Curtis Mayfield / Keep On Keeping On: Studio Albums 1970-1974

Newly remastered albums • Vinyl and CD box sets

Soul legend Curtis Mayfield‘s first four solo albums are collected in a new box set called Keep On Keeping On: Studio Albums 1970-1974.

The audio has been newly remastered and the albums in question are Curtis (1970), Roots (1971), Back to the World (1973) and Sweet Exorcist (1974). Thankfully, this set is being made available on both vinyl and CD.

“Curtis Mayfield was my husband and we were a team, so it’s an especially happy occasion to see these songs featured in a new boxed set on what would be Curtis’ 50th anniversary as a solo artist,” says his widow, Altheida Mayfield. “He passed 20 years ago this year and the family has and continues to lovingly support and share his musical legacy with the world.”

Keep On Keeping On: Studio Albums 1970-1974 will be released on 22 February 2019.

Curtis Mayfield

Keep On Keeping On: The Studio Albums 1970-1974 - 4LP vinyl box

Curtis Mayfield

Keep On Keeping On: The Studio Albums 1970-1974 - 4CD box set

Curtis (1970)

“(Don’t Worry) If There’s A Hell Below, We’re All Going To Go”
“The Other Side Of Town”
“The Makings Of You”
“We The People Who Are Darker Than Blue”
“Move On Up”
“Miss Black America”
“Wild And Free”
“Give It Up”

Roots (1971)

“Get Down”
“Keep On Keeping On”
“Underground”
“We Got To Have Peace”
“Beautiful Brother Of Mine”
“Now You’re Gone”
“Love To Keep You In My Mind”

Back to the World (1973)

“Back To The World”
“Future Shock”
“Right On For The Darkness”
“Future Song (Love A Good Woman, Love A Good Man)”
“If I Were Only A Child Again”
“Can’t Say Nothin’”
“Keep On Trippin’”

Sweet Exorcist (1974)

“Ain’t Got Time”
“Sweet Exorcist”
“To Be Invisible”
“Power To The People”
“Kung Fu”
“Suffer”
“Make Me Believe In You”

12 responses to Curtis Mayfield / Keep On Keeping On: Studio Albums 1970-1974

1. fenwick says:

Curtis is in my top three songwriters pantheon with Smokey Robinson and Paul Simon.

I saw the headline about a Curtis box and my heart leapt out of my throat. Bonus tracks? 5.1 mixes?

Nope….. Nothing……

As others have said – the existing releases of these CDs already had bonus tracks and sounded fine. Happy for those who get to experience this music for the first time. But for a 50th anniversary nod, this kinda stinks…..

2. Robert Laversuch says:

Got these with bonus tracks years ago but for anyone not familiar with the man and his solo work a good starting point.

3. Marc says:

Sadly the great album “There’s No Place Like America Today” from 1975 isnt’ included. A box from 1970-1975 would be a strong buy.

4. RJS says:

Four superb albums, with ‘Back To The World’ being my favourite. I’ve always loved the arrangements on his early solo albums and he was an outstanding lyricist. It’s a pity they didn’t include any extras so I won’t be buying this because I have them on CD already. They sound fine and I have the deluxe edition of ‘Curtis’. An apt quote from elsewhere “If you don’t know Curtis, you don’t know soul. If you don’t love Curtis, you have no soul”

5. Roy says:

I can’t believe “Super Fly” isn’t included !?
    How about “Claudine” and “Got to Find a Way”?
    These were also studio albums from 1972 and 1974…..

6. Alex Stassi says:

Or for a tenner you can get all these albums plus “Curtis Live” included on Amazon as a 5cd box set….the forthcoming box set is however gonna be remastered.

7. AndyF says:

Four of the greatest soul albums ever made. It would be nice if the reissue of “Roots” was to include the fold-out 1971-1972 astrological calendar which came with original album.

8. El Nino says:

Good price. This one is a no-brainer must have for me on CD.

9. Simon Evans says:

I only have Sweet Exorcist on vinyl (and it still sounds magnificent to me) so I am interested, but, surely, a missed chance here to round up a disc (or two) of rarities to entice those who may already have these…

I snagged the excellent double vinyl version of the Superfly soundtrack from Sainsbury’s a few years ago and the second disc is almost as good as the first.

10. Sideline Sam says:

I can dig this box set of the sweet soul sounds of my main man Curtis. It’s too bad these are not being given the royal treatment of high resolution like the recent Superfly MOFI release which is superb.