A Foot In The Door: The Best Of Pink Floyd to be issued on double vinyl

Newly mastered • First time on vinyl • Slightly amended artwork

Pink Floyd‘s A Foot In The Door compilation – first released in late 2011 as part of the Why Pink Floyd? reissue campaign – is to be released on vinyl for the first time in September.

The 16 song collection features some of the best-known album tracks from 1967 – 1994, including the band’s first UK Top 10 single See Emily Play, Wish You Were HereComfortably Numb, Shine On You Crazy Diamond and High Hopes.

It also features the single mix of Another Brick In The Wall part 2 and the edit of Shine On You Crazy Diamond. These tracks were “selected by the band” seven years ago.  There is one slight change, in that this new 2LP vinyl edition restores the ringing alarm clocks at the start of Time, which were omitted on the CD release, for some reason.

The audio has been newly mastered for vinyl by James Guthrie, with Joel Plante, and with lacquers cut by Bernie Grundman of Grundman Mastering in Los Angeles, California.

Also, the original artwork – which was the last work of Storm Thorgerson – has been amended by Pink Floyd Creative Director Aubrey Powell (of Hipgnosis) and Peter Curzon, to include alternate versions of the photographs used in the original CD version. This is a gatefold double album (180g vinyl) with two separate printed inner bags.

The Best Of Pink Floyd: A Foot In The Door will now be issued on double 180g vinyl on 28 September 2018.

Pink Floyd

Best of Pink Floyd: A Foot in the door 2LP vinyl

HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 29.99

Side 1
1. Hey You (2011 Remastered Version)
2. See Emily Play (2011 Remastered Version)
3. The Happiest Days Of Our Lives
4. Another Brick In The Wall, Pt. 2
5. Have A Cigar

Side 2
1. Wish You Were Here (2011 Remastered Version)
2. Time/Breathe (In The Air) [Reprise]
3. The Great Gig In The Sky (2011 Remastered Version)
4. Money (2011 Remastered Version)

Side 3
1. Comfortably Numb (2011 Remastered Version)
2. High Hopes
3. Learning To Fly (2011 Remastered Version)

Side 4
1. The Fletcher Memorial Home (2011 Remastered Version)
2. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 1 – 5) [Edit]
3. Brain Damage (2011 Remastered Version)
4. Eclipse

42 responses to A Foot In The Door: The Best Of Pink Floyd to be issued on double vinyl

1. Rasputin says:

Paul

Do you know anything about reissuing the Echoes on vinyl?

No information

Rumors that A Foot In The Door will be the last in this series of vinyl

• Marco De Angelis says:

Hello,
      just to clarify…
      I bought the 2011 remasters of PF on cd.
      The catalogue numbers are the following:
      from PFR1 to PFR14 the studio albums;
      from PFR18 to PFR21 the compilation (except PFR19 that will be A Collection Of Great Dance Songs surely in the future);
      from PFR16 to PFR17 the live albums;
      So…what about PFR15?
      Anyone could give an explication?
      Apologies forse my English…
      Marco

2. Karsten Skjødt-Andersen says:

Thea rsd issue of pipers in mono, has catalougue number PFRLP26. ” A Foot”will probably get number 20. In between the numbers are vacant. That leaves space for echoes, works, is there anybody out there and perhaps a saucerful in mono.
    Regards
    Karsten

3. David Regan says:

Echoes is way better compilation..that should have a vinyl reissue..I’d jump on that.. considering the original Vinyl release sells for high price..that I won’t even consider paying.

4. Barry McClain says:

I am trying to resist all the Pink Floyd vinyl as I suspect they will put all the vinyl in a big box set with just a few unheard tracks. Anyone heard anything about this?

• Michael says:

I doubt it, Barry. Pink Floyd are not really giving bonus tracks very often, and all of the studio albums have already come out on vinyl individually. I do think they sold them in a box sometime in the last couple years on their website, but not with any bonuses or anything.

• Rasputin says:

Yes, there was such a box set in December 9, 2016 – only in the USA
        For Christmas and New Year
        Limited time was sold from pinkfloyd.com
        The outer box is made of brown cardboard
        Every album was in a resealable poly sleeve
        In the set was only 12 LP
        1967, 1968, 1969, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1979, 1994
        1983 and 1987 have not yet been released (January 2017)

There is no value / Not worthy of attention

• Rasputin says:

This is unlikely
      If it were, it would have happened earlier

But, maybe, someday, it will happen
      After many years

In any case, it was not released, like The Beatles, ABBA and so on …

But suddenly, they decide to release the box
      Empty … Anything can be …

5. RobDeighton says:

I got an email today from amazon saying that the release date for this has been put back till 27th september

6. Elizabeth Hirst says:

After getting the reissues of the studio albums on vinyl, I have kept up the collection with Delicate Sound of Thunder, Relics, Pulse and ….Dance Songs. This is a step too far for me. It has been pointed out that this is just a taster for those coming new to Pink Floyd’s music – I wonder how many of those there really are?

What I would REALLY like is the Works album, with the only recorded version of Embryo on it.

• Michael says:

There are always new people coming to Pink Floyd. I regularly encounter young people in high school and college getting into them. Whether they need a comp to help with that is another question. And whatever Roger may believe, I do not think Fletcher Memorial Home belongs on any introductory comp. But I agree about Works. I want that one, also.

• Andy Haines says:

I have Works on both vinyl & cd. It’s one of those compilation albums that is an odd mix of tracks. Embryo is also available on the Picnic album, a Harvest sampler, which is fairly easy to pick up and has some fab tracks from other artists on the label!

• Andy Haines says:

Don! Forgot to say Embryo is also on the Pink Floyd Early Years 1967-1972 Cre/ation double CD. It’s cheap enough if you’re not particular about the media it’s on!

7. Craig says:

How can it be the single mix of ABITW2 when it follows on from Happiest Days Of Our Lives?

8. Jeffrey Hawboldt says:

Dang was hoping this would be Echoes…or Echoes instead. Hopefully it’s still on the table!

The reason WHY I prefer Echoes, is because the tracks transition into each other in different ways. It’s a bonus it’s twice as long as this or what have you, but it’s the tracklisting, and how they ‘transition’ that I enjoy.

9. Benjamin Adams says:

The title of this comp lays it bare: A Foot In The Door. This is a primer to Pink Floyd, and made sense as a single disc for the curious. Not lazy at all – it must have been a nightmare whittling down the tracks to this. Of course Echoes is better – it’s twice as long!

10. Yves says:

I think I’ll get this one for the pleasure of the artwork alone. I got the Echoes vinyl set for £17 on amazon uk some years ago, the artwork on that format (this is a 4 lp set!!!) is amazing!

11. Tony says:

Not relevant to Pink Floyd but for anybody who is interested the Moody Blues are releasing some of their back catalogue on vinyl next week.

12. Rogerio says:

Pretty lazy compilation this one… I hope they reissue Echoes.

13. Rasputin says:

By the way, Amazon says September 7, but official sources say September 28

• Andrew M says:

Amazon have now changed the date to September 28th.

• Rasputin says:

Yes, yesterday I saw a change in the release date
        North American Amazons initially showed – on September 28

It’s not good that they are silent about Echoes

14. CJ Feeney says:

The least desirable of all Floyd compilations. No real exclusives or hard to find tracks on here.

The Echoes set has good segues between tracks and I don’t think it would work as well on vinyl. I’m happy with the “… Great Dance Songs” LP, as it replaced the first Floyd LP I ever bought.

15. Paul says:

Echoes vinyl box set next?

16. Eric says:

Hoping its nothing more than a stop gap before finally creating a SDE of Animals.

• Simon taylor says:

Nick Mason said they’re struggling for additional material for an Animals SDE. Surely they have a live show, the full version of pigs on the wing. But not a huge amount of extras. Would be very nice though. A 2cd reissue would do me just fine.

17. vikerii says:

Good to see things are still churning along with regards to PF’s catalog.

My wish list (aka “Wish These Were Here”) from the Floyd include…
    Animals 5.1 and Immersion box (if possible)
    The Wall 5.1
    Final Cut 5.1 and Immersion box (include Spare Bricks)
    Momentary Lapse Immersion box (include Peace Be With You)

18. Tony Pye says:

I just wish I had the money to buy this. As a pensioner, I can’t justify it unfortunately

19. Mark says:

Surely most Floyd fans will have all of these on vinyl already. Nothing new here….

20. Darren Briscoe says: