyl comes into it’s own. Nothings sounds better.

When I want some music *on*, whilst working, preparing a meal, doing some housework, reading the paper, falling asleep on the couch…in the bathroom. I then use spotify or a CD, it’s there but more often than not I am not actively listening to it, but still preferable to silence.

It’s how vinyl makes me feel and no-one, not even you RJS :-) can argue with how something makes one feel. Totally subjective and therefore immune from “No it isn’t” or “That’s stupid”. Vinyl, to me, sounds better and makes me feel better when I listen to it. That’ll do for me.

• Paul English says:

@ Mark Sinclair

Vinyl releases should come with both.
      FLAC / WAV
      and
      MP3 at 320 kbps

The latter is desirable if importing into iTunes and then onto iPhone.

13. Andre Denis says:

I really would like to buy this set from Roxy Music and also the Eagles Hotel California SDE.
    But I will not buy those for these price I have to pay now.
    I have learned from the huge Pink Floyd box which is (was ?) limited but it is still available at better prices everywhere.
    So I will be patient for now and see what happens in the near months ……….

14. Modulo 1000 says:

In my opinion its better to wait …like in pink floyd early years box and tons of other cases in time the price drops in half and less …if nobody buy at high prices amazon system drops the price ….so do yourself (and others) a favour and wait…its very rare that in that high price tag it will become sell out

15. eric Slangen says:

Indeed as much as I wanted for this box but this is robbery.

16. StephenBC says:

Thanks for the info. Just purchased from a set from Canada. It’s around A$142 with shipping which isn’t too bad considering we get ripped off for most music releases here in Australia anyway.

I’m just worried that they might cancel our orders once they receive the discs and they find they’ve listed them at the wrong price.

17. David Fearon says:

Considering that this is more than a year’s subscription to Spotify the price certainly seems unreasonable.
    I do wonder if they set their sights too low, that is more would buy the physical product if the price was lower.

18. Daniel L says:

PopMarket has on ‘sale’ today for a CRAZY EXPENSIVE $149 USD NO THANKS!

Considering Canada but still too expensive. When nobody orders them I suspect the price will drop and look forward to seeing an SDE PRICE ALERT on this or else I’ll be giving it a skip.

19. Poptones says:

Way overpriced. Even though it’s one of my favorite albums ever, I won’t pay more than £50 for this box set.

20. Miguel Rocha says:

Are you sure The Numberer isn’t the track listed as Instrumental? It is, after all, if I remember correctly, an instrumental.

21. Neil R says:

I ordered the set from Amazon US last year at $89 – my ordered hasn’t been cancelled yet – wonder whether they will honor it?

22. Kevin Galliford says:

I’ve ordered the Bowie “New career…” box set from Amazon & coupled with not having to pay VAT where I Live, it worked out to cost me 53 quid. Maybe worth waiting a few months before buying, there’s no way it’s worth that price!

23. Greg J says:

How to Buy?
    1: Be part of the 1%
    2: Rob a bank

24. Guy V says:

I usually jump all over these Stephen Wilson 5.1 mixes, but this pricing is totally out of line and I will wait as long as it takes to get it at my price. The Jethro Tull pricing should be the standard to judge these sets by. You can purchase 4 Jethro Tull deluxes for the price of this. RIPOFF!

25. regan judson says:

Order placed with Amazon Canada. Thanks Paul!

26. Rare Glam says:

Send for the outrage of the Steve Hoffman board a la Bowie’s ‘Heroes’ maybe they can get another camapign going to re-master the actual album (1999!!) and add the errant B Side!

• Kevin M says:

The album doesn’t need remastering. There was a box set of the Roxy albums not that long ago, flat transfers that were hugely well-received (I haven’t heard them).

And yet they’ve gone way back to the (often seen in bargain bin charity shop land) 1999 remaster.

As Eno sings on the final track……. bizaaaaare

27. Michael Leek says:

Thanks Paul – fab job £80 all in from Canada

28. Rare Glam says:

Yes, I will also wait for price to drop though being an all CD set it is likely to take longer to do so than viny or mixed media sets.

While we’re at it, I noticed the upcoming CD sized, 6 CD clam box set by The Monochrome Set – Complete Recordings 1979-85 (4 are just the 11 track albums, 30 mins each) is on at £114 on Amazon UK and over £100 most places. The German label issuing it is pre-selling at at a healthier E68. We haven’t left the EU yet, so no import VAT, where’s the price difference coming from?

• EW99 says:

Thanks for the Monochrome Set info, I hadn’t heard about this box set. After the €5 postage it came to £68.49 from the Tapete site which, while not an absolute bargain, is really pretty reasonable.

I would have liked the Robert Forster 7″ as well but that worked out at around £16. For me that’s too much for just two tracks.

29. Kevin M says:

Don’t buy it at any price and encourage them.
    The 1999 remaster in this set is available for absolute peanuts on CD.
    The original UK tracklisting excluding Virginia Plain hasn’t been reinstated, and that song’s B-side is missing.

30. elliott buckingham says:

amazon Canada seem to be the cheapest for everything just shows how overinflated amazon uk is

31. Darren Briscoe says:

Very overpriced. Puts me off collecting any future RM releases.

32. Rob says:

It’s tempting to order it from Amazon Canada, but what is the likely import cost?

33. Gary says:

Paul the B-side to Virginia Plain is The Numberer. Do I win a free copy of the box? Haha.

34. voxstarstream says:

I’m glad I pre-ordered mine last month from Amazon.ca…amazing that price is still holding! I also pre-ordered the Miles Davis/John Coltrane live 4-CD set while I was at it, as they had the best price on that title as well.

35. Lemmin says:

That is a whole lot of nothing for a whole lot of money. Nothing in this set justifies the price at all. If there weren’t plenty of box sets released in the last few years that had the same if not more content it wouldn’t be so blatant.

36. Adrian says:

It’s not worth £68 either
    It’s an ok album from the glam days of the early. 1970s

37. Paul Spurgeon says:

So overpriced. Will wait a year and get it for a more reasonable £39.99 on a SDE alert deal…