Chris Squire / Fish Out Of Water box set

New 5.1 mix • New stereo mix • Original mix remastered • vinyl LP

Yes founder Chris Squire‘s 1975 solo album Fish Out Of Water will be reissued by Esoteric in April as a seven-disc deluxe box set.

This 2CD+2DVD+LP+2×7″ box set features a brand new stereo mix and a new 5.1 surround sound mix of Fish Out Of Water (both by Jakko Jakszyk) as well as the original mix, newly remastered.

The second of the two CDs includes four bonus tracks and the first of a pair of DVDs includes hi-res versions of both the original and new stereo mixes (as well as the 5.1). The second DVD is all about ‘visual content’, which means a 1975 promo film, a 2006 interview with Chris and an audio commentary by Squire recorded in the same year. The DVD is NTSC, region-free.

This set includes a 180g gatefold vinyl version of the album, which comes complete with poster. Additionally two seven-inch singles are included: Lucky Seven and Run With The Fox.

The Fish Out Of Water deluxe box set comes with what looks like a large-format 36-page book/let with an essay by Sid Smith featuring exclusive interviews with Bill Bruford, Patrick Moraz, Gregg Jackman and Jakko Jakszyk.

A two-CD digi-pak edition with only the new stereo mix and remastered original mix is also being made available.

Fish Out Of Water will be reissued on 27 April 2018.

Chris Squire

Fish Out Of Water - 7 disc boxset

Chris Squire

Fish Out Of Water - 2CD deluxe edition

HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 14.99

DISC ONE: CD

FISH OUT OF WATER (THE NEW STEREO MIX)
1. HOLD OUT YOUR HAND
2. YOU BY MY SIDE
3. SILENTLY FALLING
4. LUCKY SEVEN
5. SAFE (CANON SONG)

DISC TWO: CD
FISH OUT OF WATER (THE ORIGINAL 1975 MIX)
1. HOLD OUT YOUR HAND
2. YOU BY MY SIDE
3. SILENTLY FALLING
4. LUCKY SEVEN
5. SAFE (CANON SONG)

BONUS TRACKS
6. LUCKY SEVEN (SINGLE VERSION)
7. SILENTLY FALLING (SINGLE VERSION)

CHRIS SQUIRE & ALAN WHITE:
8. RUN WITH THE FOX
9. RETURN OF THE FOX

DISC THREE: DVD

FISH OUT OF WATER THE NEW 5.1 SURROUND SOUND MIX (96 KHZ / 24-BIT)
THE NEW STEREO MIX (96 KHZ / 24-BIT) RE-MASTERED ORIGINAL STEREO MIX (96 KHZ / 24-BIT)

1. HOLD OUT YOUR HAND
2. YOU BY MY SIDE
3. SILENTLY FALLING
4. LUCKY SEVEN
5. SAFE (CANON SONG)

DISC FOUR: DVD

FISH OUT OF WATER – VISUAL CONTENT
1. FISH OUT OF WATER 1975 PROMO FILM FEATURING HOLD OUT YOUR HAND YOU BY MY SIDE
2. 2006 INTERVIEW WITH CHRIS SQUIRE BY JON KIRKMAN

2. SAFE (CANON SONG)

DISC SIX: 7″SINGLE

LUCKY SEVEN
7” SINGLE IN PICTURE SLEEVE
CHRIS SQUIRE:

SIDE ONE
LUCKY SEVEN (TOM DOWD EDIT)

SIDE TWO
SILENTLY FALLING (SINGLE VERSION)

DISC SEVEN: 7″SINGLE

RUN WITH THE FOX
7” SINGLE IN PICTURE SLEEVE
CHRIS SQUIRE & ALAN WHITE:

SIDE ONE
RUN WITH THE FOX

SIDE TWO
RETURN OF THE FOX

43 responses to Chris Squire / Fish Out Of Water box set

1. Peter says:

Turned up today, 3 weeks earlier than expected. Impressive set.

2. David says:

I got to meet Chris at a store called Vintage Vinyl in New Jersey and it was interesting to say the least. He was promoting the reunion of The SYN. At 12:00 in the afternoon 2 guys just walk into the store and ask where to set up. Sadly, Chris was a bit hammered. I remember he played a lot with his hat. The performance was a shambles and neither could decide what to play. This went on for about 30 minutes till the owner asked them to start the signing. He talked up a storm with every person on line and kept talking and talking.
    But hey, I got to meet Chris Squire and it was great. He signed both the Syn cd and Fish Out Of Water. I was happy. Not only to get 2 things signed but to get the hell out of there. It took about 6 hours from getting on line at 10:00.
    But hey, I got to meet Chris Squire!

3. Tim says:

I’ve still got my original UK vinyl (with poster) and I must have played it almost twice…

Just saying.

4. PuptonBluton says:

Esoteric seem to be making a business model out of reissuing lesser known prog albums in increasingly lavish sets. Nothing wrong with that of course, especially when it brings some real gems back in to circulation.

However, I do generally find their deluxe sets to be a little pricey. For example, the recent Procol Harum, Move and Anthony Phillips reissues were well-done, but mostly just recycled a lot of previously released material at twice the price of the previous reissues, so I gave them a miss.

Now they’re at it with Fish Out of Water, last reissued in the mists of 2007 as a deluxe double-disc by Sanctuary, which I picked up for £5 not long after it was issued, and the contents of which are replicated here in Discs One and Four. This is a solid, but by no means classic, album; any non-prog fan will have real difficulty in understanding how it justifies a deluxe set like this and even for someone like me who likes this genre it’s a three-out-of-five album. So I really struggle to see how they will shift copies of a £75 set which only really offers a 5.1 mix, and some vinyl on top of that previous issue and the newly available 2 disc version.

Like many others, I find the mixing together of formats pointless and unnecessary, and whilst Squire was keen to have a 5.1 mix made of this album when he was alive, I also struggle with new stereo mixes, which is fast becoming the Emperor’s New Clothes of reissues, especially prog. So, I’ll definitely be giving this a miss. However if you haven’t got this and you’re not bothered about vinyl and 5.1, then it’s better to buy the 2 disc version with the remaster and new stereo mix, and also seek out the Sanctuary copy for the visual material. It’ll cost considerably less than £75!!

• Gil says:

Just got mine yesterday and fired it up this morning while I had the house to myself.

I loved this album when I got it in 1975 – big Yes fan, thought it was audacious for a bass player to front his own band with a solo record, no guitars, and the London Symphony Orchestra, to boot! Bought the first of the CD releases back in the ’90s, it wasn’t remastered and seemed quickly put out to just have it out there on CD and make a quick buck from the then-digital revolution.

So I read about this deluxe set with great interest and ordered it. When it arrived I lovingly opened it up and perused the contests – nice package! – and dropped the DVD (a shame it isn’t Bluray) into my Oppo player.

It sounds amazing! Jakko did an excellent job on the 5.1 surround mix, which for me is worth the price of admission alone. Everything else – the vinyl (including the two singles), the booklet, the CDs – is gravy. And very good and valuable gravy at that.

Many folks spend more on Starbucks, beer or cigarets in a couple of days than I did on this box set – if the price puts you off, you are free not to buy it. No need to slog off those of us who appreciate the ‘mixing together of formats’ – I still have my Technics SL-122 turntable and a nice phono pre-amp in my surround receiver, I’m enjoying all of it.

5. Adam Shaw says:

Love this album .
    I was fortunate enough to meet Chris and his wife Scottie a few years back . He was a really great guy and a very good story teller . He sent me a signed copy of this album on cd when it was remastered.
    A great loss to music .

6. Mick says:

I’ve always loved this album. I’m with those who:
    1) prefer Bluray over DVD.
    2) prefer digital and vinyl separate with the digital in a far more compact packaging.
    3) are a bit wary of how stretched this content is to accommodate a SDE

That said – I’m in IF it gets a U.S. release more affordable for those of us in the States, and IF the dynamic range isn’t brickwalled from here to Timbuktu.

7. J says:

Paul
    Any chance of a USA release that you know of? All complaints duly noted & I will still find a way to get this handsome set to TEXAS.
    J

8. Tom M says:

I don’t understand the comments referring to “lossy 5.1” on these DVD’s. Yeah, some companies pull that shit, which is why I’ll be kicking the Roxy Music set to the curb, but that’s not what this set is offering. 96 Khz / 24-bit is hi-res. And I second “Olias of Sunhillow.”

9. Adrian says:

I would buy this if it was CDs & DVD only and less than $30

10. Derek Langsford says:

It seems like these multi-format SDEs only please a minority with the majority of commenters wanting only vinyl or only digital with subgroups wanting Blu-ray over DVD or vice versa, or no 5.1 or only 5.1. While I am in the no vinyl group, I do wonder what it is from a marketing perspective that we are all missing?

Do music labels carefully research demand and the expected return on various combinations of products for a release and pick the one that will maximize profit? I can’t believe that it is just incompetence or bloody -mindedness that prevents labels from releasing a variety of formats that pleases the majority and penetrates the market deepest (e.g. Sgt Pepper).

With regard to this release, I was not familiar with the album, but liking 5.1 mixes, may have sprung for a 2CD+Blu Ray set if available for around £25 (like the Yes albums). But not only is the 5.1 on a DVD (how are they getting 96/24 5.1 and stereo mix on a DVD?) but you can only get it with an extra DVD, the LP, and 2 7″s for £74 in a big box. I, and I assume many just can’t go there. If I am going to spend money on new SDEs of albums with which I am not familiar, it is going to be in a format combination I want i.e. something like Marillion’s Brave or to wait for something I really do want, not this. Without a 5.1 disc, the 2 CD set is of much less interest.

• Benjamin Adams says:

You’re missing that these multi-format boxsets are economically non-viable for Chinese bootleggers to copy. That’s why there’s no pirated version of the Pink Floyd Early Years box, which would have been a natural for the bootleggers if it had been CD only.

• Tom M says:

“how are they getting 96/24 5.1 and stereo mix on a DVD?” It fits and then some, believe me, thanks to MLP (Meridian Lossless Packing). All the Yes, King Crimson, ELP and Steve Hackett sets had it, to name just a few.

• Derek Langsford says:

My mistake. I assumed they were both DVD-V. I have a few hi res DVD-A discs.

• Tom M says:

You may be right after all, these might not be DVD-A. But DVD-V can still handle 96/24 okay. Anyhow I pre-ordered this with the “BIGTHANKS” code. After the discount and VAT removal it was just under £55.

11. Kevin S says:

Some nice ‘new’ stuff like the 5.1 mix but Disc Four DVD looks like a direct lift from this set from 2007

12. Steven says:

What a shame. I would have instantly purchased a version similar to the recent Yes releases. This box set with stuff I don’t want? Sorry, no thanks. :(

13. Frenchy Eric says:

Chris being dead in june 2015, who’s in control of his rights ? Who’s saying in his name, let’s put this and that in a superdeluxe box set ? Being alive, not sure he would have done such a big box with so little content…

• Charles Christopher says:

This does seem to be a bit much content spun out of pretty slim contents – I mean, it’s just one 40 minute album with a couple of extra tracks, nicely packaged and then priced in the $100 range. I like this album, but I don’t like it *that* much – I mean, compare it to the Yes album re-releases from Panegyric and it seems like they’re really stretching it out and pricing it pretty high. I’ll be generous and assume it’s that pricey because a solo album from the bassist of a 70s rock group is a niche product and it’s economics-of-scale making it a pricier re-release than, oh, Topographic Oceans. Still, I’m likely to pass on this one.

I thought that Freddie Mercury’s solo career was milked a bit after his death and subsequent deification, but at least he had *two* albums.

• Chris B. says:

He did do another solo album: The Christmas themed ‘Chris Squire’s Swiss Choir’ in 2007 (say it fast!). It included a revised version of Run With the Fox. Steve Hackett on guitar on all tracks except that one.

There was also a full collaboration with Hackett entitled……..wait for it…………Squackett which is a dreadful title but marginally better than Hire I suppose.

14. Bobbyjean says:

After years of collecting boxsets I don’t think you can make everyone happy.maybe a solution is the kind crimson boxsets that are amazing.but even they have no vinyl so no boxset is perfect

15. Philip Birtwistle says:

Obviously not the same people doing the excellent (and excellently priced) Yes reissues…..

16. elliott buckingham says:

i don’t understand why things are still put onto dvd when bluray is the way to go it cant be that much more expensive to manufacture. and re another comment I buy vinyl but would also buy a 5.1 mix of a great album

• Stevie B says:

I might be the odd one out here, but I can play DVDs through my computer, but have no ability to play Blu Ray discs. Also, Blu Rays are usually more expensive, which makes DVDs still the most attractive option for me.

17. Marty says:

I do like the source material and would welcome the additional tracks and the LP, but I don’t need DVDs and 5.1! Is there no pleasing us!?

18. Keith says:

I have already contacted Chery Red and was told the 5.1 is only in this set.

so i told them sorry lost sale for me.

why oh why to record comapnies persist in vinyl and 5.1 in the same set.

would have purchased a slimmed down set and I amsure vinyl lovers dont wan want teh surround much either so this is market limiting at its best.

Plenty more 5.1 in the sea money spent on te Marillion set instead.

Yes I reserve the right to maon about the price of the Roxy set as well but at least that is not mixed media

• Bobbyjean says:

I personally collect vinyl and cd so in a boxset I want them both

• Mathew Lauren says:

None of my Vinyl has been touched since the mid-80s and I’m still on the fence about the forthcoming Roxy Music SDE. For ~$150.00 (now), one can get a hires ALL-disc (every format including HDR 10+ 4K) A/V player, so whether via DVD Audio or Blu-ray music, it is frustrating that these MANY of these SDE’s are overpriced and (still) “lossy” DVD-V 5.1

I’m not a huge Jakko 5.1 mix fan, however, I love good, 5.1 news. Feel I must buy to promote surround.

• frattonlad says:

Keith, don’t assume vinyl lovers don’t want 5.1. I love vinyl but I really appreciate the extra depth a good 5.1 mix can bring to favourite albums too… I have 5.1 of Marillion, Depeche Mode, Tears For Fears, Jethro Tull and am very happy when they are included.

XTC are next up on my wishlist, almost entirely because of the 5.1 mixes as I already have the vinyl!

FWIW I would have released this without the LP (keep the 7″ singles in there though) as many fans will have a decent vinyl copy at home already.

19. Bill Hammell says:

Grrrrr! More 5.1 wasted on lossy DVD! WHY?!?!

20. Gis Bun says:

I wonder how stuffed the 2 DVDs are. 5.1 and other mixes don’t take much room.
    As well, I hate when they include both original and new mix. Would of been happy with just the new mix and extras on one CD.

21. Bobbyjean says:

Yes it has vinyl but let’s not moan.put that boxset up against the roxy boxset price and you can afford to throw the vinyl out and your still on a winner

22. JJDelmas says:

A great album well deserving the SDE treatment. It would make a great pairing with a similar edition of Olias of Sunhillow.

• John D says:

Yes please! (No pun intended). A nice new CD presentation of Olias would be most welcome.
      I think Fish is a great album but the 2 CD set is all I need.

23. Bogdan says:

Tempting as this box set might be, I can’t help comparing its contents to the similarly priced Procol Harum box set. Which makes Fish out of Water seem overpriced. I realise it has the hi-res stuff which is appealing, but still… if they’d only done a CD+Blu ray combo, that one would surely have been a winner (they could have easily charged twice the price of the 2-CD set).

24. Justin Hynes says:

Will be happy with the 2cd version, not for the remix (whatever…) but just to get a digital copy of an album that’s been hard to find for some time (aside from expensive Japanese SHM presses). Have a good vinyl copy so not bothered by the box set. Hi res might be nice but… 70-odd quid. Maybe not.

25. Aaron says:

2 disc set for me!

26. Jake says:

I’ll save my usual complaints about having to buy an “everything included” set just to get the 5.1. I love this album and I’ll take the 5.1 any way I can get it.

I do think, though, they could have combined the two DVDs into one (or made it a Blu-Ray) and made a 3-disc set that would make a lot of people happy who don’t want the vinyl.

And instead of the Fox songs, I would have preferred some live recordings of songs from the album. I know a couple were played live in later years.

Still, that’s minor stuff for me in this case. I’m really excited about this one.

• Jeff says:

I’m with you. Love this album and I’ll buy practically anything in 5.1 but I really don’t need the vinyl. Oh, well. I’m still in on this one.

• James Auman says:

I also am considering buying for the 5.1 mix. Bryan Adams gave fans a choice with his Reckless album 5.1 mix (get everything or just the 5.1 mix). Wish TPTB would do the same for us Squire fans. Do you think I could resell the vinyl on ebay at a fair price?

27. rosegirl says:

Hmm, tempted for the hi-res.
    But all that vinyl I don’t want and will never play :(