Bob Marley and the Wailers / Live! / expanded 3LP set with two full shows

bobmarleylive

Bob Marley & the Wailers‘ 1975 Live! album is to be reissued as a triple vinyl deluxe package featuring the complete sets from both July ’75 shows at the London Lyceum.

Both Lyceum gigs (17 and 18 July 1975) were recorded by The Rolling Stones mobile studio and the original album, as issued, featured just seven tracks from the second concert.

This new triple 180g vinyl set of Bob Marley & the Wailers – Live! now features 22 tracks, with 14 of them previously unreleased.

The tri-gatefold package also includes a reproduction of the tour program from the band’s historic ’75 U.K. tour. There is no CD version of this release.

This new 3LP vinyl edition will be issued on 16 December 2016.

Bob & the Wailers Marley

Side Six

LIVELY UP YOURSELF  7.49  ++
I SHOT THE SHERIFF  7.08
GET UP STAND UP  10.17 ++

+ previously unreleased performance
++ previously unreleased full length version

40 responses to Bob Marley and the Wailers / Live! / expanded 3LP set with two full shows

1. Phil Wilson says:

Been hoping for this release – on CD. I’m sure it’ll come out on CD eventually though.

2. Kevin says:

Wow. I actually would’ve been interested in a CD version of this. Way to go, Universal!

3. Glenn says:

CD please

4. richard says:

fantastic news paul !! but men oh men 2016 is expensive for me so many boxed sets and vinyl to collect !! what the heck as bob would say Jah is not Dead !!

Richard

5. Yousef says:

As I’m sure I’ve mentioned ad nauseam elsewhere, I am huge lover of live recordings but the original version of this may well get my vote for the finest official live LP of all time.

Not sure that triple vinyl is the best way to present two full concerts but I think I may have to be in for this one.

I hope they haven’t tinkered with the sound too much – I like live albums to sound like a band in a room gigs, not some clinical, sanitized version of what happened to be passing through the mixing desk. Love the sound of the original LP so much so that it’s one of my few favourite records that I’ve never subsequently picked up on CD.

The last couple of months of 2016 are going to ruin me.

• Stevie B says:

So buy some of the stuff you want in 2017, it’s not like they’re going to be deleted after a few weeks. Might even find that you can pick items up at a better price.

6. Paul W says:

Great lets hope we get it on deluxe edition cd why vinyl ,it does not make sence to me

7. Paul E. says:

I have the 2001 remaster that included one bonus track “Kinky Reggae”. I love all the Marley reissues and deluxe versions…as soon as this one makes it to compact disc…I’m in.

8. CHDX says:

The lenght of the tracks is confusing me.

For instance, on my 2010 japanese version of this, “I shot…” is 5.18, wich means that it’s should be from night one, or that it’s been edited from night two (and then should in the new listing fall into the “++ previously unreleased full length version”).

Same with “Them belly…” at 4.36, closer to the “+ previously unreleased performance” from the first LP…

• Felipe says:

you’re right! The original Live! album issued in 1975 contains mostly songs from the first concert (July 17th, with the exception of LIVELY UP YOURSELF, which was only played on the second night). STIR IT UP from the first night was already released in 1978 on Babylon By Bus. Both versions of I SHOT THE SHERIFF had already been released. From July 17th, on the Live! album. From July 18th on the posthumous Talkin’ Blues album.

• Felipe says:

I SHOT THE SHERIFF 7.08
      GET UP STAND UP 10.17 +

+ previously unreleased performance
      ++ previously unreleased full length version

• rras1981 says:

Hi to All,
        Felipe clarified all…but i still have a doubt …usually the Live! LP was said to feature the second night 18th of July …even in the liner notes of the Taling Blues CD It is written that that the song i shot the sheriff never issued before belonged to the first night…..but all the tracks of this release already featured on the Live Lp are listed as 17th…so is this relaese is this the final information ?…unfortunately many tracks are missing like nice time, so jah say , etc that i have in a bootleg audience tape.

9. Andy Vizor says:

Hi Paul

If anyone is feeling flush…. Sound of Vinyl have an “Exclusive” with an extra 7″ of No Woman No Cry, its supposed to be 2000 worldwide (so it says)… it’s a tenner dearer….

Cheers

10. Enrico G. says:

The best live album of all times deserves a BluRay re-issue.

11. Come on Universal, CD please!

12. Matthew Best says:

Like seemingly plenty of other people, I will be all over this if it comes out on CD. Until then, no.

13. Eric W says:

I’ve never understood the raves for this era of Bob Marley. Sure, its good but his best was yet to come with the run of Exodus, Rastaman Vibration, Survival, and Uprising. Which is why I think Babylon by Bus is a much better live album and the one I had hope they’d expand.

14. Jan Burnett says:

The Universal site has abonus 7″ too.

15. AFGreenwood says:

will wait for the CD version I think. I haven’t bought any vinyl since 1988

16. Philip Cohen says:

Paul, I understand that you don’t want anyone criticising the music corporations, but if the record companies think that by releasing an important recording only on vinyl, that it will not be uploadable, they are quite mistaken. Why not market to the many thousands of people who would like to buy these recordings on CD.
    On the rare occasions that I’ve purchased an album that is offered only on vinyl, I transfer it to CD-R on the first play, to preserve the music, so that I don’t have to handle the L.P. again (and risk damage or deterioration)

I don’t mind people criticising record labels, I often do it myself. I agree that it is weird there being no CD version but I’m sure that will be released at some point.

17. Lionel says:

Hi,

Do we know if Barry Diament is involved in this project ?

Thanks in advance.

• Guillaume Bougard says:

Barry is not involved, but to make up for that absolutely dejecting piece of news, I am happy to let you know that the following were involved in this. Not sure it will be any solce but here is the list:

lead vocals, guitar = Bob Marley
      bass = Aston Barrett
      drums = Carlton Barrett
      keyboards = Tyrone Downie, Earl Wya Lindo
      guitar = Al Anderson
      percussion = Seeko Patterson
      harmonies = I Threes

I know they are not Barry Diament or the God of Mastering, but hey, gotta make do with the cards you’re dealt… Hope you survive

18. J says:

I would like to see the cd version as well however this is not a medium with an upward trajectory in terms of units sold. Cd sales were down 25% in 2014 & 17% in 2015. Vinyl, on the other hand, had its best year in the context of revenue stream (430 million) in 28 years which now exceeds ad-based (320 million) streaming (You Tube,etc) for the 1st time. Tier pay based streaming (Tidal,etc) is also realizing huge growth rates. At the Best Buy near my house CDs are no located all the way in the back of the store next to the land line telephones. I doubt CDs will disappear altogether but as a medium, its popularity is waning. Big companies are correctly focusing on demand, revenue & margin.
    J

19. Leemer says:

Kudos to Universal for the sequencing. I worry that the quality may suffer due to a couple of the sides being at least 25 minutes per side. None the less, it beats artists having a double album with 12 to 14 minutes per side. I would rather 20 minutes and a blank side with etchings like the Decemberists latest.

20. Steve Burke says:

Hi Paul,
    Would love it if a few carefully placed e-mails/phone calls result in the source lineage being revealed as you were able to do with the box sets via Universal.

I really hope if they’ve gone analogue > 24/96 that we get a Blu-ray. I’ll consider the vinyl if it’s AAA otherwise will keep my fingers crossed for BD or downloads.

21. Ian Burgess says:

The two full shows, nice idea. As so many have commented, when it’s on CD I’m in!

22. Lionel says:

Apparently a “non physical” Deluxe Edition release for both shows is also scheduled on iTunes…

23. Philip Cohen says:

One thing that makes me highly reluctant to purchase any further vinyl released by Universal Music, is their use of GZ Media in the Czech Republic, to press their vinyl releases. The records are often let out of the factory in filthy condition and with significant static charges, requiring multiple cleanings to play reasonably well. That’s a comparatively small problem. More serious problem is that those records that were actually pressed well by GZ are then damaged by careless handling by GZ’s factory workers. That’s what I encountered on one of the 3 records in Universal’s recent 3-L.P. set “The Who-Live at Leeds”. Fortunately, the loud repetitive scratch (at the start of “Side 3”) is during a spoken introduction, and it passes before the music actually begins.

24. Roger Richards says:

Rough Trade: ‘The International 3LP set contains a download card.’ https://www.roughtrade.com/music/live-deluxe

25. Jo King says:

there is also a 10% rebate on vinyl at amzon.fr with code “VINYLE10”

26. Martin Sinnock says:

You’ve got the dates wrong. It was actually Friday 18 and Saturday 19 July. The existing album was from the second night. I attended the first night……so I’m obviously excited about this release. I’m pleased it is on vinyl. Some of us never gave up on vinyl.

• Martin Sinnock says:

I’m assuming this to be the case as the original Live album says “recorded on 19 July” and checking in my Diary I see that I attended the Friday show which was 18 July.

27. Martin Sinnock says:

I’ve checked the Bob Marley tour dates and note that the Lyceum was 17 and 18 July. The 19th was in Birmingham, 20th in Manchester.
    This means that the original release of “Live” was incorrect when it states “recorded on 19 July”.
    I attended on Friday 18th, the second of the two Lyceum concerts.

28. Scott Bernstein says:

Looks like it’s available as high definition FLAC (etc) files at 24/192 or 24/96

See here:

And (at least for now) you can get a 15% discount with the code HDDEC16

It’s also available at http://www.prostudiomasters.com/album/page/11220 for almost the same exact price

29. Lionel says:

Cuurently listening the two performances, fantastic as expected, but I have a doubt with the dates : the original “live” has always been presented from the second night (18/07) and apparently it’s not the case (see “No Women No Cry” and “Kinky Reggae” to name a few). Could someone clarify this point?

Thanks in advance.

Lionel

• Lionel says:

sorry for the misspelling : “currently” and “woman”

• Felipe says:

LIVELY UP YOURSELF 7.49 ++
      I SHOT THE SHERIFF 7.08
      GET UP STAND UP 10.17 +

+ previously unreleased performance
      ++ previously unreleased full length version

30. Jan Burnett says:

My copies arrived and it DOES include a download card. Happy New Year!