Features

Saturday Deluxe / 12 August 2017

Mobile Fidelity are bringing out a new vinyl edition of Donald Fagen‘s classic debut The Nightfly. It’s actually a 45RPM box set edition and is described as the “ultimate analog edition” of the 1982 album.

The label are certainly talking it up… telling us that Fagen’s solo debut reaches “three-dimensional sonic and emotional heights never before attained by analog recordings on Mobile Fidelity’s opulent UD1S (UltraDisc One-Step) box set”. Admittedly, the packaging sounds good – this comes in an “opulent box and special foil-stamped jackets.

Despite all the blurb from Mobile Fidelity, they don’t confirm if this is a 2LP vinyl set. One presumes that it is, because even though the album clocks in at under 40 minutes, you’d still expect a 45RPM pressing to be over four sides.

The Mobile Fidelity site talks of 6,000 numbered copies, although this is listed as 5,000 elsewhere. The label stress that “no expense has been spared” with this edition, but even so, this is incredibly expensive for one 8-track album, as you can see by the prices below. You can buy it from MOFI’s site for $100 though, where you can also read more about why they think this is so good! Everyone here at SDE I’m sure wants great sounding music, but would you pay £100 or $100 for one album? Leave a comment and let me know.

Donald Fagen

The Nightfly [VINYL]

I had a great chat with Steven Wilson this week about his new album To The Bone. That interview will be published on SDE soon. The record is released next Friday, but here’s some advanced warning that on Wednesday next week I’ll be putting up some last minute pre-orders on the SDE Shop for a limited quantity of CD, Vinyl and Blu-ray editions of To The Bone that will all come with a postcard SIGNED by Steven Wilson. I’ve been listening to a preview copy of To The Bone over the past couple of weeks, and I’m really loving it.

Slightly belatedly… I’d like to officially announce the winner of the Psycho competition. SDE reader Victor Bustamante (from Spain) was randomly selected at the winner and his prize has gone out to him. Thanks to everyone who entered! SDE has some more great competition prizes coming soon, including David Bowie‘s Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust on gold vinyl and a copy of the recent Boney M. vinyl box set.

120 responses to Saturday Deluxe / 12 August 2017

1. Mark S says:

Absolutely love that album but that price is just embarrassing. Struggling to think how that could ever be justified. I just wouldn’t ever pay that.

• Tom of FIN says:

Spot on, Mark. There are all kinds of signs in the market that vinyl renaissance has gone it’s course and is ripping itself off.

• Stefan B. says:

This one the best albums ever. Fantastic Music and sound!! But this price is more than a “Touch too much”. It would be good to send a sign and NOT buy this record. All collectors and fans: Be strong!! RocknRoll for ever – and not Profit!!

• DJ Berexa says:

This is a great Donald Fagen solo album and I’m sure it will sound fantastic. I just checked the MFSL site and now it does list as 2 LPs. I have owned every Beatles MFSL Vinyl, Bowie “Ziggy Stardust”, Stones “Sticky Fingers”, “Blind Faith ” , Queen ” A Night at the Opera ” etc. I have NEVER been disappointed with MFSL vinyl. Yes agreed the price is steep , but they go to the absolute end of the spectrum to ensure exceptional quality. Their current CD and SACD releases continue the same high standards. But $ 99.oo is a lot for one album. DJ Berexa Pgh.

• Barry says:

Probably an unpopular opinion but I could never understand the renewed interest in vinyl. I’ve been there and had a huge vinyl collection but unfortunately sold off all my now highly valued LP’s before the resurgence for next to nothing. Instead I went for the surround option when I revamped the hardware and haven’t regretted it a bit. Which brings me to Nightflight, a great album but I missed the DVD-A version before it became prohibitively expensive. I however acquired the SACD 5.1 from Japan a couple of years ago which still sounds great at far less cost and goes well with the SACD of Gaucho. Just a quick mention too of the DVD-A of American Beauty. Brilliant.

• Huge Cockup says:

Barry, if you dialed back the hyperbole you might even get the correct album name. Huge indeed.

‘Goes well with the SACD of Gaucho’ – superfluous flufforama

2. Martin says:

Love the Donald Fagan album – Not heard for a while but £100+! Someone is seriously having a laugh. There is no wonder record companies see vinyl as an excellent way to fleece fans

3. greg says:

Jbhifi here in australia http://www.jbhifi.com.au are selling Steven wilson’s to the bone with the signed postcard to , for anyone who is interested.

4. Patrick Gleeson says:

First off, it was digitally recorded so one wonders how “analogue” it is. Secondly the DVD-A issue is the definitive version IMO, and would work out about the same price – assuming you could locate one.

• Peter says:

I agree with that… the DVD-A 5.1 mix (and the 2.0 mix too!) sounds so incredible that it is hard to presume there is noticeably better sonics to squezze that on a piece of vinyl…

• Bill says:

Right on all points. About $70 too much, and you’d probably need to be sitting in their remastering lab with the best equipment in the world to notice any improvement over the already excellent DVD-A. Still, I’ll watch where the price on this goes, the collector in me doesn’t shut down as easy as my practical/reasonable side.

• Robert says:

You can buy the Japan hybrid multi channel SACD for a bit over £20 + postage. I prefer it to the DVD-A even though it’s the DVD-A just given a DSD transfer

• DDB9000 says:

I was just going to say a similar thing. I luckily got the DVD-A when it first came out, and it’s great.

Do I like vinyl? Yes.
      Is this likely better sounding than my original vinyl copy? Probably.
      But $100 or above? No way!

5. WHAT!!! says:

Mofi are talking Sonic Bollocks!

Over £100+ for an LP, “opulent box and special foil-stamped jackets” – what a pile of shite. You have got to be feckin` mad or have hit the Lottery jackpot to buy this and then never open the box never mind play the bloody thing. No doubt there are 5/6000 idiots on the planet to encourage this record company madness.

• WHAT!!! says:

I forgot to say. After my original LP got knackered through repeat plays throughout the `80`s I managed to pick up a mint copy still sealed for £1.75* from a charity shop.

*I gave them an extra fiver and still got a bargain.

6. Rob C says:

Has there ever been a remastered version of The Nightfly? I have the original CD copy, a longtime fave, and would love an updgrade.

7. WHAT!!! says:

And now for something completely different.
    I have the Steven Wilson SE Box on order from his on-line store. This is a guy who has talent seeping out of his fingers. Prog/Rock/Pop, this guy blends the lot and produces great music. In dacades gone by his face and music would have been all over the TV & Radio. He is truly a Peter Gabriel of the new millennium.
    That`s better, posting a positive comment.

8. DaveM says:

I recently paid £40 for the MOFI Hybrid SACD of Procol Harum’s A Salty Dog which I thought was steep. But then I played it, absolutely the best mastering ever, as is usually the case with MOFI. They always end up my go to versions. Don’t know about vinyl MOFIs as I don’t have a turntable, but the flaw with Nightfly, as pointed out is its a digital recording anyway.

• Chris Squires says:

My vinyl MoFis are my go to versions. The MoFi album I have the most comparators to is Abandoned Luncheonette which is stunning. They just do it so well. The only things that are close are the “classic albums” releases which are pretty good too. So done well, (and they generally are) they can shine. Most Mofi Vinyl ends up at around £40 – £50 on ebay anyway so to start at twice that is a stretch.

• WHAT!!! says:

I have 20-30 MoFi LPs and they are great, Beach Boys, Tears For Fears, Love, Dylan etc. I have paid from £25-£45 but £100? No way, the £45 was for Dylan`s `Blonde On Blonde` 3xLP Box Set. I have paid £100+ for multi-album boxes (Small Faces, Pretty Things, Kinks, Tom Petty, Beatles, Dylan boxes to name a few). That`s if I don`t buy music for 2/3 weeks, so I am not adverse to spending large amounts on my music.

Why didn`t Mofi produce 15,000 copies and sell them for £50-60. They could have applied the same care to the mastering on their “Opulent UD1S (UltraDisc One-Step)” system and produced their “opulent box and special foil-stamped jackets” and still made a tidy profit on their “33.3%”* analog edition. There would have been no shortage of buyers at a more decent price. Most fans only have the CD edition which is shyte mastering.

*my words.

• Lemmin says:

Exactly WHAT!!!!, been saying that myself about several releases like this. But in the end they are hedging their bets. They feel certain they can rip off 6000 people for double the price instead of simply lightly fleecing 20,000 at £40. They run the risk of discounting or not selling 5000 copies if they go with the latter. Physical media is slowly morphing down to a luxury item with vinyl and album box sets being the end game.

9. Haro Musters says:

I love it, everybody is up in arms about this MOFI Donald Fagen release. MOFI already released Santana’s Abraxas and Bill Evans’ Sunday at the Village Vanguard as ultra disc one step titles to great critical acclaim. Yet everybody seems to be convinced this Donald Fagen digital recording can not sound better than any of the previous releases of that title. Please folks, wait for it to be released and then judge about the sound quality. Regarding the price: who cares if it’s (above) $100,=? Nobody forces you to buy it! Stick to your DVD-a or SACD or your previous vinyl edition. Having said that…it’s not a bad investment. As far as i know both Santana and Bill Evans are sold out, and prices on Discogs are already way above $200,= each. Go figure…

It may be amazing… but it’s not unreasonable to debate the price and the issue about digital recording. MoFi are using language that makes the readers think this is an entirely analogue process, which it’s clearly not if you are starting from digital!

• ashley says:

Perhaps Mobile Fidelity has a new “electronically re-channeled for analogue” process.

• Trash says:

Paul –
        Personally I agree with the fact that it is not unreasonable to debate the price. What I personally find objectionable is the people that seem to feel that anyone that does want to pay this price is automatically ‘an idiot’.

Personally I love the album but I wouldn’t want to pay that price for it even though my budget would stretch to it. However if someone does want to pay that price for it that is their choice – there is no ultimate right or wrong. I wish people would remember that and be a bit more open-minded.

Reading the announcement did remind me what a great album this is and prompted me to buy a mint copy from Discogs…

• WHAT!!! says:

Yeah, go figure…

These releases are only worth the price someone is prepared to pay and there are still a lot of LPs that can bring a big price. That is for now. In 20-30 years time the market will be flooded with vinyl. Why? Because the majority of collectors are dying off – fact. There will be nobody interested in LPs in 2050. So if you are looking to invest in this type of release beware.

Go figure…

Better still, go ask those Elvis fans who thought they had their retirement fund sorted.

• Chris Squires says:

It depends and it mainly depends on the artist. The big, timeless artists will always have a market, age will not wither them. The usual suspects of Queen, Bowie, Bush, Beatles, Floyd and so on. There will still be a market in 20 years time for this rank of artist. It’s then down to choosing the right release. Whisper it quietly but I have 9 (nine) sealed vinyl copies of Aerial (plus 3 to play) which I bought at or around the time of release (whenever I saw one languishing on a shelf) and a few years later (bought the last one in 2011). That is, to me at any rate, a decent set of things to have. Even if they were worthless I wanted them as I happen to be a bit of a fan of hers. So get the right artist, get the right album in the right condition….. At the time I bought them I had no idea Kate would still sell, I had no idea there would still be a vinyl market 12 years later. I bought them ‘cos I love her music and I could afford it and they look beautiful and the album isn’t bad either. What is spoiling it are the ranks of poorly chosen releases that will have no long term value such as the Queen Forever Box Set.

I am not sure how and why the act of collecting, possession and value seems to have become a dirty word. I work hard and spend my money how I want on what I want, which surely is the entire point, lost on some of the more radical or socialist commentators who rail at every niche product or piece of vinyl seen as elitist or every sale by Amazon….

10. Boaz Halachmi says:

The MOFI box will be worth every penny. This is the third they issue on this series, after Santana and Bill Evans. Both were limited to 3,000 copies and sold out fast. I have both and a pre order for Fagen. The sound is amazing amazing!!!

• Boaz Halachmi says:

… And it is 2LP.

• Julian Hancock says:

The Santana and Evans albums were both originally analogue albums. The Fagan album wasn’t,which is why some people are understandably a little sceptical.

• Tom of FIN says:

Exactly, Julian. As Paul himself pointed out. More vinyl marketing hype in the air.

Present artists’ new records issued as analogue vinyl is clearly deceiving and a very harming trend – in the long run too.

11. tom says:

That Nightfly reissue will turn over 1/2 million smackers(obviously shared between different parties) …not a bad money earner for someone. I am sure they will sell out as there are easily 6,000 massive fans with the available cash world wide. I can see this sort of thing taking off as a quick cash flow boost for many established/classic artists.

12. Ben Williams says:

I paid 50p for this Donald Fagen The Nightfly from a record shop. Definitely not worth an extra £99.50 for a high fidelity copy! :-D

13. Auntie Sabrina says:

confirms this is a 2 LP vinyl edition. It’s a fantastic record and probably worth it to the collectors out there…

14. Robert Laversuch says:

Own the CD and the box set from several years ago adore Steely Dan and all things related but 100 bucks seems a mite steep so no go here

15. J says:

No for most LPs
    Yes for this LP
    J

16. Neil McL says:

Hi Paul do you have a time you are putting Steven Wilson up on Wednesday as really want one and sometimes don’t get the emails straight away (plus have to work unfortunately) thanks again for the extra effort to get this.

PS it would have to have Donald Fagan in the box to pop out and play it for that price. If you look at it against the Fleetwood Mac Tango or Pepper it is madness

17. adam shaw says:

I love Donald’s first album but $100 , no thanks .
    The cd versions of this have been poor as well , even the one in his Nightfly trilogy box set . Rather they remastered that properly than this release .

18. Daniel says:

Interested to hear the Steven Wilson on BR. The Marillion MC BR was startlingly good. My surround sound has never gotten such a workout!! That entire Marillion box was great, as was the Blancmange box (content, sound, and packaging was AMAZING)!! Thanks for the heads up on both!!!

19. Straker says:

I’m not defending the price of that Nightfly release but I occasionally buy limited edition signed, hardcover first editions of a certain author and they can sometimes come in @ £100. I’d find it hard to justify to others why I want to collect those so I do understand the mentality. Love Fagen’s album but I don’t feel even slightly compelled to own this so I do have some self-control!

Just to clarify – I do think $100 or £100+ is a lot of money.. but I can also understand why people might want to pay it if the product is really outstanding and it’s a favourite album etc. I’m a bit of on the fence. I don’t think anyone doubts that MoFi have issued some great stuff over the years.

• Dean says:

You really shouldn’t be on the fence. As a blog that champions fans needs and wants, there is only one response to this pricing, and it ain’t pretty. You’ve gone off on tirades for much less.

I haven’t heard it yet, or seen it. I do champion fans needs and wants but I also champion amazing physical product where genuine love, care and attention has delivered something amazing. Maybe if/when I hold this in my hands and listen to it, I might decide (against the odds) that it’s a worthwhile indulgence.

That’s why I’m not condemning it outright.

• Dean says:

But that’s the point, Paul. What sound quality would you imagine, today, would justify the best part of £150 for a single album of material? For me – it’s impossible to justify that. It might be the best sound ever for this title, but it’s still way way way over-priced. I don’t have to hear it to know that’s too much to ask. It’s obscene. You had a rant about some songs being download only – but you’re willing to give £150 for an album the benefit of the doubt? Seems odd.

• Chris Squires says:

Surely the point is that it’s only opinion Dean. You say “For me – it’s impossible to justify that”….. followed by “It’s still way over-priced”. Perhaps it is perhaps it isn’t, time and ears will tell, but it doesn’t make it so just because you can’t or won’t pay for it. One man’s stupid price is another man’s bargain.

Bugatti still sell their Veyron, “Overpriced” or “engineering marvel” – opinion is probably divided on lines of whether you can afford it and whether you want it.

Every thread here has two linked posts (guaranteed). Box set x by xx priced at £33 for 3 CD + 1 DVD for arguments sake. One post will say “I’m in straight away Thanks Paul” and another post will say “It’s way over priced I might consider it at £18 ….or £15 or £12”. Change the names and the numbers but the argument is always the same…. It can’t be over-priced if people want it at that price and are prepared to pay it… Certainly not just because a couple of perpetual tight-wads always want something for less – or nothing.

20. Robert Harvey says:

The 5.1 channel SACD is available from CD Japan for just under $28 plus shipping. I have this and it sounds great. Not sure how it compares to the DVD-A.

21. Tony Orwell says:

The are pushing the buyers to see just what the market will stand, will end up at £40 or £50 otherwise they will have 4500 copies sitting on the shelf

22. Peas and Love says:

A mad price and a strange choice. Steely Dan…a wonderful as they are… aren’t particularly collectible, you can get original Dan on vinyl for less than a tenner and this record as others have said you can pick up in Charity Shops or bargain bins.

I guess this is aimed at people who, as someone says earlier up the thread, look at records as an investment and most of all – people who wouldn’t baulk at paying £100s for speaker cables or snake oil gizmos that ‘clean’ the electricity supply to their ‘Rig’.

No doubt this pressing will have a “punchy bottom end” as well as “lively mids” and “crisp highs” and all those things that Audiophiles think they can hear better than us mere mortals on a more modest income. I’ll stick with my charity shop copy.

23. gwynogue says:

I don’t think I could pay 100 pounds/dollars for 1 vinyl, but I have been known to go up to 70/80/90 for 1 CD.

That Mo-Fi blurb is hilarious – it sounds like it was written by the same people who write all those beauty-product ones! The phrase ‘digital remastering’ could soon be replaced with ‘audio rejuvenation’. I just hope they don’t mistake the vinyl groove for wrinkles…

24. Shawn says:

$100 for one album? For a “vanilla” album with no extras – no way. I guess I’ve paid it for a few single albums that were greatly expanded (i.e., multi-disc deluxe editions).

25. Marshall Gooch says:

I’ve seen some very positive reviews of the first release in MOFI’s One-Step series, it was a Miles Davis release (I think), but of course it was an analog recording. I could see paying $100 for one of these if it was my fave album by that artist, but it’s highly unlikely they’ll be releasing anything by The Damned this way! And as a matter of fact, the US label Analogue Productions has just put out two early Beach Boys albums on 2×45 vinyl, in my local store about $65, and I think that is nuts. Those albums were barely 25 minutes long–absolutely no need to spread them out on double 45 vinyl. You may as well stand at the turntable the whole time, as often as you’re gonna have to flip over the records!

26. Boaz Halachmi says:

If we’re on the subject … Billy Joel’s Greatest HIts 1&2 is just released by Mofi on Double SACD and LP, 3,000 copies each. It was on pre-order for more than a year… finally out.

27. KennyR says:

Love the album, knew for a while it was coming and the price was OTT.
    Shame because at £45 or so, I would have bought it but not at that price!

28. Nick says:

Where are you getting the £100 price tag from???

The cheapest release is £105 from Amazon Canada…. Plus Import Taxes…. Plus Postage…. so more like …. £125.00 for a double LP worth £30 tops! Or is the box Made of gold…. or are the foil sleeves really solid silver…… LOL …. What a rip off! In reality No one should buy this, its adding to the fuel for these RIP off Box Sets to keep being spewed out at an uncontrollable rate! What next.? We’re being inundated with 50th Anniversary Box Sets… 25th Anniversary, 20th….. 10th…. 5th…. 4th…. 3rd…. 2nd…. 1st Anniversary… ….. suppose you could work down in months too! …….

29. Yani P says:

I have plenty of vinyl from these and the guarantee will be it will sound superb..
    Whether it is worth the price I guess depends on how much you want it…

30. Carl says:

Its taking the new fad for vinyl for a ride ,for me who has a loft full of vinyl i no longer play no thanks.
    It is inferior full stop .I am sure if the artist wanted static and crackles then during this no expense spared project they could have added it.
    I shall be listening to it with headphones on CD and eating a bag of crisps that should give a bit of analogue substance to it.

31. elliott buckingham says:

I’m happy with the sound quality of my Ludwig pressing of the nightfly

32. GK says:

The Quiex Vinyl or DVD-A are both fantastic and most fans would be completely satisfied with either.

33. LedMan says:

I purchased MOFI Santana Abraxas 45 RPM 2 LP from this series of expensive vinyl and personally think it sounds amazing

34. RJS says:

“but would you pay £100 or $100 for one album?”

Not when the album can be bought brand new on CD for £3.99. As somebody wrote earlier, they might be testing the market to see if people will shell out that sort of money. If the 6,000 copies to sell out, expect more of this type of release to follow.

35. alan hansen says:

i’m pleased to see that this forum recognizes this recording as DDD from the get-go – arguably the first commercial one. i have hoped for a(n) SDE of this for ages – one that culls a few peripheral pieces such as “century’s end.” this, then, is certainly not for me – i’ll stick with my Nightfly Trilogy Box for the time being.

36. Ausmonty says:

I have been buying MFSL LPs since the late 70s and early 80s and their gold CDs,SACDs and 180g LPs after that. Their reissues of classic titles, have always sounded superb. Granted that the better your sound system the better the sound, but take it from me. On the MFSL releases you will hear music and instruments that you would not hear on a standard pressed LP or CD. I agree that $100 or £100 for a single title is expensive and you can add another $60-70 if you are in Australia. However as the saying goes ” you will forget about the price once you hear the quality”.

37. Emilio Lafarga Giribets says:

Wouldnt it be a good idea to have a calendar with future releases dates? For example,Im tempted to buy The doors bluray,but then I think,wait,David Bowie boxset also comes that month,is it at the end of the month? I cant remember,so I have to look the date up on amazon websites, and what about DGilmour box?was it on the 15th?the 29th?
    That way we would have all future releases at a glance.
    Anyway, thanks a lot for your website.

38. eric says:

Target is selling this for a ton less than Amazon.

• J says:

Erie
      Correct but hard to believe. Target has a list price of $133.98 but on sale for their price of 99.89. If you have their Red Card if comes to $94.98 with free in store pick up. Music Direct also has it for $99. Walmart & Barnes do not have i. I paid $85 last year for a Quad mix of Pretzel & about the same for a 5.1 disc. Not great pricing but I will take this
      J

• Rich says:

It will be interesting to see which retailers actually receive an allocation sufficient to deliver to their customers. Perhaps Music Direct is channeling some of the higher production quantities to retailers, but I will be astounded to see Target shipping or fulfilling in-store pickup. I’ve personally placed orders for prior Ultradisc One-Step releases with some retailers only to have my order cancelled prior to ship date. And for those retailers who take your funds before they ship, that’s got to be a factor in the decision to checkout your cart.

39. Del Murray says:

I think this kind of release is aimed at those chaps with the high-end hifi equipment and to be honest, those are the only people that are going to get their money’s worth out spending serious dosh on a MF disc. Us poor common folk with Project turntables wouldn’t get the benefit. I’ve got the DVD-A disc and the DTS mix is stunning. That’ll do for me.
    And the Steven Wilson album is the most accessible thing he’s ever done. Not a bad track on it. Prepare to lose the UKs best kept musical secret folks.

40. Tom M says:

Hell, I’m still waiting for my Def Leppard orange vinyl to arrive.

41. Derosa says:

If you actually want one of these copies, order from Music Direct or MOFI themselves. The previous 1 step releases in the series sold out, and just because you order from Amazon doesn’t mean you’ll actually get it.

• Sebastien michel Mills says:

yeah you are right about that ! gotta order directly from music direct or mofi for best chances of getting this :)

42. gootsy says:

The album is a masterpiece and, as others Steely Dan records, has to be heard in all its sheer clear beauty, ok. But I didn’t even start to read your article, just sawing the title and the price and my head went WHAAAAAT? 100$ for an album of 8 tracks is just unaffordable, at least for me. I mean, I wouldn’t even dare to TOUCH the stuff at that price. And I collect records primarily to listen to them (except for the odd picture disc that can be cooly displayed in your music room), so I’ll pass on this one.

43. Wes says:

These records, using the pressing process they outlined do sound better than a “normal” pressing if you have a high enough resolution system to appreciate those details. They will also have very little or no discernible surface noise, and the packaging is first class. If this is an album you absolutely adore, you might well think it’s worth it. Me? I love vinyl but I do not dig flipping a record after every 7-12 minutes, and frankly, Mr. Fagen has never put anything out solo that was even half as good as the worst Steely Dan album IMHO. I do wish MoFi would find a way to reissue high quality versions of the original Steely Dan albums as the ’70s was not a great time for pristine vinyl was it? Also, Katy Lied, one of my favorites, was marred by a mastering process and failed DBX gear that rendered most of the LP as dull and lifeless sounding– and I still love that record despite the dull sound. Here’s a bit of insight on that fiasco: https://www.steelydan.com/dennys3.html . Vinyl pressing technology and the vinyl compounds themselves are worth improving and this is now very doable. So these experiments that MoFi is basically conducting by doing releases like this are ultimately worthwhile if they lead to better vinyl quality in general for everyone.

44. David Rubin says:

Never liked Steeley Dan or Fagan so it is of little thought to me. But it does set a dangerous president for other artists and or labels to start inching the prices up to the High Holy $100.00 mark. I just feel that unless you have an unlimited bank account or a sound system valued at about $100.000.00, how much better will this sound as compared to a plain 180 gram MOFI?
    I really do not think that much.
    Must be nice to have money to burn!
    I do have other releases by Mobile Fidelity and they do set the bar high for sound quality but I feel this is pushing it.

45. Mike says:

I have all the MFSL Dylan titles (Stereo & Mono) on LP and the SACD’s, several other titles as well and they are truly a great audiophile label. The forthcoming Richard Thompson title is retailing at £60-£66 for UK buyers. It can be a nightmare getting hold of some of these labels (Analogue Productions, Musuc Matters etc) material with high postage cost and customs charges on top……back to the topic though, £147 from Amazon for a 2LP set is a bit much. $100 if you were in the US, loved the record and packaging and were prepared to carry it home yourself….well, each to their own I suppose. I’ve paid a lot more for certain records over the years.

46. Friso Pas says:

I own several editions of this album. I just love it.
    The 5.1 DVD-A is great. If you want to hear a brilliant surround mix, get that one, or the Nightfly trilogy boxset, which has his first 3 solo albums on cd and dvd with DTS 5.1 mix and 24bit pcm stereo.

A great sounding vinyl is the 2012 Warner Bros. release, cut for vinyl by Chris Bellman, it is widely available for a normal price (€20 or so, if not less).

But did I hesitate to fork over a lot of money, once more, for a MoFi 45 RPM version, which is a one-time-only release? Nope. Ordered and looking very much forward to it!

There are always a handful of titles, maybe 2 hands full, that you never stop buying.
    This is one of them, for me.
    I know it’s a early digital recording, but the Warner vinyl sounds very good, so I don’t see any shortcomings.

Also this title doesn’t need remastering, people. The old cd and the later released DVD-A are very dynamic, and don’t need any upgrade. It’s one of the most dynamic sounding titles available in any genre. For vinyl it only needs proper care in the lacquer cutting. I expect the best from MoFi, so it will probably be another blast.

47. Todd R says:

Wow.
    Well, as much as I love the archive -dive some of these anniversary box-sets provide, this is a bit over-the-top.
    Mr. Fagen and the entire Steely Dan family catalog I’m sure could provide a huge treasure-trove of goodies, but honestly – just to buy the same album over and over….(I swore I’d quit after picking up his solo-albums box-set)
    For my money? What about a new live collection from the years since TWO AGAINST NATURE – many of those songs have never seen a live release (in the original run or the “current” Steely Dan era). If there was ever a band that could bring the goods – it’s that one. (Not that I’m holding out hope for a live recording of THE CLASSICs from this summer…….nope).

48. Mic Smith says:

I have loved this album since buying it on release in 1982 when it wasn’t that cool to like it. Thanks NME for making it cool.

I wouldn’t pay $100 for a 2LP version. Remastered or not the original CD sounds fine.

Shame Fagen never topped it either. But still among my Top 100 albums ever.

49. Rich says:

a few considerations: (1) While this is a new production process for MoFi, they’ve been producing premium audio for a long time with excellent market reception. They’ve even just begun partnering to make/market their own turntables. (2) MoFi folks are evolving with and responding to market demand for a variety of formats and packaging. It’s only a matter of time, I expect, before they’re embracing HD download formats. (3) If you think the $100 pricing for these One-Step records is steep, just take a look at how the secondary market is currently pricing the first two in the series. MoFi has noticed and this may be a factor in their upping of production quantities (while still maintaining quality via limited production per stamper).

50. Wax Monster X says:

And there is another side to this, actually 4. You place the disc on the turntable, put the needle down, get into that critical listening position and damn, before you know it you gotta get up again, and again… and again. Us old audiophile goats is too creaky for that nonsense.

51. Miguel Rocha says:

Suddenly the set of four Eno records seem a steal! Just over €100, including shipping, from Amazon France. Just hope the friendly people at Canadian customs are feeling generous when my parcel of Eno passes through their hands!!!

52. ross says:

The transparency and detail resolution here are absolutely spectacular

ttps://www.analogplanet.com/content/sunday-village-vanguard-mobile-fidelity-ultradisc-sell-out

53. Jim Galvin says:

Yes, it’s a completely ridiculous and unrealistic price! I can’t afford this at all. I’m so far behind with other box sets etc. I’m in debt up to my ears and living on a fixed income. It’s such an amazing album though. I actually pre-ordered it 2 days ago.

54. Ian McJannet says:

I’d pay it for deluxe Simon & Garfunkel album sets OR The Smiths (self titled)
    & Hatful of Hollow
    BRING ‘EM ON

55. Joachim says:

Well,I might have bought the item for 100 bucks plus postage,but to my utter astonishment I had to find out that MFSL does NOT even send their products to Germany as their seems to be an exclusive distributor that would charge treble(!!) the amount!

No way,I have just bought(at ebay,where else)the DVD-Audio for €35.-which is quite scarce but according to what I have read absolutely worth its asking price.

56. Brian Stanbrook says:

All the poverty in the world and we’re paying $100 for one album!!!!???? Even if it is a masterclass in production & composition…

• John D says:

And if no-one buys the album world poverty will somehow disappear, will it? Virtue signalling is so dumb.

57. John says:

Got to admit to there is a strong sense of “heard this before” about this release, as with similar “high end” limited editions…so while no one has to buy it….yes, it makes for an active website (nice choice Paul!).

So some slag off the audio and/or compare it to other releases…surprisingly before they have even heard it.

Some say they would not buy it while others really look forward to buying.

At least those who have heard something similar – from prior MOFI One Step pressings – universally give them high praise… plus all prior copies sold out well before the releases, they now command high prices, and so on….

Thank goodness for those with some experience, an open minded sense of curiosity…and yes, the very fortunate opportunity to be able to buy such luxuries if they so choose. Thank you to you for your informed experiences and thoughts.

58. BillyD says:

I dislike getting up to flip/change the record every few tracks with these 45rpm versions. Takes away the flow of the original lp.

59. Philip Cohen says:

But why would anyone want an analog representation of Mr.Fagan’s first-ever all-digital recording? I DO love the DVD-A edition. For certain recordings, I do like the vinyl editions(for example, the Beatles’ mono mixes), but some of the things that the vinyl enthusiasts and vacuum tube/valve enthusiasts believe in are totally bogus “Snake Oil”.

60. Eric says:

If it was a limited edition of 100, sure. If was 1000 signed copies, that’s fine. Wouldn’t a cheaper 5.1 CD be better value? A hipster and his money* are soom parted.

*coffee tips

61. Julian says:

Fagen has very recently publicly stated he needs to increase his cash flow since record sales are drying up. Becker is having health problems so Fagen is out on the road with his young Nightflyers band who are no doubt much cheaper than seasoned session players. Got to ask yourself is this just another cash raising initiative .

62. negative1 says:

I collect steely dan items, and also donald fagen solo works.
    So far i have about 54 items, including mulitple copies of nightly,
    and kamakiriad:
    =================
    LP
    CD
    – japanese
    – US
    – re-releases
    – European
    – Gold CD promo

– DVD audio versions

this release wasn’t meant for the casual buyer.

unless you’re a collector, forget about it, and listen to your other versions.

all you people whining about the price, don’t bother reading about these releases,
    and stick with your old copies.

obviously, i’ll get it at some point… the price is NOT an issue… its just another
    checkmark in formats of things to get for me.

i look forward to it.

later

63. Andrew M says:

I bought this up the other day on another story as MoFi finally released the Billy Joel Greatest Hits on Vinyl a couple of weeks ago and they wanted over £100 for that too! It’s a crazy price.

My other issue with this is that I have MoFi’s Glass Houses audiophile pressing and although it is a lovely release with great sound and packaging it is also on two 45rpm vinyls which means it have to get up after a maximum of two songs to change the side of the disc.

It completely ruins the flow of the album.

64. Friso Pas says:

Brian…seriously?? Come on, man. That is so irrelevant. Leave politics at the door please.
    A hobby is a hobby, with more or less passion / personal budget / priorities in life.
    Poverty gets solved if governments spend less on their war machinery. It gets solved pretty quickly then. Don’t mix it with buying favorite music. Thank you.

65. Paul Wren says:

This only makes sense if you have a high end turntable system that will extract the very best from what is clearly a high quality vinyl pressing.

66. Paul Wren says:

I notice that Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs (MFSL/MoFi) released Derek & The Dominos “Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs” on double vinyl, remastered from the original mastertapes. Currently selling in the USA for about $50. You pays your money and takes your choices etc.

67. Johan says:

I think Paul Wren just nailed it: this reissue is for people who want the best sound. I have the Bill Evans One Step vinyl and it sounds surprisingly better than the previous ‘best’ – the 45rpm reissue from Analogue Productions. I don’t have the Santana Abraxas but this is supposedly the best version ever made.
    The Layla MFSL is not a One Step, so it’s cheaper to produce, hence the price. But I must admit: MSFL makes this a premium product that could be cheaper. The Neil Young Greatest Hits vinyl is a One Step issue too and that had a usual retail price. If you compare the sound of the NY GH to the non-One Step Neil Young reissues, you’ll notice the magic is in the One Step process.

68. Scott G says:

Erm… “Mastered from the Original Master Tapes”
    Are we all so sure that this will come from a digital master?

I have always been suspicious of this album. The DVD-A was released as 24bit 48kHz but I had read it was only recorded at 16bit 44.1kHz. Why up-sample then? It would not add anything.

Also many DDD recording also had an analogue studio master recorded in parallel due to artist/producers not being a 100% on board as digital being the best medium to record in and also to listen and compare the 2 mediums. This is well known to have happened in the classical recording world – get it to CD quick but make a high quality analogue master.

I don’t see anything on Mofi that states the actual source is digital so you never know.

• Tom of FIN says:

Good point, Scott, if it reads like that in marketing material! “Tapes” is analogue, definitely, LOL. Hardly lying in MoFi’s case after all.

Have to think about twice, if this release version is worth acquiring driving on my midprice Rega-Cyrus-Gradient/Totem platform with Denon DL-103 cartridge. Sounds like demanding high-end equipment…

• Tom of FIN says:

Oh well, there was for example DAT back in the day. Not that familiar with recording techniques, if master tapes in studios ever were digital?

69. Ian Whiteford says:

I love this album but am just not prepared to shell out that sort of cash for another copy. If it was around the £50 mark then i would have been sorely tempted, but the price tag just makes it out of reach.

70. Steve says:

Greed is not good, Mobile Fidelity ! What a ridiculously high price for Donald Fagen’s ‘The Nightfly’ Mobile Fidelity LP ! I don’t care how they try to justify that high of a price !for an LP, it’s completely out of line.

71. Schu says:

I have zero issue with this type of release.

The marketplace will dictate if they were correct on price and quantity for this product.

Given the price point you will most likely drive out all but those that are the serious collectors and those with disposable cash for this type of item.

Will that add up to 5-6 grand sold at the price they are asking? We shall see . . .they may just be doing more testing of the waters with this release to see where they can go.

72. negative1 says:

I think they should raise the price even more.

Just to see how many more people complain.

later

73. Merck Mercuriadis says:

It seems like you have a fundamental misunderstanding, as do most replying, of what this is. This is effectively a hand made version of one of the most beloved audiophile albums of all time and every step of the process from ensuring the correct tape is used, to the mastering chain, to the immaculate pressing to the quality control is on a par with a £300,000 Bentley that has a 300 layer paint job. It’s not meant for everyone but based on the first two releases in the series – Santana and Bill Evans (both of which are soldout and selling for $500 plus) – the results are sublime and easily evident. Warner has an excellent £20 version of this album but if you take sound seriously and more importantly love this music this will be hard to beat and is the price of a nice meal for 2. FYI one of the most important reissue labels in the world is London’s own Electric Recording Company which reissues near perfect facsimiles of important Classicsl and Jazz albums in editions of 300 copies for £300 each and again if the repertoire on offer is important to you they are worth every penny. Keep up the great work!

74. Yani P says:

I have ordered it but not massively impressed with the email from MoFi
    Thank you for your order. Before we ship to your location, we would like to remind you that your package is subject to taxation upon entry to your country. We have no control over any of these additional fees as they are imposed by your government. Mobile Fidelity will not be held responsible for any and all taxes, duties, VAT, or import fees that are incurred by the shipment. The receiver shall pay any and all costs associated with the shipment. If you refuse shipment and your package is abandoned, YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A REFUND, AND YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR RETURN SHIPMENT.

Please respond if you understand that you may be charged additional fees. In addition, please review our international return policy at the link below and confirm you have done so. We will not ship your order until we receive your response. We thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Now I am a grown up – I decided to place my order, not sure I needed the block caps reply…interesting note on their International shipment policy…

1) Due to the extreme cost of shipping products internationally, should you receive a defective piece music title Mobile Fidelity will not pay for the return shipping of the item. All costs related to shipping an item for a return to and from Mobile Fidelity must be covered by the customer.

So defective item you pay to send and get a replacement – top quality customer service !!

75. Ryan Anderson says:

It would be nice if they could finally deliver a digitally remastered CD of “The Nightfly.” Sadly, Roger Nichols passed away, so he couldn’t be a part of the remastering process. I think the original CD sounds fine, but it is still a 1982 recording. It needs to be digitally remastered and reissued as its own CD outside of a box set.

76. Tom M says:

Nightfly sold out at the MOFI website.