Black / Wonderful Life 2CD Deluxe

Black / Wonderful Life 2CD Deluxe Edition

Wonderful Life by Black (aka Colin Vearncombe) was originally released back in 1987 and was a significant success in the UK, yielding two top ten hit singles in the (reissued) title track and the single Sweetest Smile.

March 18th sees a deluxe reissue of this album in the form of a two-CD set, which comprises the full original album plus a second CD of 14 bonus tracks, including the original Ugly Man version of the Wonderful Life single plus a selection of B-sides and four songs from a 1986 Janice Long session. The album’s liner notes come complete with a specially commissioned interview with Colin.

Wonderful Life Deluxe Edition track listing:

11. Ravel in the Rain
  12. Leave Yourself Alone
  13. Sixteens
  14. It’s Not You Lady Jane
  15. Hardly Star-Crossed Lovers

Disc 2

1. Wonderful Life (Ugly Man Single)
  2. Birthday Night (Ugly Man Single)
  3. Dagger Reel (B-Side Paradise)
  4. Sometimes For The Asking (B-Side Paradise)
  5. Everything’s Coming Up Roses (The Fairly Mental Mix)
  6. Have It Your Own Way (B-Side I’m Not Afraid)
  7. My Lover (B-Side I’m Not Afraid)
  8. Life Calls (B-Side Wonderful Life)
  9. Had Enough (B-Side Wonderful Life)
  10. All We Need Is The Money (B-Side Wonderful Life)
  11. Sometimes For The Asking (Janice Long session 1986)
  12. Everything’s Coming Up Roses (Janice Long session 1986)
  13. I’m Not Afraid (Janice Long session 1986)
  14. Sweetest Smile (Janice Long session 1986)

16 responses to Black / Wonderful Life 2CD Deluxe

1. Paul Chapman says:

Can’t wait !!

2. matt says:

Is Everything’s Coming Up Roses actually dropped from the original album or is that just a mistake?

Could be a mistake, but not on our part. This was the track listing we were given. I will look into this and report back. P

• Francis says:

Well spotted! – The original 1987 CD album featured 15 tracks and included “Everything Is Coming Up Roses” which was track 2, so it seems odd that it has not been included on the new 2CD reissue, apart from in the form of a remix and session recording.

1. Wonderful Life
      11. Ravel In The Rain
      12. Leave Yourself Alone
      13. Sixteens
      14. It’s Not You Lady Jane
      15. Hardly Star-Crossed Lovers

3. Michel Drolet says:

My firt contact with Black was when he was support act for a Chris de Burgh tour sometime in the ’80’s and he was excellent…always wanted to check that album but never did for some reason…now may be the time!!

4. Dan Gisbourne says:

I’m really excited about this release, I listened to the Album non-stop back in ’87…The track list looks healthy with only a couple of 7″ versions missing [Paradise] and [I’m Not Afraid] the only one I would’ve liked was the “I’m Not Afraid” (12″ Extended Version).

Well pleased though :-)

5. Paul Sinclair says:

“Everything’s Coming Up Roses” WILL be included. It turns out someone had made an error with the track listing we were supplied with! Sorry for the confusion!

6. Mike says:

I so hope that mix of roses is the insane hi-nrg mix that i thought was a fan mix, one of the best 12″s ever!

7. matt says:

Thanks for clearing that up. I was sure that had to be a mistake, it would have made no sense to leave it off.

8. Kerry says:

Black is out on tour again in the UK in April 2013. Check the website or facebook for all the dates: http://www.colinvearncombe.com

9. Anfunny says:

I can’t find this anywhere. What label is it on? It’s supposed to be out in 12 days…

10. Dan Gisbourne says:

It looks like the four Janice Long session tracks have been removed from Disc 2, what a shame!! I would’ve liked to have heard them. They should’ve included “I’m Not Afraid” 12″ mix as well there’s room on the Disc.

11. Eric says:

I wish this were available for download in the USA. All of the sellers for the mp3 albums block US customers. Sigh.