12-inch Dance: 80s Remix

Rhino will issue 12-inch Dance: 80s Remix next month, another good value, three-CD package of extended versions issued in the eighties.

At first glance this looks like just-another-remix-compilation although it’s interesting to note that the label are pre-empting their own reissue of Fleetwood Mac‘s Tango in the Night by including the extended version of that album’s first single Big Love. Remember, that’s not on the cheaper 2CD version of the FM reissue, only the £50 super deluxe edition. Fans will hear it here first, since the FM reissue has been pushed back until 31 March.

The Pet Shop Boys are also notable by their absence, after that rare mix of Paninaro was included in last year’s 12-inch Dance: Indie set from the same label. You can see the full track listing below.

12-Inch Dance: 80s Remix will be released on 17 March 2017. Read more about the Fleetwood Mac Tango in the Night reissue here.

Various Artists

12 Inch Dance: 80s Remix

FNAC fr 6LP coloured vinyl box 9.00

Disc: 1

•   1. Hungry Like The Wolf (Night Version) – Duran Duran
  •   2. Chant No 1 (I Don’t Need This Pressure On) [Remix] [2010 Remastered Version] – Spandau Ballet
  •   3. Pearl In the Shell (12 ” Version) – Howard Jones

•   2. Bedbugs and Ballyhoo (Club Remix) – Echo And The Bunnymen
  •   3. I Won’t Feel Bad (Arthur Baker Mix) – Simply Red
  •   4. Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever (Extended Dance mix) – Nick Kamen
  •   5. Love Changes (Everything) [Love Mix] – Climie Fisher
  •   6. Point of No Return – Nu Shooz
  •   7. Don’t Blame It On That Girl (Rare Groove Mix) – Matt Bianco
  •   8. I Beg Your Pardon (I Never Promised You A Rose Garden) [12″ Remix] – Kon Kan
  •   9. F L M (Two Grooves Under One Nation Remix) – Mel & Kim
  •   10. The Look (Headdrum Mix) – Roxette

80 responses to 12-inch Dance: 80s Remix

1. elliott buckingham says:

these rhino reissue sound awful compared to the cheap crimson label offerings

• Michael says:

CD 03 – Track 03 – Simply Red – ‘I Won’t Feel Bad’ is listed as the Arthur Baker Mix from 1987. (BTW: The track listing information indicates that it is 6:21, although it is only 6:09.) Can someone confirm that this is really the Arthur Baker Mix and not just an edit of the 1985 B-Side extended version mixed by Femi J. I don’t have the originals to compare. Thanks.

2. What I’d like to see is one of these of exclusively Shep Pettibone mixes.

3. Soren says:

Yeah Shep is the man!

4. Jon says:

Jakob,

I know what you mean. Would be great to have one for Arthur Baker, Jellybean, and Justin strauss as well.

Piet Blank mentioned once in an SDE thread that they had tried to pursue a Shep Pettibone 12″ collection but certain artists (i.e. Madonna) would not provide permission. Certain artists (Madonna and Depeche Mode for a start) will not license any material for any “80s collection” for perception concerns, or so I understand it.

I believe Piet gave up because he didn’t want to exclude an artist like Madonna from a Shep Pettibone set.

Look on Discogs – there is an semi/unofficial Shep Pettibone 12″ collection with 10 mixes, some of the mixes are slight variations on the actual mixes that were released (Prince.)

If you like William Orbit remixes, look for the “Remixed by William Orbit” cd that came out in 2000 or so. It was compiled by Karl Bartos and was really good – except they messed up and put the wrong remix of Jimmy Somerville’s you make me feel mighty real.

This collection does have a few solid Pettibone remixes, the extended remix of the Communards “Never can say goodbye” is epic and one of his very best.

Really want to get remastered versions of his Pet Shop Boys remixes! All of them!

• Yeah, I always assumed there would be licensing issues, especially with artists like Madonna (even if permission was given might be prohibitively expensive). But he’s done so many great mixes by almost unknowns it’d be a great comp. I had a Mitsou cassingle that had an amazing mix on it. Even middling material he just made sing. But I imagine no label would want to do a comp without Madonna and PSB, etc, on it.

Yeah, if PSB did a comp of just Shep mixes it’d be one of their most solid Best Of’s. I love that.

5. AlexKx says:

So they took the amount of songs that they could have put on two c.d.s and spread them over three not only being wasteful but lying to the consumer making them think that they are getting more than they really are. What a joke…

• AlexKx says:

Then again I must say we do no know the running time of the songs…do we, eh? I’m just highly suspicious as this seems to be something more people are doing in the industry out of desperation…

• Pat says:

Well they’re all 12-inch versions so it’s normal that you have less tracks on the cd’s.
        Give the guys a break…at least they search for proper masters instead of dodgy vinyl rips. And all of that for this price ?

Er, this set is £6. The issue is basically irrelevant at this price point.

• AlexKx says:

Not if they can fit the music recordings on two discs. The price is irrelevant. There is no reason to use MORE discs if it can fit on fewer.

There is a reason. A 3-disc set for £6.49 sounds better value than a two-CD set at £6.49. It’s marketing. They have a right to try and maximise sales by optimising their marketing, especially with what must be paper thin margins.

• AlexKx says:

Exactly! IF they can fit it on two discs then it is a scam if they are putting it on more than that when it is unnecessary! What’s with the defense of that?!

It’s not a scam. You’ve decided in your own head that a ‘rule’ exists that says they have to fill each disc to capacity. No such rule exists and they can do what they want. As it happens, I’m sure your incorrect anyway and I doubt this content will fit on two discs.

• Maxply Mac says:

There is no possible way 200 mins + of music will fit on 2 x CDs…

6. Gary C says:

Yeah, check your CD collection guys, how many of those albums have 70 odd minutes of music on them?

• AlexKx says:

That’s irrelevant isn’t it? If you can fit it all on two discs there is no reason to have three.

• Mike the Fish says:

The argument is irrelevant because you don’t actually know they would fit on 2CDs. Even if you take a conservative average of 6 minutes per 12″ mix then that’s 180 mins of music, which is longer than 2cds.

7. Kauwgompie says:

Not the greatest compilation but it does have a few interesting tidbits. “I’m Your Man” by Blue Zoo is a first on CD as far as I know. It was not on Cherry Pop’s reissue of the 2 By 2 album. The same for Simply Red’s “I Won’t Feel Bad”. It was not on the special edition of “Man And Women”.
    Also pretty rare is the extended version of “I Beg Your Pardon” by Kon Kan. It’s on the CD version of their album Move To Move but not great sound. Hopefully this is better. At least it’s fairly rare. The extended version of “Don’t Blame It On The Girl” by Matt Bianco is also rare. It was on the “Good Times” cd single which you may be able to find but the sound quality probably won’t be great. Roxette’s “The Look” Headdrum Mix is available on Dance Classics Pop Edition 6 so it’s not new to cd but it’s fairly rare.
    So this could have been a hundred times better but still a few interesting mixes.

8. eoin hall says:

Simply Red ‎I Won’t Feel Bad (Arthur Baker Mix) is on the cd single from 1988.

9. elliott buckingham says:

on a completely different not any idea if weatherbox are continuing with the Thompson twins vinyl releases

10. Paul E. says:

I have 90% of this stuff on CD already but am interested in The Cars “Hello Again” listing. I am aware of two versions: “Remix Version” at 5:54 and “Dub Version” at 6:02 only available on the 1984 12″ Vinyl and credited to Arthur Baker. Would love to have both on CD, but am glad to see an appearance either way (hoping it’s not vinyl sourced and is remastered/volume adjusted to match current Cars’ remasters). Aesthetically speaking, this set belongs in one of those monster quad CD jewel cases!

11. tom says:

This looks good BUT I’m going to wait till it drops to 3 Euros on amazon.it !

12. Eightiesaddict says:

Must be missing something, but what do PSB have to do with this release?

• CJ says:

The comment was that they are “conspicuous in their absence”–meaning they aren’t involved, despite the fact they would be an obvious inclusion. The curse of the phrase “80s” strikes again when we have the opportunity to get some more unreleased PSB material. Maybe if they stuck to calling them “Dance Pop” and “Extended Dance,” and avoided the term “80s,” we could get some more from Neil and Chris. Apparently “Indie” was cool enough to warrant a “Paninaro” track.

• Mike the Fish says:

Strange though, isn’t it as they were most definitely around in the 80s and most definitely not an Indie band!

13. mike says:

I think its just an exercise in recycling bar possibly the Blue Zoo one. Roxette and Simply Red are on their respective cd singles and Jap compilations. What depresses me about these sets is the lack of thought, record companies would sell far more if they put 10 ‘new to cd’ mixes on there. Paying a fiver every two months to pick up one mix is just not worth it. People will say for a fiver, what more do you want? Id pay damn more for a decent well thought out compilation with more. When i walked into hmv last week, there were tens of this type of compilation, even a casual buyer wont bother, they are becoming so ubiquitous.

14. Eric says:

As far as these things go nowadays (which, given the proliferation of samey 80s sets all from the same bunch of labels, isn’t far), this actually has a really good tracklisting. Not necessarily great because they’re super rare, and maybe some of best ones will be vinyl rips or wrongly labelled (who knows anymore) but taken at face value, this could be one of the most enjoyable at any rate. And will be a fiver on release, I’m sure.

15. Neil says:

It feels like they sit and wait until some random 12 inch mix gets reissued for the first time on CD and then decide to release a compilation composed of 99% of mixes that have appeared before on numerous compilations. No thought goes into these at all as there are literally thousands of mixes that have never seen the light of day on CD and never will sadly.

16. probablyrustin says:

Would it kill them to use less tacky artwork? Cheap as these comps are, with sometimes great tracklistings, the covers are cringeworthy enough for me to pass, every time.

17. Mattt says:

Great idea and call it PET SHEP BOYS

18. Brian says:

The 12″/80’s series set the bar so high, nothing else compares.

• Pat says:

The 12”/80’s comps had great tracklistings but contained some very dodgy vinyl rips. I sold my copy of 12″/80’s Love out of pure frustration.

19. Steve says:

The 12 Inch Dance series are compiled by the team behind the (very good) 12″/80s compilations but are sourced from only Rhino-distributed material. First time on CD in the UK for Gang Of Four’s Is This Love Extended Dance Mix – previously only in Germany on So80s 4. One of my favourite 12″ singles.

• Steve says:

Not to be confused with the similar 12 Inch Eighties series, which have nothing to do with them. Confusing, isn’t it?

20. Cal M says:

I collect these £5 – 3 cd disc sets along with the 100 hits series everytime i go food shopping, you can pay more at some charity shops for tat.

Ok sometimes they are hit and miss and sometimes they make mistakes the cardboard packaging is annoying but for this price guys it`s a cup of coffee, think about how much some of those other comps are.

21. Manfred says:

The best Series of the 80s is “So80s” from Blank & Jones

22. elliott buckingham says:

i have over a 100 80s 12″ singles which I haven’t found on cd anywhere yet from adam ant upto david Cassidy all big hits but get ignored I wish artists would put out their own 12″ comp id love a queen set and a roxette set

• Mike the Fish says:

Queen did do a 12″ set in the Box of Trix, although the sleeve notes gave dubious reasons for Bo Rhap and The Show Must Go On being on there (neither remixed). There’s some Queen 12″ mixes out there that I found really disappointing, and just not a great listen but they should have been put on those singles sets that came out several years back.

23. Tom says:

Still not even close to capturing the tracks on the Retroactive Rare and Remixed cd series. Just wish they had done more than 7. Though this set features a few of the same tracks.

• Paul E. says:

Agreed – loved the Retroactive series. I’m also in for a “Future Retro” volume two. The first had updated remixes from some of my favorite artists/tracks. It’s quite easy to put together a three hour plus playlist with all these extended versions- for wanna be DJs like me.

24. Don says:

I just noticed on Discogs that many of the So80s CDs are 85-89 minutes long. What???

They aren’t following the ‘redbook’ standard.

• gwynogue says:

Can they still be played on bog-standard CD players?

How would it work?

This is the issue… I think most modern players would be okay, but ‘older’ machines could have an issue. I guess the standard exists for a reason.

• Cal M says:

The problem is with these So80`s was the mastering the first 7 were brickwalled.

They reissued some of them again with better mastering but they are only obtainable via the blank and jones website, those who brought them the first time if they wanted the better mastering they had to re-buy them which is wrong they should have been replaced.

Some of those newly reissued ones have since sold out with no new repressing

25. tom says:

A lot of moaning here about this 6 quid comp. I personally only own the new order track, so it is worthwhile to me. Also, these are in the main not the usual suspects in terms of tracks although not the super rare ones that some people are hoping for.

26. The Grand 12-inches series compiled by Ben Liebrand is worth to notice here. Very good mixes, rare 12″/extended versions and all tracks in the best quality available. Some mixes are done by Ben Liebrand himself. One of the better mixers in years. And there is a 4CD set with only remixes by Ben Liebrand called Liebrand 12-inches.

27. Foxee says:

Would love to see an Island Records 12″ 80s collection pulling together classic Grace Jones, Will Powers, Tom Tom Club, Kid Creole, Gregory Isaacs, Black Uhuru, Robert Palmer, U2, Paul Haig, Buggles, The Waitresses, Gwen Guthrie, B-52s…… to name but a few.

As a 3 or 4 CD collection, this could have each disc themed for musical styles, or mix the whole thing up!

Fairly certain there are quite a few people who would go for this.

28. gwynogue says:

I’m actually quite fond of these 12″ remix collections – it makes a nice change from the 80’s compilations that are just the standard single/album versions that can be found on THOUSANDS of other compilations. I was banging on about an all-Australian one a few weeks ago, but that seems to have disappeared without trace…..

Australia used to do a lot of these comps in the 80’s at the time the tracks were originally released – many as a companion piece to the ‘hits’ samplers that had the single versions. I know I phrased that quite poorly, so here are a few examples of what I meant:

The trend seemed to stop just as CDs were taking off, so most (all?) were cassette/vinyl only.

• Neil says:

That 12 Inch Dance: Australian 80s Pop i think you are referring to hasn’t disappeared as it’s on Amazon and according to the reviews so far it’s full of vinyl rips. On that subject and anybody can correct me if i’m wrong but were Split Enz not from New Zealand ?

• gwynogue says:

That’s odd…..it’s definitely disappeared here in Australia – Sanity are saying it’s not available to order, the JB Hi-Fi listing vanished back in January, the ABC Shop online listing disappeared a few weeks ago and iTunes are saying April 21.

And now the author of this site – https://thegarbwire.com/2017/01/13/12-inch-dance-australian-80s-pop-music/ – is saying “…delayed without a new release date…”

Perhaps quality control/featured artists/record companies weren’t happy about the ripping quality.

Yep, Split Enz are from New Zealand…..so is Jenny Morris…..so is Dragon….back in the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s, NZ artists often relocated to Australia to further their career. For some of them, their first official recordings were done in Australia, so are sometimes classified as ‘Australian’ artists.

29. colin says:

I wonder if the 12″ Version of Pearl in The Shell By Howard Jones will be the same as the version from his ’12 Inch Album’ released after the Human’s Lib LP in 1984, as far as i am aware this version was exclusive to this release at the time and the 12 inch single of ‘Pearl’ only had the 7 inch Version of the song on it with it’s B Side (law of the Jungle) and an 8 minute Rupert Hine Remixed track called Total Conditioning (A new single version of this also appeared on the 12 Inch Album). As far as I am aware there was no other standard 12 inch version of ‘Pearl’ unless it was on a Promo that I have not come across. As I have the first pressing CD of the 12 Inch Album i hope it is a ‘different’ version but it is probably the same one!

30. colin says:

Ahhh, after searching there is an 8.55 full remix which was used on the 12 Inch album so hopefully it will be the full near 9 minute mix on this release!

31. Branny says:

Fingers crossed that the version of “Why?” is the Mendelsohn mix and not the version that was used on the Classic Pop compilation. Still, as both are produced by Rhino I don’t hold out much hope.

Is the Mendelsohn mix the original 12-inch that was on the original Age Of Consent CD?

• Maxply Mac says:

Have good reason to believe BB is the Why? 7.45 mix…

• Branny says:

Yes that’s the one. I had Age of consent and Why? (12″) on vinyl so never bothered with the original cd and I have never come across it on cd since.

32. HOGGY says:

Same Old Stuff – How many more of these complications, I understand licensing issues, however how may Titles have to be released with the same tracks.

For something completely different – 12 Inch Dance: Australian 80s Pop
    Disc: 1
    1. Real Life – Catch Me I’m Falling (Extended Version)
    2. The Venetians – So Much For Love (Rock Mix)
    3. Deckchairs Overboard – Shout (Extended)
    4. Kids In The Kitchen – Something That You Said (Club Mix)
    5. Big Pig – Justifier (12 Lucky Break Mix)
    6. Flowers – Can’t Help Myself (Extended Version)
    7. Do Re Mi – Idiot Grin (Extended Mix)
    8. Yothu Yindi Djapana (Gapirri Mix)
    9. Beargarden – The Finer Things (Extended Mix)
    10. Flash & The Pan – Waiting For A Train (Extended Remix)
    11. Zan – Good Love (Good Lovin’ Mix)
    12. Boxcar – Gas Stop (High Octane Mix)

Disc: 2
    1. Dropbears – Shall We Go (Extended Version)
    2. I’m Talking – Someday (Extended Mix)
    3. Go 101 – Build It Up (Extended Mix)
    4. Jo Jo Zep – Losing Game (Remixed Version)
    5. Icehouse – Hey, Little Girl (Extended Dance Mix)
    6. Schnell Fenster – Whisper (Extended Version)
    7. Spk Ft. Graeme Revell And Karina Hayes – Breathless (Extended Dance Mix)
    8. Dragon – River (12 Alluvial Mudmix)
    9. Jump Incorporated – Sex And Fame (Julian Mendelsohn Remix)
    10. No Justice – Lately (And Now For Something Completely Different) (Featuring Nikki Bennett)
    11. Pseudo Echo – A Beat For You [extended Version]
    12. Pel Mel – Pandemonium (Extended Mix)

Disc: 3
    1. The Dugites – Cut The Talking (12 Extended Remix)
    2. Boom Crash Opera City Flat (Extended Mix)
    3. Hunters & Collectors Say Goodbye (Extended Mix)
    4. Eurogliders – Can’t Wait To See You (Moshi Moshi Mix)
    5. Kate Ceberano – Bedroom Eyes (Uk Extended Version – Mixed By Howard Gray)
    6. Mondo Rock – The Modern Bop (Jellybean Mix)
    7. Split Enz – I Walk Away (Extended Version)
    8. Stephen Cummings – Gymnasium (Mega Dance Mix)
    9. Wa Wa Nee – Can’t Control Myself (Mixus Maximus Remix)
    10. Jenny Morris – Body And Soul (Extended Version)
    11. Machinations – Pressure Sway (Extended Version)
    12. Models – I Hear Motion (Extended Mix)
    13. Kids In The Kitchen – Bruce’s Big Bonus Beats

33. Jobi says:

Give Me Vinyl. CD’s are dead !~

34. Carlos says:

Does anyone know whether ‘Is It Love’ By Gang Of Four included here is the UK Dance Mix 5:49 or the Extended Dance Remix By Jellybean 6:48? … Thanks in advance!

35. Carlos says:

Is I’ve Been Loosing You By A-Ha the Jellybean Extended Mix?

There is no Jellybean remix of Ive Been Losing You – you’re thinking of Cry Wolf.

• Carlos says:

No, no, no. I’m sorry to say you’re wrong. I got a copy here in the states of I’ve Been Losing You Remixed By Jellybean and Engineered By Brian Malouf. Take a look on https://www.discogs.com/a-ha-Ive-Been-Losing-You/release/395478.

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Stand corrected! :) Although there is only one Extended Mix of “I’ve Been Losing You” and it has never been called The Jellybean mix, so in my defence :) you can see why I was confused…

• Carlos says:

No problem at all. I understand that … it happens to me all the time as well. Once again, thank you for your reply. Any additional information about Gang of Four Is It Love?

36. Maxply Mac says:

If you look on iTunes, the A-Ha remix is 7.02 and Gang of Four is 6.44,

• Carlos says:

Thanks a lot pal, it should be the Jellybean Mix from 1983 of Is It Love by Gang Of Four which runs 6:48 on the 12 Inch Single.