Back to the 80s: Various Artists / New Wave Hits blue/red swirl vinyl

Rhino have created a new compilation of New Wave Hits for their Back to the 80s vinyl reissue campaign and this 10-track compilation will be pressed on blue/red ‘swirl’ vinyl.

Sometimes less is more and I quite like the simplicity of this set, even if the selections are familiar enough, with Duran Duran, a-ha, Kajagoogoo, Talk Talk and Dream Academy all represented. Joy Division add a bit of grit at the end.

New Wave Hits will be released on 27 July 2018.

New Wave Hits

New Wave Hits - blue/red swirl vinyl LP

HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 20.99

Side One:

1. a-ha – Take On Me
  2. Duran Duran – Hungry Like The Wolf
  3. The Cars – Shake It Up
  4. Kajagoogoo – Too Shy
  5. Echo & The Bunnymen – Lips Like Sugar

Side Two:

1. Spandau Ballet – Chant No. 1 (I Don’t Need This Pressure On)
  2. The Dream Academy – Life In A Northern Town
  3. Talk Talk – It’s My Life
  4. Gang Of Four – I Love A Man In A Uniform
  5. Joy Division – Love Will Tear Us Apart

28 responses to Back to the 80s: Various Artists / New Wave Hits blue/red swirl vinyl

1. LM says:

what a dull “compilation”

2. memoryboy says:

Reading these comments has me laughing! Hilarious!

The term ‘New Wave’ can be applied to so many bands back in the 80’s. I always saw it as a term for any music that was kinda more edgy than your typical top-40’s. Definitely anything that had post-punk attitude but with a mix of drum machines and synths. Some bands were not considered “New Wave” but they had that one hit that sounded like maybe it was New Wave. I just find it funny when people get all serious or snobby about titles or lables.
    Is Kajagoogoo considered “New Wave”? Well, maybe. It depends who you ask. The Cars? My opinion on The Cars is that when I hear songs like “Just What I Needed” “Best Friends Girlfriend” and “Let’s Go” I myself think of early New Wave. It’s not just Rock, the synths and attitude seemed more edgy than your typical rock band. And other songs like “Hello Again” and “Drive” and others… yeah, I consider The Cars a classic New Wave band. But also a very mainstream New Wave band.

So many bands and songs fit the New Wave term. A Flock Of Seagulls, Duran Duran (New Romantic), Blondie, Howard Jones…. I never considered the Go-Go’s to be Punk Rock… I always saw them as New Wave. Joy Division? Hmmm, not really, but New Order? Maybe not. New Order is more a mix of Synth-pop and Alternative rock, right? LOL

It’s a debate that could go on and on for days. Kinda like Religion, Politics, Being Vegan and who’s your favorite rock band. Blah, blah, blah… The never ending debate.

3. MARK LEVY says:

If you want a really good 80s compilation. Look for one entitled Smash Hits. Half of the tracks listed are on it and many other good ones.

4. Steve says:

Picked this sainsbury exclusive up for £20 today.
    Much more satisfying compilation

5. daveid76 says:

Surprised there’s no Pet shop Boys given the cover typeface echoing the West End Girls single.

6. Tim-meh says:

Apparently they’ve got Twisted Sister and Alien Sex Fiend on the sister ‘New Romantic Hits’ compilation.

• colm47 says:

I despair! Who picked these “New Wave” tracks?
      Kajagoogoo on one side and my favourite band Joy Division on the other side.
      Ian Curtis wouldn’t be happy

7. RJS says:

Talking of K-Tel, it must only be a matter of time until those Pickwick Top of The Pops cover version compilation albums featuring Page 3 models on the cover are reissued on vinyl. They’ll sell loads if they reissue them on picture discs that replicate the cover!

8. Cosmo Castanza says:

Dear oh dear …..New Wave !
    Surprised Joe Dolce , St Winifreds School Choir and The Kids From Fame are not on this.

9. RJS says:

The cover is a shocker; primary school standard! Most of the tracks feature on this 80 track CD compilation that was released six months ago and costs £6.99. As they say in the US (and increasingly the UK), “do the math”!

10. Charles Christopher says:

This has ‘dad gift’ or ‘someone born after 2000 who likes retro vinyl but won’t search for a vintage Pretty in Pink soundtrack LP’ written all over it (probably in a pink neon font).

Ugh, I’m so negative, I feel like all I’ve done lately is gripe about a lot of the minimum effort releases lately. I guess there’s just been a glut of those recently.

11. negative1 says:

i would hardly consider the rock band the cars ‘new wave’.

maybe progressive pop, or synth rock.. sure they dressed
    like new wave, but that doesn’t make them that.

later

12. Chris Squires says:

Today I have silenced the banging drum. The drum that I consistently smacked for Vinyl.

This is utter tosh. Like sex in a multi-storey car park. It’s wrong on so many levels. Most have already been listed below.
    10 tracks for £17. I think I have them all on Vinyl except the Gang of Four.
    I have many, many too many compilations from Now Dance 12″ers thru Smash Hits back to my sister’s old 1976 (?) K-tel compilation with Terry Jacks and Carl Douglas et al. Each brings some delight, whether it’s musical flow, childhood revisited or just 25 minutes of stonking hits from Ballroom Blitz to Vienna.

This has none of that at 3 times the price and zero charm. Bottom line, if your partner made you a mix-tape with just this selection you would be re-considering your future.

I agree it’s not a brilliant compilation, but I *do* like the idea of a short 10-track collection that you might play a lot. Record companies can never get away with this on CD since people want value (“fill up the disc”) so vinyl does offer that opportunity. BUT it’s much harder to get it right if you just have 9 or 10 tracks to play with.

13. Charles Christopher says:

Yikes! Even those old K-tel compilations were less stingy or all-over-the-place with the track listings……
    Still I think this is aimed at more casual buyers than people really into ‘new wave’ (which to Americans, Kajagoogoo, like, totally were!). Definitely not for the collectors.

14. Craig says:

“Back in my day…” these K-Tel like compilations were like $5 US or a double-LP for like $10. But $22 for this?

Forget the song titles and the pros or cons of each…I get the the “vinyl is cool stuff” but don’t we all have these songs and those like them on multiple CD’s and various versions – album, radio, 12″, remix, 7″, etc?

If I am making one of these, I would at least try to find some hard to find mixes or some popular songs that may not be or will ever be on “new” vinyl.

But I do like the red/blue swirl idea!

15. Torchomatic says:

Woah, what a bad compilation.

16. xymox970 says:

Blue & Red coloured vinyl is really nice, but when it comes to compilations who would buy a single LP nowadays when there is so much to choose between when it comes to 3-5CD 80s compiilations of all sorts ?

It there are no real rarities / obscure tracks in question, a 2LP set at least should be in order……

17. gary oliver says:

nobody will like all ten tracks.
    reminds me of those punk compilations that run out of steam and have to finish with Lene Lovich or Jilted John

18. CJ says:

Seeing “I Love a Man in Uniform” reminds me to ask, has anything ever come of the reissues of the Shakespeares Sister albums (Siobhan did a really dark interpolation of it in one of her songs on Songs From the Red Room)? The last I knew, there was a battle going on between her and one of the reissue labels as to who had the right to release them.

19. Martin Power says:

Flipping heck – Kajagoogoo are new wave!! Who would have thought it…