Creedence Clearwater Revival / The Studio Albums Collection / 7LP vinyl box

All the albums • Half-speed mastered • High quality ‘tip-on’ sleeves

To mark the 50th anniversary of the band’s first album, Craft Recordings is to release The Studio Albums Collection, a new seven-LP Creedence Clearwater Revival vinyl box set.

The box set features all seven albums – Creedence Clearwater Revival (1968), Bayou Country (1969), Green River (1969), Willy and the Poor Boys (1969), Cosmo’s Factory (1970), Pendulum (1970) and Mardi Gras (1972) – mastered at half-speed at Abbey Road Studios. As well as the records (which are housed in ‘tip-on’ jackets replicating the packaging of the original pressings) The Studio Albums Collection includes an 80-page book featuring archive photos, images of memorabilia and new sleeve notes from Roy Trakin.

The half-speeds were cut using high-res transfers from the original analog tapes, and this process was carried out by Miles Showell, who is the half-speed specialist at Abbey Road. He said “I’ve tried to be as authentic as I could, and just make it sound like music. Not over-hyped, not over-processed. Up until now a lot of processing has been done on these recordings, so my approach was to strip them right back and just expose them for what they are — because what they are is great music.”

There was a previous vinyl box in 2014 but this wasn’t half-speed mastered, didn’t include a book and is now out-of-print and very expensive to get hold of.

The Studio Albums Collection is released on 30 November 2018.

Creedence Clearwater Revival

The Studio Album Collection 7LP vinyl box

Albums in the box. The quotations are extracts from the sleeve notes in the book.

Creedence Clearwater Revival (1968)

“Released in the summer of 1968, Creedence Clearwater Revival begins with the faint sound of gongs, then the rat-a-tat of Doug “Cosmo” Clifford’s snare drum before John’s snarling take on Screamin’ Jay Hawkins’ “I Put a Spell on You,” announcing the arrival of an important new rock ’n’ roll voice.”

Side A:

1. I Put a Spell on You
  2. The Working Man
  3. Suzie Q

Side B:

1. Ninety Nine (And a Half Won’t Do)
  2. Get Down Woman
  3. Porterville
  4. Gloomy
  5. Walk on the Water

Bayou Country (1969)

“Instead of delving into the underground,” Fogerty told Uncut’s Bud Scoppa, “…my Elvis-and-Beatles upbringing came directly into play. And I was able to write songs that would go on Top 40 radio, because that’s what I had wanted to do since I was four. I wanted to make hit singles.”

Side A:

1. Born on the Bayou
  2. Bootleg
  3. Graveyard Train

Side B:

1. Good Golly Miss Molly
  2. Penthouse Pauper
  3. Proud Mary
  4. Keep on Chooglin’

Green River (1969)

“The album became the band’s first chart-topper, lodging at #1 on the Billboard 200 for the entire month of October, in between Blind Faith and Abbey Road, fulfilling their ambition to become the American Beatles.”

Side A:

1. Green River
  2. Commotion
  3. Tombstone Shadow
  4. Wrote a Song for Everyone

Side B:

1. Bad Moon Rising
  2. Lodi
  3. Cross-tie Walker
  4. Sinister Purpose
  5. The Night Time Is the Right Time

Willy and the Poor Boys (1969)

“It’s a very powerful anti-war message, but even more so, it’s an anti-class-bias message,” Fogerty told Uncut’s Bud Scoppa in 2006. “When I sing it now, it still has teeth.”

Side A:

1. Down on the Corner
  2. It Came Out of the Sky
  3. Cotton Fields
  4. Poorboy Shuffle
  5. Feelin’ Blue

Side B:

1. Fortunate Son
  2. Don’t Look Now (It Ain’t You or Me)
  3. The Midnight Special
  4. Side O’ the Road
  5. Effigy

Cosmo’s Factory (1970)

“Cosmo’s Factory represents the apogee of Creedence Clearwater Revival, playing like a greatest hits album despite the fact the songs (and covers) are all appearing on disc for the first time…”

Side A:

1. Ramble Tamble
  2. Before You Accuse Me
  3. Travelin’ Band
  4. Ooby Dooby
  5. Lookin’ Out My Back Door
  6. Run Through the Jungle

Side B:

1. Up Around the Bend
  2. My Baby Left Me
  3. Who’ll Stop the Rain
  4. I Heard It Through the Grapevine
  5. Long As I Can See the Light

Pendulum (1970)

“With Pendulum, the band decided to experiment in the manner of Sgt. Pepper, without any preconceived ideas, which ran against Fogerty’s notions of organization and control…”

Side A:

1. Pagan Baby
  2. Sailor’s Lament
  3. Chameleon
  4. Have You Ever Seen the Rain?
  5. (Wish I Could) Hideaway

Side B:

1. Born to Move
  2. Hey Tonight
  3. It’s Just a Thought
  4. Molina
  5. Rude Awakening #2

Mardi Gras (1972)

“…the now-threesome went into the studio in the spring of 1971 to record a new single, “Sweet Hitch-Hiker,” with the B-side a song written and sung by Stu Cook, “Door to Door,” an amiable rockabilly number. “Sweet Hitch-Hiker” would be the band’s last Top 10 single, reaching #6 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Side A:

1. Lookin’ for a Reason
  2. Take It Like a Friend
  3. Need Someone to Hold
  4. Tearin’ Up the Country
  5. Someday Never Comes

Side B:

1. What Are You Going to Do
  2. Sail Away
  3. Hello Mary Lou
  4. Door to Door
  5. Sweet Hitch-Hiker

26 responses to Creedence Clearwater Revival / The Studio Albums Collection / 7LP vinyl box

1. Robert W. says:

This is certainly an attractive package. Half-speed mastering can produce impressive results on vinyl, but that is only the case when the pressing quality is up to snuff. I have the Analogue Productions CCR vinyl box from a few years back, so I won’t be going for this version. Perhaps someone who posts here will be in a position when this is released to compare/contrast the two sets.

2. Noel says:

It’s the American proccess of pasting a slick on to a cardboard sleeve. Could never understand why they preferred this process to ours, which is aesthetically more pleasing and presumably less labour intensive.

• Mylene says:

printing covers for both mono and stereo albums was easier with a paste-over cover. Later they printed the stereo on the top and mono on the bottom and wrapped it around the cover pasting the rear cover over either the mono or stereo depending which format the record was in.

That’s why an expert can tell if The Velvet Underground and Nico is mono just by looking at the front cover.

3. Mylene says:

These albums sold a squillion in Australia. You can get as many originals on Liberty and repressing on Fantasy as you can shake a stick at. The only people tempted at this would be lotto winners.

4. Paul Wren says:

The previous 2014 CCR box set is available from £115, ie cheaper than this new half speed remastered edition: https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/6433538?ev=rb

5. tosh says:

Can you please explain to me what a “tip-on” sleeve is. Sorry for the ignorant ?
    It’s an old-style sleeve where the the cover art is not printed directly on the surface of the cardboard sleeve, but instead is printed on an outer layer of paper.

Like they did in the 50/60s

Not AAA , 24bit/96 hz USB source with cutting lathe at 1/2 speed & basically a hard copy of a HiRez file

Not like they did in 50/60s

6. AlexKx says:

I still don’t understand what a “tip on” jacket is… :(

• Guy.S says:

Hi, a “tip on” sleeve is an old style sleeve where the image isn’t printed directly on the surface of the cardboard sleeve, but is printed on an outside layer of paper then stuck to the card, if you look at the back of a tip on sleeve you’ll see where the front paper folds over the corners. This was taken from Discogs forums, just found this out myself after seeing this term for years!

• Paul Wren says:

A tip on jacket refers to the artwork being printed on a sheet of paper and then glued on to the jacket/sleeve itself as opposed to the artwork being printed direct onto the sleeve itself.

7. Fredster says:

Can it top the analogue production box set that was pressed at Quality Records ? I seriously doubt it…

8. SimonP says:

Isn’t’ ‘I Heard It Through the Grapevine’ about 11 minutes long? And then it’s included in one side of vinyl along with four other tracks on a supposedly audiophile release. I’ll pass.

9. Please tell me: Bad Moon Rising / Lodi / Good Golly Miss Molly / Penthouse Pauper / Proud Mary here in full Wide Stereo Mix?
    Thanks

10. Kevin Wollenweber says:

Ah me, I sure wish that they’d let us CD collectors have a crack at this! I would love to have mini-LP packages of each album. I do have a previous CD box, and I am glad that that one included the live album, something that I don’t think that this one includes.

11. Francois says:

I bought all of these for 9€ each (except mardi gras) in a recent “Back to Black” reissue. These are 180g+ vinyls cut from original masters and they sound great. the box looks great, and around 100€ I would have made my banker scream a little louder
    So unfortunately for Creedence, I will pass on those.

12. CJ Feeney says:

Is this the set that Acoustic Sounds put out on audiophile vinyl and SACD a few years ago?

No it isn’t.

• CJ Feeney says:

My New Year’s Resolutions will include “Must read to the end of a post before replying”

The Analogue Productions SACDs are all available at Acoustic Sounds for $30 each. No big booklet obviously, but if aupdiophile sound is your bag, that’s he same price as these vinyl records.

13. AAA says:

what’s the point in half speed mastered when they can’t be bothered to have a fully analogue chain?
    £24 an album if you ignore the lavish box & fantastic book, bargain!
    works out even more per album when you meltdown mardi gras to use it as an ashtray.

• Richard says:

You can’t melt it down for an ashtray as you would loose 2 great songs.
      Should have been a 12 ” single Sweet Hitch-Hiker b/w Someday Never Comes

• Jarmo Keranen says:

I’ll add also Lookin’ for a Reason. It’s a third great composition in Mardi Gras from John Fogerty!

• Mike the Fish says:

Tape head bandwidth and so on with analogue, micromanagement with digital, etc.

14. Tim Abbott says:

I don’t think even a tip-on sleeve would make me shell out any more on Mardi Gras.