Anthony Phillips / Invisible Men deluxe

Remastered • Original artwork • disc of unreleased outtakes/demos

Genesis founder member Anthony Phillips‘ 1983 album Invisible Men (written and recorded with Richard Scott) will be reissued as a two-CD deluxe edition in October.

Many of the songs on the album reflect Phillips’ anger at the 1982 Falklands War, particularly the song Exocet which wasn’t even included in the UK version of the record (issued almost six months after the US edition, in March ’84).

That song does appear in this newly remastered expanded edition, although the running order of disc one matches the Phillips-approved 2007 Japanese reissue (not the original album) and includes the same three bonus tracks.

Disc two of this set is dubbed “Invisible Men: Outtakes and Demos” and the 16-tracks are all previously unreleased.

This is a digi-pak and the booklet restores the original album artwork (the UK cover was different) and features a new essay by Jon Dann.

Invisible Men will be reissued as a deluxe edition on 13 October 2017.

Anthony Phillips

Invisible men (Expended Edition)

FNAC fr 6LP coloured vinyl box 21.25
HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 14.99

CD 1 / INVISIBLE MEN (original stereo mix – remastered)
1. Golden Bodies
2. The Women Were Watching
3. Traces
4. Exocet
5. Love in a Hot Air Balloon
6. Going for Broke
7. Falling for Love
8. Sally
9. I Want Your Heart
10. Guru
11. It’s Not Easy
12. My Time Has Come
13. Trail of Tears (bonus track)
14. The Ballad of Penlee (bonus track)
15. Alex (Atmosphere Studios Version) (bonus track)

CD 2 / INVISIBLE MEN: OUT-TAKES & DEMOS (previously unreleased)
1. Gimme Love
2. Falling for Love (Alternate Version)
3. My Time Has Come (Instrumental Mix)
4. Golden Bodies (Demo)
5. Mysterious Constitution of Comets
6. She’s Gone
7. Graciella
8. Over and Over Again
9. Tonight
10. Alien
11. Refugee from Love
12. Something Blue
13. Holding You Again
14. Darling
15. Shadow in the Desert
16. Finale (Atmosphere Studios Version)

17 responses to Anthony Phillips / Invisible Men deluxe

1. James says:

No 5.1 mix for this release? The Ant reissues have all be top-notch so far but all have included a 5.1 mix. A little disappointing.

• Steven Roberts says:

Yes, very surprised (and not in a good way) that there is no 5.1 this time around.

Wonder what the reason was? Missing tapes? Bean counting? Waning enthusiasm?

• Ex-Oligarch says:

I’m surprised this reissue is seeing the light of day at all. The album is cheesy mainstream 80s pop, entirely lacking the melodic delicacy and atmosphere of Phillips’ best work. Prog fans hated it, everybody else ignored it. Phillips himself has dismissed the record as an embarrassing misstep born of commercial pressure.

Don’t be misled by the references to the Falklands War above — the record is not some moody work of disillusioned grimness or political protest. It’s generic, superficial music built around synth presets and wrapped in all the most garish and clichéd elements of the era’s AOR production in a bid for crossover success. Thank god it sank like a stone, or Ant might never have turned back to musical styles more suited to his considerable skills.

How weak is this record? Bad enough that I can’t imagine anyone wanting to listen to it long enough to create 5.1 mixes. How hackneyed is the production? So bad that the demos might (or might not) be considerably less irritating than the finished product, so perhaps this reissue will be worth it for fans after all. But I doubt it.

Incidentally, notwithstanding the album’s commercial and artistic shortcomings, it has been previously re-issued several times on CD, most likely to satisfy the curiosity of rabid Genesis fans. The original vinyl is not rare, and as of this writing you can buy a NM/NM copy via discogs for US$2.25.

• Phideaux Xavier says:

hahaha, thank you for this lovely jog to the memory. I remember when this album came out. I bought it and quickly threw it out the window, it was so horrrrrible. However, I do find that some albums that disappointed me bitterly at the time can have some hidden treasures.

I’ll leave that to other listeners to divine in this case. I love Ant and certainly Genesis, but this was even lower than his comrade Rutherford on a bad day.

2. Aaron says:

Looking forward to this. Really hoping the series continues with Tarka, Missing Links I-IV, sail the world and another private parts box…and everything else!!

3. Marty says:

I am pleased as I have just started looking for a CD of this…As Aaron says above – more please!

4. James Lee says:

This has nothing to do with this thread but having just listened to the new OMD album on red vinyl the first coloured vinyl I have bought I wonder do they all sound this bad?
    Thanks to Paul for an excellent site. One thing I enjoy is thinking “I haven’t played them for a while” This happened with China Crisis and I hd forgotten just how good they are.

5. tom m hans says:

Pardon me not knowing – who is Anthony Phillips?

• CJ Feeney says:

Read the first line of the article!

• Ex-Oligarch says:

Are you being snarky, or did you just fail to read the first three words of the article?

• tom m hans says:

Ouch – touche – I am in Florida riding out a storm – I missed that. Mea Culpa.

• Ex-Oligarch says:

I can see why you were distracted! Here’s hoping you make it through safely!

Incidentally, if you’re curious about Anthony Phillips’ music, my favorite record of his is “The Geese and The Ghost” from 1977, which features Mike Rutherford prominently, as well as Phil Collins (who sings two of the three vocal numbers). It’s a lovely record that sounds a lot like the acoustic moments of 1970’s Genesis, and is generally regarded as a bit of an underappreciated classic. You can stream the whole thing on youtube and see what you think of it.

6. elliott buckingham says:

the yellow vinyl of omd sounds very good. I buy a lot of coloured vinyl and hear no noticeable difference is sound after black vinyl is coloured black.

• CJ Feeney says:

Quite a few industrial products were made black to improve their lifespan – for some reason the black compound that was used (I think it was carbon) made them less susceptible to degradation by sunlight.

7. John Barleycorn says:

Wow, judging by the comments it sounds like an utter stinker and unworthy of the effort of a 5.1 surround sound unless you want to play it as torture.

8. Royal Scam says:

That harsh criticism is hardly deserved. Think side one of ‘Sides’ with the production/sound of ‘1984’ – a very 80s pop sound, certainly, with a fair amount of drumbox as on 1984, and if that’s not your bag, fine. But the melodies are typical Phillips and the tunes catchy, and it is quite cleverly done. Would’ve liked to hear a remix, but nevertheless I’m glad this overlooked record is getting a re-release.

9. Don Schouest says:

I wasn’t aware of this album and so did a bit of sample listening. I found one or two tracks a little off but mostly this sounds not to far off from Bankstatement and Mike and the Mechanics. As a fan of Genesis side-projects this is a pleasant surprise!