Concert For George / four-LP vinyl package, combo sets & deluxe box

First time on vinyl • new combo packs  • deluxe box

Concert For George was first released across a number of formats in 2003 and documented that emotional and rather joyous evening on 29 November 2002 when friends, family and former bandmates came together to celebrate the life and work of George Harrison. Almost 15 years after that release, it will be reissued next month, available for the very first time on 4LP vinyl and other formats, including new video-audio combo packs and a very exclusive deluxe box set.

Despite the big names, there was something very intimate about this event and the people who performed all knew and loved George. They included Jeff Lynne, Eric Clapton, Tom Petty, Ringo Starr, Paul McCartney and Joe Brown, who closed the show with a tear-jerking performance of I’ll See You In My Dreams.

New to vinyl, the 4LP edition of Concert For George is the only audio format to have ALL the audio

Significantly, this new vinyl version features the complete sound recordings from Concert For George – the first time all the songs from the performance have been available on an audio product. This means that Sam Brown‘s stonking rendition of Horse To The Water (arguably one of the best of the night) is included on the vinyl edition. The CDs remain as before, and include a slightly edited down 20-track collection. Side eight of the new vinyl includes a beautiful looking etched mandala-design.

Deluxe box set limited to 1000 units worldwide

A limited edition deluxe box set includes the 4LP vinyl, 2CDs, 2blu-rays and 2DVDs along with a 12”x12” hard-bound 60-page book. Fans who buy this edition also get a cutting from the original hand-painted on-stage tapestry used as the backdrop at the Royal Albert Hall on November 29, 2002. This is mounted on an individually numbered card. This deluxe edition is limited to 1000 worldwide and includes a note from Olivia Harrison, explaining the story behind the tapestry. Before you get too excited, this edition is $350. I can only find a USA pre-order link right now.

New combo editions bring together CDs and blu-rays (or DVDs)

Although the content on blu-ray, DVD and the two CDs hasn’t really changed (the full concert is on the first blu-ray or DVD while the second video disc offers the ‘theatrical version with additional material’), this time around there are combo editions available: a 2CD+2xblu-ray set or a 2CD+2xDVD package. If you don’t want the video (why wouldn’t you?) there’s a two-CD edition as well.

Concert For George will be reissued by Craft Recordings on 23 February 2018. Note the insanely good price on Amazon Italy right now for the 4LP vinyl. Still waiting (at 21.20 17/1) for Amazon UK to deliver their price.

Various Artists

4. Give Me love (Give Me Peace On Earth) – Jeff Lynne
5. Beware Of Darkness – Eric Clapton
6. Here Comes The Sun – Joe Brown
7. That’s The Way It Goes – Joe Brown
8. Taxman – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
9. I Need You – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
10. Handle With Care – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers with Jeff Lynne & Dhani Harrison
11. Isn’t It A Pity – Billy Preston

10. Beware Of Darkness – Eric Clapton
11. Here Comes The Sun – Joe Brown
12. That’s The Way It Goes – Joe Brown
13. Horse To The Water – Sam Brown
14. Taxman – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
15. I Need You – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
16. Handle With Care – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers with Jeff Lynne & Dhani Harrison
17. Isn’t It A Pity – Billy Preston

16. All Things Must Pass – Paul McCartney
17. While My Guitar Gently Weeps – Paul McCartney & Eric Clapton
18. My Sweet Lord – Billy Preston
19. Wah Wah – Eric Clapton & Band
20. I’ll See You In My Dreams – Joe Brown

4LP vinyl edition

Side 1: Sarve Shaam – Traditional Prayer, Your Eyes – Anoushka Shankar, The Inner Light – Jeff Lynne & Anoushka Shankar

Side 2: Arpan – Conducted by Anoushka Shankar

Side 3: The Lumberjack Song – Monty Python with Tom Hanks, Sit On My Face – Monty Python, I Want To Tell You – Jeff Lynne, If I Needed Someone – Eric Clapton, Old Brown Shoe – Gary Brooker, Give Me Love – Jeff Lynne

Side 4: Beware Of Darkness – Eric Clapton, Here Comes The Sun – Joe Brown, That’s The Way It Goes – Joe Brown, Horse To The Water – Sam Brown, Taxman – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Side 5: I Need You – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Handle With Care – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers with Jeff Lynne & Dhani Harrison, Isn’t It A Pity – Billy Preston, Photograph – Ringo Starr

Side 6: Honey Don’t – Ringo Starr, For You Blue – Paul McCartney, Something – Paul McCartney & Eric Clapton, All Things Must Pass – Paul McCartney, While My Guitar Gently Weeps – Paul McCartney & Eric Clapton

Side 7: My Sweet Lord – Billy Preston, Wah Wah – Eric Clapton & Band, I’ll See You In My Dreams – Joe Brown

Side 8: Etched vinyl with mandala

58 responses to Concert For George / four-LP vinyl package, combo sets & deluxe box

1. Mischa says:

I’m one of the 15 people who ordered the Deluxe with a “Complete set of authentic Test Pressings (4-discs), pressed at Quality Record Pressings (QRP)” – Only I received just ONE test pressing. Paul, can you please post about this or contact anyone you can. Customer service is not returning any emails. I’ve been in touch with 3 others who ordered the Deluxe + Test Pressings and they ALL only received ONE disc.

Save us!

• Ed says:

Micha, did you, or know of any of the 15 “lucky ones” receive any reply from Universal? I have mailed them last Friday (and filed a PayPal complaint), but so far nothing. Shocking poor service……

2. Ed says:

Anybody else just got 1 out of 4 Test Pressings???? What a rip-off…..

3. Ed says:

Just received my box which was supposed to contain 4 Test Pressings (limited to just 15 sets). Only 1 Test Pressing included….. Reading on the Steve Hoffman Forums it seems that only 2 out of 15 box sets have been confirmed to contain 4 TP albums…. what is going on here?

4. Lee Taylor says:

looks like the deluxe vinyl box set has been put back until April :(

5. Harrison says:

Would the US cd/blu combo be region free for the blu ray? as its cheaper to order from US than UK for me but i need region B or region free…

6. Sean Murdock says:

The deluxe package looks lovely — as Harrison product often does — but it is exorbitantly expensive (also a hallmark of Harrison products). Congrats to those who want this and can afford it. I will celebrate this release as (hopefully) the last thing in the existing canon that they can re-issue — meaning, there will have to be something NEW next time, if there is to be a next time. There are untold mysteries in the FPSHOT vaults, and George himself had started the process of assembling an Anthology-like box set nearly 20 years ago. It’s time.

7. Alan Wilson says:

The Amazon UK price briefly materialised for a few hours this morning for the 4LP set and it was a whopping £143.02. The fact it’s been taken back off sale already may suggest that this price was a little off the mark and they’re doing some re-adjustments, but as indications go I’d say the Amazon Italy price is looking like a very solid price judging by all the other Amazon Regions so far.

8. Paul Jary says:

Whilst re releasing/re promoting Concert for George is good for fans who may not have the original release & also the pocket of the GH estate, what GH fans want is a box set of unreleased tracks from his archive. It has now been nigh on 17 years since he passed away. It looks like the family won’t get around to it in the next few years. How long will we have to wait?

• Sean Murdock says:

While I completely agree with you (and just posted as much), keep in mind that the big Lennon archival dig (Lennon Anthology) didn’t happen until 18 years after he died. So the GH estate is arguably within established norms for this kind of thing. I think we’ll get something new and exciting eventually, but Olivia may need to hire an outside curator to pump some enthusiasm and purpose into the archives. I can’t tell if Dhani really wants to do it and doesn’t have time, or he feels he HAS to do it and doesn’t really want to — either way, it’s not fair to expect him to be chained to his dad’s career forever.

9. Marc says:

Seems not to be possible to pre-order the deluxe box set if you are from Europa / Switzerland. It says: “Sorry, no quotes (shipping costs) are available for this order at this time.” Maybe that is my luck and i safe money?

10. Stevie B says:

I never got around to buying this first time round and a re-issue has been high on my wish list for some time. 2CD/DVD version at £25 seems like a good deal but I’ll wait to get it from either HMV or my local indie store if the price is anything like compatible.

11. Dave says:

Another rip off if you live in the UK and want the deluxe box!
    I’m sick of import charges so will give this a miss.
    Great movie but I have the DVD anyway.

12. Robert says:

I have seen pieces of this concert on youtube and I have always liked this concert, but I never bought it on CD or Blue-ray. So I am going to buy the CD / Blue-ray combo.

But why didn’t they include “Horse To The Water” on cd ? Because it was … and still is … a great performance by Sam Brown. Wasn’t there anymore space left on the cd ? Now it only can be found on the Blue-ray.

Only the people who buy the “4 LP vinyl Edition”, get the whole concert. They shouldn’t threat people who buy their music on CD different from people who buy their music on vinyl.

13. Richard Z says:

Sorry, the information probably can be found by looking through all the information given already, but in short.
    What will I be missing content wise, if I just stick with the original cd’s and dvd I bought way back.
    Only the lP version is complete right?
    With “Horse To The Water”.

14. Takoradi says:

They also offered a $450 first pressing set . Only 15 of them . Happy I missed it.

15. Takoradi says:

They later offered a $450 first pressing set.
    Only 15 of them .
    I missed it I’m happy to say.

16. hendry doran says:

£100 to order the vinyl from the George Harrison website. Ouch

17. IJW says:

Less than £60 delivered to the UK from from Amazon.it seems like a decent deal to me. Can’t imagine it’ll be any cheaper than that when listed on the UK site (in fact I’ve seen it listed at £89.99 from another UK seller) so that’s the one for me. Still expensive, but I’ve only ever owned the DVD of the show and it’s one of my favourites, so I’m happy with that.

18. Allan Johansen says:

Yea, thanks Paul – as usual on the ball. Ordered the deluxe from George’s site, not too bad price (+ 39$ postage for Australia) and looking forward to the tapestry, not quite the Bayeux, but hopefully nice anyway (no pictures or details on the website yet). My order-number was 800000862, so maybe there only 138 left?

19. Josh says:

Shipping to Europe of the deluxe box quoted at $21.47. Worst case scenario, if they declare full value and customs adding in the postage, the import duty to my country, which is 19%, would make it a total of $442.05 !!

20. Derek Langsford says:

It seems like they are catering to all tastes with CD only, vinyl only, CD + DVD, CD + Blu-ray. and for those want it and can afford it, a deluxe boxed set with all and more. But given that the extra $150 for the deluxe version gets you a box, a book and a piece of tapestry, it seems they are asking a premium for a genuine piece of Beatles-related history. The CD + Blu-ray will be my choice. All the music and show visuals in the formats I care about without having to buy ones I don’t.

21. Chris says:

Set Compilers to CD Listeners/Folks Without Turntables: “DROP DEAD!”

22. Robbie says:

Are the Prices going up to more and more ridiculous heights. No fan with average income has a Chance to buy These sets. Is it really okay to aim only at the rich Folks? Is it really what an Artist wants? The lower income fan for the regular stuff and the better fan for expensive sets? As a fan I would be offended that I with an average income am simply not good enough for an Artist.

• RJS says:

It’s a dying industry and they just want money; everyone’s money. Judging by the daily comments on this site, there are plenty of people who will buy anything that’s packaged in a pretty box, regardless of the content or price.

• colm47 says:

A bit of stage curtain fabric/tapestry thingamabob.

I knew that box set with the unique numbered stone/pebble would set a precedent.

23. Jim C says:

I know that I have been breathlessly awaiting “a cutting from the original hand-painted on-stage tapestry used as the backdrop at the Royal Albert Hall on November 29, 2002…mounted on an individually numbered card….(and) a note from Olivia Harrison, explaining the story behind the tapestry.” Not.

What I would have liked is the issue of “Early Takes Volume 2”.

How about thinking about the general fan for a change instead of try to find 1000 mugs to spend a fortune on – let’s be honest – fairly peripheral material?

PS “..Side eight of the new vinyl includes a beautiful looking etched mandala-design.” Wow! And to think that could have been used for music….what a waste that would have been.

• Brian Stanley says:

@Jim C

Until you mentioned it, It has been several years since I remembered Early Takes was supposed to have a second volume. Don’t think I’ll be holding my breath on that one.

24. Yani P says:

23.78 shipping plus import duty I guess ?

• Alan Wilson says:

It’s a possibility, but given the value of the set it’s unlikely to ship with a low value, it’s a chance you take.

25. William_M says:

$350????…… my sweet lord!!!!

26. Nick says:

It’s ridiculous that this was filmed in the U.K. George Was obviously British …. and the Deluxe Box Set cannot be ordered from the U.K.!

That’s a shame as The Import Taxes would take it way over budget… Release it in the U.K. Please!

27. Got to have this thanks Paul.
    One of the best and emotional concerts I’ve been to.,,

28. Jeremy says:

Great to see this finally released on vinyl – AND with Sam Brown’s wonderful rendition of ‘Horse to the Water’. The US price quoted is high for a four disc set but then again George was a Beatle and we all know that Beatle related stuff will sell at any price. Hopefully other Amazon sites will put this up for pre-order soon.

29. Guy V says:

Finally will have this in 180 gm vinyl! Ordered!

30. Chris Squires says:

I ordered one of the sde sets and it seemed to go through alright, now when I click the link I just get “Forbidden”….maybe the Mrs. is smarter than I think.

31. John says:

Aha! A vinyl edition at last, and complete with all the songs for the first time – yes! So many moving performances of classic songs in one place, it is great to have them all. The mega-fan only deluxe box set is enough of an interesting, crazy, one-off luxury that I will, fortunately, be able to birthday treat myself in the USA. So please tick one off my “vinyl bucket list.” Thank you for the heads up!

32. Renato says:

The 4lps (well, really 2 lps and an half, I don’t think there will be lots of people listening to those sitar things…) are overpriced

• Kevin M says:

@Renato

The “sitar things” are beautiful.

Indian Classical Music, as it’s actually called, is beautiful, and very popular, to many people all over the world,

33. Howie says:

Horse to Water makes the vinyl boxset the one to get for me. However, I wish they had included the blu ray with the vinyl like The Rolling Stones Havana Moon vinyl set.

34. Pritam says:

This is great news overall and wish I could spend the $350 for the mother of the set!
    Will there be * just* the 2-disc blu ray as well?

35. Alan Wilson says:

That’s the only link for the Super Deluxe set, it’s on the banner in the UK George Harrison store.

It reads “Available only from the official George Harrison US store”

Great… so $350 plus shipping and import duty if you live in the UK/Europe!!

• Alan Wilson says:

I feel your pain on that one, however…. Just put one in my basket and it’s a very reasonable $23.78 shipping, that’s a surprise.

36. George Glazener says:

Can we assume that the Blu Ray video will be in 5.1 surround?

37. Lee Realgone says:

I’ve already got the double DVD set (an amazing charity shop find last year), but the reissue of the double CD is good news. That’s become notoriously hard to find.

38. Yani P says:

350 bucks …. mind boggling !!!!

39. George Glazener says:

SWEET, SWEET……SWEET…!! A 75th BIRTHDAY PRESENT FROM GEORGE TO US. A DEFINITE MUST HAVE…

THANKS PAUL…..