Big Country / Not in Kansas: The Live Bootleg Box Set 1993-1998 / 5CDs

Later this month Cherry Red will issue We’re Not In Kansas, a five-CD box set that collects Big Country live performances from the 1990s.

These five live shows are released officially for the first time in this ‘Live Bootleg Box’ as the band went on the road to promote 1993’s The Buffalo Skinners and Why The Long Face from 1995.

Obviously, there’s loads of familiar hits here, such as In A Big Country, Look Away and Wonderland, but amongst the self-penned material is a smattering of covers, including Blue Oyster Cult‘s Don’t Fear The Reaper; My, My, Hey Hey and Rockin’ In The Free World (Neil Young) and Tracks Of My Tears (Smokey Robinson & The Miracles).

Founder members Bruce Watson and Tony Butler have been interviewed for the notes in the booklet and this set will be released on 24 November 2017.

Big Country

12. I’M NOT ASHAMED
13. JUST A SHADOW
14. LONG WAY HOME
15. THE STORM
16. THIRTEEN VALLEYS

DISC FIVE:
ROTTERDAM ROTOWN 28/08/95 (continued)

1. DON’T FEAR THE REAPER

9. YOU DREAMER
10. LOOK AWAY
11. CHANCE
12. IN A BIG COUNTRY

TUNBRIDGE WELLS HIGH ROCKS 09/06/95
13. DAYDREAM BELIEVER

22 responses to Big Country / Not in Kansas: The Live Bootleg Box Set 1993-1998 / 5CDs

1. We`re not in Torquay anymorew. says:

Great band keeping the flame alight. This looks good. Will buy.

2. scottyboy says:

I thought it would have been better to have each longer concert on one disc instead of overlapping onto two and the shorter sets compiled onto single discs.

3. pinkfloyd says:

to those who hold the copyright of Big Country:
    may I suggest a rerelease of the (4?) Singles Box Sets? it has been oop for so so long & going for silly money…

• Stuart says:

There was 4 (blue, red, green and black)….but please no re-issue as selling these are part of my retirement plans ;-)

Seriously though, agreed that these go for silly prices but a re-issue would only be worthwhile imho if a re-mastering exercise took place

• Simon Long says:

The box sets were also a bit of a rushed job with numerous rare tracks missing, mainly from the Buffalo Skinners and WTLF era – things like the studio version of Rockin’ In The Free World and the live Chance from “Alone”, Woodstock and Cracked Actor from “Ships”, the acoustic In A Big Country from “I’m Not Ashamed”, and I’m Eighteen, Vicious and On The Road Again from “You Dreamer”. The first two boxes were pretty comprehensive, but 3 and 4 were a mess.

• Steve W says:

The reason these go for silly prices is the label they are on “Track Records”.

I believe Track Records was formed by Big Country’s Manager, He bought the name Track Records.

Everything after Stuart’s death was put in Track Records, various complications, the singles box set and the Rarities collection.

Around the time of when the black singles box set was due to be released, I believe Track Records folded, hence why the black box singles collection is extremely rare. The black singles box set didn’t hit many uk stores, I got mine from memory, from Germany

To the best of my knowledge the manager still holds the rights of the singles box sets and rarities, so any record label would have to pay a fair bit to get them reissued

• Simon Long says:

Yes, Track Records was basically Ian Grant (the manager of BC) selling off everything the band had ever committed to tape that he could lay his hands on; while the first few rarities compilations released on Track were very good, the later ones are a mess; all sorts of repeated tracks across them and truly shocking sound quality.

I believe that Ian Grant had actually had some involvement with the original first incarnation of the Track Records label, which is why he was able to acquire the name.

There was then a massive falling-out between BC and Grant – I’m not sure of the details, but it was about the time that the reformed line-up fronted by Mike Peters also imploded, losing Tony Butler and resulting in the covers band who bear their name and are still doing the rounds. I do wish Bruce Watson would accept that BC is over; if he wants to carry on on tour with himself, the drummer and a bunch of completely unrelated musicians, that’s fine, but it isn’t Big Country and shouldn’t be using the name.

4. Steven Roberts says:

to those who hold the copyright of Big Country (part 2):

a 5.1 mix of The Crossing is also long overdue….. :)

• Simon Long says:

I’m not convinced The Crossing would benefit hugely from 5.1 – it’s a comparatively simple stereo rock recording without a huge amount going on in terms of effects or ambience. BC were never really about proggy flourishes or grand concepts – they were more of a straight-ahead rock band (albeit a very good one). I can’t see 5.1 adding much to any of their albums.

5. Mij says:

What the fans really want is the unreleased Robin Millar mix of “The Seer”.

• Aleutia says:

The holy grail of big country fans

• Simon Long says:

I’d love to hear that, but it seems to be completely lost in the vaults of Mercury, and they have no apparent interest in disinterring it. It didn’t surface among all the material Ian Grant put out, or on the remastered 2-disc version of The Seer back in 2014, and that was probably the last chance for a release; there just aren’t enough people who know about it to provide the demand required. A real shame, as it is reputed to fix everything I dislike about the sound of The Seer, but I doubt we’ll ever see it.

• tom says:

It doesn’t exist. I’ve asked Robin via his website and he said there was a DAT made at the time which is now lost and no other copies were made.

6. Marty says:

‘Why The Long Face’ – one of the best albums covers. Ever. Great band that seems to be ageing very well. I shall also get this one.

7. Chris Squires says:

In August 1984 we had an American schoolkid come to live with us in Birmingham for a year and go to our school. He was from Little Rock, Arkansas. Which to me, in the UK was in the absolute middle of nowhere. Don’t forget we hadn’t even heard of Bill Clinton by then.

He was an absolute Big Country nut. He had everything and always listened to them whenever he could on cassette. To this day I could never work out, in pre-internet days, how someone so far from Big Country’s home market could be such a massive fan. Did they have any American success? I guess they must have done. They must have had some radio-play success to penetrate the mind of a 17 yr. old kid from Arkansas.

Anyway he did his job and converted a good dozen or so of us to BC at various teenage parties. I will have to check out where Kansas is now.

I would prefer studio material to live so this is not for me, but the post bought back happy teenage memories.

• Eric says:

I was and still an American obsessed with them…it was all because they got quite a bit of airplay from The Crossing, Steeltown, and to a lesser extent, The Seer in the later 80s. After that, zilch. I saw them twice on the Buffalo Skinners tour which was fantastic.

8. Javier says:

¿How about a rerelease of the AT THE BBC box set?

9. Paul Wren says:

These look like the very good quality bootleg recordings that have been doing the rounds for years amongst Big Country fans, ie radio broadcasts/sound board recordings. It will be nice for a change to hear them properly cleaned up via studio trickery etc.

• Will says:

I’m waiting to hear a few sound samples first before purchasing.
      This is Cherry Red and my gut feel is that they will just use the bootlegs as is.
      I haven’t any mention of any clean up or enhancements being made to the recordings – you would think they would mention it if they had.

10. Larry Davis says:

Oh Big Country did/and do have some hardcore US fans…absolutely…”The Crossing” was a Top 20 album in the US…hit #18, went gold, and on the charts for months (followups “Steeltown”, “The Seer” went Top 100 and “Peace In Our Time” #160)…”In A Big Country” was a Top 20 single in the US…hit #17 (#3 on the rock chart too)…and “Fields Of Fire” & “Wonderland” lesser Hot 100 followup charters, and on the rock charts, they hit with those 2 plus “Look Away” (#5), “King Of Emotion” and “The One I Love”…so they had a decent amount of success, if not HUGE…I saw them for the first time 2-3 years ago, when Mike Peters from the Alarm was their lead singer, and they were quite good…would have been a nice bonus if they threw in some Alarm songs as well…a hybrid Big Country/Alarm woulda been great!!

11. Wayne Kisbee says:

Have a load of live BC recordings, including all these and the full Tunbridge Wells recording but all are from master or 1st generation audience recordings and not soundboards.

A lot of work would have had to go into this project and I just can’t believe they are just going to release bootlegs as is.

12. David says:

I was at the Minneapolis show included on this box.