Cream / Fresh Cream super deluxe

fresh_cream_sde

Now updated with full track listing

Cream‘s 1966 debut album Fresh Cream will be reissued as a super deluxe edition early next year.

The release hasn’t been officially announced (update: It has now!) but this is expected to be a three-CD + blu-ray audio package that comprises the UK mono album plus outtakes, mono singles on mono EPs on the first disc, the UK stereo album plus stereo outtakes and stereo remixes on the second disc, early versions, demos and BBC recordings on the third CD and a 24/96 hi-res version of US mono & stereo albums and bonus tracks on the fourth and final disc which is a blu-ray audio (full track listing confirmed below).

This info comes from a post on Bill Levenson’s Facebook page, so he’s clearly involved in the project. Not too many pre-order options at present although the current Amazon UK price of £49 equates to just US $51 (once VAT is deducted).

As you can see from the image above, this comes packaged in a large format book, no doubt with plenty of rare photos and liner notes.

Fresh Cream super deluxe edition will be released on 27 January 2017. A six-LP vinyl edition will follow in April next year.

Cream

10. TOAD 5:14
Session recording – mono mix:
11. THE COFFEE SONG 2:56
The Mono Singles:
12. WRAPPING PAPER 2:29
13. CAT’S SQUIRREL 3:01
A-side & B-side of Cream’s 1st UK single, Reaction 591007, released 7 October 1966.
14: I FEEL FREE 2:49
15: N.S.U. 2:45
A-side & B-side of Cream’s 2nd UK single, Reaction 591011, released 9 December 1966.
16. SPOONFUL Part I 2:26
17. SPOONFUL Part II 2:31
A-side & B-side of Cream’s 3rd US single, ATCO 45-6522, released September 1967.
The Mono French EPs:
18. WRAPPING PAPER alternate mix 2:25
19. SWEET WINE alternate mix 3:18
20. I’M SO GLAD 3:57
21. CAT’S SQUIRREL alternate master 3:01
FRENCH EP, Polydor 27 791, released November 1966.
22. I FEEL FREE alternate mix 2:48
23. ROLLIN’ AND TUMBLIN’ alternate master 1:50
24. N.S.U. 2:44
25. FOUR UNTIL LATE 2:06
FRENCH EP, Polydor 27 798, released November 1966.

Disc Two:
15. N.S.U. (NEW STEREO MIX) 2:48
16. WRAPPING PAPER (NEW STEREO MIX) 2:43
17. THE COFFEE SONG (NEW STEREO MIX) 3:06
18. ROLLIN’ AND TUMBLIN’ (FIRST VERSION – NEW STEREO MIX) 4:53
19. SPOONFUL (FIRST VERSION – NEW STEREO MIX) 5:57
20. TOAD (NEW STEREO MIX) 5:12
All new stereo mixes previously unreleased.

Disc Three:
FRESH CREAM Early versions, outtakes and alternate mixes:
1. THE COFFEE SONG early version 2:54
2. YOU MAKE ME FEEL session outtake 2:41
3. BEAUTY QUEEN session outtake 2:38
4. WRAPPING PAPER early version 1:05
5. CAT’S SQUIRREL early version 2:27
6. I FEEL FREE early version 3:08
7. I FEEL FREE mono mix with no lead vocal 2:51
8. I FEEL FREE alternate mono mix 2:50
9. SWEET WINE early version 3:07
10. ROLLIN’ AND TUMBLIN’ early version 4:35
11. TOAD early version 4:19
All tracks previously unreleased except “You Make Me Feel” which was first released
on the box set Those Where The Days, Polydor 314 539 000-2, in September 1997.

THE BBC SESSIONS (November 1966 – January 1967):

BBC Light Programme “Saturday Club” session
Recorded at the Playhouse Theatre, London, 10th January 1967:
24. ERIC CLAPTON INTERVIEW 2 0:48
25. I FEEL FREE 2:55
26. N.S.U. 2:57
27. FOUR UNTIL LATE 1:54

Disc Four (Blu-Ray Audio Disc)

FRESH CREAM US Stereo Album in 24/96 Hi Resolution Audio:

Mono bonus tracks:
24. SPOONFUL 6:33
25 WRAPPING PAPER 2:28
26 THE COFFEE SONG 2:54

24 responses to Cream / Fresh Cream super deluxe

1. Simon Taylor says:

My love for Clapton and Cream will probably suck me in BUT does depend what is included. The BBC stuff I already have so right now waiting to be convinced.

2. Robert says:

Wow- very cool. This was my favorite Cream album and Im kinda surprised they haven’t gone down the super deluxe in the past. Hopefully this is the start of more from Cream.

• Simon Taylor says:

The problem is the lack of outtakes, most of the useable tracks have been out on the box set and Disraeli Gears Deluxe Edition. I don’t believe there’s any professionally recorded live shows from 1966, only really ’67/’68 so there’s further live performances. Will take a look back at my Marc Roberty books, he’s listed all the available outtakes in his book from that era. I think its slim pickings unfortunately. Can’t imagine they’d do an SDE for Disraeli but perhaps Wheels of Fire would work.

• Philip Cohen says:

Don’t expect more Cream studio vault material. The “Fresh Cream” multitracks survived because they were recorded in England. The multitracks for the other Cream studio recordings were partly or totally recorded at Atlantic Studios in New York. Those tapes were lost in an Atlantic Records vault fire in the early 1970’s.
      Multitracks for the group’s 1968 concert recordings do exist, but are in the hands of a recording engineer who has an unreasonable asking price. Universal Music won’t pay big money for them because Universal has 2-track rough mixes of almost all of them. The live set list didn’t vary much. The unreleased Cream live recordings are interesting but somewhat redundant(albeit with different solos) versions of the same songs that appeared on “Live Cream Vols. 1 & 2″ and the live half of “Wheels of Fire”. At least four of those shows from the afformentioned rough mixes have appeared unofficially with full fidelity.

3. Javier says:

You can start updating release date, Paul :)

4. RD says:

I’d like to see a 2 disc version.

5. Peter says:

Yep super, agree could be the start of a trend. Wheeks of Fire could be awesome

6. Keith Wright says:

Bootlegs confirm there are tracks from this era.
    God save the bootleggers………again.

7. BritinDetroit says:

Worth a preorder on this and cruising to Detroit for 44 quid or about $55. Eric announced a very brief 2017 tour taking in the MSG and the Forum – bit of a long drive so I might have to just settle for the SDE.

Amazon.uk seems to be doing a better job on the international shipping getting My Generation and Ties that Bind delivered without the usual destruction

• Philip Cohen says:

My “My Generation” box only survived the rough handling by iParcel thanks to Universal Music’s protective carton, because Amazon.co.uk (as always) used a flimsy, poor quality carton that arrived (as always) crushed, and, in this instance torn at one end. There was no damage to the “My Generation” box.

8. Steve j says:

If you go to Amazon open up the picture of the Cream Box Set and you can read all or most of what’s on the 4 Discs

• Simon F says:

You must have bloody good eyesight to be able to read that. I could’nt even with a magnifying glass! But a set that will be worth keeping an eye on.

• Klaus says:

I had to literally put my nose on the screen, but Steve is right. Looks like mono-album plus other takes (singles and EP-versions) on disc 1, same in stereo on disc 2, several additional material (outtakes and alternate versions) on disc 3 and Hi-Res 24/96 of the album plus several other songs on the Blu-ray. Can’t spot anything of 5.1 though but that could be overlapped by disc 3 in the picture.

9. Dave H says:

Wonder if there’s any difference in the audio between the Blu-ray version and the Japanese SACD’s that’s been released.

10. Justin says:

Hopefully the Blu-Ray gets a standalone release, that’s what I’m really interested in.

11. Steve j says:

Quick update in reading what’s on the 4 disc’s
    If you have an I pad/Mac it’s pretty clear
    my I phone 5 not so good but the tracks are there

12. Alexander says:

Hello, the Austrian subsidiary company of Universal writes today, that the box set will be released this friday. It says: “Das Debüt-Album der legendären Cream gibt es jetzt als3CD+Blu-Ray Deluxe Edition inkl. neuen Stereo Mixes,Alternate Versions, unveröffentlichte BBC-Aufnahmen uvm.,plus einer Blu-Ray Audio für den ultimativen Hörgenuss!” Which reads as: “The debut LP of the legendary Cream is now available as 3CD+Blu-Ray Deluxe Edition incl. new Stereo mixes, alternate versions, unreleased BBC tracks plus Blu-Ray Audio for an ultimate sound experience.” There’s no tracklisting.

13. Philip Cohen says:

I ordered the set via your link and I look forward to it. The French E.P. alternate edits, mixes and takes were issued before(on Japanese SHM-CD’s or Platinum SHM-CD’s) but will be new to many collectors. Besides, those Japanese discs were limited edition and are long gone.
    I hope that Universal issues many more classic rock albums in this 12″ x 12″ book-in-slipcase format. I’ve already got the excellent sets that Universal issued for “Mike Oldfield-Tubular Bells”, “The Who-My Generation”, “The Who-Live at Leeds”, “The Who-Quadrophenia”, “Deep Purple-Made in Japan”and I’ll soon order “The Alan Parsons Project-Tales of Mystery & Imagination” set.
    Too bad that the proposed Chris Wood box couldn’t have been issued by Universal itself, assuring a reasonable price for fans and no outlandish $75 “courier delivery” fee.

14. xrey says:

I am ecstatic “Fresh Cream” is finally getting the treatment it deserves. The fact that this album is 50 years old, the Atlantic vault fire Philip mentioned, coupled with all of the other vault mishaps over the years (I read a 21 page article on this sad topic that makes the ABC Dunhill purge appear small) should make us all want to hang on to our original media indefinitely.

I never dreamed this would be seriously considered for a 4-disc SDE release. Plus it’s cheaper than today’s $118/$76/$49 prices on AMZ/US:

Also interesting are the new stereo remixes. Too bad they didn’t do a proper “punchy” stereo remix of “I Feel Free” that matches the power of the mono single version….

15. Mark McKendrick says:

Hate when the running order adds other stuff to the original program.
    Should have Mono and Stereo originals on one disc; singles, EP’s and versions on another; outakes and live on another.
    Makes one wonder who or what compiles these things and w.t.f is going on in their heads to want to come up with such hap-hazard program arrangement.
    It’s so thoughtless, pointless and inappropriate that it’s beyond novel.
    It’s so far beyond novel it’s almost quaint – quaint and near-derogatory and certainly disrespectful.

16. Wayne Klein says:

The bigger question is who is mastering this? I’d love just the Blu-Ray as I have the Japanese SHM release.

17. Wayne Klein says:

Nice to see the mono finally getting some love. The stereo mixes are a disaster compared to the mono. They are, essentially the two tracks before being mixed to mono with vocals and instruments placed in one channel or another robbing the music of much of its power.

18. Christopher Bloom says:

Any idea as to the coding of the blu-ray disc? I’d order this in a heartbeat if I knew that it would play in a U.S. player. Region coding is one of the worst ideas ever.

19. Pingback:Cream's Debut Album to Be Reissued in Four-Disc Deluxe Edition