Back to the 80s: Yes / 90125 tri-colour (pink, yellow, blue) vinyl LP

Yes‘ big selling 90125 album will be reissued on ‘tri-coloured’ vinyl in July.

The 1983 album was produced by Trevor Horn features the US chart-topper Owner Of A Lonely Heart (which curiously only peaked at number 28 in the UK).

This is part of Rhino’s Back To The 80s series and (like The Time reissue) is pressed on tri-coloured vinyl, although in this case the three colours echo the cover art: pink, yellow and blue.

90125 will be reissued on vinyl on 13 July 2018.

90125 [VINYL]

HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 24.99

Side One:

1. Owner Of A Lonely Heart
  2. Hold On
  3. It Can Happen
  4. Changes

Side Two:

1. Cinema
  2. Leave It
  3. Our Song
  4. City Of Love
  5. Hearts

16 responses to Back to the 80s: Yes / 90125 tri-colour (pink, yellow, blue) vinyl LP

1. Mick says:

Even though I bought the picture disc, I’m still all in for this.
    I’d love to see a Panegyric /Steven Wilson SDE of this one (and Big Generator…and Drama!).

2. Klaus says:

This is my all-time favourite record. When it was released i was 19 and unlike some mates of mine i thought that Yes were a bunch of keyboard-gneedling long-haired dope addicts that had absolutely no relevance to me whatsoever.
    Having listened to Owner Of A Lonely Heart several times on the radio i thought, well at least they have one decent song now. Shortly after the album was released it was on offer at a nearby record store for about 10 Deutschmarks, which was a really good price for new releases back then and i thought i give it a try. Best idea ever in my music-collecting life so far.
    I was really blown away by the mash-up of prog-rock and pop that this record offered and it didn’t took long to discover that there was a similar not quite so good record called Abacab by Genesis that i then listened to in turns with 90125.
    These two albums are not so highly ranked amongst the lovers of these bands, but to me they were the door-openers to the wonderful world of Progressive Rock and later to all kinds of other music like Jazz, Blues, Asian, African and so on.
    And @Dean: Just last week i bought the T-shirt with the cover art of 90125 on burningshed.com and i’ll wear it proudly.
    In the end it all comes down to personal taste.

3. Sandy S. says:

There is a fantastic segment during “Classic Artists: Yes” (the greatest DVD documentary on a band of all time besides The Beatles Anthology) when some people like Yes’ former road manager are bashing 90125 when Rick Wakeman comes in and says the truth: 90125 SAVED Yes’ career. They were done, finished as a band. In fact, it so revitalized the group that Wakeman said he would’ve loved to have played in the band at that time. But whether people like the Rabin version of Yes or not, Wakeman feels that Yes fans should be eternally grateful that Rabin emerged on the scene or Yes wouldn’t have ever done anything else. It gave their name the massive boost that it needed. And honestly, if you go back and listen to 90125 and especially Big Generator and Talk, they are extremely progressive, technically brilliant records. “Owner” is still one of the most innovative singles in the history of popular music as is explained in the documentary. That song may have been the most innovative song that any artist had recorded since The Beatles. “Changes” is just downright crazy in its arrangement. “Cinema” is a beautiful instrumental. The outtake “Make It Easy” should have been put on the record. Trevor used to play the beginning of it to introduce “Owner” in concert. I don’t feel the Rabin albums have the consistency of the early 70’s records, but man there are some great songs on them.

4. Mathew Lauren says:

I love “90125,” and I’m baffled as to why this hasn’t received 5.1+ treatment, especially the 15-song, expanded-release version of the album, that is always somewhere in rotation in the MBZ disc-changer.

This is the kind of Record Company dithering (or B.S.), that really p!ss€s-me-off! It’s a multiplatinum seller, they’re not going to lose money, here! Ever!

The EXPANDED EDITION, 15-song album in glorious SW 5.1+ (yes, I want SW to mix something popular, a guaranteed seller in “ATMOS” OR “X”) would “bring down the house.”

Rhino: Just get it done, already!

• negative1 says:

Because they are concentrating on earlier material, and later on
      maybe they will get to this one.

Look forward to the 40th anniversary.

later

• Julian H says:

Steven doesn’t like the album, he won’t do it in 5.1. And there you have your answer.

5. AlexKx says:

Does anyone know if this will or will not be released in the U.S. of A.?

6. Robert says:

Yes , and prog rock in general, is not really my bag.
    But da– this is a great album from my teen years and my fond MTV memories. To this
    day ‘It Can Happen’ remains one of my favorites of the decade.
    I may give this a buy
    thanks for the posting.

7. Martin Howlett says:

Anywhere else apart from Amazon? Their packaging is awful. Had 2 broken vinyls recently!

8. Only a year after the (pink, yellow, blue) Record Store Day picture disc? I think I’ve bought this album enough times now thanks.

9. LeBaron says:

Has 90125 been given the Steve Wilson treatment?

10. Michael says:

Although the earlier trilogy of Yes albums get the most attention today (The Yes Album, Fragile, Close to the Edge), “90125” remains one of my top five favourite Yes albums. For “90125” the group was being pressured to transition to a more commercial radio friendly style in order to survive. Although most prog-rock fans thought this album was a bit of a sell-out for the band, the single “Owner of a Lonely Heart” got heavy radio play, and made this album a great success in Canada and the U.S., reaching No. 3 and No. 5 respectively in the charts. For me, “90125” was well written, executed and refreshing — ushering in a new more contemporary sound, but retaining distinct Yes elements to the compositions. After all this was released in 1983 when new wave, synth-pop and punk rock was attracting the most attention.

So in addition to the “Steven Wilson Mixed” Yes vinyl record box set, I’m excited to know “90125” is being re-released on tri-colour vinyl, and hope it will also be made available in North America this July.

• Dean says:

The more commercial line-up, with Rabin replacing Howe, definitely had its moments. This album was huge when it was initially released. Actually, there’s not a bad track on here.

That said, it hasn’t aged as well as other Yes albums, the 80’s production is evident throughout. And that cover art is just horrific.