Bow Wow Wow / Your Box Set Pet: The Complete Recordings 1980-1984

Your Box Set Pet: The Complete Recordings 1980-1984 is a new three CD box set featuring the output of early eighties new wave band Bow Wow Wow.

Bow Wow Wow was put together by Malcolm McLaren in 1980 and featured former members of Adam And The Ants and the unknown Annabella Lwin.

The band would go on to produce three studio albums, with 1980’s tape-only Your Cassette Pet – their first and only album on EMI (they switched to RCA thereafter). See Jungle! See Jungle! Go Join Your Gang Yeah, City All Over! Go Ape Crazy! was the second album (released in 1981) and contains the UK top ten hit Go Wild In The Country. The third and final long-player When The Going Gets Tough, The Tough Get Going, was issued in 1983. Between the second and the third record came two EPs (Last of the Mohicans and Teenage Queen) and the compilation album I Want Candy.

This three-CD box set purports to be the ‘complete’ recordings, rounding up tracks from albums, EPs, flexi-discs and including alternative versions, B-sides, remixes – the lot.

Your Box Set Pet: The Complete Recordings of Bow Wow Wow comes in a clam shell style box set with the CDs in card replicas of the original releases.

It will be released on 25 May 2018 via Cherry Red.

Bow Wow Wow

Your Box Set Pet: The Complete Recordings (1980-1984)

HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 19.99

Disc: 1
1. JUNGLE BOY
2. CHIHUAHUA
3. SINNER! SINNER! SINNER! (PRINCE OF DARKNESS)
4. MICKEY PUT IT DOWN
5. I AM A TV SAVAGE
6. ELIMINATION DANCING
7. GOLLY! GOLLY! GO BUDDY
8. KING KONG
9. GO WILD IN THE COUNTRY
10. I AM NOT A KNOW IT ALL
11. WHY ARE BABIES SO WISE
12. ORANG-OUTANG
13. HELLO, HELLO DADDY (Iâ™LL SACRIFICE YOU)
14. SEE JUNGLE (JUNGLE BOY) (7″ RE-MIX)
15. CHIHUAHUA (12″ VERSION)
16. PRINCE OF DARKNESS (SINGLE VERSION)
17. GO WILD IN THE COUNTRY (7″ VERSION)
18. (I’M A) TV SAVAGE (7″ RE-MIX)
19. ELIMINATION DANCING (NEW VERSION)
20. KING KONG (NEW VERSION)
21. PRINCE OF DARKNESS (12″ VERSION)
22. GO WILD IN THE COUNTRY (12″ VERSION)
23. SEE JUNGLE (JUNGLE BOY) (12″ RE-MIX)

Disc: 2
1. APHRODISIAC
2. DO YOU WANNA HOLD ME?
3. ROUSTABOUT
4. LONESOME TONIGHT
5. LOVE ME
6. WHAT’™S THE TIME (HEY BUDDY)
7. MARIO (YOUR OWN WAY TO PARADISE)
8. QUIVER (ARROWS IN MY)
9. THE MAN MOUNTAIN
10. RIKKI DEE
11. TOMMY TUCKER
12. LOVE, PEACE AND HARMONY
13. APHRODISIAC (7″ RE-MIX)
14. DO YOU WANNA HOLD ME (USA 12″ VERSION)
15. BIOLOGICAL PHENOMENON
16. LOVE, PEACE AND HARMONY (USA RE-MIX)
17. I WANT CANDY (USA 12″ RE-MIX)
18. APHRODISIAC (12″ VERSION)
19. LOVE, PEACE AND HARMONY (USA 12″ RE-MIX)
20. WHEREâ™S MY SNAKE

Disc: 3
1. C30 C60 C90 GO
2. SUN SEA AND PIRACY
3. LOUIS QUATORZE
4. GOLD HE SAID
5. UOMO-SEX-AL APACHE
6. I WANT MY BABY ON MARS
7. SEXY EIFFEL TOWERS
8. GIANT SIZED BABY THING
9. FOOLS RUSH IN (WHERE ANGELS FEAR TO TREAD)
10. RADIO G STRING
11. W.O.R.K. (N.N. NAH NO! NO! MY DADDY DONâ™T)
12. C-30, C-60, C-90 ANDA!
13. I WANT CANDY (SINGLE VERSION)
14. EL BOSS DICHO
15. BABY, OH NO (SINGLE VERSION)
16. MILE HIGH CLUB (ORIGINAL)
17. LOUIS QUATORZE (RE-RECORD)
18. TEENAGE QUEEN
19. JOY OF EATING RAW FLESH
20. COWBOY
21. BABY, OH NO (12″ REMIX)
22. SEX (INSTRUMENTAL)
23. W.O.R.K. (N.N. NAH NO! NO! MY DADDY DONâ™T) (SPECIAL REMIXED DISCO VERSION)
24. MILE HIGH CLUB (RE-RECORD)

78 responses to Bow Wow Wow / Your Box Set Pet: The Complete Recordings 1980-1984

1. Rubber People says:

Something else missing from this boxset that nobody has mentioned – the short piece of instrumental music in 6/8 time on Your Cassette Pet in between Sexy Eiffel Towers and Giant Sized Baby Thing. (Don’t know if it has a title or not). I was rather upset that they left it out – it feels awkward going directly from SET to GSBT without that bit of music in between.

2. memoryboy says:

I am really enjoying this release. Sounds so much better than any previous releases of Bow Wow Wow’s music EXCEPT there was one CD I bought that has excellent Remastering, and the name of the CD was: “I Want Candy- The Best of Bow Wow Wow” (Priceless Collection) released in 2003. The sound quality on that CD is amazing.

But I do feel that this collection (Box Set Pet) sounds pretty good. Much better than previous other releases that some have mentioned here. No complaints!

3. Dirk says:

Two more tracks that are missing from this comp are the edits/mixes of Baby, Oh No and Elimination Dancing that are on The Best Of Bow Wow Wow (the one that has the two solo nnabella tracks at the end).

On the whole, though, I’m delighted with this release.

4. I cannot wait to get my hands on this set. I think the only thing I love more than Bow Wow Wow are music fans who truly appreciate Bow Wow Wow. You are my people!

5. Jim says:

I’ve got Bow Wow Wow LPs, 7″ and 12″ singles, Cassettes and CDs released over the years. This is pretty much everything you need (aside from few tracks mentioned already in this thread that are on the “Girl Bites Dog” compilation.) As for the remastering, most of it is very good. There are two vinyl rips from a flexi disc and a few of the Kenny Laguna produced-tracks (re-recordings of earlier songs) don’t have the bottom end that they had had on the original LPs, the 1993 cd release of the US “I Want Candy” LP and the 1996 RCA compilation. I wouldn’t go so as far to say that those few newly remastered tracks that I’ve already removed from my playlist in favor of the ones I already had “brick-walled” – it’s not I’d call “compressed” it’s just a handful of these tracks are a bit…flat, I suppose is the word I’m looking for. Having the blessing (or curse, however you might look it) I have incredibly sensitive hearing and I pick on very subtle differences in this release and some of the older compilations and original albums.

6. Sean says:

Clive posted “Unfortunately not complete, tracks that appear to be missing are Bow Wow Wow, Cast Iron Arm, Theme A.” (from the ‘girl bites dog’ comp.)

Does anyone know where these 3 tracks originated from, as can’t seem to find out anywhere ????

• Rob says:

The missing three tracks are from the ‘Girl Bites Dog’ compilation.
      There is also an excellent track called ‘Cash’ which is still unreleased and I believe came from the ‘When the Going Gets Tough’ sessions. There is a very poor quality audio version on YouTube which doesn’t do it justice at all.

• Sean says:

Hi Rob, thanks for the reply… yes I know those 3 tracks are on the “Girl Bites Dog” comp. but do you know where they originated from… i.e: B Sides, Demos, what period, etc….?

• Rob says:

Ah, sorry Sean, I see what you mean now.
          I don’t know for sure where these tracks originated from but do know that I first heard the instrumental ‘Bow Wow Wow’ when it appeared on the 16 track UK version of the ‘I Want Candy’ compilation. I don’t think it was released before this, but may be wrong.
          There was once a very good BWW book (which I wish I still had! ) which came out in 82 or 83 and which contained a discography. On a US version of an ‘I Want Candy’ compilation (not the usual gold Annabella version), listed as a track was something mysteriously called ‘Thomas A’. I never saw this album in the flesh, nor is there any record of it online since, but obviously it refers to ‘Theme A’.
          Perhaps the book was published beforehand, with the US album, cancelled or track listing altered.
          ‘Cast Iron Arm’, I know nothing about, but for me is their worst track by a mile.
          I would give an educated guess at the following:-
          Bow Wow Wow – 1980, recorded same time as Your Cassette Pet. Superb track that totally defines the BWW sound.
          Theme A, 1981. Very thin production sounding like a demo.
          Cast Iron Arm, from 1981 or 1982. Possibly deemed not good enough to do anything with.

• Sean says:

Hi Rob, thanks very much for the reply you give, you sound like a really true and knowledgeable fan, and I am really enjoying this boxset… never got the recognition at the time at all, did they mate?

7. Rob says:

I just received the box set today and compared it to Cherry Red’s “See Jungle” from 2010:
    Yes, they finally got it right; what a massive improvement! Love it!

• John Spasm says:

I’ve been working on a bunch of Bow Wow Wow related articles, including one I created for this set. Is there any written proof of the existence of “Cash” that I could use as a source for the article? A video on youtube will not suffice.

8. Carty says:

The box set arrived a day early! And so far is sounding amazing! :))

9. Dan says:

@ Paul –

This looks really terrific, but, as many other commenters have pointed out, Bow Wow Wow recordings have sounded like shit in the past – is there any chance you could get the official word from Cherry Red as to whether this set is going to be properly remastered from the original tapes?

Hugely envious of your trip to ‘Bowie Is’ in New York – especially in view of the weather: “Is it nice in your snowstorm / Freezing your brain / Do you think that your face looks the same…?” (admittedly db was writing about the kind of “snow” that you sniff, but it seemed an appropriate quote nevertheless).

10. Jon Prange says:

The “disco” version is the same as the twelve inch/extended version. This version has a warbled guitar part around 3:10. Im hoping they were able to fix it…

11. Hello Bongo says:

This blog post details some of the quite alarming back story to Bow Wow Wow and what McLaren was up to, which I think is worth reading and explains why those sleeve images are a bit problematic. It’s Annabella’s call ultimately about how her images are used now, but nevertheless I hope this sheds some light onto the why there is a mixed reaction to those images.

• Chris Squires says:

To paraphrase (I think) Stephen Fry. Never slavishly believe anything that starts or includes the word “Apparently”. And be very aware if an article uses the word several times when trying to make a pre-determined point.
      Personally I have no idea of what the truth was, but that article didn’t change my ignorance one bit.

12. FROM MARS says:

Any Word On A Wax Box ?

13. J Galvin says:

Annabella is 51. I’ve been waiting for a good set of remasters from these recordings. Even the Best Of Bow Wow Wow from about 13? years ago sounds like crap. Cherry Red is usually spot on with their remasters but they did recently drop the ball on the Edgar Winter “I’ve Got News For You” set. The corresponding tracks that are on the Real Gone Music Anthology sound so much better, the Cherry Red HNE box is low and muddy. I Was so disappointed.

14. Foxy says:

Anabella was unceremoniously chucked out of Bow Wow Wow about 5 years ago by Leigh Gorman to be replaced by a 20 year old girl. So make of that what you will. Anabella is still touring the 80’s revival circuit as a solo act and still attracts a large crowd.

• And his version of Bow Wow Wow truly sucks. I have always loved his bass playing, but the singer he hired is really terrible. They sound like a wedding band.

P.S. I designed Annabella’s new website and she is as nice as you can imagine. A really great energy and spirit. http://www.annabellalwin.com

15. Steven C says:

at the end of the day, Annabella must be like 60 now. I’m sure she’s well beyond feeling exploited. Let’s just celebrate the release of the music.

• Larry Davis says:

No…she is around my age, a year or two younger, and I am 50 now…but yeah, she is a hot, mature woman beyond exploitation, thank you very much!!

• Klaus says:

More like in her early 50s (remember she was ONLY 14 when bad men took ugly but nice looking photographs of her). Other than that I’m completely with you.

• She’s 51 and was kicked out of her band twice, and has almost no control over her own story or images of herself as a teenager. And a woman in the music biz who has had to fight to build a solo career while a former bandmate continues to scam audiences with a truly terrible version of a beloved band.

16. Ian Harris says:

Clive – I Started Somethibg… was recorded in the 21st century for a Smiths tribute album, so it’s unlikely to be a 1983 outtake of a song not written by Morrissey and Marr until a few years later. I think it was just Anabella and Leigh Gorman who did that.

17. cdmaniac says:

Looks like a flip-top box to me, Paul?

Yes it does look like that… but I think that’s them just trying to make it look like the old cassette. Cherry Red are describing it as a “clamshell box”.

18. Gary henn says:

Come on look at the titles. Glitter alert

19. Gary henn says:

No! Expliotaton.

20. Adrian Slatcher says:

One of my favourite bands. Shamefully dealt with by managers and record companies. See Jungle is a masterpiece, but much of their best material was on Your cassette pet/I want candy. WTGGT tracks work well alongside the other stuff but a bit polished. The brilliant Baby Oh No is a lost 80s classic

21. Steve says:

Ordered! really hope these are quality remasters!

22. Wax Monster X says:

Up to now all CDs from BWW have sounded horrendous. Even the When The Going… LP sounds crap. Here’s hoping we get some clear remastering.

23. Adey says:

Ah 2018, the year people got offended by (literally) everything…
    Still, i hope the see jungle album is an improvement on cherry red’s dire attempt from a few years back.
    I think i will read the reviews once released, before taking the plunge this time!

24. Alex D Falcone says:

@Derek, can you please offer more information about the re-recorded C30, C60… I know nothing about it, and I’d like to hear it. Is it on a CD, a compilation, a single? Please tell me where you’ve found it. Thank you.

• Derek says:

@Alex D Falcone. The re-recorded version of C30… was on a 7″ that was sold at gigs. There are a couple of different editions of the 7″ with the same tracks. The other side is the re-recording of Mile High Club that later reappeared on the B-side of the re-recorded Louis Quatorze. I have never found this version of C30 anywhere else.

25. My kudos to the designer of the new cover. The cover is bold, represents the band and the times, and not salacious.

26. Jeph Johnson says:

Good point. Nice to see “Teenage Queen” and the disco version of “W.O.R.K.” (which I’ve never heard before). I really hope Spotify picks this up.

27. Rob says:

Great! I really want to have this.
    I really do hope it sounds much much (much) better than that dreadfully muddy flatline sounding ‘See Jungle’ (2-CD) re-release from 2010; what a major disappointment that was.
    I dont know what masters they dug up for that release but I do hope they found the real masters now (and did something good with it). :)

28. SimonF says:

A most welcome collection from a hugely under rated band whose music got buried/ignored in all of the furore over Anabella. I love the aged look to this box – looks just like my rather battered copy of Your Cassette Pet. Trying to find vinyl copies of the two main albums nowadays is bloody impossible, I don’t own a copy of the third album at all, whilst my vinyl copy of See Jungle See Jungle has definitely seen better days. Neatly packaged so it will fit in to a small space. Oh and Colm 47 you forget to add Scorpions- Virgins Killers Lp to your list.

29. Clive says:

Unfortunately not complete, tracks that appear to be missing are Bow Wow Wow, Cast Iron Arm, Theme A. Also a track called I Started Something I Couldn’t Finish (sounds like WTGGT outtake).

Is the Disco Version of W.O.R.K. the Extended Version or something new?

Also where not Last of the Mohicans and Teenage Queen both American imports?

30. Derek says:

Oh, the tracks ‘Cast Iron Arm’ and ‘Theme A’ from the ‘Girl Bites Dog’ comp. are absent too, but they’re not exactly essential.

• Jeph Johnson says:

31. Derek says:

Yaaay!! Looks great. All the previous CD issues of the Your Cassette Pet era stuff have sounded incredibly muddy, so here’s hoping this is an improvement. Looks pretty complete too, though I don’t see the re-recorded 6min version of C30, C60, C90, Go! which is a shame as it’s rather good.

32. Paul says:

Really excited to see this release! Long overdue. Hopefully it will be worth the wait (recording quality wise).

33. Rob Dickinson says:

Respectfully have to disagree. With all the controversy that surrounded the release of Bow Wow Wow’s See Jungle! See Jungle! Go Join Your Gang, Yeah. City All Over! Go Ape Crazy LP when a fourteen year old naked Annabella Lwin did indeed appear on the sleeve, I doubt any further sleeves where she appeared (semi) naked weren’t used without her full consent. As regards her being ‘underage’, since she was modelling for a photograph, I think it’s more a question of what is age appropriate that caused moral uproar, … and seems to be once again.
    As regards someone at Cherry Red not knowing their history… c’mon! Do you really believe that? Perhaps someone from Cherry Red could clarify whether they needed Anabella’s permission to use that image.
    Whether you think it appropriate or not, for me it’s more of a censorship issue. Also, the record sleeves are free to view to on the internet, including on Annabella’s. Let’s not try to re-write history, many of Bow Wow Wow’s sleeves used her sexuality to sell a few units – as did many a teenage girl.

• Chris Squires says:

“Won’t somebody please think of the children!”

As someone wrote to the editor of the Times last year.
      “Dear Sir, please could you tell me how to behave today, so I don’t get into trouble tomorrow”.

Somebody piped up, you are already in trouble just for using the word “Sir”.
      Moral outrage, where will it end.
      Personally, couldn’t give a toss, it’s a great album, as a 14 year old myself at the time, It sold me….

• colm47 says:

The great thing about watching the video, not just that it was a fantastic song, but it linked to The Waitresses “I Know What Boys Like” and The Mo Dettes “White Mice”, 2 classic songs that bring me way back to my misspent youth!

I remember The Face magazine (I think) putting Annabella on the cover.
      I just googled it, number 13, I used to have a load of them and gave them away, arrggghhh!!!

I don’t think musical history should be rewritten.
      Are we going to have a new cover for Blind Faith’s LP for example?
      Or Led Zeppelin’s Houses Of The Holy?
      Arguably dodgier LP covers considering the age of the girls on both covers

• David M says:

Rob Dickinson: it stinked then and it stinks now. I don’t think words like “sexuality” should be used when talking about 14 yr old girls. She was certainly exploited and whether she seems to be ok with it now is not really the issue.

• Klaus says:

@David M.:

Please enlighten us moral half-wits: What is the issue in your opinion?

Just a quick note to everyone… no problem with this debate, but let’s keep it up to the usual SDE standards and not get into attacking each other etc.

• David M says:

Semi naked photos of an underage girl used to sell product.

34. Stephen K says:

Cool content.

35. Cherry Red’s previous release of See Jungle! See Jungle, etc. was pretty lousy. Let’s hope this magnificent album gets the treatment it deserves!

36. Omar says:

I hope the sound is good and not full of vinyl rips and wrong edits.

37. vikerii says:

Very cool! I’m going to get this for sure. I’ve only had their Playlist (Best of) release, but was pleasantly surprised with it. They were much more than just I Want Candy. Although, admittedly all their songs seem to be very much “cut from the same cloth”.

For anyone who hasn’t heard much of their other songs, some of my favs include:
    Do You Wanna Hold Me
    What’s The Time?
    Baby, Oh No (a little Bondie-esque IMO)
    Mile High Club
    Aphrodisiac

Can’t wait to hear the rest of their output!

• Hope you like the set – See Jungle! See Jungle! Go Join Your Gang Yeah, City All Over! Go Ape Crazy! makes up for the first thirteen tracks on CD1 and is a non-stop pop classic LP!

38. Auntie Sabtina says:

Cherry Red’s webpage says that “All material has been fully remastered especially for this release.”

We shall see…

• Argh! says:

“fully remastered” does not mean from original tapes. When it is, they list it. Expect the usual Cherry Red disappointments, similar to that Altered Images box.

• Lee Realgone says:

Indeed. There are several releases on the Rock Candy label that proudly state “24 bit remaster” on the sticker, but they’re horrible 24 bit remasters made from second rate needle drops.

39. jon says:

should we really be putting a half dressed child on the cover of this collection
    she was underage when this happened

• Adrian says:

Agree with Jon. Somebody at the label doesn’t know their history of the band and that picture. Shameful!

• Teejay Pea says:

You’re right about ‘somebody’ not knowing ‘the history of the band and that picture’ because it wasn’t *that* picture that caused the furore it was the proposed (and later released) cover for the album that recreated Manet’s Dejeuner sur l’herbe that caused the stink as her Mum reported McLaren to Scotland Yard over it. The picture featured was used as the cover for the later single ‘I Want Candy’and didn’t generate anywhere near the outrage of the earlier pic. Be as outraged as you like but get it right :)

• Steven C says:

Just stop. Don’t do stuff to delay the release. It may be shelved forever

• RJS says:

Don’t listen to ‘I Want Candy’ as you head over to Twitter to express your outrage, fellas. The suggestive lyrics (she ain’t singing about pear drops!) could result in you both suffering an online meltdown.

• AdamW says:

Recall that the original version of I Want Candy was performed by a male group. Cuts both ways.

(I can’t believe we’re seriously discussing this in 2018. She was undeniably exploited. That said, I am hoping that the fact that she publishes the pictures on her own website means that she’s now OK with them. And the music still holds up.)

• Larry Davis says:

Yes, it’s a cover by 60s fake Australian bubblegum psych rockers The Strangeloves…really 3 NY Jews, headed by noted producer/songwriter Richard Gottehrer…who worked with the GoGo’s, Raveonettes, etc and heads The Orchard…

• Larry Davis says:

About 20 years ago, I saw a reunion gig by the still-alive members of BowWowWow at NYC’s late lamented Wetlands…and the odd thing was Annabella was around my age!! She got hotter actually!! But apparently, she was cool with her history with the band and did not feel exploited in the least…ironically, if the band happened today, all the MeToo and feminists would be up in arms…being she was 14 at the time…but if anything, it was the late Malcolm McLaren who was shameless in his pursuits of the bands he worked with…he STOLE Adam Ant’s first Ants band to form Bow Wow Wow, also the NY Dolls and Sex Pistols, whom, he formed after having his SEX clothing shop…don’t blame Annabella whatsoever…please!!

• Chris S says:

I wonder what you think of the Blind Faith album cover?