roxy-debut

While promoting his collaboration with watchmakers H. Moser & Cie (yes, he’s designed a watch) Bryan Ferry revealed that a deluxe edition of Roxy Music‘s 1972 debut is slated for a “July 2016″ release…

In a recently published interview on The Red Bulletin, Ferry is asked if “we can look forward to anything new from Bryan Ferry?” and he responds thus:

“Yes, we made recordings which nobody has ever heard for the first Roxy Music album and now we’re releasing them in a sort of deluxe version”

When quizzed about the timing of the release, Bryan states “probably, July 2016″ and adds that there will be a DVD as part of the deluxe package.

Roxy Music guitarist Phil Manzanera said in November 2014 that he was “very excited” about box sets for the first two albums due ‘next year’. Obviously, that didn’t happen, but Steven Wilson also mentioned last year that he’d remixed the first album for 5.1 surround sound, so the DVD Ferry mentions is likely to contain that.

It has to be said that this interview may have taken place a good few months ago, and July seems very unlikely now, given that we’re in the middle of June and have had no official announcement. So for sure, keep that pinch of salt to hand, but nevertheless, Bryan on record stating that the deluxe will contain unheard recordings, feature a DVD and confirming that IT IS COMING OUT is, is reason for excitement.

2012’s Roxy Music: The Complete Studio Recordings (see below) was originally to have featured four hi-res audio DVDs, but they were quietly dropped. In the end the box set was limited to 10 CDs.

Roxy Music

Roxy Music: The Complete Studio Recordings 1972-1982

Shop Price GBP Stock

27 responses to Bryan Ferry reveals summer release plan for deluxe edition of Roxy Music’s debut

1. EW99 says:

We got Steven Wilson mixes of Ladytron and The Numberer for RSD last year so there’s proof that something has been done. I do wonder though if “recordings which nobody has ever heard” only means different versions of known songs (as per the extended Ladytron on the RSD 10″) or if there’s going to be anything completely new.

Anyway this an absolute must for me if and when it turns up. Hopefully not July what with the Ramones and Simple Minds SDEs already slotted in.

2. Steven says:

About bloody time!

3. Wayne Klein says:

They need to get these out sooner than later. No one is getting any younger including Ferry and company. I bought the boxed set and was pleased with it. There were ru ours of early BBC recordings as part of this set.

4. Le Baron says:

Is there still any album that Steve Wilson didn’t already remix?

5. The Cat says:

This was (although a cliche to say so) a truly seminal album of the mid seventies. And a radical one at that, incorporating many of the innovations of the Canterbury scene, but also of early American minimalism (Glass, Reich, etc.) and, of course, the Velvets. Lyrically, Ferry took what could be done in a pop context to a new level, and this was even noted a little later, in a Newsweek article, of all places.

It would certainly be sad if the BBC In Concert material, long available in various bootleg forms were not included, remastered, as it is one of the few live records of the band at the time available (although negotiating rights from the Beeb might be an insurmountable issue…). What would probably end up on there are Virginia Plain, the single, and the B-sides of it and subsequent singles. Who knows what “unheard” material there is, it is an exciting prospect.

What wouldn’t be surprising is the inclusion of vinyl, which as many argue, would not add anything unless you’re a devotee, and make the set more expensive.

If this does indeed come out, next in line would surely be For Your Pleasure. For such a release, again, one would hope for the long available in bootleg demo tape version.

Viva Roxy!

6. gwynogue says:

I look forward to hearing more about this, but I must admit I’m a bit concerned with his “…sort of deluxe…” comment.

SORT OF?

His comments sound to me like it might be a compilation/collection/anthology, rather than re-issuing individual albums. Hmmmm…

• Mike the Fish says:

Maybe sort of deluxe refers to a CD/DVD set rather than a big box with trinkets and vinyl, etc.

7. Charles Hodgson says:

An absolute must for me as it’s one of my favourite albums ever. As far as 1972 goes, this towers over ‘Ziggy Stardust’ (and I love that album too).

Radio One In Concert and Peel Sessions from the era MUST be officially released at last on this. If not, they are crazy.

There must also be a whole raft of earlier versions / demos with Davy O’List on lead guitar. He plays on a Peel Session (at least), possibly also the In Concert show.

Not wishing to denigrate Manzanera (his contribution to Roxy is immense), but wasn’t it pretty much all in place with the debut LP tracks before he replaced O’List? His leads on the LP are almost identical to those played by O’List in earlier versions.

Somebody more knowledgeable with the minutiae / timeline of early Roxy is welcome to correct me if I’ve got this all wrong.

8. Gert says:

Looking forward to this very much. Hope to see more detail soon.

9. Michael says:

God I’d love him to deluxe Flesh + Blood. One of the greatest albums of all time.

10. Richard Harris says:

This has taken an eternity so far and we still haven’t got a confirmed release date. If they do deluxe versions of all 8 albums (and I hope they do) we may be in for a very long wait before they get t0 Avalon.

11. Chris says:

Can’t wait. It is one of the most exciting reissues for me especially with said extras

12. Scott says:

Just curious. At the time when this album was released, would this have been considered a “sexy” album cover? Would the cover model have been considered “hot” back then? Was it legitimate or were they making some sort of ironic statement or joke? I was born the year this was released, so the aesthetics/standards of beauty that I grew up with in the ’80s and ’90s were different. To me, this cover photo looks like a middle-aged mom who went to one of those shopping mall “boudoir photo” places. Or was that the point? Seriously interested. I don’t know much about this band to understand what they were going for here.

• JF says:

“I don’t know much about this band to understand what they were going for here.”…I take it you’re American then? Don’t worry, none of you did :)

13. Charles Hodgson says:

Scott, if you look at all the Roxy covers you’ll notice a theme: they all feature top fashion models of the era. I think stylish rather than explicitly “sexy” is what they were aiming for. But then, as Spinal Tap said when questioned about being sexist, “what’s wrong with being sexy?”

I think the difference between then and now is that these were fully grown women, as opposed to the stick-thin, androgynous and very young girls favoured by the global modelling industry today.

What that says about the “progress” of our society between then and now is probably not very inspiring.

14. The Cat says:

Scott, nice to see someone young, open minded and curious. Ferry was at art school and one of his teachers was Richard Hamilton, one of the originators of pop art. The Roxy cover shows the appropriation of popular art (at the time opposed to a notion of “high art”, somewhat unthinkable now), specifically “girly” magazines of the 50’s and early 60’s. This was the era when Playboy magazine was just coming to the fore, and until the mid sixties, a fuller silhouette in women was the preferred norm. You can find collections of images of such magazines in books published by Taschen, for instance. British “girly” magazines were generally less polished and more girl/wife next door oriented than their American counterparts, so you’re you’re observation is probably quite apposite. There’s probably also the influence of the art of the pop movement itself, people like Mel Ramos, Tom Wessleman, and last but certainly not least, Allan Jones (For Your Pleasure’s cover sure looks toward him). Look them up, and enjoy discovering a world different from the current bland cookie cutout media. People like the rock poster artist (among other things) Coop still use and adapt this kind of imagery in their work nowadays. There would certainly be a measure of irony in the cover image as well, as, by 1972, the sort of image on the cover was hopelessly out of date. But all of Roxy/Ferry’s subsequent output are also steeped in the imagery, as well as the mood and narratives (look at the lyrics of the first album carefully) of films from the 20’s to the 40’s. Ferry obviously loved this stuff as much as Morrissey loves British 50’s films (a whole other world for you to discover).
    The title of the song sums up the whole pop art ethos: Remake Remodel. Ferry, in his own way, was a precedent for what Malcom McLaren and Vivien Westwood would do only a few years later, combining the history and innovation of/in fashion and rock.

15. Rob says:

I hope that they will reissue “Avalon” as a deluxe edition as well. I would also like to see a deluxe edition of Bryan Ferry’s solo album “Boys and Girls”.

• Lee says:

Ooh, yes. Avalon, Boys & Girls and Bete Noir please, with Bete Noir hopefully including the story of the transistions from ‘Money Changes Everything’ to ‘The Right Stuff’.

16. Steve says:

I happen to know that the sleeve notes are currently being written for this, which is a good sign. It is very high up on my list of wants too. Hoping for some interesting early tapes !

• JF says:

Do you have any info on the notes or, more importantly, what will be included Steve? There will be no unheard stuff, I think it will be Radio sessions (John Peel etc.) and maybe a live broadcast from the time. There, at best, might be different versions of some of the tracks, which would be good as most of the stuff I mentioned has been available on numerous bootlegs through the years.

17. Nick says:

I’ve been waiting for this since it was first mentioned in late 2014 as coming out in early 2015. Please don’t get my hopes up too early again!

18. 2wicky says:

@The Cat
    Thank you for your detailled explanation on Roxy Music cover art, very much appreciated.

19. Ren says:

I myself have been yearning to hear the pre-album demos that Ferry passed around (on reel-to-reel tapes and acetate discs) n 1971. There have never been any bootlegs of those recording, to my knowledge. The ’71–’72 BBC recordings are widely bootlegged, and if sometimes not great, always interesting for hearing their style developing – but to hear the band in its primordial state, in the demos, would be wonderful. At any rate, I’m looking forward to hearing the first and second albums re-mixed/re-modeled.

20. Kim Porter says:

The 10 CD box set – mixed “flat” – is just awful. Same as the hideous-sounding ELO set. I gave them both away.

21. David says:

Getting a bit bored waiting for this now….

I would stop waiting and then be ‘surprised’ when it happens. BF obviously talking nonsense in that interview…