Curiosity Killed The Cat / Misfits: The Mercury Years 1986-1990

Curiosity Killed The Cat / Misfits: The Mercury Years 1986-1990

Pre-order an exclusive SIGNED edition of the new SDE-curated box

Misfits: The Mercury Years 1986-1990 is a new four-CD box set featuring eighties British pop band Curiosity Killed The Cat. Two and a half years in the making, this set has been compiled by SDE Editor Paul Sinclair and has been put together with the cooperation of the band. It will be released in September.

Curiosity Killed The Cat were fronted by the charismatic Ben Volpeliere-Pierrot and they enjoyed a number one album and a string of hits in the late 1980s, including Down To Earth, Ordinary Day, Name and Number and Misfit. The promo video for the latter was memorably filmed by – and co-starred – Andy Warhol, who took a shine to the band and invited them over to New York in 1986.

This new box set is a comprehensive exploration of the band’s classic era with Mercury Records and includes newly expanded versions of both 1987’s Keep Your Distance and Getahead (from 1989), with two further CDs of rare/unreleased remixes along with unheard songs and demos.

In total, 20 tracks are issued on CD for the very first time and amongst the 12 previously unheard demos are five songs never officially released. To top things off, this set includes two unheard mixes of the band’s biggest hit Down To Earth that were discovered in the archive while putting this set together!

The Mercury Years features newly mastered audio. All the demos were from the original quarter inch tapes, and the audio from the rest of this box set comes from various sources, including more quarter-inch reels, half-inch tapes, Umatics and similar. Most of the tapes were baked and transferred at Abbey Road Studios.

This package includes a 24-page booklet with notes by Record Collector Editor, Paul Lester, featuring a new interview with the band’s Mig Drummond.

You won’t be disappointed with this project, which has been put together with the same care and attention of previous SDE-curated reissues from the last few years such as the Sam Brown The A&M Years 1988-1990 five-disc box, the two-CD deluxe of It’s Immaterial‘s Life’s Hard And Then You Die and Paul Young‘s Tomb of Memories: The CBS Years 1982-1994 (four CD set).

A limited edition (1000 only) of this new box set will come with an art card SIGNED by frontman Ben Volpeliere-Pierrot. These are exclusive to the SDE shop and will not be available anywhere else. Once they are gone, that’s it!!

Curiosity Killed The Cat’s Misfits: The Mercury Years 1986-1990 will be released on 21 September 2018 via Caroline International. Secure your SIGNED edition by pre-ordering via the SDE shop, or even easier, you can simply checkout and buy using the button below!

Misfits: The Mercury Years 1986-1990

CD 1: Keep Your Distance + bonus tracks

1. Misfit
2. Down To Earth
3. Free
4. Know What You Know
5. Curiosity Killed The Cat
6. Ordinary Day
7.Mile High
8. Red Lights
9. Shallow Memory
10. Misfit (extended mix)
11. Man*
12. Corruption (dub)*
13. Down To Earth (extended mix)
14. Ordinary Day (extraordinary mix)
15. Bullet
16. Free (dub master)*

* Previously unreleased on CD

CD 2: Getahead + bonus tracks

1. Name and Number
2. Do Your Believin’
3. Cascade
4. First Place
5. We Just Gotta Do it (For Us)
6. Go Go Ahead
7. Trees Don’t Grown On Money
8. Treat You So Well
9. Who Are You
10. Security Lady
11. Something New, Something Blue
12. Keep On Trying
13. Name and Number (extended mix)*
14. Ball and Chain
15. Name and Number (club sandwich mix)*
16. Misfit (Jazzy Dub Remix ‘89)
17. Name and Number (a schizo version)*
18. Name and Number (jazzy dub version)*

* Previously unreleased on CD

CD 3: Remixes, Edits & Dubs

1. Down To Earth (7” version)
2. Ordinary Day (ordinary version)*
3. Misfit (extended mix)*
4. Ordinary Day (extended version)*
5. Mile High (mile long mix)
6. Name and Number (version)*
7. Ordinary Day (version)
8. Misfit (dub)*
9. Down To Earth (instrumental)*
10. Ordinary Day (dub mix)*
11. Misfit (morales extended mix)*
12. Free (instrumental)*
13. Misfit (dub mix)*
14. Cascade (dub mix)**

* Previously unreleased on CD
** Previously unreleased

CD 4: Remixes, Demos & Outtakes

1. Free (free style )
2. Name and Number (hanging on person to person)
3. Free (free form)*
16. Out Of Curiosity (demo)**
17. Hidden Informer (demo)**
18. Down To Earth (remix)**
19. Down To Earth (instrumental remix)**

** Previously unreleased
* Previously unreleased on CD

102 responses to Curiosity Killed The Cat / Misfits: The Mercury Years 1986-1990

1. steve says:

i just ordered it.
    When is the real
    ease/ship date?

2. MaLisa says:

Can this be shipped to the US?

3. Griffin says:

@Paul, thank you very much. Excellent job. This is one of my favourite band of the time. I played the tape of their debut album to death. Then I bought the CD to replace it. Also played a lot. There are many demo’s here. But I look pass that because there many more mixes I haven’t got yet. I guess I don’t have to check on discogs this time. Since you have done excellent jobs on other projects like this.

4. MannyC says:

Hello, since this is remastered from the original tapes will it sounds good not too loud or brickwalled?
    Thanks

5. regan judson says:

Signed edition ordered!!!! Looks great Paul! Your work on the Paul Young set was fantastic!

6. Joe says:

Looks good Paul. Great to see all those hard to find remixes on this, there is plenty. I think some of them were vinyl only. Would have been nice to have their third album too but assume that is with a different label. Maybe we will get a separate Deluxe of that.

I have to say I never thought this would happen after the Cherry Pop release, so it’s a good surprise.

7. Nigel Quinless says:

A great set that would be finished off to perfection with a dvd of videos and TOTP performances

8. Caroline Eades says:

Order placed! What a great price for this set, I was also lucky enough to get the signed Paul Young set which is excellent. I love SDE, keep up the good work.

9. Francis says:

Will ‘non-signed’ editions be available? I would pre-order but only signed available on the buying page.

10. Larry Davis says:

It’s funny…I always confused this band with another Mercury-signed 80s UK band Love Or Money… But this set looks nice… If it’s as good as the Paul Young box, I’m in…with preorders, do you collect funds upfront or when dispatched like Amazon?? One quibble about the PY set tho, Paul, with each track, you list every one copyright 2015 and not the original sources or release years, so that gets confusing… Got my copy signed by Paul himself recently when i saw a double bill i my town of him and Midge Ure…killer gig…and just saw this gig called Retro Futura with ABC, Belinda Carlisle, Modern English, Tony Lewis from the Outfield, Limahl and Annabella from Bow Wow Wow…

With Paul Young, there got to a point where I just had to let Sony get on with it, in terms of notes and design etc.

• juzzyb says:

Well, now you have mentioned Love and Money… their first album deffo needs a reissue with all of the 12″ mixes and b sides.

11. Eamonn says:

What are Caroline like to work for?

This is now my third project with Caroline, which should speak volumes. A fourth project is already under way and with a bit of luck should come out next year (Curiosity took more than two years!)

12. Schu says:

Never heard of them. That being said, I have discovered a few really cool U.K. based bands through SDE that I had never heard of. Need to check this out quick and make a decision. Looks to be comprehensive and at a nice price.

13. LaurentC says:

Hi Paul,

Thank u very much for this great work! Already ordered! One of my favorite band! Just need to know why no sign of “relax (take it slow)”, for me one of the best singles of cktc and why not having the fifth cd with cktc live from the Camden palace (issued on dvd)? One more time, thank u so much for this box set.

14. Nigel M says:

Ordered! Interested to know if the original album tracks are remastered from quarter inch reels.

15. OMAR says:

Paul, how will the packaging be on the boxset? digipak,casebound book or jewelcase?

Clamshell box set, with four discs in card sleeves plus 24-page booklet. The limited signed set includes the signed card which will be separate from the sealed box.

16. negative1 says:

excellent work paul,

i’ve always thought this band was underrated.

i have all the early singles, and remixes from the first album,
    and its nice to see them coming to cd.

i just got the 2nd album a few months ago, and it’s terrible compared
    to the first one. and even the singles and mixes are quite subpar
    compared to the ones from the first album. quite gimmicky and
    poorly made. (name and number especially).

since i’m a fan of the band, i’ll be getting it anyways, and will probably
    listen to the second set of tracks once, and file it away.

i know the first album and mixes will get a lot more playtime.

later

• Trash says:

Give it a bit more of a chance – I was originally disappointed with it when it come out but now I find I play it a lot more than I play their first.

17. Glen Buchanan says:

HI Paul- I can’t get the Bananarama page. Even if the set isn’t available in North America could we please see the page? I have friends in England who sometimes get things for me that I can’t purchase over here. (Lots of T.Rex goodies!) Thank you!

18. Markus says:

Ordered myself a copy. Looks like a really interesting collection, plus autograph … perfect! :)

Any chance for an interview with Ben VP? I would love to know what he did all these years and if there is a chance for some new material.

Thanks! I have interviewed Ben actually. That will be published on SDE probably in early Sep.

19. EPM says:

@musicfan: A thorough Go West reissue or compilation is needed. Such as complete 12″ mixes (why release these without the intros, for example) and the great track “Let’s Build a Boat”. Now wondering if Paul thinks there may be sufficient interest in curating the Sony-owned Curiosity material? In the meantime, let’s make sure SDE’s growing catalogue receives impressive support.

20. Patrick says:

Looks great! I wrote the sleeve notes a few years ago when the debut was reissued on Cherry Red. That reissue didn’t offer much in terms of extras than the original CD issue though. Underrated band. Lots of cool songs. Would love to see similar SDE work on bands like Simply Red and/or Prefab Sprout.

21. Muscum says:

So happy to see this. If CKTC merit a 4 disc set, maybe there is still hope that all those personal favourite but unsuccessful bands may get a re-release.

My request is for the Piranhas album (Sire) to finally get a modern release on cd. With extra tracks like the unreleased Two Time Sally please.

22. MARK LEVY says:

Personally I think this is a bit desperate as I only know a handful of Curiosity Killed The Cat records. A single compilation would have been enough for me.

There is a single disc compilation available… obviously this has been created for people who *would* like more than that! It’s not an either/or situation.

23. juzzyb says:

Is Ordinary Day (Version) the one from the Beat Runs Wild Comp? This is not a deal breaker, just a nerdy question.

No, it’s from the 2015 greatest hits which accidentally used some weird alternate and not the single version. Ben pointed out to me that the version from the Beats Run Wild Comp is actually the demo on CD 4… so I guess technically that has been released before!

24. James Pigg says:

This is great, but I really wanted to hear that Super Deluxe Edition had been working for two years on a Wham! Box set :-(
    However this will do for starters……

25. Steven says:

Was never much in to Curiosity, but for those that were this looks like a fantastic release….

Go West next, please, Paul :)

• MusicFan says:

I asked Go West about releasing expanded / deluxe editions and they said there wasn’t anything they would want to release.

However, I feel their first album could do with a remaster and there are many remixes from that era not on CD.

So if they could be persuaded perhaps that would be a good start.

Back to Curiosity now…

• Branny says:

On the subject of Go West. Were there just the two remixes of “We close our eyes” (Bangs and Crashes and the 12″version) on its original release? I may be mistaken but I was convinced that there was a ltd edition remix on 12″ available at the time (as with a lot of singles of the era).

• mike says:

I have a feeling there is more from the Dancing on the Couch sessions, For example why did it take 7 years for another version of Masque Of Love to appear. not to mention the King is Dead live EP could do with a release. Bet there are other mixes of the singles too.

• Neil says:

Dancing on the Couch is a brilliant album and much more mature sounding than their debut album which i do look like as well. In response to Branny there were only two original 12 inch mixes of “We close our eyes” Total Overhang Mix and the Complete Underhang Mix and trying to find the latter mix on CD was rigorous indeed. The mixes that haven’t appeared on CD before are of Don’t Look Down and Eye To Eye i believe it would be nice if we could get remasters and how brilliant a guitar player was Alan Murphy sadly missed.

I thought Vinny Vero was working with Go West on possible reissues… not sure if is still happening and/or what the status is.

• Neil says:

I read that somewhere about Vinny Vero doing Go West as well. Looks like he is working on Wang Chung reissues which is great news.

• Steven says:

Re Go West:- if they can’t see the benefit in an expanded remaster of their first album at least, then they are missing a trick – their debut could *easily* be expanded to a four disc set….

On my iPod I have enough remixes from the first album alone to put together a great two disc set. True, a number of these are from the Bangs and Crashes remix comp, but there are a number of seven inch and promo (re)mixes (and a missing b-side) that could/should be included.

Add in the full live concert from which the Bangs and Crashes live tracks are culled and you have a three disc set.

Add a DVD with the promo videos, plus a 96/24 HD version of the track (and a 5.1 mix if they’re feeling flush) and – voila! – a four disc set.

See? Easy :)

26. Kauwgompie says:

Congratulations Paul!! This is outstanding!! Very, very well done. So glad that the output of bands like Curiosity Killed The Cat are not lost. Can’t wait to hear all the remixes and even the instrumental “Down To earth”. We all know “Keep Your Distance” but “Getahead” is a great record as well. Thank you!!

27. Steve Joyce says:

Another great release ably curated by Paul – SDE is my ‘go to’ site these days. looking forward to this big stylie!

28. Trash says:

Loved this band. They were mentioned in a recent Sophisti-pop article in Classic Pop magazine which prompted me to pick up their albums again on Vinyl (having got rid of them ages ago). Very glad I did as both albums feature some real gems.

Looking forward to the box set.
    I’d love to order from the SDE shop Paul but I have a problem with delivery addresses as I am living between London and Paris. Ordering from Amazon allows me to change delivery addresses right up to the wire depending on where I am going to be.

29. Alessandro says:

Hi Paul, great job!
    Just ordered from Italy and looking forward to receiving it!

30. EPM says:

Hello, Paul,

Does the “tracked & signed” shipping method afford the package any additional protection?
    Not clear on this, other than the signature requirement. Nice choice, Curiosity. And thank you. Missed out on the signed Paul Young, so not gonna delay on this one. Great job on the most excellent It’s Immaterial also.

Not really, but they will all well packed anyway. Thanks for positive vibes!

• Bryan says:

Just a FYI, I ordered the Sam Brown box from SDE to the States and it was incredibly well packed and arrived in pristine condition. I think you can order with confidence from Paul!

31. Rickjapan says:

Was always on the fence with this band, but with Paul curating and for this price, I’m in! Just placed my order ^^

Just got Tom Bailey’s Science Fiction special edition, a great blast from the eighties past, and no product issues for me, although there seem to have been some problems.

Matt Bianco’s Indigo 3CD set should be coming soon, too, I’m certainly doing well on the music stakes!!

Then there’s Claudia Brucken and Jerome Froese’s Beginn and the new Hipsway album from Pledgemusic…..

So good to be able to keep in touch with these musicians from “my age”

Thanks Paul, too, for helping to make it possible

32. Chris Squires says:

Nice work…. especially considering it’s only two albums. I would kill for this type of work to happen for TinTin Duffy the Virgin years….. especially if they could cross license the earlier WEA material.

Some groups have all the luck…..hope it’s a smash for you Paul

33. Graeme Black says:

Looks a must buy Paul!

34. Igor says:

Absolutely great and complete work for one of my favourite albums from 80s! I will buy it for sure, can’t wait… Paul, is there only that 1000 signed copies for the whole sale ever or amazon will sales more unsigned copies later? Thanks!

35. Jan says:

I only hope, that ORIGINAL DYNAMICS are preserved! so no clipping no brickwalling, please!

36. Kevin M says:

The John Cale, Tones on Tail, and Sparks catalogues could do with your fine work, to name but three!

37. dj says:

25 quid for a signed 4 disc edition????

SOLD!!!

38. Andrew says:

What a great sounding set. One thing I always wonder about sets like this is why there isn’t a DVD included of the artist’s videos. Is it a case of it being just too expensive to include or is there just no consumer demand/interest anymore?

I did do that for Sam Brown, but it adds a surprising amount of cost and throws a few ‘unknowns’ into the mix and I think there needs to be a super-compelling reason. Getting this Curiosity box set to the point of completion without it was hard enough!!

39. Brent Keefe says:

Hi Paul, Are there full musician credits on this box set. I am always interested to know who played on recordings and, often on re-issues, this info is still not presented. Do you know if there are any previously unreleased tracks which feature drummer Jeff Porcaro? I beleive he played on ‘Cascade’, ‘Trees Don’t Grow On Money’ and ‘Who Are You’ on Getahead. Thanks.

40. Enrico G. says:

Not a fan theirs, but this is amazing.
    Well done, Paul!
    Cheers from Italy.

41. MusicFan says:

WOW, this is off the scale! I’m really very excited about this!

The track list is simply mind blowing!!

It’s awesome to see a mix from the aborted Cascade single and it’s great to see Wag on here – their reference to the Wag club they played at in their very early days!

It would be amazing to hear about anything you didn’t use, as this would complete the musical story!

THANK YOU!

42. Anselm Lee says:

I ask you this from time to time. Will you please add South Korea to the list of countries where you send stuff? This is an OECD country with an advanced delivery system in place.

43. Phil G. says:

Great tracklisting and purchased straightaway – I’ve not been disappointed with an SDE-curated box set yet.

Also kudos to Ben for doing a PROPER SIGNATURE :)

44. Jason says:

Paul, Is it shipped to HONG KONG? Thanks!

45. Gareth says:

Whether a fan or not, you can’t argue with the price! I saw Ben a couple of months ago appearing on Channel 4’s First Dates! With my hazy memory, I could never tell which came first – Curiosity’s Name And Number or the De La Soul track. So I looked it up, and De La Soul came after. I hope Ben and the boys made good royalties from that?!

46. Karl says:

Would have ordered but no shipping to Thailand. Will have to wait til it appears on Amazon.

47. JC says:

Always a real pleasure to see your latest project Paul. Based on your other work, I just have to order this as the others were so well done. A huge amount of work no doubt – well done!

48. Mike the Fish says:

Is the Scratch Mix of Misfit in there under a different title?

Unfortunately, that was the one that got away. Couldn’t find a tape of it anywhere. It’s actually a rather horrible remix (quite amateurish in places), so didn’t want to break the no vinyl rip rule just for that :)

49. Neil Hunt says:

Looks good. I love these complete collections. Any reason why Relax (Take It Slow) was overlooked? This was included on the 1990 Pickwick “Their Very Best” compilation and credited as copyright Phonogram 1990. Also, how is it packaged – Fatbox or card case?

• Neil says:

Bit confused about that song as looking on Discogs it was released on a 12 inch promo in 1993 which i assume was the original release yet it’s on that Their Very Best compilation from 1990 ???

50. Mike the Fish says:

Nice to see a decent price on a multi disc set!

51. Mark Franklin says:

Hi Paul, this set looks incredible, thank you for the work you’ve done. Is track 10 on CD1 any different from track 3 on CD3? Am ordering regardless, I’m just wondering.

thanks :) Yes, they are two different ‘extended mixes’!! There are two different Misfit dub mixes, too!

52. Steven Robertson says: