Annie Lennox / Diva & Medusa vinyl LPs

Annie Lennox‘s first two studio album, Diva and Medusa, are to be reissued on vinyl LP in March this year.

Diva was originally issued in 1992 – around two and a half years after Eurythmics called it a day with We Too Are One – and was a massive success, hitting the top of the album chart and spawning five top thirty singles, including the top ten hits Why, Walking On Broken Glass and Little Bird.

Like Diva, 1995’s Medusa was produced by Stephen Lipson, who had made his name engineering for Trevor Horn, and producing for acts like Frankie Goes To Hollywood and Propaganda. This time around Annie delivered an album of covers, but her inspired choice of The Lover SpeaksNo More I Love You‘s won her a GRAMMY and delivered her biggest UK solo hit to date, as it reached number two in March 1995. Three further singles couldn’t repeat that success but A Whiter Shade of Pale and Waiting In Vain were both top 20 hits.

Both Diva and Medusa will be issued on vinyl on 2 March 2018, around a month before the Eurythmics vinyl reissues start. Note: Amazon in the UK describing these as double vinyl, but I’m fairly sure that’s inaccurate and these are single vinyl releases.

Annie Lennox

2. Little Bird
3. Primitive
4. Stay By Me
5. The Gift

Medusa vinyl LP

Side 1
1. No More “I Love You’s”
2. Take Me to the River
3. A Whiter Shade of Pale
4. Don’t Let It Bring You Down
5. Train In Vain

Side 2
1. I Can’t Get Next to You
2. Downtown Lights
3. Thin Line Between Love and Hate
4. Waiting In Vain
5. Something So Right
6. Heaven

43 responses to Annie Lennox / Diva & Medusa vinyl LPs

1. Spencer says:

My Diva arrived from hmv very scratched up as inner bag was fill of dust/grit! Also the cover looks to be a cd blow up and is super blurry – I have two pretty good copies of the original but just wanted a pristine one for the sake of it! Medusa looks far better to me. Sound is very good overall.

2. Steinar says:

It’s strange that Annie Lennox MTV Unplugged never has been released as a proper album or DVD (only separate on three Cold singles…) I still prefer it to any other Unplugged album!

3. william mckinley says:

Everyone should pray for a release of deluxe versions of these cds.

4. sotong says:

Diva should have included Keep Young and Beautiful, and Step by Step (originally released by Whitney Houston) as bonus tracks. These were included in the Japan CD edition. I rather see deluxe editions of these albums.

5. Vandal76 says:

Anyone know if these will be 180g vinyl editions?
    Thanking you.

6. OB says:

1.No More “I Love You”s
    2.Take Me To The River
    3.A Whiter Shade Of Pale
    4.Dont Let It Bring You Down
    5.Train In Vain
    6.I Cant Get Next To You
    7.Downtown Lights
    8.Thin Line Between Love and Hate
    9.Waiting In Vain
    10.Something So Right
    12. Ladies Of The Canyon
    13.(I’m Always Touched by Your) Presence, Dear
    14.No more “i love you’s” remix (radio edit)
    15.A Whiter Shade Of Pale (single version)
    16.Waiting in vain (single mix)
    17.Something so right (duet with Paul Simon)
    The mixes
    4 No More “I Love You’s”
    5 Who’s That Girl
    6 You Have Placed A Chill In My Heart
    7 Waiting In Vain
    8 I Love You Like A Ball And Chain
    9 Little Bird
    10 Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)
    11 Train In Vain
    12 Why

1.Live in Central Park
    2.Money Cant Buy It
    3.Legend In My Living Room
    4.Walking On Broken Glass
    5.No More “I Love Yous”
    6.Whos That Girl?
    7.You Have Placed A Chill In My Heart
    8.Waiting In Vain
    9.I Love You Like A Ball and Chain
    10.Little Bird
    11.Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)
    12.Train In Vain

7. OB says:

1. Why
    2.Walking on broken glass
    3. Precious
    4. Legend In My Living Room
    5. Cold
    6. Money Can’t Buy It
    7. Little Bird
    8. Primitive
    9. Stay By Me
    10. The Gift
    11. Keep Young And Beautiful (album edit)
    12. Step by step
    13. Love Song For A Vampire
    14. Don’t let me down
    15. Preciuos (single edit)
    16. Little Bird (Single Version)
    17. Walking On Broken Glass (Single Mix)
    18. Why (instrumental)
    Little Bird – the remixes
    19. Little Bird (Utah Saints Remix)
    20. Little Bird (N-Joi Version)
    21. Little Bird (House of Gypsies Version)
    22. Little Bird (House of Gypsies Radio Version)
    23. Little Bird (House of Annie Version)
    24. Little Bird (Alternate Beats)
    25. Little Bird (Tee’s Freeze Mix (Dub))
    26. Little Bird (C3 Answers)
    27. Little Bird (Vocal)
    28. Little Bird (Dub I)
    29. Little Bird (Dub II)
    30. Little Bird (Annie’s Acapella)

Annie Lennox Unplugged

2.Legend In My Living Room
    4.Money Can’t Buy It
    7.The Gift
    8.Walking On Broken Glass
    9.Keep Young And Beautiful

MTV Unplugged
    10.It’s alright (baby’s coming back)
    11.Walking on broken glass
    13.River deep, mountain high
    14.Here comes the rain again
    15.You have placed a chill in my heart
    16.Feel the need
    17.Stand by me
    19. Don’t let me down

8. Mark Franklin says:

The single versions of Precious and Waiting In Vain are lovely. I also loved the whole Cold, Colder and Coldest promotion for that single at the time. Like others, would love a vinyl of the hits.

9. Steve says:

I’d prefer an Annie Lennox greatest hits on vinyl with single versions but if you’re a fan and you don’t already own these 2 then great I guess. Hope the records sound as good as the original pressings

• Paul English says:

With remixes, single edits and B-sides, you could easily get a 2CD set. Plus a DVD with the seven promo videos and maybe even the Unplugged set.

But no – we get an overpriced vinyl reissue instead. I bought the LP at the time and picked up the original CD a few years ago for 1p from Zoverstocks.

10. Mike C says:

Like what others have said, pity there is’nt a SDE of these 2 albums that would also contain along a live dvd/blu ray of her excellent MTV Unplugged performane at the Montreux Festival back in the summer of 92…..

11. Fady says:

Brilliant news! I love both of this albums and have only ever owned the CDs. I’ve been hoping for a vinyl re-release for ages. Cheers.

12. CraigA says:

Heaven was never on the Medusa album originally . It’s a b-side from WSOP single. A cover of Psychedelic Furs track. Great track

13. Robert says:

Vinyl collectors will be pleased with these reissues. I really would like to see an SDE of “Diva”.

14. mike says:

As much as i like Annie, her version of No More I Love You’s doesnt come into the orbit of the original. The Lover Speaks were breathtaking.

• Jon says:

Mike: I disagree I never liked the original Lovers Speak version…it’s tuneless. Annie added some class to it. I know many disagree with me, which is fine, but I’ll take Annie’s beautiful rendition of it anyday.

15. Anthony H. says:

I don’t believe Amazon or other retailers upload the information; it’s either the distributors or record companies.

16. CJ Feeney says:

Why does Medusa have a photo of Aisling Bea on the cover?

17. Omar says:

I don’t remember Heaven being on Medusa on the original US/UK cd. I know it was a bonus on the Japanese cd version.

18. Sid Ceaser says:

I cherish “Diva”. it’s still a gorgeous album. Was just playing the cd the other day and feeling nostalgic. LOVE the lyrics to “Why”

I’d be all over a deluxe edition with rarities and remixes. C’mon, Annie! Throw us a bone!

19. Neil says:

I’ve still got the original vinyl of Diva from when it came out so this is completely pointless to me. These albums are more suited to deluxe reissue given the wealth of bonus tracks on the CD singles.

20. Rob S says:

Wow, you don’t even get Keep Young & Beautiful for your money

21. Dan says:

I found an original copy of Diva for £5 in a record shop last month, but I’ll definitely be getting Medusa.

22. Jefferson Hendrick says:

FINALLY! Very happy to hear this. Bought a pricy copy of Diva on eBay a couple of years ago but Medusa was way pricier than I was willing to go, especially in the condition they were usually in + factoring in international shipping…..

I’ve got a Simply Vinyl copy of Diva that I found in a charity shop for a few quid. Nice.

• Jefferson says:

Nice! I wonder if Bare is on the agenda at all? I also never knew The Annie Lennox Collection had been released on vinyl til I just started doing some digging after seeing your post. Saw one that sold for $99 on eBay. TBH I’d pay that for one.

23. Rob says:

These albums would be such perfect candidate for deluxe reissues. Bonus discs with all the b-sides + blu-ray with music videos & 5.1 mixes (can you imagine what Steven Wilson could do with these???) C’mon Sony, get creative! Put in a little effort!

• CJ says:

I was so thinking that was what the announcement was going to be when I first saw the graphic. The arrangements on both would be amazing in 5.1–I’d love that sense of the room being filled with the songs. The scene in American Beauty where her version of “Don’t Let it Bring You Down” is playing, and it’s in surround, is one of my favorite moments in the film. It makes me wish there was an isolated music track.

There are so many great b-sides from both ears, plus mixes, and I’m sure there are outtakes that would stand up to the material that made the cut. Annie can do almost no wrong.

24. Chris Squires says:

See Alison Moyet, See Phil Collins….

Little point in single LP re-hashes when it wouldn’t be too hard to put together a minimum of a 2LP release with some extended versions and b-sides. Make it *interesting* ffs.

See the output of Vinyl180. In the words of Mr. Punch. That’s the way to do it.

25. Eric says:

Wasn t why n1 in uk?

26. Isaías says:

Why don’t reissue a CD+DVD (video album VHS at the time) together with Eurythmics deluxe editions of all the albums instead of releasing vinyl !!! That’s the right and worth thing to do !!!

27. MusicFan says:

I am sure these will be nice items but it is so odd that on one hand labels release really nasty compressed MP3 files and on the other hand they release old fashioned, over priced, none portable vinyl sets.

Where has the logic gone?

• RJS says:

The logic is very straightforward – flog as much product as possible by catering for everyone’s needs.

• Derek Langsford says:

RJS, you should have added “with minimal effort and expense.” Anyone who already had the original CD or vinyl or mp3 has nothing to buy here.

28. Nick says:

Amazon still often get ‘Disc one’ and ‘Disc two’ mixed up with ‘side one’ and ‘side two’ which I think is what has happened here. So one LP amazingly with two sides!

29. elliott buckingham says:

diva was a superb album never got into medusa but loved no more I love yous