Bob Dylan / Trouble No More: The Bootleg Series Vol. 13 – 1979-1981

Columbia Records/Legacy Recordings will release in November, Trouble No More, the 13th volume of Bob Dylan‘s celebrated ‘Bootleg Series’, as a nine-disc deluxe edition, featuring a wealth of unreleased material.

This set showcases the music Bob Dylan wrote and performed during the end of the 1970s and the beginning of the 1980s, when he released three albums (his so-called ‘Christian Trilogy’) – Slow Train Coming (1979), Saved (1980) and Shot of Love (1981) – that contained songs of praise, worship and devotion. This new deluxe set features 100 Previously Unreleased Live and Studio Recordings, including 14 Unreleased Songs.

The deluxe box set includes a hardcover book featuring an introduction by Ben Rollins with notes by Amanda Petrusich, Rob Bowman and Penn Jillette.

Six of the CDs contain live performances, with a further two offering rare and unreleased studio takes and rehearsals. The ninth disc is a DVD which includes Trouble No More: A Musical Film, a new feature-length cinematic presentation combining unreleased footage from Dylan’s 1980 tours with new material written by Luc Sante and performed by Academy Award nominee Michael Shannon. This is set to premiere at the 2017 New York Film Festival. Full track listings are below.

This set will also be available as a 2CD and 4LP vinyl set. Both of these feature the first two discs from the deluxe box. Note: If you purchase the super deluxe from the Bob Dylan store limited quantities come with a bonus two-CD set of the full live show from San Diego, 1979.

Trouble No More: The Bootleg Series Vol. 13 / 1979-1981 will be released on 3 November 2017. I’m sure the Amazon UK price, at the time of writing, will drop!

Bob Dylan

Trouble No More - 8CD+DVD deluxe edition

HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 149.99

Bob Dylan

Trouble No More - 4LP vinyl box

HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 82.99

Bob Dylan

Trouble No More - 2CD Edition

HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 17.99

Trouble No More / 8CD+DVD deluxe edition

Disc 1: Live
1. Slow Train (Nov. 16, 1979)
2. Gotta Serve Somebody (Nov. 15, 1979)
3. I Believe in You (May 16, 1980)
4. When You Gonna Wake Up? (July 9, 1981)
5. When He Returns (Dec. 5, 1979)
6. Man Gave Names to All the Animals (Jan. 16, 1980)
7. Precious Angel (Nov. 16, 1979)
8. Covenant Woman (Nov. 20, 1979)
9. Gonna Change My Way of Thinking (Jan. 31, 1980)
10. Do Right to Me Baby (Do Unto Others) (Jan. 28, 1980)
11. Solid Rock (Nov. 27, 1979)
12. What Can I Do for You? (Nov. 27, 1979)
13. Saved (Jan. 12, 1980)
14. In the Garden (Jan. 27, 1980)

Disc 2: Live
1. Slow Train (June 29, 1981)
2. Ain’t Gonna Go to Hell for Anybody (Unreleased song – Apr. 24, 1980)
3. Gotta Serve Somebody (July 15, 1981)
4. Ain’t No Man Righteous, No Not One (Unreleased song – Nov. 16, 1979)
5. Saving Grace (Nov. 6, 1979)
6. Blessed Is the Name (Unreleased song – Nov. 20, 1979)
7. Solid Rock (Oct. 23, 1981)
8. Are You Ready? (Apr. 30, 1980)
9. Pressing On (Nov. 6, 1979)
10. Shot of Love (July 25, 1981)
11. Dead Man, Dead Man (June 21, 1981)
12. Watered-Down Love (June 12, 1981)
13. In the Summertime (Oct. 21, 1981)
14. The Groom’s Still Waiting at the Altar (Nov. 13, 1980)
15. Caribbean Wind (Nov. 12, 1980)
16. Every Grain of Sand (Nov. 21, 1981)

Disc 3: Rare and Unreleased
1. Slow Train (Soundcheck – Oct. 5, 1978)
2. Do Right to Me Baby (Do Unto Others) (Soundcheck – Dec. 7, 1978)
3. Help Me Understand (Unreleased song – Oct. 5, 1978)
4. Gonna Change My Way of Thinking (Rehearsal – Oct. 2, 1979)
5. Gotta Serve Somebody (Outtake – May 4, 1979)
6. When He Returns (Outtake – May 4, 1979)
7. Ain’t No Man Righteous, No Not One (Unreleased song – May 1, 1979)
8. Trouble in Mind (Outtake – April 30, 1979)
9. Ye Shall Be Changed (Outtake – May 2, 1979)
10. Covenant Woman (Outtake –February 11, 1980)
11. Stand by Faith (Unreleased song – Sept. 26, 1979)
12. I Will Love Him (Unreleased song – Apr. 19, 1980)
13. Jesus Is the One (Unreleased song – Jul. 17, 1981)
14. City of Gold (Unreleased song – Nov. 22, 1980)
15. Thief on the Cross (Unreleased song – Nov. 10, 1981)
16. Pressing On (Outtake – Feb. 13, 1980)

Disc 4: Rare and Unreleased
1. Slow Train (Rehearsal – Oct. 2, 1979)
2. Gotta Serve Somebody (Rehearsal – Oct. 9, 1979)
3. Making a Liar Out of Me (Unreleased song – Sept. 26, 1980)
4. Yonder Comes Sin (Unreleased song – Oct. 1, 1980)
5. Radio Spot January 1980, Portland, OR show
6. Cover Down, Pray Through (Unreleased song – May 1, 1980)
7. Rise Again (Unreleased song – Oct. 16, 1980)
8. Ain’t Gonna Go to Hell for Anybody (Unreleased song – Dec. 2, 1980)
9. The Groom’s Still Waiting at the Altar (Outtake – May 1, 1981)
10. Caribbean Wind (Rehearsal – Sept. 23, 1980)
11. You Changed My Life (Outtake – April 23, 1981)
12. Shot of Love (Outtake – March 25, 1981)
13. Watered-Down Love (Outtake – May 15, 1981)
14. Dead Man, Dead Man (Outtake – April 24, 1981)
15. Every Grain of Sand (Rehearsal – Sept. 26, 1980)

Disc 5 – Live in Toronto 1980
1. Gotta Serve Somebody (April 18, 1980)
2. I Believe In You (April 18, 1980)
3. Covenant Woman (April 19, 1980)
4. When You Gonna Wake Up? (April 18, 1980)
5. When He Returns (April 20, 1980)
6. Ain’t Gonna Go To Hell For Anybody (Unreleased song – April 18, 1980)
7. Cover Down, Pray Through (Unreleased song – April 19, 1980)
8. Man Gave Names To All The Animals (April 19, 1980)
9. Precious Angel (April 19, 1980)

Disc 6 – Live in Toronto 1980
1. Slow Train (April 18, 1980)
2. Do Right To Me Baby (Do Unto Others) (April 20, 1980)
3. Solid Rock (April 20, 1980)
4. Saving Grace (April 18, 1980)
5. What Can I Do For You? (April 19, 1980)
6. In The Garden (April 20, 1980)
7. Band Introductions (April 19, 1980)
8. Are You Ready? (April 19, 1980)
9. Pressing On (April 18, 1980)

Disc 7 – Live in Earl’s Court, London – June 27, 1981

14. Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door

Disc 9: Bonus DVD
Trouble No More – A Musical Film

DVD EXTRAS:
Shot of Love
Cover Down, Pray Through
Jesus Met the Woman at the Well (Alternate version)
Ain’t Gonna Go to Hell for Anybody (Complete version)
Precious Angel (Complete version)
Slow Train (Complete version)

Trouble No More / 4LP or 2CD edition

Disc 1: Live
1. Slow Train (Nov. 16, 1979)
2. Gotta Serve Somebody (Nov. 15, 1979)
3. I Believe in You (May 16, 1980)
4. When You Gonna Wake Up? (July 9, 1981)
5. When He Returns (Dec. 5, 1979)
6. Man Gave Names to All the Animals (Jan. 16, 1980)
7. Precious Angel (Nov. 16, 1979)
8. Covenant Woman (Nov. 20, 1979)
9. Gonna Change My Way of Thinking (Jan. 31, 1980)
10. Do Right to Me Baby (Do Unto Others) (Jan. 28, 1980)
11. Solid Rock (Nov. 27, 1979)
12. What Can I Do for You? (Nov. 27, 1979)
13. Saved (Jan. 12, 1980)
14. In the Garden (Jan. 27, 1980)

Disc 2: Live
1. Slow Train (June 29, 1981)
2. Ain’t Gonna Go to Hell for Anybody (Unreleased song – Apr. 24, 1980)
3. Gotta Serve Somebody (July 15, 1981)
4. Ain’t No Man Righteous, No Not One (Unreleased song – Nov. 16, 1979)
5. Saving Grace (Nov. 6, 1979)
6. Blessed Is the Name (Unreleased song – Nov. 20, 1979)
7. Solid Rock (Oct. 23, 1981)
8. Are You Ready? (Apr. 30, 1980)
9. Pressing On (Nov. 6, 1979)
10. Shot of Love (July 25, 1981)
11. Dead Man, Dead Man (June 21, 1981)
12. Watered-Down Love (June 12, 1981)
13. In the Summertime (Oct. 21, 1981)
14. The Groom’s Still Waiting at the Altar (Nov. 13, 1980)
15. Caribbean Wind (Nov. 12, 1980)
16. Every Grain of Sand (Nov. 21, 1981)

112 responses to Bob Dylan / Trouble No More: The Bootleg Series Vol. 13 – 1979-1981

1. L says:

Ordered from official website, still waiting….. and no tracking info. Anyone in UK got their’s yet?

• Dave says:

Yes. Late and damaged. No tracking information, all sorts of shipping issues with DHL/UK Mail and then when I had to collect it late having finally tracked it down it was very badly and inadequately packed and damaged. I hope you have a better experience than I.

2. AlistairM says:

Hi Paul,

first time post, so I thought I’d try to make it informative because I know there has been a lot of curiosity and frustration about the content of the limited double CD available from Bob Dylan dot com.
    I got carried away and ordered it on the basis that if I was going to buy the deluxe edition, I might later regret not getting the full package (as has happened with previous releases).
    The track listing and some notes are:
    CD1 –
    Gotta Serve Somebody
    I Believe In You
    When You Gonna Wake Up?
    When He Returns
    Man Gave Names To All The Animals
    Precious Angel
    Slow Train
    Covenant Woman

CD2 –
    Gonna Change My Way of Thinking
    Do Right To Me Baby (Do Unto Others)
    Solid Rock
    Saving Grace
    Saved
    What Can I Do For You?
    In The Garden *
    Band Introduction *
    Blessed Be Thy Name
    Pressing On
    In The Garden (Incomplete)

Recorded live November 28 1979 (Except where stated noted – * Novemeber 27 1979).
    Live in San Diego originates from a cassette soundboard recording. Unfortunately, there is a gap during the crescendo of In The Garden from 28 November 1979.
    In order to keep the concert listening experience intact, we’ve a version of In The Garden from the previous night. We’ve also added the incomplete performance as a bonus track at the end of the disc.

As an aside, it all sounds very good to me as it is playing now, a lot better than some unofficial releases I’ve acquired.
    I’m not familiar with this period of Dylan, but the quality of this concert suggests that I’ll really enjoy working through the deluxe package and not regret my purchase.

Thanks for a superb and informative resource.
    Hope this of interest to other readers as their posts usually are to me.

regards, Alistair

Thanks Alistair for posting this info. I’m sure it will be of interest to many here…

• The Ragman says:

Live in San Diego does sound nice, but the whole thing is in MONO despite the cover having STEREO printed across the top – the same way that STEREO is printed across the top of the deluxe box set but ALL the live tracks from 1979 are MONO as are all the 1980 live tracks prior to the Toronto set. The live version of Slow Train from 1981 on CD2 is an edit of a MONO and STEREO mix – surely they had a complete take of the song from some of the summer 1981 without needing to choose a mono to stereo edit mid-song on the ‘best of 1979-81 live shows’ discs!

3. John Baule says:

Did anyone get the deluxe box set yet. Does it come with a h-res download card. Thx

4. Kev Steer says:

Hi Paul

SDE currently advertise the Dylan box set cd box at £99.70 has it been advertised on AmazonUK at that price if so Amazon UK should honour their pre order guarantee could you clarify?

5. Smeery says:

Did the Dyl box set go down to £99.70p on Amazon UK as shown in your advertisement if so they should honour that price if you’ve pre-ordered on their site?

No it didn’t. It’s an error with Amazon’s system, which is affecting the widgets. I can’t do much about it, but they are aware and hopefully are sorting. Sorry.

6. Josh says:

That cheesy cover is perhaps (?) a joke that most don’t seem to get (or an hommage to bootlegs and that period). Not just judging by the many responses here, Dylan’s Christian phase is certainly ripe for a revisit (hopefully without dragging/hijacking it into/for current political events).
    I have to say as a non-Dylan fan, that linked live track is the best Dylan live in the 70’s I’ve ever heard. If it’s anything to go by, there must be some amazing music on this.

7. Frenchyeric says:

Hi Paul
    Saw the documentary in a parisian movie as a private happening
    About one hour in total
    Great playing and great acting from MS
    His band was kicking asses
    Do not know if it will be possible to watch only the live stuff on dvd by selecting an option
    Never bought the studio albums concerned but will definitely buy the super deluxe edition

8. John Baule says:

A couple of questions/thoughts.
    1. This set is on sale for $129 on Amazon now. It is $175 on BobDylan.com plus shipping of $15. So difference of $61 for the two bonus cd’s of San Diego concert. Does anybody know anything about this concert -doubt it is worth paying that much, but completist in me will be bothered.
    2. Is Sony going to provide a hi-res download of this like they did with the cutting edge deluxe box. I have the Slow Train Coming album in 192/24 and it sounds amazing.

Thanks

9. John Sandell says:

I have the 3rd disc of vol. 8 and 10 and I’ve preordered vol. 13. Why? Because I don’t wanna have to wait to hear stuff! And in the long run all of this limited stuff will just cost you more ;)

10. Paul, your deal alert box on the side for this set is broken, currently claiming it’s available for zero pounds on amazon and clicking either loads a blank page or just reloads this one.

Re the set cover, first reaction was: ‘god, that’s hideous’ but do like the typography they’ve used for the album title, less keen on the mismatch for Bob Dylan. There’s something kinda disturbing about that pic of Bob & the whole the design really does make it look like a old budget/cash-in release or (real) boot. (surprised there’s no comments now being grateful for the non-art of Triplicate?)

11. DavidDR says:

I don’t understand Dylan fans’ lame complaints about Cutting Edge and the multiple “Like a Rolling Stone” takes. Good lord, that’s the great stuff. Hearing the progress, the foul ups, the humor. It’s a goldmine. Or take “Highway 51”, where you hear Dylan first sing “And a NUMBER of telephones that don’t ring” to “And 100 telephones that don’t ring” to the final “And a thousand telephones that don’t ring.” It’s stunning that he lets his audience in the door that far. You hear him hacking away with a cold, sculpting and paring down lyrics and changing ” Like a Rolling Stone” considerably. Real Dylan fans love it. Stop whining. To quote Bob: “You give something up for everything you gain …/ Pay for your ticket and don’t complain.”

12. David says:

Price for the deluxe just dropped to £121.26.

13. Mister Stick says:

More people seem to be enthusiastic about this than I would have expected. But I’m kind of appalled at the asking price. Even with 10 CDs (the bobdylan.com version) and a DVD (with a creative concept that I suspect will become tedious), 175 USD is too much. Well, it’s not the money, it’s the value for it. I could see a hundred-ten, hundred and twenty-five for that exclusive version, not more. The site doesn’t even state the setlist for the San Diego ’79 show they are tossing in.

The Bootleg Series seems to have a mission of drawing attention to lesser-appreciated parts of The Bard’s career, ignoring the more desirable artifacts. People were screaming for the Supper Club shows and Blood On The Tracks alternates and out-takes – instead we got a museum made from Self-Portrait. Sure, some cool sidebar songs were there, but… At its core… Greil Marcus was right. I’d like a T-shirt with that on the front.

To me, they’re quenching a Dylan fan’s thirst for single-malt by serving Old Crow. And often pouring it short, too, unless you pony up. Look at the Tell-Tale Signs release: A decent price for the fantastic, mind-blowing 2-disc version. But if you wanted that third disc, the price quadrupled under the argument that some tossed-in replicas of Dylan picture sleeves were worth it. Baloney. What a scam, and an outright invitation for people to take the name “Bootleg Series” literally.

The Gospel Era doesn’t mean as much to me as many who have written here, I’ll admit. Slow Train I’ll go halves on. Saved I ran away from, but recently sort of, kind of got more respect for… but not THAT much. Shot Of Love I dug a lot, with that great title song intro. I remember opening the box for the promo at the station where I worked in 1981, and thinking “Is this a gospel record? If so, how can it have a song about Lenny Bruce?” It’s the least preachy of the trilogy, and the most rockin’, but with the best Gospel song by far (“Every Grain”). But overall, the 1979-1981 period is of less interest to me than almost any other, and I don’t think hearing the Jesus-Loves-Me-But-You-Better-Get-Straight-With-Him-Bub songs in numerous live versions is going to change that. The Earls Court show is an exception, valuable because he had just reverted to including pre-Gospel songs, the band is stompin’, and the arrangements are better than the ’78 tour. This show is bootlegged silly, of course, but I want HQ sound. However, putting this in as the carrot for non-Gospel fans to buy the big version really does not tip the scales against the price, especially since I’ll almost certainly be able to stream the deluxe version on Tidal.

So, I’ll be able to live with myself with the cheapo version, I think. Fills the hole on the shelf between #12 and the sure-to-come #14 (Bob’s Street Legal demos or some other “why THIS?” release). And, leaves me more money for Dream Syndicate Reunion Tour tickets, anyway.

Money-changers! Ye must flee from the House of The Lord and repent before his vengeance is nigh!

As always, grateful to Paul for this site and balcony from which to expurgate.

14. Paul W says:

What can you say its only money you cant take it with you ordered the the deluxe edition delivered to australia 204 dollars from amazon germany

15. Arthur O'Brien says:

Disappointed there is only an outtake of “Trouble in Mind,” the B-Side of “Gotta Serve Somebody” in the states and has never been released on CD. I always though that song had some fire in it. I can only hope the outtake is as good or better!

16. Larry Davis says:

Being an atheist, and a Dylan fan, you will prob not be surprised that I wanted to stay away from this Holy Trinity, thinking I would find it offensive…plus Bob is Jewish, or was born Jewish…so you would find it utterly false. Anyhoo, I acquire the 47CD albums box, and proceeded to listen to every disc in order. Getting to the Holy Trinity, espesh “Saved” with the offensive artwork of the hand coming out of the sky, I was ready to both listen with an open mind, and throw up in my mouth at the same time, LOL..I did know “Gotta Serve Somebody”, which is a good song and can be interpreted as religious or not. Having heard all 3, I must say I liked them and was not offended in the least… Except for that hand artwork… And looking at this set, if you didn’t know the era, nothing seems associated to Christianity… just a section of Dylan’s huge discography…I will get this set when the price drops… No problem the 3 albums are not included…I have them in the big red box…

• Arthur O'Brien says:

Why be offended by the cover? You’re an atheist. No one’s asking you to believe before listening. The songs are passionate and from the heart, which makes them among Bob’s best. It’s just an album cover, dude.

• Larry Davis says:

I can ignore the cover now, but reading about the album’s history, in 1980, MANY people found it quite offensive…so I’m not alone here…at least the music is good…which is what counts most…

• Arthur O'Brien says:

I don’t remember ANYONE being offended. Rock critics flipped out because that’s what they did when anyone mentioned God, Jesus, or any sense of accountability to a higher power or a higher sense of right and wrong in the midst of the hedonism of the late 70s. The original cover was a simple picture of hands reaching up to a single hand reaching down. What exactly is there in a picture like that to be offended by? What is there to “ignore?”

17. Johan says:

JPC.de has the deluxe 8cd/dvd for 131,99 Euro

18. BritinDetroit says:

For me there are/were two big announcements of SDEs for the list for Father Christmas. the Born Again Music looks fab and now I am hoping for the much promised – much delayed Roxy Music One

Go ahead Roxy, surprise me and give us For Your Pleasure as well

19. Vicente Olaso Sendra says:

Ordered yesterday from the Official Store, just to get the extra Cd’s, but still have mixed-up feelings about the purchase. I asume I must be a bit crazy. 28€ for shipping! Been a fan of superdeluxe box sets but I’m starting to believe things are a bit out of control now.

• The Ragman says:

There are only a handful of outtakes from the studio sessions for Slow Train Coming on the 9 disc version. Fred Tackett handled lead guitar for the live shows. I think you are looking at 4 tracks where Knopler is probably on them – Ye Shall Be Changed which has already been released on Bootleg Series 1-3 in 1991, Trouble In Mind was a vinyl only b-side from 1979 which is only now making its CD debut on an official release, it’s possibly unlikely that he plays guitar on “When He Returns” unless the outtake features the full band unlike the master, which leaves only the outtakes of Gotta Serve Somebody and Ain’t No Man Righteous as the only 2 previously unreleased tracks on the 9 discs which will likely feature MK.

20. Daniel says:

Seems a nice set, specially for those who collect Mark Knopfler´s collaborations. If I´m not wrong, Bob saw Dire Straits live in L.A. and wanted him for his record. His guitar tone is very present all the tracks so the outtakes from that period are very interesting for the MK fan if he appears on them.

21. Solid Rick says:

Paul, any word on whether Bob’s rants and speeches will be included?

22. Jayson says:

I’m shocked some folks aren’t excited about this! “Slow Train Coming” is an amazing album that had some very strong outtakes. To each his own I guess..

23. Steve Gilmour says:

The best fucking release of the year.

24. J says:

YEA!!!!

More Bootleg BOB!! It is up on Amazon USA for $175 (ouch) but whatever they are willing to sell I am willing to buy. This series (along with Tull) is the best thing going. Period.
    I assume there will be no marbles but that is a minor quibble.

Thanx for heads up Paul

25. RJS says:

It might be 8 CDs and a DVD but I’n not interested in this unless it drops to £50 or below.

26. phantomengineer says:

At £160.99 from bobdylan.com (including the postage, and the limited, additional double CD), it’s a no brainer, even for the atheist me. Have always loved the ‘Slow Train Coming’ album, and bits of ‘Shot of Love’ are terrific also. I have a lot of these shows on mainly audience sourced bootlegs, and they are terrific also: a great band, playing like in ’66, although not quite to the same degree (and for different reasons obviously), in the face of the maelstrom. Saw Dylan in Dublin in May: a great show, and better than a couple of years previously.

27. Tony says:

I went to Blackbushe in 1978 and saw the best concert of my life. Incredible.
    I took my wife in 1981 to Earls Court and he performed this garbage. The worst concert I have ever seen. A great disappointment.
    Why anyone would want to buy this I do not know.

28. Aaron says:

I’m really not sure what to make of these later bootleg series releases. The earlier 2-3 discs sets were great and I love them all, even up to the 3 disc Tell Tale Signs (although the price for the 3 disc set was crazy). I kinda think they should just keep them to 2-3 discs tops. It’s great that they have all this music available but in a sense I want someone to curate a great set that can be listened to in one sitting. I don’t need to hear every note he recorded during a specific period and have 15 almost identical versions of Like A Rolling Stone. I genuinely don’t know who will listen to the whole thing and certainly not more than once. Just put out a 2 disc set from the gospel years with all the unreleased tracks and a small selection of the live tracks that are different enough from the studio version to make it interesting. Or put out a separate live album with a full concert. Surely they would sell more and give you something you’d want to listen to over and over again. I love this period but doubt I’ll get any of the versions of this unless the price drops significantly.

• Bassel Hassouna says:

Hi Aron,
      I agree with you on some points, although when it comes to Dylan, in my opinion, him more than any artists, I am intrigued in listening to the different versions of his songs. Yes Over 20 tracks of like a rolling stone may be too much but the different versions of Just like a woman that were found on the 6 disc edition of the cutting edge were amazing, to see how it transitions from one version to another to the final product is like being with him in the studio. The same can apply for his live songs (except for the neverending tour which has been almost the same arrangements throughout) the same song differ from one tour to another (whether its better or worse than the original version) and it is really interesting to listen to all of them. I am excited to hear the arrangements on ballad of a thin man during this tour personally!!!

29. David Olstein says:

I’m a little disappointed by the video content. If they want to create a pretentious film that combines edited video performance clips with footage of Michael Shannon, fine. But give us the complete concerts as well. The fact that there are only a handful of video extras means that they either didn’t have a lot of video footage to begin with — which means the rumors were wrong — or that video content remains an afterthought.

30. KB says:

Ahhh i’m tired of waiting for the Blood On The Tracks/New York sessions bootleg official release…Really hope it’s next year! I’m not a fan of the late 70’s early 80’speriod Dylan but the demo’s etc may be interesting….

31. KB says:

Ahhh i’m tired of waiting for the Blood On The Tracks/New York sessions bootleg official release…Really hope it’s next year! i’m not a fan of the late 70’s early 80’speriod Dylan but the demo’s etc may be interesting….at least there is now a DVD finally being release with these sets, really should have done the dvd for the Rolling Thunder Review…hope that does get released again…

32. DaveM says:

2 CD set for me. Looking forward to this since it was first rumoured, as Slow Train Coming is my second favourite Dylan album after Oh Mercy.

33. Jeff Symonds says:

The “When You Gonna Wake Up?” that’s embedded here is pretty damn exciting. I got the first Dylan Greatest Hits LP (the 1969 one) for my 11th birthday in 1979 and then got Slow Train Coming 2nd, as it was his “new” album, which was a really weird way to discover Dylan. The two-disc version looks really thoughtfully constructed, but burying Yonder Comes Sin on Disc Four is just mean-spirited. It’s in the top 5 “why the hell is this track unreleased” list, yes? So why not make it more available? Slightly baffling. Glad to see the series back up and running, though, and if BOTT is the focus of 14, and there are more takes out there that haven’t surfaced, then that will be a special release.

34. Tyr Tudor says:

Ive digged some shin to these albums! I love it.
    A welcome release – on every level. Euphoric at times (get the remasters)

35. Stevie B says:

Why have they put Jeff Lynne on the cover?

36. Stevie B says:

Still too busy working my way through the 36-disc 1966 recordings box to buy this just now. By the way that set is currently on offer for £99 on Amazon UK.

37. Paul Murphy says:

Cover aside [hated that jacket when it appeared on ‘bootleg’ Bootleg records, a la The Live Adventures of Bob and Jerry, let alone now], it seems to only leave space for nit-picking rather than complaints [if you’re going to say you don’t like anything of Bob after 1966, well, why take the time out of your life to type it]. I personally hate it when they break concerts up, either one of the 19th or 20th Toronto concerts would have been fine in its entirety, and what the vocal changes are going to be like on the first two discs bears trepidation, tracks 1-4 covering 3 years and a large drop in Bob’s singing ability. But there’s some very powerful stuff on here, and represents one of Dylan’s last sustained batches of inspired writing. Those of us who saw ‘Yonder Comes Sin’ getting yanked off the FIRST Bootleg Series Box at the last instant will doubtless be looking forward to it as one of the highlights, hopefully with all verses intact, unlike the circulating version. The Saturday Night Live & Grammy performances would have been great to see and/or hear, and the fact that the concert footage has been chopped up doesn’t bode well. Rather annoyingly, Discogs have been removing all bootlegs and pirates from their site – well, annoying to me, perhaps not to the music industry – so it will have to be fingers crossed that the San Diego set will get a separate release [‘Brandeis’ did, the superb 3rd disc in ‘Tell Tale Signs’ didn’t]. Each of the last 3 multi-disc sets have been in the Black Friday deals, so if you haven’t used up all your patience waiting almost 40 years for this stuff, an 3 weeks’ wait could pay a £40 dividend, if not, all eyes to Amazon Italy.

• RJS says:

“if you’re going to say you don’t like anything of Bob after 1966, well, why take the time out of your life to type it”

Haha! The irony…!

• Steven says:

Each to their own…..as I said, there is a very good single disc comp to be made of his Christian Years. And there plenty of decent cuts from each of his albums after ’66. I am sure there are plenty of fans out there who will be really excited by this release…..and thats good…..its just that I am not one of them

38. eric says:

The shows on this tour were spectacular.

39. Phil Wilson says:

It’s unlikely that the official store price will change, am I right? Has it dropped on previous sets?

The official store definitely won’t change, unless someone has made a mistake…

• Ben Williams says:

If Badlands are selling this for £134.99, don’t expect any of the prices at Dylan’s site to change. Badlands never change their prices once they’re up and they usually sell at RRP.. The Amazon price will come down for sure but probably to about £120 I bet.

40. Lloyd says:

Any idea whether the DVD will be released seperately?

• CJ Feeney says:

Going by previous releases, then no. Anything part of the official deluxe set stays in the set. Still no separate release for disc 3 of Vol.8 (which added £90 to the price compared to the 2 CD set) or the complete Isle of Wight concert from the vol.10 set.

41. Mark Hanson says:

My favorite period of Dylan. Interesting that they’re not including remasters or BD versions of the original Holy Trilogy. I am especially interested in the unreleased songs, some of which look more explicitly Christian (at least judging by their titles) than the ones that were released.

I find this a fascinating period of Dylan’s career, and not only due to my own convictions.

42. Michael says:

Does anyone know if the Dylan.com orders will be shipped to the UK from the UK or the US?
    The site refers to Sandbag UK handling product returns. Clearly if not purchases will be liable to the usual and substantial import duty lottery.

43. Stan Wool says:

I really like these three albums anyway so I’m in for the box. For me I think it’s ok pricewise, you end up with 10 discs (inc the San Diego discs) and a book in some fancy packaging, if you’re used to Bear Family sets then this wouldn’t be too much of a shock.

Roll on November 3rd!

44. CJ Feeney says:

Brandies not Bradley

45. daveid76 says:

Hang on – asking people to coff up for the 9-disc edition to get the unreleased tracks that are of most interest?? That is utterly cynical and ridiculous. Especially for a set that covers an era that is far from his best!

46. CJ Feeney says:

I recall that Live at Bradley was a bonus with Bootleg 9 or Mono Box, but later got a separate release, so I’m not too concerned.

Deluxe of 10, 11 and 12 all dropped to c. £50- £60 (from £90- £100) in the Christmas run in. I think I’ll sit on my hands awhile, but I really want this.

47. Steven says:

Absolutely no interest in this period of Dylan whatsoever. There is about an albums worth of decent stuff to be made from his Three Christian albums and Outtakes combined. ‘Dylan’ ended for me in ’66 (Ok BOTT’s is the exception)…. Got the Live 1966 recordings and Cutting Edge Collectors Ed……I can die a happy man

• The Ragman says:

Sorry but that is just bull to say there is one album of decent material from the 1979-81 era. Every Grain of Sand could easily rank as Bob best, or one of the best, songs from any era of his career. Finally we are getting “Trouble In Mind” on CD at last, only available officially as a vinyl B-side until now. A number of writers who attended the 1979/80 concerts rated them as among Dylan’s best live gigs / tours with a great backing band, Keltner, Drummond, Tackett etc and many people said the early live versions of songs from the Saved album blew the later studio recordings out the water. Bootleg Series Vols 1-3 already showed with outtakes like Angelina from the Shot of Love sessions that Bob was writing and recording more songs than CBS / Sony knew how to release at that time. City of Gold was another sublime song played in concert but not featured on a studio album. Slightly puzzled that Let’s Keep It Between Us looks like it has been left off all 9 discs even though it was performed live and demoed during this timeframe. Other points of interest from the gigs in this time are the special guests who performed at some of the 1980 Warfield shows, Roger McGuinn, Jerry Garcia, Michael Bloomfield’s last appearance on stage before overdosing.

• Derisa says:

“Trouble In Mind” was also released on the “Pure Dylan” compilation released by Sony Music Germany in Germany, Austria and Switzerland

48. Neil Jones says:

Hi Paul,
    Will you be doing the whole unboxing film thing that you did with the superb Cutting Edge Box?
    Do you know if it’s the same size? Also totally agree with the comments about the cover, what in the wide world of sports are they up to? Graphics for the others have been ace – shame to spoil it now. I’ll re-design it for them for free- guess it’s too late now.

Fairly sure Sony will keep the set consistent. They have done so in the last few years. Yes, will in all likelihood, do an unboxing video!

49. Rogério says:

Paul, I believe that actually 6 of the CDs have live recordings and 2 offer studio takes and rehearsals, right? And looking at the recording dates on the “Rare and Unreleased” tracks, some may even be taken from concerts as well, or at least soundchecks.

50. Stuart says:

I’ve previously only went for the 2CD editions of the excellent Bootleg series, however this is the first time I’ve been seriously tempted by the ‘big’ box version, mainly due to Slow Train Coming being a personal favourite of mine.

I think that this box may have the same effect as the Another Self Portrait set had on it’s original parent album i.e. it may tempt people to re-evaluate the 3 source albums and discover that there are some gems in there, despite the largely negative hype that surrounds them.

51. Jürgen says:

Yonder Comes Sin (Unreleased song – Oct. 1, 1980)

That’s the deal
    JM

52. Ross Baker says:

Intriguing as some of the stuff on here – and indeed the previous boxes – is, isn’t it about time we had remasters of Self Portrait, Dylan, Pat Garrett, Hard Rain, Saved, Shot of Love, Empire Burlesque, Down in the Groove and his early ’90s stuff? The remaster campaign from 2003-2009 put out a lot of his most acclaimed albums in a seemingly random order, and nothing since. Seems fairly barmy to me.

• Andy says:

All albums that hadn’t been previously remastered, with the strange exception of Shot of Love, were released on the complete albums box. Don’t know why they were never available individually.

53. Bobbyjean says:

Deluxe set £134.99 .vinyl set £69.99 both free post at badlands records

54. HalloweenJack says:

Can’t wait! :D

55. Fan says:

Don’t worry guys,prices will drop

56. Slow Financial Pain Coming! says:

I was never a fan of `The Hily Trinity`, despite having every LP/CD/DVD?Bluray/Box Set Zimmie had released I didn`t own `THT` `til Mrs SFPC bought me that marvelous complete box a few years back. Slowly very slowly I bagan to appreciate some of the songs once I`d learned how to block that religious hocus pocus fairy tale crap.

In fact I`m now so much of a fan of selected `THT` t racks, `Lenny Bruce` being a fave, that I`m in for this 9CD set and that 4LP* set. BUT (because Mrs SFPC has been requested to buy me that enormous King Crimson box [same price Zimmie, are you lookin`?] for Xmas) I`m waiting for prices to get to sensible levels.

*Started collecting the bloody Bootleg Series LP sets being the nutter that I am.

57. Solid Rick says:

Wonderful music but ridiculous pricing, both on Amazon and Dylan.com.

58. RJS says:

I appreciate it the (official) bootleg series but that cover does look like the sort of cover you get on cheap and nasty bootlegs.

59. Ronnie says:

this release is also available on pledgemusic.com, the deluxe set is a reasonable $125 (105 euro). Additional shipping not included

60. Marco says:

For an extra $ 70.000 there is a Dylan-hand-carved wooden cross delivered to your door by Gene Simmons!

61. Nicholas Love says:

I have absolutely no interest in the live material, and don’t want to have to buy the 9 disc version to get the 2 discs of studio outtakes, but doesn’t look like I have much of a choice.

62. Bobbyjean says:

Wow wow wow wow wow how much?.great product but the price is ridiculous.does bob do personal bible reading’s with everyone who gets the box set?..btw it’s £149.99 on his official bobdylan.com and you get a bonus 2 cd set from San Diego 79

63. Ben Williams says:

I’d love to get this from Dylan’s own site for the bonus album Live In San Diego but for £149.99 I think I’ll have to say nope… and that’s without delivery!

Cool they’re finally adding DVD to the big deluxe Bootleg Series boxes but a shame they haven’t included any of the studio outtakes on the 2 CD and 4 LP configurations!

I have it on good authority that the Blood On The Tracks sessions will be volume 14 next year, along with a Rolling Thunder era film to come out next year too. A good time to be a Dylan fan!

64. Tom M Hans says:

The Dylan website offers an additional 2disc set, live, when SDE is purchased there. Same prize as on amazon.com: 175.00.

Mentioned in the post…

• Tom M Hans says:

My bad. Sorry. Typed at 550am.

• The Ragman says:

Hi Paul, it turns out the bonus 2 CD set from San Diego is in mono despite having “Stereo” emblazzoned on the cover. Might be interesting to hear Sony’s take on this discrepancy?

• The Ragman says:

I could be wrong but I think that all the 1979 recordings and pre-Toronto 1980 are all mono… something I’ve seen mentioned nowhere in all the advance publicity in Rolling Stone / MOJO or by professional reviewers.

• The Ragman says:

Further weirdness regarding mono and stereo mixes on the set. It sounds to me that track 1 on cd2 “Slow Train” is an edit (around 45 seconds in) where the first section is in mono and the rest of the song is stereo!!! Such an edit would have been understandable if it was on one of the discs from the Toronto April 1980 or London 1981 gigs. Instead, despite “Slow Train” being featured at pretty much every summer 1981 show and having dozens of versions to choose from they have included a night where they have edited a mono mix with a stereo mix of the song on one of the compilation / ‘best of’ discs in the set. It might be that due to its location on the set list “Slow Train” came at a point when tapes needed to be changed over?

• The Ragman says:

Feeling quite disappointed. I ordered from the official website on 28th Sept hoping to get the bonus 2 CD as part of the deluxe set. The order from bobdylan.com seems to be fulfilled by Sandbag UK. Today is the release date and I have not heard a peep about whether it has been dispatched, or when it might be delivered, and whether ordering within the first 7 days of pre-orders and paying £161 in total has secured the bonus San Diego discs. Wishing I had ordered from Amazon now so at least I would have the automatic downloads!