Deep Purple co-founder and organist Jon Lord was remembered at the Royal Albert Hall back in April this year when some friends and musicians (Glenn Hughes, Bruce Dickinson, Ian Paice, Don Airey and Rick Wakeman and Paul Weller) assembled to pay tribute to him.
The event was filmed and recorded and earMusic are releasing it next month across a number of formats; CD: Celebrating Jon Lord – The Composer, 2CD: Celebrating Jon Lord – The Rock Legend , DVD, Blu-ray and a deluxe box set which gathers many of those formats in one place.
The concert was split into two parts with the first concentrating on Lord’s classical music compositions and the second devoted to his achievements in Rock. The Blu-ray in the box (and the DVD) feature the event and a 60-minute documentary Two Worlds.
Two exclusive seven-inch vinyl records are included in the box set, the first featuring a live version of Deep Purple’s You Keep On Moving with Glenn Hughes, Bruce Dickinson, Ian Paice, Don Airey and Micky Moody and “Soldier Of Fortune” (both of these are on the two-CD). The second 7-inch vinyl includes a live version of Above And Beyond from the recent “NOW What?!” album (The B-side is Lord‘s “Fantasia”).
The box set features the following:
- • Blu-ray “Celebrating Jon Lord”
- • CD – Celebrating Jon Lord – The Composer
- • 2CD – Celebrating Jon Lord – The Rock Legend
- • seven-inch vinyl – various artists
- • seven-inch vinyl – Deep Purple
- • Exclusive T-shirt
- • Reproduction of show programme
- • Reproduction of an excerpt from Lord’s original handwritten music score from Sarabande, signed by Paul Mann.
All the editions of Celebrating Jon Lord are out on 29 September 2014.
CD The Composer
2CD The Rock Legend