Blancmange / The Blanc Tapes: limited edition 9CD box set with signed print

500 copies only, complete with signed print

The Blanc Tapes is a new Blancmange nine-CD box set that contains expanded three-disc editions of the albums Happy Families, Mange Tout and Believe You Me – all of which contain previously unreleased demos, remixes and BBC sessions.

The expanded version of 1982’s Happy Families within this box, contains 12-inch mixes and a non-album B-side, as well as nine previously unreleased demos and rehearsals from Neil Arthur’s own collection. The third disc for this album contains two previously unreleased BBC Radio 1 sessions (featuring two otherwise unrecorded songs) and a BBC live concert.

Mange Tout (from 1984) features the hits Don’t Tell Me and their version of ABBA‘s The Day Before You Came, which was a bigger hit than the original! Again, here we have 12-inch mixes, B-sides,  five previously unreleased demos and rehearsals from Neil Arthur’s own collection (featuring two otherwise unrecorded songs) and more BBC sessions and live concerts.

Believe You Me was issued in 1985 and produced by Stewart Levine and follows the pattern of the other expanded versions with remixes, demos and BBC sessions and live concert audio.

This special Blanc Tapes package, places each three-CD media book editions (also available separately) in an outer rigid slipcase. Each of these editions features notes by Neil Arthur, plus photos and lyrics.

The Amazon Exclusive Edition (UK only) offers a print signed by Neil Arthur and Stephen Luscombe. There are only 500 of these available – once sold out, that’s it.

To be clear, there is no non-signed box, but you can buy the three media book expanded sets separately, if you wish. However, as things stand there is no price advantage for doing so, so there’s no logic in *not* getting a them with the outer ‘Blanc Tapes’ slipcase and signed print!

The Blanc Tapes will be issued on 4 August 2017

Update: Blanc Tapes outer box/signed print now SOLD OUT! Individual 3CD ‘media book’ packages available to pre-order.

0740155720131

16. Feel Me

Believe You Me

CD 7

1. Lose Your Love
2. What’s Your Problem?
3. Paradise Is
4. Why Don’t They Leave Things Alone?
5. 22339
6. Don’t You Love It All
7. Believe
8. Lorraine’s My Nurse
9. Other Animals
10. No Wonder They Never Made It Back!
11. John
12. Lose Your Love [7″ single version]
13. I Can See It [extended]
14. Lose Your Love (This Club Mix)
15. Mixing On The Ceiling [Megamix]

4. Paradise Is

IN CONCERT, HAMMERSMITH ODEON [8.2.86]

5. Don’t Tell Me
6. What’s Your Problem
7. That’s Love That It Is
8. Don’t You Love It All
9. Why Don’t They Leave Things Alone?
10. God’s Kitchen
11. Lose Your Love
12. Paradise Is
13. Other Animals
14. Game Above My Head
15. Living On The Ceiling
16. I’ve Seen The Word
17. Kind
18. Blind Vision

102 responses to Blancmange / The Blanc Tapes: limited edition 9CD box set with signed print

1. Gary C says:

Brilliant, ordered this, cancelled everything else…

2. Jan V says:

Ordered. Thanks for the info, Paul.

3. Phil G. says:

Cheers for the heads-up, Paul.

Just when I think 2017 can’t have any more desirable box sets…in comes The Blanc Tapes. My credit card is really getting a battering this year!

4. Stevo says:

Got mine ordered, wow!

5. Simon says:

This appears to be a thing of rare beauty. Ordered.

6. José Ramón says:

Ordered ;)

7. Wayne C says:

Ordered! Thanks for this info – can’t wait!

8. Paul Chapman says:

great stuff !

any details whether the first two albums are getting a fresh remaster?

Thought the previous sets were somewhat sonically lacking…

9. Chris Squires says:

Orderrrrrred. Love me a bit of Blancmange….. Thanks Paul….

10. Peter says:

Thanks Paul. Love Blancmange now just got to wait till August.

11. Steve Bliss says:

Ordered! Thanks, Paul (is there an echo in here?)

Crazy that they’re doing a limited SDE for no increase in price. But I’ll take it. I don’t have any Blancmange on CD, just my old LPs. This is a great way to upgrade!

12. Ken says:

I’ve always thought the “Mixing On The Ceiling [Megamix]” was a bit misleading. I was expecting a megamix of all the songs on the album, not a bad remix of “living on the ceiling” which is not even originally on this album in the first place. odd choice for an extra track for this album in my opinion.

13. David says:

Thanks Paul I just ordered,my wife will probably kill for ordering it.

14. MikeW says:

..unless they have actually found Alan Coulthard’s megamix at long last!

Also, I’ve never been sure if the Extended 12 Version of “Feel Me” and the John Luongo Remix (as per the US 12″) are different? If they are it looks like the Luongo mix is missing, as that was listed on their Music Club Deluxe 2cd compilation a while back.

Happy Families is the album for me, so will wait and see how the price changes later!

15. RobC says:

Wow! Very nice – curios as to why Your Time Is Over wasn’t added to Believe You Me? It’s appeared on several of their hits collections and would have fit nicely on Disc 1 or 2? Otherwise plan on buying!

16. Scott says:

I’d be curious to know if this has been remastered and from what sources. Some of the previous sets included MP3 transfers from the masters or vinyl rips of 12″ mixes.

17. Auntie Sabrina says:

Sorry to play Devils advocate, but wasn’t the previous Edsel deluxe release of Mange Tout edited compared to the original LP?

18. DJ says:

Is the horrible “Amazon exclusive” going to be part of the actual cover or just a sticker?

19. Ian Murphy says:

Great looking set and ordered straight away. Taped the 1986 In Concert off the radio and played it for years – great to see it available. Thank for the update Paul

20. Richard Starkey says:

Wow, these guys are wild….Never heard of ’em before, but I like ’em…! Takes me back to the sounds of the good old 80’s..!

21. Gareth Pugh says:

Looks lovely – and as one who has bought the previous generation of expanded reissues on Edsel there is still loads of new content in here I haven’t already got. I’ll be interested to see which version of ‘Heaven Knows Where Heaven Is’ surfaces on the Mange Tout set – although the same length, the 7″ and 12″ carries slightly different versions, one being purely instrumental, the other featuring some strange spoken overdubs (‘what a beautiful day!’) which sounded like they were spoken by Neil inhaling in a helium balloon!

22. Rob Kirby says:

Ordered. Any idea if the albums ARE the albums as originally released, this time? Last time around, Edsel swapped out LP versions for single versions. Just curious :)

23. Graeme Black says:

Superb,ordered &cheers for the info Paul.

24. Benoit says:

almost everything. 2 US remixes (published after in the UK missing). Impressive

25. Jon C says:

Ooh, sweet! And I’ll be in London when it comes out, so maybe I’ll swing by Sister Ray and pick it up if they have it. :)

26. Matthijs says:

ordered!

27. Ern says:

Ordered, thank you Paul for the info.

28. Wax Monster X says:

Done and done. Can’t wait.

29. Michael G says:

Ordered thanks for your help!

30. Dorian says:

Ordered! I was just finishing the process of collecting everything left off the 2008 Edsel remasters. Doh! I’m still happy though. ‘Tis a shame it doesn’t include the Irene & Mavis EP, “Living On The Ceiling” (Flexidisc demo), and the track “Ecstacy and Electricity” from the rare cassette: Electronic Soundmaker & Computer Music – June 1985 ‎(Cass, Comp). Of course they couldn’t satisfy everyone though. :)

31. VanceMan says:

Thanks for highlighting this one. My order has been placed.

32. Philip Cohen says:

I ordered too. Too bad that there isn’t any video material included. I never understood why the group’s original recording career ended so quickly, and while they were still successful.

33. Daniel ( from Berlin ) says:

great collection !!!
    but i have the following 12” remixes of “mange tout” in my archives
    and i think some of them are sadly missing:

the day before you came ( 12” extended remix ) – 7:59
    the day before you came ( 7” remix ) – 4:25
    game above my head ( u.k. 12” ext version ) – 7:14 ( 1st verse begins at 2:13 )
    game above my head ( u.s.12” extended remix ) – 7:13 ( 1st verse begins at 0:54 )
    blind vision ( 7” single mix ) – 3:59
    blind vision ( 12” long version ) – 9:39
    blind vision ( promo u.s.12” instrumental dub mix ) – 6:47
    that’s love that it is (u.k. 12” new dance mix ) – 6:56 ( 1st verse begins at 1:23 )
    that’s love that it is (u.s. 12” new dance mix ) – 7:34 ( 1st verse begins at 1:34 )
    that’s love that it is ( 12” extended version ) – 6:35
    don’t tell me ( 12” extended mix / dub ) – 6:25
    don’t tell me ( u.s.12” dance remix ) – 6:51
    vishnu ( 12” full length version ) – 5:20
    vishnu ( u.k. 12” instrumental version ) – 4:53
    feel me ( 12” live version ’84 )
    your time is over ( outtake ) – 5:44

34. JuzzyB says:

Would have been nice to have stuck Irene & Mavis in.
    There’s always one, isn’t there?

35. baward says:

I always loved the Coronation Street theme trumpet sample quote, as well as the real trumpet solo on The Day Before You Came.

36. Trash says:

Aces!
    I didn’t even look at the pictures before ordering (just clicked on the link in the email alert that I received while I was out and about).
    Having got home and looked at the images you have on the sight it looks even better. I particularly glad it focusses purely on their first three (and best) albums. I think with Blancmange each release has been slightly less good than the previous one.

Thank you for the alert Paul – very much appreciated!

37. Trash says:

P.S. I was at the Hammersmith Odeon Concert – it was a blinder!

Nice! A friend of mine used to play football with Neil Arthur in South London, back in the 1990s…

38. Kauwgompie says:

I think I just spit out my coffee. Will definitely buy this!!!

39. Kauwgompie says:

$77 for everything including shipping to NYC. What a bargain!! Thanks Paul!!!
    I have the Edsel re-issues, maybe time to sell them now.

40. Philippe says:

Beautiful ! I wish the 3 Visage albums could be reissued this way…

• Trash says:

Now you are talking – I still cant quite understand why the first two Visage albums (which sold pretty well at the time) have been so neglected. I like their third too but I dont think sold anything like the first two (not that that means much).

• Daniel ( from Berlin ) says:

yes this would be the BEST things for me.
      polydor held back the originals 12”ers and the new VISAGE box set comes without
      all original 12” mixes.
      thats why i hope they plan own deluxe editions from the 3 first albums.
      i HOPE !

41. John Moore says:

Yes lovely set and despite there being an abundance of great releases over the last couple of months this had to be ordered- thanks for the info! A true must!

42. Michael says:

That’s how deluxe reissue albums should look. I’m sure everyone wishes Purple Rain looked like these. Mange Tout looks especially striking. Loved that album.

43. Martyn Alner says:

“Running thin” missing still?

44. Bulldog says:

Wow, that went fast. I swear, I check this website for new content SO often, after missing out on things, and it’s always like “Urgh! No new news!” Then I take a nap and everything has already happened…

45. Steven Roberts says:

A bit surprised that the signed edition sold out quite so quickly – I didn’t think there’d be that many Blancmange fans out there frankly thirty years on…

Or do you suppose some of that is down to speculators looking to flip them on eBay?

• richard says:

doubt it Steven Roberts, in the USA there are tons of devoted fans including me who are buying for keeps.

46. Derek Langsford says:

Well that just makes my day. I got rear-ended on my way to work this morning, broke a glass when I got home, and now find I missed out on the signed boxed set of one of my favorite bands of the 80s.

Waaaah!

47. Daniel says:

Ordered when I first saw the email, and it was only 60UKP after VAT was removed WITH shipping to the US!! I’m most interested in the BBC/live material. Looks great!!

48. Neil McL says:

No sold out glad got one in time thanks Paul

49. Nick Preece says:

Sold Out!

50. Steven Roberts says:

Aren’t Edsel owned by the BBC? That would explain all the BBC session/live tracks (which are very welcome) in these deluxe packages….

51. Straker says:

500 seems a ludicrously small amount to press up. Struggling to see what that accomplishes other than to annoy Blancmange fans #501 and on.

Is the aim to supply the eBay flippers with stock that somehow makes the individual releases sell better because they look cheap by comparison? Don’t understand the thinking here.

It’s the outer box and the signed print that are limited to 500. The three expanded ‘media book’ reissues that sit within the outer slipcase, are widely available.

• Straker says:

Yes, I got that but the hard-core fan is always going to want the Ltd/Special/Deluxe editions of “whatever” and there are more than 500 Blancmange obsessives. It just seems with this that it’s been artificially restricted to a smaller amount than makes much sense. The economies of scale alone mean it would be more cost-effective for them to do at least 1000 without any real risk of oversupply. Fair enough if Amazon only asked them to do 500 but if that’s the case it’s one of the smallest runs of any Amazon Exclusive I’ve ever seen. The Dead or Alive set for instance was 1000 copies and retailed for twice the price of this Blancmange set.

• Rudi says:

I was more annoyed to see, that this was a UK-offer only.

Anyone could buy it!

• Chris Squires says:

Also….. as it was signed, it would kinda be up to the artist how many they would sign. Never having been asked to do more than one signature at a time on a cheque I have no idea how onerous signing 1000 copies of something would be. But I guess it would begin to grate after a short while.

The other thing to think about is the bubble we live in makes us think there are more of us “obsessives” than there really are. My favourite artist struggled to sell more than a couple of hundred copies of his last set of re-issues, which were brilliant, and I thought there were 1000s of us “obsessives” turns out there’s only dozens of us but we made a lot of noise in our bubble.

Admittedly 500 does now seem low in hindsight, but that’s the flip-side of doing 1,000 or 2,000 with the associated wrist ache and having 80% still sat on shelves in a year’s time if you mis-judge your estimates.

Finally there is no musical difference, so it’s a “nice to have”, rather than having three tracks unique on the limited edition that aren’t on the individual sets…. now that WOULD be annoying.

52. Adris says:

I hope “Don’t Tell Me (Extended)” is the correct Extended Mix with both 1st AND 2nd verse,

All the Extended Versions on other compilations are the version which misses the 1st verse and starts later wird the 2nd verse.

53. MikeW says:

Some might also like to know that in around 2 weeks Neil’s collaboration with Benge (John Foxx & The Maths, Wrangler…) is released, as the new partnership Fader. The sample tune available is quite harsh electronica, so more for the cold-noise Foxx fans I suspect, but definitely Neil! A nice stop-gap until early August…..

54. Auntie Sabrina says:

Adris, it’s an Edsel release so maybe many of the tracks were on the previous Edsel releases…

55. Neil says:

I would be very wary about buying these as the sound quality on those 2008 remasters wasn’t that good unless they have remastered these again. Another thing to look out for is tracks being sourced from mp3s which was littered with them on The Very Best Of compilation from 2012 which was released by Edsel.

56. 2wicky says:

My favourite Blancmange track has always been Game Above My Head (Long version) – the B-side of the UK/European 12” of Waves. I had bought the Edsel 2cd release which claims to feature this track, however they used the US-Remix instead which I think is an inferior mix that doesn’t build up as well as the original UK long version.

The UK version can only be found on the canadian pressing of the ‘Mange tout’ compilation so far.

My guess is that once again on this new set the US version will be featured if it’s true that this release is managed by Edsel – another missed opportunity to finally feature both US and UK versions.

57. Adris says:

Don’t Tell Me (Extended)” with both 1st AND 2nd verse only can be found on 12” ???
    Or does anybody know if it is available on cd anyhere?

58. David McCallum says:

I’m excited for these but…

I don’t understand the compiler’s mind sometimes. I don’t mind dipping again if things grow, expand, and get better and better. For some reason, one or two tracks from Edsel’s 2008 EDSS 1026 and EDSD 2023 are kept off these longer 3CD sets. Frustrating and weird.

59. Francis says:

I notice the track “Elected (Live)” is missing even though it was on the lesser expanded reissues that Edsel released a few years back.

60. Auntie Sabrina says:

Is the version of Don’t Tell Me? with the 2 verses called the Don’t Tell Me? Remix..?

61. Jon says:

Anyone know which Day Before You Came will be on the first disc? (The version on the original LP and Euro CD is not the one on the fairly recent two-disc set. )

62. Auntie Sabrina says:

Jon, that version on the last Edsel CD was the 7″ edit. The original LP version is around 6 minutes. No timings yet, maybe someone from Edsel will read this and let us know.

63. William_M says:

It’ll be an absolute top seller on eBay, a good few people are going to make a hefty profit #Scalped

64. Auntie Sabrina says:

Well William_M if there’s any fault with the discs, wrong tracks etc or the items damaged those eBay sellers would have to replace/refund the discs/money paid.

65. negative1 says:

I’m a huge fan. and i missed out on the deal. will get the separate ones.

but if one shows up on ebay, will get that eventually too.

as pointed out, there are missing tracks. but all the exclusive
    stuff makes up for it.

there are remasters of irene and mavis, so if you want those, you can get that.
    honestly those tracks aren’t that great, so you’re not missing out.

nice to see these albums getting the expanded deluxe treatment after
    the ok remasters that are out already.

good times for blancmange fans.

later

66. Eric says:

So grateful to have received SDE notification of this boxset. I would have been truly devastated to have missed out on this one! Thanks a million Paul!

67. Glenn R. Kennedy II says:

I love Blancmange but only 500 made and rapidly sold out already…. seriously? And by the time I found out about it, they were all gone! I definitely wanted that 9 CD box, but there is no way I am going to shell out for the individual releases, there is no fun in that for me. I guess I am going to have to try like hell and pay a fortune for it from someone on EBAY. Paul you definitely need to speak to Neil & Stephen and pick their brain as to why such a low number when there are obviously a lot more fans than just 500 and all around the world.

68. Adris says:

@Auntie Sabrina

No, it’s not the Remix,

it’s this release:

Side A: Extended with verse 1 and verse 2 Time: 6:31
    Side B: Extended with verse 2 Time 6:31

All Blancmange-compilation-CDs contain the version on Side B

I hope maybe the new boxset contains the mix on Side A.

Don’t Tell Me (Remix) is the Dance Remix, on CD it can be found here:
    or

69. Auntie Sabrina says:

Adris, thanks for the info. We wait with baited breath for the track times to hopefully clarify things…

70. Paul Chapman says:

any news on the mastering as yet?

71. negative1 says:

It says edsel on the pictures, so i expect them to be the same remasters.

later

72. mr fuzz says:

Paul – I reiterate the point made by Glenn above ,, I received an email notification from the Blancmange site re the release of this project , that was yesterday .. The boxset had long gone by that stage . I too am not prepared to purchase individual sets . Would be good if you had any input with Neil & Stephen as to consideration given to making further boxsets available . Even if further issues came without signed cards , as was done with further Sophisticated Boom Box CD Boxsets . Perhaps the right person at Amazon could reassess this , given the rapidity of the set having sold out .

73. Knockers22 says:

I ordered this I was pretty sure order went through but now no sign of me having ordered it at all now just wondering if anyone else have same thing happen

74. Thorsten says:

Knockers22 you find this under: The Blanc Tapes – not under Blancmange, and it said i have ordered it on… and yes it is in my account.

• Knockers2 says:

Cheers Thorston I checked the blanc tapes just now and all it says is currently unavailable I wonder should I contact Amazon to complain that I ordered this but now it’s vanished from my account or maybe I should have taken screen shot phot to have proof that I ordered, this is unfortunate. I’ll be much more vigilant when ordering exclusive editions like this in future.

It’s a bit strange that you didn’t get an email and it’s not in your recent orders. Definitely get in touch and see what they say…

75. Auntie Sabrina says:

Maybe it’s better to contact Edsel regarding the 9 dusc boxset edition selling out! I’m sure if it was pointed out to them that it sold out pretty quickly, they might produce some more…

I spoke to Edsel. It’s a Blancmange management decision, I think. 500 is it. There won’t be any more.

76. Auntie Sabrina says:

There’ll be some on ebay no doubt though.

Thanks very much…

77. Philip says:

What happens if someone cancels their order?? Does it go live again on Amazon straight after?

• Michael G says:

If someone cancels it should go live again,just click on the listing and type your email in contact me when this item is available again box.
      Amazon will send you a email if it suddenly appears again.
      Good Luck

78. Sam says:

Rats! I missed the 500 but you can bet I’ll buy the separate packages! Lots of great material here I’ve never had or just have 2nd -rate copies. One of my favorite unsung bands of the 80s. :)

79. Auntie Sabrina says:

Maybe wait for the reviews then Sam, this is a Demon Music Group release. Maybe it uses the previous masters for some of the tracks released on the previous Edsel and Music Club Deluxe CDs which some were not happy with.

They are very nicely presented releases so hopefully everything’s OK with them.

80. Philip says:

Okay folks. If you missed out I have come to the conclusion that I can live without this. Rather than but it and sell for a profit on EBay, I shall cancel my order at 11 am UK time tomorrow.

If you’re signed, I’m surre Amazon will send you the email that one is available, unless they’re arsing us around and have sold more than they have in the hopes that folk’ll cancel………………

81. Pingback:Demon serve up second helpings of Blancmange with more Blanc Tapes | superdeluxeedition