Air / Moon Safari glow-in-the-dark vinyl

Amazon in the US have a pre-order listing for a ‘Phosphorescent/Glow In The Dark’ vinyl edition of French band Air‘s debut album Moon Safari.

The release coincides with the 20th anniversary of the 1998 album which delivered three top 30 UK hits in the form of Sexy Boy, Kelly Watch The Stars and All I Need.

It’s not clear at this point if this vinyl is a one-off or whether a wider 20th anniversary reissue campaign is imminent. Either way, this record is great value at only $15, which equates to around £19 sent to the UK with import duty and (cheapest) shipping included. Even if this title appears in the Britain, is it going to be cheaper than that?

This  ‘Phosphorescent/Glow In The Dark’ vinyl edition of Moon Safari will be released on 6 April 2018.

Air

3. You Make It Easy
4. Ce matin-là
5. New Star In The Sky
6. Le voyage de Pénélope

58 responses to Air / Moon Safari glow-in-the-dark vinyl

1. DJPauly says:

Also had my order delayed, then cancelled altogether today by amazon.com. Whats my recourse? How do I get one?

• Dolphin Grey says:

I too, had the unfortunate situation of waiting until 26.04.2018 then another week before amazon.com cancelled my order. I therefore, went to my local hmv store and found a copy there which I purchased.

2. MATT SPARKES says:

I also got my cancelled email from Amazon. I got on a live chat to complain and got $30 dollar credit to use only on amazon.com. So that’s something but seeing as some 3rd parties charge almost $20 for postage to the UK it is not going to buy me much from them. I also asked her to escalate this up as it is not right to take an order and then just say ‘sorry’ almost 2 months later when the price has escalated radically elsewhere.

3. Tom says:

Ordered mine from amazon.com within 10 mins of this piece going up on March 2nd.
    Order cancelled by amazon this morning.
    Looks like I’ll have to try my luck in HMV, as I don’t fancy paying £80 on eBay.

• Mark R says:

Just received an email from Amazon saying they have cancelled my order due to lack of availability! I ordered this on 2nd of March! Really poor.

• MATT SPARKES says:

Feel your pain mate. I complained and got $30 credit for what it’s worth.

4. David A. says:

Ordered one from Amazon.com on march 5.
    The order got cancelled yesterday: “Due to a lack of availability, we will not be able to obtain the following item(s) from your order:”

5. Dan says:

Got one in HMV today, in the front it had 2 stickers, one saying HMV exclusive and the other saying coloured vinyl.

6. Mark says:

Was in Tower Records Dublin yesterday who had a load of the glow in the dark vinyl edition marked as a ‘Tower Records Exclusive’. About €23 but will wait a week or two to see if Amazon US delivers.

7. Chris says:

I got one delivered from HMV yesterday. As Neil said, no sticker etc on packaging to advertise that it’s coloured vinyl. Had a quick play and pressing is very noisy but looks like the vinyl needs a good clean. After leaving the vinyl out in light for a while then playing in the dark it glows away…. :)

• mike says:

I ordered from the states back when Paul announced its release initially….i just wanted to frame the vinyl an stick it on the wall so it would look good on my wall of random framed stuff!…anyway looks like the us orders are a bust…still waiting on a date for fulfilment but not to worry..I bought the beautiful 20 years box set (used) for 20 euro sometime back and have the straight up black vinyl…lets see what happens!

I’m not sure US orders are ‘a bust’. They just aren’t selling it anymore. My US order is supposed to be arriving at the end of next week…

8. Neil Parnell says:

saw loads in hmv at the weekend on the new in rack….but it didn’t say anywhere on the cover it was glow in the dark vinyl…so didn’t purchase will have another look next week

9. daniel says:

Hello,
    It is already available in France…

Do you have it?

• Richard Anderson says:

Paul. I pre-ordered it from HMV and this morning I got an e-mail to say that the order had now been updated to despatched so I guess it must exist if they have posted it. Hopefully get it in the next day or so.

• daniel says:

No, not yet… I saw it at a Fnac store but had no real interest on it … i already own a vinyl version of the album, so I was kind of thinking they were just trying to make money out of the fans instead of doing something really interesting…

10. jon says:

i pre-ordered as soon as it was availble
    it tells me my copy hasnt even shipped yet
    yet somehow is supposed to be here by friday april 6th
    i got it for 16 USA bucks
    now its listed at 55 bucks USA
    ill let yall know friday if i get it and how it sounds

11. Michel Banen says:

Pre-ordered it immediately from amazon.com when it was announced but the release has completely disappeared from their site…………..

12. Boaz Halachmi says:

IT’S GONE… ?

13. Michael says:

Funny. I just got done listening to this on the black vinyl before seeing this email. I think the glow vinyl looks great… But I should probably resist since the current vinyl already sounds great.

14. Jonathan says:

I do love this album and thought it was a bargain, but having looked, for £16 you can get the 2015 reissue import on t’amazon which is a 180g with download as well.
    So I’ll prob go for the decent vinyl option and not the glow (possibly rubbish sounding) gimmick

15. Michel Banen says:

This will be released in the Netherlands on march 9th as an “Indie only” release in a very limited edition so if I miss out on that I will have the USA release coming my way a few weeks later.

16. Keith Slatter says:

All swings and roundabouts! It’s £20.99 from HMV UK inc P&P.

17. Paul says:

I am a little worried about how it’s going to sound. I sent my Michael Jackson glow in the dark album back because I thought it sounded absolutely terrible, also compared those tracks to orginal vinyls I have of sale songs, no contest. It looks a little more opaque than “see through” to me which gives me hope as I vowed never to get a clear or see through type vinyl ever again, if it sounds like the recent coloured opaque McCartney reissues I will be extremely happy though as they were excellent..

As someone else’s said on here if a better deal comes along in the UK we can cancel the US order so I’ve gone for it and if the sound is bad it will be either returned or on eBay faster than you can say “SEXY BOY”. Fingers crossed as this is one of my favourite albums ever and been waiting to get it on vinyl for ages.

Thanks Paul as always!

Cheers,
    Paul

• Wes says:

Don’t love this kind of vinyl. Glow in the dark vinyl is almost certainly going to sound bad if prior experience is any judge. It’s one tick above picture disk quality– so it’s not about the sound. I don’t know why they use this stuff given the issues everyone seems to have with the quality.

18. Pete {in Australia} says:

Love Glow in the Dark stuff and especially vinyl. At this stage only one Aust supplier has it listed, and with postage, would be around $40Aus, to get from Amazon US, all up with postage, around $22.Aus. So no brainer there. THANKS Paul, for alert.

19. sutekh101 says:

Just ordered a copy here in the UK. Classic album. Thanks for the heads-up :)

20. Graham Piazza says:

Just what I’ve been waiting for.

21. probablyrustin says:

I’ve been meaning to get this on vinyl for a while, and it’s such a great deal, but I’m just so hesitant to commit to any colored vinyl these days without hearing about the quality first. It’s such a crapshoot now!

22. Sean says:

Bargain cheers Paul :)

23. John Barnes says:

Pre ordered. Looks great and a good price. Thanks.

24. Mark R says:

Ordered. I listened to this album for the first time last week (terrible I know, but I have form) and fell in love with it. $26 all in doesn’t seem too bad.

25. Dom says:

HMV have it listed as a domestic exclusive for £21.99. Tempted to pay the bit extra just in case it gets damaged from shipping. Not that I’ve had problems with stuff from Amazon US but couriers in this country often leave a lot to be desired. Thanks for the heads up. Looks a nice item and the US price of around £11 is fantastic if only it would cost the same here.

• Simon Taylor says:

Which means amazon.uk should price match so pretty much the same price as US. Will leave the order in with US and see what happens with UK release over coming days.

26. Rui Inácio says:

Anyone played it yet? Is it a good sounding one?

27. Matt says:

Its in my top ten so had to be done. Suppose i’ll have to get that Virgin Suicides box now to go with it.

28. widnesian says:

Aha! $15.99 with tax and free Prime shipping to my door, and for once with these deals it’s on my home soil too. Even better. This vinyl ain’t the only thing that glows in the dark. Paul does too! What a hero! Cheers, mate.

29. Eli Anderson says:

Anyone own a glow in the dark disc that actually sounds good? I have a few and they are all a crackly mess….

• elliott buckingham says:

the recent Michael Jackson release sounds far better than I expected compared to the 12″ ghostbuster glow which sounds awful

• richard says:

I have an Afrika Bambata ‘Planet Rock’ 12” ( glow in the dark ) and it sounds fantastic.

30. Rick says:

Great deal! Just got mine! My favorite album of the ’90s!

31. John Orr says:

Ordered. Thanks again Paul!

32. Andrew F. says:

Tempted, but just abandoned checkout due to the unexpected import fee, taking the overall order to £19.12.

33. Simon taylor says:

I held off getting the Air 20 years set deal but this one was harder to resist. Plus if it comes up cheap in UK then there’s still time to cancel. It’s a wonderful album.

34. Urs says:

This looks lovely! But hesitant to buy it as I once had issues with an order from the US and customs (to Germany).

35. Ramon says:

Coooool! Got mine at 22 usd (shipment to Spain included).

Thanks for the heads up, Paul.

36. richard says:

Great deal , just bought one.

37. Chris says:

Great spot. Does anyone know why there are import fees deposit for something that’s $14?

• Martyn Yeatman says:

Because the total cost limit of £15 includes shipping?

• ChristopherM says:

UK customs/import charges are triggered at £15 excluding shipping. However, once that point is reached then VAT is charged on the total price including the shipping.

So, like Chris (no relation), I can’t see why there is an import fee deposit in this case.

38. Steven Campbell says:

Pre-ordered and I have to say its a good deal as it’s doubtful it’ll be cheaper elsewhere!