Andrew Lloyd Webber / Unmasked: The Platinum Collection / 4CD set

Five decades of music from Andrew Lloyd Webber are celebrated in a new four-disc set Unmasked: The Platinum Collection.

As well as all the familiar big numbers, this set offers something fresh – and reaches out to a new demographic – with newly-recorded versions of songs by Lana Del Rey, Gregory Porter and Nicol Scherzinger. The collection also includes Beyoncé’s previously unreleased rendition of Learn To Be Lonely which was performed live at the 2005 Academy Awards with Lloyd Webber accompanying her on piano.

Connoisseurs and collectors will be interested in five newly created orchestral suites, specially prepared from existing recordings and the packaging looks good with a 40-page book with track notes by critic and Lloyd Webber biographer Michael Coveney.

Unmasked: The Platinum Collection is released on 16 March 2018. A two-CD edition is also available.

Andrew Lloyd Webber

12 I AM THE STARLIGHT • MICA PARIS & GEORGE URE
13 MR. MISTOFFELEES • PAUL NICHOLAS
14 TELL ME ON A SUNDAY • MICHAEL CRAWFORD
15 THINK OF ME • EMMY ROSSUM & PATRICK WILSON
16 RAINBOW HIGH • ELAINE PAIGE
17 ALL I ASK OF YOU • CLIFF RICHARD & SARAH BRIGHTMAN
18 WISHING YOU WERE SOMEHOW HERE AGAIN (LIVE AT THE ROYAL ALBERT HALL) • SIERRA BOGGESS
BONUS TRACK LEARN TO BE LONELY (LIVE AT THE OSCARS) • BEYONCÉ & ANDREW LLOYD WEBBER

CD THREE
01 JACOB & SONS/COAT OF MANY COLOURS • JANET METZDONNY OSMONDMICHAEL FLETCHER & THE CANADIAN CAST
02 CLOSE EVERY DOOR • DONNY OSMOND
03 HEAVEN ON THEIR MINDS (LIVE – ARENA TOUR) • TIM MINCHIN
04 KING HEROD’S SONG • ALICE COOPER
05 SKIMBLESHANKS • KEN WELLS & THE ORIGINAL LONDON CAST OF CATS
06 MACAVITY: THE MYSTERY CAT • WENDY EDMEAD & DONNA KING
07 YOU’VE NEVER HAD IT SO GOOD • STEPHEN WARD ORIGINAL LONDON CAST
08 I’D BE SURPRISINGLY GOOD FOR YOU • ELENA ROGER & PHILIP QUAST
09 EVERMORE WITHOUT YOU • MARTIN CREWES
10 I BELIEVE MY HEART • DUNCAN JAMES & KEEDIE
11 IF ONLY YOU WOULD LISTEN • THE BROADWAY CAST OF SCHOOL OF ROCK
12 SING • MILITARY WIVES
13 HOSANNA • JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LONDON CAST
14 HOSANNA • PLÁCIDO DOMINGO, SARAH BRIGHTMAN & THE CHOIR OF WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL
15 PIE JESU • SARAH BRIGHTMAN & PAUL MILES-KINGSTON
16 BY JEEVES • STEVEN PACEYSIMON DAY & NICHOLAS HAVERSON
17 WHERE DID THE ROCK GO? • FLORENCE ANDREWS

CD FOUR
01 PHANTOM PHANTASY • ORIGINAL LONDON ORCHESTRA
02 MASQUERADE • ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE CAST
03 ‘TIL I HEAR YOU SING • RAMIN KARIMLOO
04 LOVE NEVER DIES ORCHESTRAL SUITE • ORIGINAL LONDON ORCHESTRA
05 LOVE NEVER DIES • SIERRA BOGGESS
06 THE BEAUTY UNDERNEATH • BEN LEWIS & CASEY LYONS
07 VARIATIONS ON VARIATIONS • ANDREW LLOYD WEBBER
08 JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR OVERTURE • ORIGINAL JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR ORCHESTRA
09 OVERTURE AND THE BEAUTIFUL GAME • ORIGINAL CAST AND ORCHESTRA FROM THE BEAUTIFUL GAME
10 IF THIS IS WHAT WE’RE FIGHTING FOR • JOSIE WALKER

13. LOVE NEVER DIES – SIERRA BOGGESS
14. MR MISTOFFELEES – PAUL NICHOLAS
15. I AM THE STARLIGHT* – MICA PARIS & GEORGE URE
16. ALL I ASK OF YOU – CLIFF RICHARD & SARAH BRIGHTMAN
17. RAINBOW HIGH – ELAINE PAIGE
18. TELL ME ON A SUNDAY – MICHAEL CRAWFORD
19. WISHING YOU WERE SOMEHOW HERE AGAIN (LIVE AT THE ROYAL ALBERT HALL) – SIERRA BOGGESS
20. BONUS TRACK – LEARN TO BE LONELY* (LIVE AT THE OSCARS)

36 responses to Andrew Lloyd Webber / Unmasked: The Platinum Collection / 4CD set

1. Jason says:

So looking forward to this set. Andrew is the greatest theatre composer who ever lived. Ordered it and I get it today. Yay!

2. Jason says:

Ordered this set and I get it today. So looking forward to it. I am glad that Elaine’s Memory is not included as we already have that so many times on many other discs. Glad to see some new recordings and rarities on there though.

3. Malcolm says:

We all have our own tastes and anyone is entitles to say they don’t enjoy the music of ALW…however…if his stuff really is that bad how come I cant get a ticket for Phantom of the opera because its constantly sold out, how come when other ALW shows go on tour they sell out time and time again, how come when a new music compilation or release comes out it sells in bucket loads, …so…you are welcome to say YOU don’t enjoy it but let others speak for themselves…and they DO…all the time.

4. Rupert Marks says:

I always buy the delux edition of any album, and the 4CD Andrew Lloyed Webber Unmasked delux is a delux and a half, as befitting the greatest and most popular musical theatre composer of all time. I too miss It’s My Time, and indeed something from By Jeeves! and The Likes of Us, but they couldn’t put everything on, otherwise it would be a 44 CD collection! Also wasn’t The Beautiful Game renamed The Boys in the Photograph?

5. Anaise Radisson Blu says:

There is a rare mix of Hazel Dean performing Buenos Aires (PWL Remix) – I wish they would include some of these remixes instead of the usual original cast recordings we already own on many o these tracks – even through in a Matt Pop mix too!!!

6. mick lynch says:

Also missing is his composition with Diane Warren (It’s My Time). Love that also.

7. DrJD says:

It’s obviously hip to sneer at ALW, but ‘Joseph and His Amazing…’ and ‘JC Superstar’ were inspired and stand the test of time. Add to that ‘Cats’, which is a well-nigh-perfect accompaniment to Eliot’s verses and I think he has a pretty fine legacy.
    They sneer at Puccini and Bellini too: sentimental, populist, derivative. But Puccini and Bellini’s music has outlived the hipsters of their day. So will the best of ALW.

8. Paul English says:

I have the Now And Forever box from 2001 which was decent. Must compare the tracklisting with this one.

His Variations LP from 1978 is great.

Life’s too short to worry about a singer’s politics. If the music’s good, I buy it.

9. Michael G says:

Some of the worst music ever committed to vinyl!
    And that’s being kind to this melodramatic old tosh.

I like Phantom of the Opera. “Music of the Night” is great.

• Kevin from Edinburgh says:

I’m disappointed by the tone some of these posts have taken. This is an article about the music of an artist, hence it follows that people who choose to read the article – and you have to make the effort of deciding then acting – are those interested in possibly buying it, presumably because they like the music/artist in question.

To then read posts where people, who clearly don’t like the music, take the opportunity to express that dislike, is dispiriting and quite tedious. It serves what purpose, exactly? If you don’t like the music in question, why choose to read the article, and why bother typing out your view of it?

This is becoming too much like the odious SH Forum. If you don’t like the music, I don’t need to know; I frankly don’t care what you think. Please…just go away and post your negative comments elsewhere. This site has, to date, been a very friendly and supportive place, and I suspect I’m not alone in hoping that doesn’t change.

10. Pete Muscutt says:

Haha, reading some of the “love” for Lloyd-Webber reminds me of a line from a Roger Waters’ track ‘It’s a Miracle’:

“We cower in our shelters/With our hands over our ears/Lloyd-Webber’s awful stuff/Runs for years and years and years/An earthquake hits the theatre/But the operetta lingers/Then the piano lids comes down/And breaks his f*****g fingers”

11. CJ Feeney says:

The Perfect Year by Dina Carroll is missing, and I agree that the Elaine Page version of Memory is the “essential” version (like Julie Covington’s Don’t Cry For Me.)
    Licensing issues, prehaps.

However, a very eclectic mix of artists. I may be picking this up as a Mothers Day pressie.

12. Marc Davies says:

Do we really need this boxset to be reminded of Lloyd Webber’s awful, shlocky derivative music? Hasn’t the nation suffered enough?

13. Kenneth says:

No Echoes from Pink Floyd no sale ; )

14. Jon says:

A shame Meat Loaf’s brilliant “A Kiss Is A Terrible Thing to Waste” was left off…instead we get the vastly inferior “The Vaults of Heaven”.

15. Sean says:

No original phantom of the opera by Steve Harley and Sarah Brightman , wasn’t that the original!

16. ANDREW r says:

what we want now is a slot plugging this on the Chris Evans show!
    “But your so talented sir Andrew , not as talented as you Chris….”
    followed up with back to back playing on Elaines sunday show…
    To think all the time i wasted on glam and punk when i could have listened to
    this ,now there ‘s the real travesty .Auntie S

17. Stevie B says:

Mine too!

18. toni says:

No vinyl release??

• HalloweenJack says:

That’s even more hilarious than Brian’s comment below: “In my own personal hell, these discs are on constant rotation for all eternity.”
      Love this thread!

19. elliott buckingham says:

i always thought chess was one of his but obviously not because I cant see one night in Bangkok or I knew him so well

I thought about “I Know Him So Well” as well, but of course that was Tim Rice and Benny/Bjorn !

• Andrew M says:

The best non Lloyd-Webber musical of modern times.

• Simon Long says:

Chess is the best musical of modern times, full stop! It’s coming back to the West End for five weeks in May / June this year – at the Coliseum, with Murray Head as the Arbiter. Can’t wait to see it on the stage again, 30 years after I first did so…

• Andrew M says:

I’d love to go to see it. Saw the original west end production and the recent touring revival. The prices for this show though are insane. No way can we afford it. We’re gutted.

• J T says:

Agreed Andrew and Simon! I was sorry to have missed the original Broadway run but was fortunate enough to catch a very well-done off-Broadway concert version/staged reading in the 1980s, second or third row center. Chess is the best musical of modern times.

Evita and Jesus Christ Superstar are rather good, though. “Rainbow High,” especially as sung by Patti Lupone…Gethsemane by Ted Neeley…”Heaven On Their Minds” as only the late great Carl Anderson can do it…so many great moments from both of those.

And let me put in a word for Cats, which to my surprise after being dragged there against my will I found to be actually worth sitting through (or standing, that performance was SRO) just to experience the late Laurie Beechman singing “Memory”. It’s an accomplishment of the writing and staging and of course the transcendent performance that out of that ludicrous nothingness could emerge something that thrilling and moving, knowing you were seeing Broadway history.

And to have not one of those three included here—well, it’s the buyer’s loss.

For what it’s worth, Annie worked very well for what it was, at least I thought so as a kid; lots of great songs I can still remember today.

20. Andrew M says:

I preordered the four disc set a few weeks ago. I’m looking forward to it.

21. Auntie Sabrina says:

What, no Elaine Paige ‘Memory’? A travesty…

22. Brian says:

In my own personal hell, these discs are on constant rotation for all eternity.

• BritinDetroit says:

Brian, might take your mind off how hot it is.

• Trash says:

You know what… I honestly don’t think it would :-)

• Brian says:

It could, possibly! I’m being a little unfair. “One Night in Bangkok” is ok. That said, in much the same way as I can no longer separate Bryan Ferry from his odious politics, I still loathe Webber for flying to the UK from LA in order to vote to ensure a bill hammering the disabled made it through the Lords. For that, he has my permanent hatred.