Bob Marley / Island Years vinyl box MP3 download clarification

metal_bob

There’s been some confusion amongst SDE readers whether the new Bob Marley and the Wailers Complete Island Recordings vinyl box comes with MP3 download card or not, so I got in touch with Universal Music for some clarification.

It turns out that any box originating from the USA (e.g. Ordered from Amazon.com for example) does not include a card with a code for any kind of digital download.

However the ‘rest of the world’ is luckier, since if you order the standard rigid card box anywhere outside the US, you should get a code for MP3 downloads. If you have stumped up for the expensive ‘collector’s edition’ metal box you are rewarded with a card with a code for a hi-res download.

This is, apparently, all down to different publishing rules in the US when compared to the rest of the world.

The Complete Island Recordings box sets are out now. Read more here.

order_links

standard_bob

Complete Album Recordings (Rigid card box)

metal_bob

Complete Album Recordings Collector’s Edition (METAL box, slip mat + photos)

11 responses to Bob Marley / Island Years vinyl box MP3 download clarification

1. fedge says:

In other words, it’s 2015 and record companies STILL haven’t got their sh!t together.

2. Simon F says:

I don’t get it. You spend all that money on a box set of lovely vinyl albums, and all people are worried about is whether they can then download it all. I don’t get it…

I don’t think it’s ‘all’ people are worried about. But on the other hand if you’re paying $650 dollars for some vinyl I don’t think it’s unreasonable for them to supply some MP3s or digital files.

3. Marc says:

Thanks for the info Paul.
    I suppose I can’t complain too much after getting the collectors edition at the bargain price from Amazon.com

• Billy Dojcak says:

I got the bargain price as well. Haven’t opened it yet. Still trying to convince my wife how much I need this.

4. karl says:

Oh well, I didn’t buy it for the digi content so no worries here.

5. Alan Boyd says:

Hi I think the Queen Vinyl set has set a dangerous precedent with a high price however these sets may prove popular with Vinyl Enthusiasts. Any news of the first Roxy Music album to be reissued in 5.1 I think I saw an earlier post saying this was due in 2015?

6. Ron I says:

Both Sub-Pop and Bandcamp give you not only MP3 with your Vinyl purchases, but FLAC as well.

No reason why any modern vinyl release shouldn’t come with at least FLAC in 44/16.

7. Leemer says:

Wow! No wonder Amazon was selling the metal box for $235, it isn’t worth much more than a cardboard box in the USA.

8. Neigemont says:

They could at least have picked the legendary original zippo cover for Catch A Fire!

9. Steve Burke says:

Still not a peep about source material/lineage.