Bad Company / The Swan Song Years 1974-1982 / 6CD clamshell box set

Bad Company are to celebrate their 45th anniversary with, The Swan Song Years 1974-1982, a new 6CD box set of their albums.

The six-disc Bad Company: The Swan Song Years 1974-1982 collects together their output for Swan Song. These are all fairly recent remasters (from the original tapes), with Desolation Angels and Rough Diamonds brand new 2019 remastered versions. The other albums included are: Bad Company (1974), Straight Shooter (1975), Run with the Pack (1976), and Burnin’ Sky (1977).

Bad Company formed when members of Free (Paul Rodgers, Simon Kirke), King Crimson (Boz Burrell) and Mott The Hoople (Mick Ralphs) decided to pool their talents back in 1973. They became the first band to sign to Led Zeppelin’s Swan Song label later that year.

The band’s 1974 debut Bad Company went to number one in America and was a massive seller thanks to songs like ‘Can’t Get Enough,’ ‘Rock Steady,’ and ‘Movin’ On’. The multi-platinum streak continued a year later with Straight Shooter which delivered standouts like ‘Good Lovin’ Gone Bad,’ ‘Shooting Star’ and the Grammy-nominated smash, ‘Feel Like Makin’ Love.’

The band carried on with double-platinum releases for the next few albums, before ceasing operation in 1982 after the measly gold of Rough Diamonds, becoming the last studio album the original quartet released.

Bad Company: The Swan Song Years 1974-1982 is released 2 August 2019. For some reason, Amazon have an incorrect image showing… but you’ll see that the UK price, in particular, is very competitive, for this set.

Bad Company

Bad Company - The Swan Song Years 1974-1982 - 6CD box

CD1: Bad Company (2015 Remaster)

1. Can’t Get Enough
  2. Rock Steady
  3. Ready For Love
  4. Don’t Let Me Down
  5. Bad Company
  6. The Way I Choose
  7. Movin’ On
  8. Seagull

CD2: Straight Shooter (2015 Remaster)

1. Good Lovin’ Gone Bad
  2. Feel Like Makin’ Love
  3. Weep No More
  4. Shooting Star
  5. Wild Fire Woman
  6. Anna
  7. Call On Me

CD3: Run with the Pack (2017 Remaster)

1. Live For The Music
  2. Simple Man
  3. Honey Child
  4. Love Me Somebody
  5. Run With The Pack
  6. Silver, Blue & Gold
  7. Young Blood
  8. Do Right By Your Woman
  9. Sweet Lil’ Sister
  10. Fade Away

CD4: Burnin’ Sky (2017 Remaster)

1. Burnin’ Sky
  2. Morning Sun
  3. Leaving You
  4. Like Water
  5. Knapsack (The Happy Wanderer)
  6. Everything I Need
  7. Heartbeat
  8. Peace Of Mind
  9. Passing Time
  10. Too Bad
  11. Man Needs Woman
  12. Master Of Ceremony

CD5: Desolation Angels (2019 Remaster)

1. Rock ‘n’ Roll Fantasy
  2. Crazy Circles
  3. Gone, Gone, Gone
  4. Evil Wind
  5. Early In The Morning
  6. Lonely For Your Love
  7. Oh, Atlanta
  8. Take The Time
  9. Rhythm Machine
  10. She Brings Me Love

CD6: Rough Diamonds (2019 Remaster)

1. Electricland
  2. Untie The Knot
  3. Nuthin’ On The TV
  4. Painted Face
  5. Kickdown
  6. Ballad Of The Band
  7. Cross Country Boy
  8. Old Mexico
  9. Downhill Ryder

23 responses to Bad Company / The Swan Song Years 1974-1982 / 6CD clamshell box set

1. Mathew Lauren says:

Would love to have these in 5.1+

I was always under the impression that these were released as part of Zep’s SWAN SONG venture, so in that vein of thought, I guess it’s no surprise (to me) that NONE of these were remixed to surround given that Jimmy hasn’t moved on ANY surround-sound studio-album plans (once openly discussed) for the mighty Zep catalogue.

Appreciate the enlightenment re: different labels and contracts across the globe for this band’s studio album releases.

Still, no matter who holds the rights (NOW), no surround-sound is forthcoming.

Shame.

2. J says:

I would love to see the Desolation Angels 2 cd deluxe come to the market. The tour for this LP started on 2/28/1979 in Newcastle UK and ended on 09/22/79 in Norfolk VA. There are ample recordings live & otherwise to make this happen. Bonham passed in September 1980 and Swan Song promptly fell to pieces.
    For Rough Diamonds, the band recorded in Surrey as they had for Angels. Peter Grant had disappeared by this point, Paul Rodgers showed up to sing & then quickly exited once something was recorded and the band did not get along all that well. Very little material was completed and there was no tour to support the LP. Hence demos for the sessions are scarce and no live material was recorded. There are a few demos with Co as a 3 piece with Mick singing guide vocals but very little else of decent quality in the vault
    But I can still wish
    J

3. Ausmonty says:

Paul,
    Any idea if there is going to be vinyl box set?

4. Big Nige says:

My initial thought was “pfft”, after buying, and loving, the previous 4 deluxe doubles and expecting at least Desolation Angels to be given the same treatment. But at a shade over 20 quid for one of my favourite bands…. OK it’s ordered! It may even go down! Say them twice in 79, superb! As for the Swan Song thing, I’m sure DA was the first to released actually on that label….. and the Pretty Things sign up “first”. Can’t remember now….

5. Isaías says:

I suppose there will be no deluxe edition of Desolation Angels and Rough Diamonds since these albums aren’t strong enough and Peter Grand (after John Boham’s death) did not care about the band. I think this box is to complete the remaster serie. Anyway I hope I’m wrong !

• Brad says:

If that’s the case they’d better issue standalone versions of those two albums since this set uses the Deluxe Edition masters for the first 4 albums and a lot of us have those already.

6. wesmont says:

Wish they’d included Paul Rodgers’ first solo cd. Wasn’t that on Swan SONG?

7. Ray says:

Yeah I agree, can’t see them putting Desolation Angels & Rough Diamonds out as the 2 CD Deluxe versions now. So hey I pre-ordered the Box set 6 CD’s in a Box just over £21, you can’t go wrong a steal.

8. Mike says:

I see Amazon have managed to use the wrong cover photos, (the white one from a 2015 best of)!

9. David Bly says:

“They became the first band to sign to Led Zeppelin’s Swan Song label later that year.”

Uh, not to be picky, but because of existing contracts, the first four of these albums (easily the best ones) were originally released on Island Records in the UK, Europe, South America, and South Africa.
    They were on Swan Song in the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Japan..

As an American who has all of those albums on Island, they are Island albums to me, and many others (although not is the US so much).

• Dave says:

Actually, Island in Australia as well – and i feel the same way about them – ‘appropriated’ by SwanSong, lol

• David Bly says:

and NZ too. I somehow misread the list of releases.
        Thanks for that!

Also, I see I wrote “on Swan Song in the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Japan.”
        OOPS! That should’ve been the US in that list. D’oh!

So now the ‘official’ tally is “The first four of albums were only on Swan Song in the US, Canada, and Japan.”

10. Bob Preston says:

Grabbed and nabbed at that price. Got the first 2 deluxe but not so bothered about the others. Thanks Paul.

11. Martin says:

Would much prefer they finish the 2CD deluxe versions before this

• Charles K. says:

I agree, been getting those and had a sneaking feeling they would end it before finishing. I wouldn’t be surprised if this wasn’t the plan all along. Definitely not getting this since I already have Desolation and Diamonds remastered, these are probably the same versions anyways.

• Jim Galvin says:

I Agree, this annoys me to have the 4 Double sets and having to purchase this just to get the last two. I hope someone is smart enough to do the Brian Howe fronted albums as well because there were some really good songs on those.

12. Wayne Klein says:

I have to wonder how much additional material they have for the Rough Diamonds album seeing as the band was running on fumes at that point. I like the album but it always felt like a contractual obligation album to me.

If they have any shows from that time and demos or alternate take that would justify me repurchasing both. 8 don’t know how the 2 Cd sets sold though so it is entirely possible that we might not see deluxe for these depending on h9w they did.

13. David B says:

Many thanks .. ordered .. great set and, as you say. at a great price. Cheers

14. Brad says:

I hope they will still complete the 2CD Deluxe Edition series with Desolation Angels and Rough Diamonds.