Canada 150 – A Celebration of Music

Calling all patriotic Canadians… Universal Music Canada will issue Canada 150: A Celebration of Music at the end of this month; a multi-format release issued on the eve of Canada’s sesquicentennial (yes, that’s a word – it means 150th anniversary), which includes a six-CD super deluxe edition that comes complete with a ‘coffee table’ book.

Jeffrey Remedios, President & CEO of UMC said, “assembling a package that sums up Canada’s 150 years would be impossible” but they’ve gone ahead and given it a go, anyway! Remedios suggests it “goes some way to answering the question of ‘how does a nation sing happy birthday to itself?’”

The big six-CD super deluxe includes the aforementioned book (10″ x 14″ hardcover) which apparently has a special double cover with 10 x 14 hard‐cover book featuring a double cover with Marc Jordan & Murray McLauchlan commissioned paintings featured on each.

The music runs a wide gamut of talent, both new and old and features artist such as Bryan Adams, Men Without Hats, Leonard Cohen, Barenaked Ladies, Alannah Miles, Rush, The Band, Steppenwolf, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Ron Sexsmith, Daniel Lanois, Shania Twain, Cowboy Junkies, Joni Mitchell, k.d. lang, Blue Rodeo, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Martha and The Muffins and many, many more. The box does have one exclusive which is Lighthouse covering Leonard Cohen’s Tower of Song (produced by Bob Erzin).

If that’s too much there’s a two-CDNow and Next‘ edition which concentrates more on new and future talent while a humble 11-track single CD ‘ICON’ edition doesn’t mess around and gives you the big hits.

All three editions of Canada 150 will be issued on 30 June 2017.

Various Artists

Canada 150 - six-disc super deluxe

Various Artists

Canada 150 - 2CD

Various Artists

Canada 150 - single disc

Amazon ca 6LP coloured vinyl box 5

Canada 150 / six-disc super deluxe edition

Disc  1

• The Weeknd – Can’t Feel My Face
  • Hedley – Crazy For You (Radio Edit)
  • Justin Bieber – Sorry
  • Keisza – Hideaway
  • Shawn Mendes – Stitches (Canada Radio Version)
  • Carly Rae Jepsen – Call Me Maybe (Single)
  • Shawn Hook – Sound Of Your Heart

• Colin James – Just Came Back
  • Tom Cochrane – Life Is A Highway
  • Avril Lavigne – Complicated
  • Loverboy – Working for the Weekend
  • The Spoons – Nova Heart
  • Platinum Blonde – Not in Love
  • The Pursuit of Happiness – I’m An Adult Now (original)
  • Barenaked Ladies – Lovers In A Dangerous Time
  • Corey Hart – Sunglasses At Night
  • The Northern Pikes – She Ain’t Pretty (Radio Edit)
  • Payola$ – Eyes Of A Stranger
  • Glass Tiger – Don’t Forget Me (When I’m Gone) (Single Mix)
  • Men Without Hats – The Safety Dance
  • Martha and The Muffins – Echo Beach
  • Rough Trade – High School Confidential
  • Gowan – A Criminal Mind

Disc 3

• The TransCanada Highwaymen – It’s All Been Done
  • Steppenwolf – Born To Be Wild (Single Version)
  • Bachman-Turner Overdrive – You Ain’t Seen Nothin’ Yet
  • Sloan – The Rest Of My Life
  • Teenage Head – Let’s Shake
  • The Headstones – Tweeter And The Monkey Man

Disc 4

• Lighthouse – Tower of Song
  • Michael Bublé – Home
  • Ron Sexsmith feat. Chris Martin – Gold in Them Hills (Remix)
  • Bachman feat. Neil Young – Little Girl Lost
  • Marc Jordan Feat. Johnny Reid – Rhythm Of My Heart
  • Robbie Robertson – Somewhere Down The Crazy River
  • Bobby Bazini – Leonard Cohen
  • Daniel Lanois – Flametop Green
  • Sarah McLachlan – Angel
  • Cowboy Junkies – Misguided Angel
  • The Rankin Family – Fare Thee Well Love
  • Loreena McKennitt – The Mummer’s Dance (Single Remix)
  • Shania Twain – Man! I Feel Like A Woman
  • Alan Doyle feat. Ed Robertson – 1,2,3,4
  • Nelly Furtado – I’m Like A Bird
  • Dream Warriors – My Definition Of A Boombastic Jazz Style
  • Rascalz feat. Kardinal Offishal, Thrust, Choclair, Checkmate – Northern Touch

Disc 5

• Leonard Cohen – Hallelujah
  • Joni Mitchell – Both Sides Now
  • k.d. Lang – Constant Craving
  • Anne Murray – You Needed Me
  • Celine Dion – My Heart Will Go On (Love Theme from “Titanic”)
  • Blue Rodeo – Try
  • Burton Cummings – Stand Tall (Live At Massey Hall)
  • Gino Vannelli – I Just Wanna Stop
  • Murray McLauchlan – Whispering Rain
  • Bruce Cockburn – Pacing The Cage
  • The Jeff Healey Band – Angel Eyes
  • Buffy Sainte-Marie – Up Where We Belong
  • Ian & Sylvia – Four Strong Winds
  • Jann Arden – Good Mother
  • Johnny Reid – What Love Is All About
  • The Tenors – Home I’ll Be
  • Tom Jackson – Promises (remake)

Disc 6

• Big Sugar – O Canada
  • Catherine MacLellan – Singing Sands (CBC Radio 2’s Great Canadian Song Quest)
  • Matt Andersen – Alberta Gold
  • The Guess Who – Runnin’ Back To Saskatoon
  • Max Webster – Toronto Tontos
  • Spirit Of The West – Canadian Skye
  • Rush – Lakeside Park
  • The Trews – Highway Of Heroes
  • City And Colour – Coming Home
  • Dan Mangan – Pine For Cedars
  • Gordon Lightfoot – Canadian Railroad Trilogy
  • Sam Roberts – The Canadian Dream
  • Sarah Harmer – Escarpment Blues
  • Various Artists featuring Marc Jordan & Ian Thomas – Sing It Together
  • Stan Rogers – Northwest Passage
  • James Barker Band – Lawn Chair Lazy (AM Radio Mix)
  • Dean Brody – Canadian Girls

5. The Band – The Weight
6. Bachman – Turner Overdrive
7. Rush – Tom Sawyer
8. Nickelback – Photograph
9. Robbie Robertson – Somewhere Down The Crazy River
10. Nick Gilder – Hot Child In The City
11. Glass Tiger – Don’t Forget Me (When I’m Gone)

110 responses to Canada 150 – A Celebration of Music

1. Patrick Balta says:

Six CDs and no Dalbello!? What a shame…

• Katherine White says:

A Proud Canadian, born and bred……it is ironic that this is a celebration of Canadian music, for Canada’s 150th birthday, and yet you cannot get it in Canadian stores! Amazon US carrying it but not Amazon CA – can only get the two cd version.

2. JJDelmas says:

Missing here some great Quebec acts, such as Harmonium, La Bottine Souriante or Le Vent Du Nord. IMHO.

• Dan K says:

How about Luba?! :-(

• Isabelle Bourassa says:

Tout à fait!! Oublier les artistes francophones, dont plusieurs eurent une carrière internationale, c’est une véritable honte! N’avons nous pas deux langues officielles au Canada?

3. James says:

As a very proud Canadian I find it ironic that I heard about this box set from a UK music blog. Thanks Paul. This is very much a continuation of the ‘Oh What A Feeling’ box set that came out in the 1990’s. It is not a bad representation of Canadian music, and while you cannot include everyone, there are some glaring omissions from my perspective. The Tragically Hip, Alanis Morissette and Our Lady Peace have all sold a lot of albums in this country. We have had some great jazz over the years from Oscar Peterson to Diana Krall, both absent. How about Maestro Fresh Wes and his landmark single that put Canadian hip-hop on the map? And not including Paul Anka is shocking. I could go on but as a Canadian I will be happy with what I get.

• Darren says:

This fellow Canadian enjoys reading about ‘box sets’ of various genres of music and music acts on Super Deluxe Edition’s website. I told Paul about the box set when I saw his post about k.d. lang’s “Ingénue (25th Anniversary Edition).” Tom Cochrane also released “Mad Mad Word” (25th Anniversary Edition) recently as well.

4. Tom M Hans says:

Neil Young?

5. Dan L says:

Thanks! From a Canadian. PS: KUDOS TO YOU: YOU have the full track listing and Amazon Canada doesn’t!

The press release:

6. Motte says:

No Skinny Puppy?

7. Newmusicmark says:

What?! No Kon Kan??!

8. gwynogue says:

Really? No Alanis?

9. Dave Swift says:

….but let’s not include Canada’s most prominent musician and leave a Neil Young-shaped hole in our collection, shall we!!

10. Will_2 says:

Surprised Emm Gryner wasn’t on there.
    She’s made some really consistent high quality albums over the years.

11. Joachim says:

Nearly the whole Folk and AltCountry sector is missed out. To shoot from the hip: Cowboy Junkies, Basia Bulat, Great Lake Swimmers, Neko Case. Even the big names: Neil or Levon Helm (nor his daughter) also left out. On the other side Kathleen Edwards and Blue Rodeo are in. Can’t see any system in that (labels?).
    What a pity, this is in fact a really pretty concept.

12. Catweazle says:

NO RUFUS WAINWRIGHT? No-one from the McGarrigle/Wainwright dynasty? Really?

• R.naud says:

My thought exactly but apart from Celine Dion (who became an international star by forgetting her roots musically and switching mainly to American rather than her own language), this compilation is totally biased towards the English-speaking part of Canada ignoring totally French Canadian Quebec’s musical heritage which may not have been as exportable as its English-speaking counterpart but weighs very much in the balance in terms of cultural significance.The McGarrigles and Wainwright children are from Montreal (even though they sing in English) so they lost out too…

• gwynogue says:

OMG yes! Someone give this person a free internet!

13. Marco says:

Not much fantasy in choosing the songs, all the big hits (and The Band should have had “Acadian Driftwood”)…really, couldn’t they come up with something else than “Hallelujah” for LC? Anyway, I’m not in for a collection that has Justin Bieber and no Neil Young.
    P.S: and what about Mary Margaret O’Hara?

14. plasket says:

Interesting that The Weeknd is on there but Drake isn’t.

15. Aaron says:

Is that the same Glass Tiger who released the single My Town with Rod Stewart?

16. Aaron says:

You don’t see many Travelling Wilbury’s cover versions…

17. Dylan says:

Roch Voisine…

18. Patrice says:

Nothing in French, either from Quebec or any other provinces, Several from Quebec but all English language: C. Hart, Men without Hats, L. Cohen, C. Dion, maybe others. Beau Dommage, Harmonium, Jean Leloup, Robert Charlebois, Claude Dubois, Jean-Pierre Ferland, Felix Leclerc, Diane Dufresne, etc….Oh I get it, artists in Quebec are in vast majority for the sovereignty of Quebec….Politics, Politics. But that gave a spot for Glass Tiger…a loosy 80’s 1 hit wonder.

• Gisabun says:

Maybe they’ll be a separate release in Quebec in just over a week….

• Justin says:

Beau Dommage! I am an American who only discovered them in the past year. Seriously like their work (enough to now own the vinyl and CD/DVD box sets). And yet, curiously, I barely know 10 words of French.

19. Max says:

Not one francophone track in six cd’s? Really?? Two solitudes indeed…

20. Andrew says:

Wot no Chilliwack or Moxy!

21. Tim-meh says:

What, no Anvil?

22. Jon C says:

Adding to the riffraff here… :p

NO TRAGICALLY HIP?!??

23. Gisabun says:

Oh Canada!

24. Neil Roger says:

No Tragically Hip, no money from me

25. Paul Wren says:

Am I dreaming or is Neil Young – the single most important Canadian recording artist of the last half century – missing?

26. Jay says:

No the pursuit of happiness.

27. Charles Hodgson says:

No Simply Saucer? Like doing Scotland without including Rezillos or Fire Engines. Or the Scrotum Poles.

Anyway, this is better:

Various Artists “Native North America – Volume 1: Aboriginal Folk, Rock and Country 1966-1985” Double CD (Light In The Attic 2014)

28. Yves lorson says:

Louis-jean cormier, karkwa, ariane moffat, kate and anna mcgarrigle, mara tremblay, a shame all francophone artists were neglected…Quebec is bursting with talent….absolutely incomplete….

29. Daran says:

No Stars? But Bieber makes it in….. No justice. And I thought Canada was a country of substance over style…..

30. Kenn S says:

How about Blackie and the Rodeo Kings, (Colin Linden, Tom Wilson, Stephen Fearing), Indio?

31. Truthsayer says:

I was interested in this until I saw that Pillock`s name, Beiber third down on the first disc, thank `whatever` that he wasn`t third from the bottom of disc 6. I was expecting Neil, Joni, Rush, Laughing Len and more GREAT Canadians with talent.

Funny thing is I attended SXSW in Austin Tx last year and on St. Patrick`s day one of the venues decided to be the odd one out and had a `Canada Day` (unless it actually was Canada Day) and they had bands from Canada on all day. Myself and my friends stayed a couple of hours before attending 1 or 9 other music venues that had beer!

The thing is the future  sesquicentennial revellers were making a big thing of it because the Canadian Culture Minister was in attendance, in fact he was a quite affable guy and bought me a pint of Labatts, what else. The bands that we witnessed were bloody zany, playing magic psychedelia and great rock music. One of them even had a marching band play with them, they were bloody bonkers!

Justin Bloody Bieber, HA!

32. Geoff says:

Based on the comments this should have had 150 tracks ;-)

33. Toofless says:

Rheostatics? Segarini?

34. Ian says:

Canada’s finest act is missing…Nash The Slash

35. howard says:

Holly Cole for goodness sakes!

36. Meadowmeal says:

Moi aussi, I find it very strange that they pretend that English is Canada’s only language. I hope there will be a francophone set to complement this one.

37. Meadowmeal says:

And by the way, The Dears would have deserved a spot.

38. Michael says:

Quite a few tracks only make one of the sets, presumably to encourage you to buy all the sets. I don’t think I’ll buy any of them.

39. Willard says:

I’d pitch in for The Box, Pucca Orchestra, Images in Vogue, Forgotten Rebels and good gravy where are Skinny Puppy and Front Line Assembly?

And lots of others mentioned above.

40. John Moore says:

Tough sell- won’t travel too far I fear- especially with so many sets being released these last few months and even more to come!

41. Bob M says:

Guess Who?
    And a great Progressive band, Spirit of Christmas!

42. Alfonso says:

A fucking joke. Every compilation that includes Bieber and leaves Neil Young out is a shame that can not be put on words. Seriously, this should be 3 CDS with Cohen’s songs and 3 with Young’s. Any other thing is a waste of time and money. And I will buy an item with a Bieber song the day I die…

43. RJS says:

This is one for the library for future historians to pore over centuries from now. There are just too many different genres and artists for it to be a coherent listen.

44. Beamish13 says:

Why is there no punk from B.C.? Dayglo Abortions should be there.

45. Mike says:

No Klaatu?, No FM?, Nor Dee Long, or Terry Draper?

46. TwentySmallCigars says:

No Tommy Hunter or Don Messer? Bah!

47. JohnnyJohn says:

No Pagliaro, no Offenback, No Harmonium, No Beau Dommage, No Vigneault, No AutChose, No Verve, No Voivod, No Neil Young, No Robert Charlebois, No Celine Dion, etc…and the selection of tracks is not the best ones…

I don’t know who selected these artists and the songs but evidence is their knowledge of Canadian Music is very low…..

They won’t sell any in Québec for sure…

48. Roel (from Australia) says:

On a positive note, great to see the Stampeders “Sweet City Woman” on here. Fairly hard to get on CD. A fantastically crafted pop single from 1972 & a big hit here in Oz. Also Rough Trade’s “High School Confidential – great song.
    Shame the single “Hits” CD wasn’t filled – only 11 songs
    But why a live version of Burton Cumming’s Stand Tall?

49. Jack says:

What an utterly bizarre and reductive concept.
    I shudder to think what the Australian version would include – Spiderbait and Slim Dusty? Dame Joan Sutherland and Sherbet?

• gwynogue says:

Probably all the ‘Australian Idol’, ‘Popstars’, ‘The Voice’, etc. one-hit-wonders. Blech!

• gwynogue says:

Scratch that – all the Australian ones would probably be from New Zealand. :)

*(I don’t mean that as a slur on our next-door neighbours – it’s just a snarky comment on how we continually claim their singers/bands/actors as ours.)

**(except Russell Crowe – nobody wants him) :P

50. johnny42 says:

What about The Guess Who? One of the biggest acts to come out of Canada. And another personal favorite, Blue Peter!

51. Mad Earwig says:

I guess 6 discs was never going to cover it all and please everyone….
    I was surprised that Matthew Good Band didn’t get in nor Frank Marino both of whom I love but it highlights that Canada has produced some brilliant musicians and songwriters!
    I will be playing Rush this morning with my coffee to celebrate.

52. peter wolf says:

And a couple more although they haven’t sold millions Aldo Nova, Frank Marino, Honeymoon Suite, Trooper,Pat Travers, Alannah Myles, Avril Lavigne, Red Rider, Chilliwack, Glass Tiger

53. gwynogue says:

And just where the hell is Robin Sparkles?!?!?! :P

54. Phil Fogel says:

No Luba, a shame, she isn’t know outside of Canada but won the Juno (Canadian Grammy) 3 years in a row for best female vocalist, she is an Icon.

55. beamish13 says:

I’m genuinely shocked that Idle Eyes’ “Tokyo Rose” isn’t there.

Seriously, there needs to be SOME representation of B.C. punk

56. beamish13 says:

Payolas’ “Eyes of a Stranger” is a massive omission, too.

57. Hans says:

Where’s Mae Moore?

58. Ralph says:

What? 6 CDs full of Music and a not one original recording from the charts of 1867? That’s scandalous!

59. ChristopherM says:

No William Shatner?

60. No Venetian Snares?

…. oh, just me then. Nevermind.

61. Tim-meh says:

DOA? Doughboys? SNFU?

62. Daran says:

No Jeremy Corbyn? Surely not!

63. peter m says:

Jane siberry ?

64. Carlos Gaio says:

No Alanis? No Arcade Fire? No Simple Plan? No Bee Gees? I’m not buying this.

65. Dean says:

Oscar Peterson?!! Oliver Jones, Diana Krall, Jesse Cook, Richard Desjardins, Gil Evans, Feist, Maynard Ferguson, Glenn Gould, Emm Gryner, Moist, David Usher, Ginette Reno, Arcade Fire, Gilles Vigneault, Patrick Watson, Offenbach, Beau Dommage, Michel Rivard, Rufus Wainwright, Holly Cole, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Harmonium, Félix Leclerc, …

66. Bruce says:

More love for Nash The Slash and his original band, FM.

67. Daryl says:

Odd to only have one Barenaked Ladies song – and not even a particularly popular one. Love that band – criminally underrated!

68. Christopher Old says:

Very interesting compilation indeed. Quite a few noteworthy misses, as others have already pointed out, but overall a very diversified collection. Much like us Canucks.
    In my opinion not nearly as good as the former “O what a Feeling” compilations put out in 1996 and 2001. May purchase though for nostalgia sake, in support of Canada’s 150th!

69. Christopher Old says:

And while we are mentioning omissions, no Saturdays in Silesia by Rational Youth.

70. Christopher Old says:

Or Flesh Under Skin by National Velvet, to add another.

71. Pingback:Out This Week / on 30 June 2017 | superdeluxeedition

72. Tom says:

What, no Mitsou???

Bye Bye Mon Cowboy is a classic!

73. Joe Mac Pherson says:

Having read the entire track listing for this box set, now I know, conclusively, Canada had the great misfortune of having absolutely no recording studios before 1955. Obviously, no 78 RPM records were created in the early 1950’s, the 1940’s, 1930’s, 1920’s, 1910’s…
    What DID Canadians listen to back then, in their own country? I guess it was all imported music from Great Britain, Ireland, France, Belgium (The French speaking people were in desperate need of French language music to remind them of their glorious Culture; thank God Europe could provide it for them).
    And of course, seeing the abysmal vacuum of recorded music from deprived Canada from the years 1900-1955- or maybe, possibly, 1960, when sound technology finally reached the ice and snow, frost covered lands of blizzard-prone Canada, cutting off any chance of recording studios to be constructed there prior to snow removal machinery, I’m relieved to know Canadians could actually BUY records from the capitalizing USA!!
    Hooray For Hollywood!
    And Tin Pan Alley, and Nashville!
    – Joe Mac Pherson,
    in North Hollywood, California

74. reed says:

So they put in Rush, Triumph, and Max Webster, but no Saga? A shame.

75. Tom says:

Also surprised there is no “Rise Up” by Parachute Club, an LGBTQ anthem – well, an anthem in general.

76. regan flint says:

Remember they have to get the artist’s / record companies permission for each song on these CDS. Some people may have said no to their songs being on here. I wish that they had CHILLIWACK’S song “Fly At Night” and some FM too.

77. df1chicago says:

Are the release dates for this accurate?
    I clicked on the link for amazon.ca and it says that this won’t be released now until July 14th…
    I clicked on the link for amazon.com and it says that this won’t be released now until July 7th…
    A bit disappointed I won’t have this for Canada Day…
    Bummer….

78. DLB says:

How can you call this a Canada compilation when the French language has been completely ignored and left out. Quebec has made significant contributions to the arts and French is an important part of that. This should be relabelled as an ignorant celebration of anglophone only music that is not representative of all of Canada. I definitely won’t be buying this.

79. Johi says:

no Great Big Sea? Really?

80. Tom says:

I am starting to wonder if they are cancelling this because I can’t find the link on Amazon Canada. Strange. It was supposed to be released today.

81. Rick says:

1 April Wine song???? Seriously ?

82. df1chicago says:

ok… what’s the deal with this release? i went to canada for canada day and was hoping to buy this while i was up there… you’d think for canada day, this box set would be readily available, but no… in some of the record stores i visited in saskatchewan and alberta, none of the people working in the stores even heard of this box set. i think universal canada has really bungled this one… no french music, no aboriginal artists, and now what seems to be an apology from the record company itself… way to go, UMG Canada…. :(

83. Sharon Santos says:

Where is April Wine? One of my all time favs… I am rather disappointed…

84. Corinne Lynne osko says:

Good lord no b b gabor ! No pursuit of happiness? No dalbello ? No rough trade with carole pope ? I did not see any neil young ether ? Lighthouse? Pukka orchestra? The extras ? They should have added an extra extra cd of those unsung great Canadian artists that had a few or minor hits they count as well ! Like Tonio k , chalk circle, pharachute club, Belinda Metz, the ugly ducklings, goddo, nash the slash, fm, the diodes, Lori Yates, Lisa Hartt, Etc

85. Jagmel Sandhu says:

No Neil Young, no Harlequin, no Trooper, you missed A Foot In Cold Water,and Terry Jacks and the Poppy Family! Nice try, but to miss these musical talents and include a overhyped Biieber is a real shame !

86. Jagmel Sandhu says:

To miss Neil Young and the Hip (both Order Of Canada recipients for their cultural contributions if I am not mistaking) in a Canadian collection is paramount to missing the Beatles and the Stones in any collection of British music, or for our Aussie writers not including Cold Chisel and Jimmy Barnes, and The Little River Band in an Aussie Collection .

87. df1chicago says:

has anyone heard anything about this release? as flawed as it is, i would really like to purchase this, but now all of the pre-order links are gone, except for amazon uk. as i live in the states, i’d rather not pay the shipping fees to get it from the uk.

does anyone know if universal is fixing the no-french error or have they just decided to quietly end this embarrassing episode altogether?