Bette Midler / The Divine Miss M: deluxe

divinemissm

Bette Midler‘s debut album The Divine Miss M is being reissued as a two-CD deluxe edition next month.

The 1972 album was originally issued on Atlantic Records and spawned four top 40 hit singles in America, including Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy which peaked at number eight. The long-player would win Midler a Grammy the following year for ‘best new artist’.

Bette delivers a performance of Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy on the Burt Bacharach Special in 1973

This 2016 reissue delivers remastered audio and a bonus disc of single mixes, early versions and demos. A vinyl version will also be released, with tracks limited to album-only.

The 2CD deluxe and vinyl are issued on 21 October 2016.

Bette Midler

6. Friends (Session 1)
7. Hello In There
8. Leader Of The Pack
9. Delta Dawn
10. Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy
11. Friends (Session 2)

Disc: 2 (2CD deluxe only)
1. Chapel Of Love (The Single Mix) [Remastered]
2. Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy (The Single Version) [Remastered]
3. Do You Want To Dance? (The Single Mix) [Remastered]
4. Friends (The Single Mix) [Remastered]
5. Old Cape Cod (Early Version)
6. Marahuana (Early Version)
7. Superstar (Alternate Version)
8. Saturday Night (Demo)
9. Mr. Freedom And I (Demo)

13 responses to Bette Midler / The Divine Miss M: deluxe

1. Rob says:

Wish they could have put the quad mix on a DVD-A or Blu-ray. :-(

2. Billy Dojcak says:

I’d rather have a reissue by Devine

3. bert says:

Why is Ronald McDonald on the cover?

4. Matthias says:

This album had a *fantastic* quadraphonic mix. ;-)

5. Stevo says:

Yes, I agree. The quad mix is very good.

6. gwynogue says:

Hmmmm…I adore Bette but I’m a bit so-so about this. 20 tracks could surely fit on one disc. If not, ‘Old Cape Cod’ and ‘Marahuana’ could be cut because they were on her ‘Songs For The New Depression’ album. I was hoping there’d be some live material included – I know a lot of people don’t like live tracks as bonus, but her live shows (especially in the 70’s) were pretty raucous so I think it would be quite entertaining. Maybe even include a DVD of TV performances.

But grumbling aside, I don’t already have this album on CD so I’ll definitely be buying it.

7. HS says:

Already have this on CD and a couple of vinyls but I am definitely getting this new CD! Hopefully more of her albums will follow in expanded versions.

8. Shane says:

Wow wow and wow at something of Bette to get this treatment, although is that all there is? Apart from the Quad mix. I wonder if this will lead to her next albums, and the one that was completely shelved and reworked. There was a website that listed all the shelved tracks for each album. I’m salivating at the mouth now…

• HS says:

Only “Songs For The New Depression” has received a recent re-master but none of her albums have been expanded. I would gladly buy all her albums again for good remasters and bonus material.

I also find it rather odd that she has never released a definitive, double best of CD. There have been a few compilations but they all seem to exclude some singles in favor of album tracks etc.

9. Lawrence Geller says:

No quad, no deal.

10. Martyn Whitwood says:

Here’s hoping ‘Art or Bust’ may get a DVD release.