Classic Rock Anthems: vinyl exclusive

classic_rock

Dads beware this Christmas, since a new compilation, Classic Rock Anthems, is being issued exclusively on double vinyl and will be available in the aisles of a supermarket near you…

This collection features the usual suspects (Survivor, Europe, Journey, Meat Loaf, Toto, Bonnie Tyler etc.) and back in the ‘old days’ a set such as this would have been compiled in ten minutes in somebody’s tea-break and thanks to ‘TV advertising’ it would have casually sold 600,000+ copies. Ker-ching!

‘Classic Rock’ comps have been done to death of course, but it has probably been a while since something along these lines has been available on vinyl. Not only is that the case here, but it will be on-sale for as low as £15 in Tescos and Sainsbury’s, so could well find itself in the trolley along with the turkey and brandy butter as we move into mid-December. Of course, this is very much reliant on your local shop deciding to stock it – the Frankie debacle is still fresh in the memory.

If you don’t ‘do’ supermarkets, but do want to channel your inner Jeremy Clarkson (ironically this compilation doesn’t work for driving, for obvious reasons) then the good news is that you will still be able to pick this up in HMV and Amazon and the like.

Classic Rock Anthems is released on 25 November 2016. Now who’s up for a Nite Flights box set?

Various Artists

classic rock anthems - 2LP vinyl

Shop Price GBP Stock

track_listing

LP 1
1. Boston – More Than a Feeling
2. Survivor – Eye of the Tiger
3. Toto – Rosanna
4. Kansas – Carry on Wayward Son
5. Journey – Don’t Stop Believin’
6. Meat Loaf – Bat Out of Hell

7. Alice Cooper – Poison
8. Heart – Barracuda
9. Patti Smith Group – Because the Night
10. Blue Öyster Cult – (Don’t Fear) The Reaper

40 responses to Classic Rock Anthems: vinyl exclusive

1. Andy says:

Hate to say it – as much as you’re calling it a debacle, and I understood your pain – my local Sainsburys STILL has copies of most of those exclusives, including the Frankie.

• Martin says:

Totally agree just been into Sainsburys in Middlesbrough and there are 2 FGTH, 2 Madonna and 1 x UH, 1 X Superfly (Orange) and also the Elvis (White) and Sun Collection.

What I find annoying, is that Sainsbury’s clearly have plenty of stock, but when a customer (me) asks them to send some of this stock to their local store (that already sells vinyl) they can’t/won’t do it. It’s ridiculous.

2. AlexKx says:

Classic stuff!!!

3. Horslips says:

Looks good but where is Golden Earring’s “Radar love”?

4. Paul Mac says:

If that took longer than two minutes to out in somebody’s mid-morning toilet break, I’ll be amazed.

5. Ben Williams says:

I thought the days of K-Tel-esque compilations were over. Evidentally not.

All the classics are there I suppose but turn on Radio 2 or Planet Rock and those songs will be on. Probably right now.

6. elliott buckingham says:

Belinda Carlisle hardly a rock anthem

7. Steve says:

I went to Folkestone for a week and the Sainsburys there had all that special vinyl, enabling me to get Frankie and Madonna plus a few others.
    But any London store was hopeless.

BTW Tesco are doing vinyl again and my local has a special tesco only Phil Collins But Seriously on clear vinyl.

• Mike the Fish says:

My local Tesco is massive and they don’t seem to be doing vinyl at all. I’m interested in But Seriously anyway, so a reasonably priced clear version could have been a sale!

This is what’s so annoying. It’s all a bit of a lottery. I think if they choose to put vinyl in certain stores then those stores should have a consistent range.

• Paul Murphy says:

Same here, Yeovil Tesco is pretty huge, but when I enquired as to whether they would be doing any vinyl I got a look like I’d asked if they were going to be stocking clouds. Mind you, they’d actually run out of their own plastic bags today [I kid you not], so as Bob would say, it’s a wonder that they even know how to breathe.

8. Craig says:

Not really related but the discount chain Boyes are selling Frank / Elvis LPs at 3 for 20 quid. According to their Xmas flier it’s across all stores, maybe Sainsburys could learn from their merchandisers!

• Paul Murphy says:

If it’s Sinatra ‘The Voice The Legend’ and Elvis ‘Love Songs’, The Works are doing them 2 for £10. They also sell LP hanging frames, can’t tell you how good ‘Aladdin Sane’ looks on the hall wall.

9. Mark Carroll says:

Must admit, I’m rather fascinated by what vinyl Is stocked in my local Sainsbury’s (Kidderminster)… VERY Interesting…

10. BJ says:

This week at Sainsbury’s and Tesco (released Nov 4th) they’ve had One Step Beyond by Madness on Cherry Red Vinyl.

11. TheProgster says:

Mostly good songs on here but who in their right mind is daft enough to pay £20 for this on vinyl? Come on you’d be better to get theses tracks on the individual albums on CD and remastered…Vinyl is old hat, crackly, inferior product doesn’t last…I’m sticking to CD and 320kbps downloads…record companies are ripping people off for the price of vinyl…shocking.

12. Simon Olsen says:

I can see why the other bands have been put on this compilation, but what the hell is Patti Smith Group doing here??

13. Liam Bastick says:

For all those saying Sainsbury’s still have Frankie, Madonna etc. can anyone buy me a couple of copies of each? Where is the exchange mart here Paul please? Us Aussies want these too please and would be happy to reimburse!!

14. Brian says:

Why do they assume dads are into middle of the road rock?

15. Adam shaw says:

I hope it’s remastered ! My old American Heartbeat vinyl album is well worn out !!!!!

16. Paolo says:

Wow, they’ve even done a Youtube trailer for this. Here in Italy at similar kind of retailers you can find Smiths’ records or ‘Purple Rain’ at lower tag prices, I’ve seen copies just the other day going for about 15 euros. For £15, which roughly equals to 18/19 euros, you can get one of the Bowie latest remasters, so I assume that a right price for such a budget release shouldn’t be higher than £10.

17. Darren says:

On the FGTH debate. The Charlton branch had no stock three weeks ago when I tried. Assistant told me they had some but sold out. Central stock check via twitter told me they had stock but I gave up. Casually went in there last Sunday for something else and there were 4 copies on the shelf!! Poorly displayed though.

18. AlexKx says:

Yeah, but Belinda Carlisle is a BABE so it’s all o.k.!

19. AlexKx says:

This sure does look pretty on this side of the computer screen I must say…if I do say so myself.

20. Justin Isbell says:

Paul, You say that the compilation doesn’t work for driving but did you know that you used to be able to buy a record player for your car. The American’s had several models over the years and I remember John Peel telling a tale about one from when he was out in California. Wouldn’t be a good idea on English (or Italian) roads though so I can see why they didn’t catch on over here.

21. pjm says:

That’s Christmas sorted.

22. Dean says:

I find it hard to believe there is a market for this type of thing any more. I could put this together on my PC in probably ten minutes, if I wanted it. £20 in the UK (at time of posting), are they having a laugh? World has gone mad.

23. Leemer says:

The burning fire sound effects are super annoying. I guess K-Tel hits are available at most used record shops for cheap.

24. bertielego says:

So what do we have here?
    A banal compilation, packaged in regular cardboard cover featuring an average looking artwork, for sale at supermarkets.
    Nothing “Deluxe” about this…

25. Joseph says:

Yup, the old gang of CBS suspects back at it again. Wot, no Dream On & Cat Scratch Fever?

26. Arr Gee says:

This must be the most pointless vinyl release ever. I can understand a proper LP or even a hits LP from a particular act, but to make an LP which is effectively a compilation for driving is bonkers. Why would anyone sit through four sides of it? I can’t even imagine anyone who would burn a CD with this track listing. I never ever regretted throwing away the stacks of K-Tel/Ronco LPs that I had once CDs turned up.