David Bowie / Bowie Legacy

A new David Bowie compilation, Bowie Legacy, will be released in November which includes all the familiar hits, one unreleased track and brings things up-to-date by including two singles from Blackstar.

Available on CD, 2CD deluxe and 2LP editions all versions of Bowie Legacy will include a previously unreleased version of one of David’s best loved songs Life On Mars, newly mixed by it’s original producer Ken Scott.

Bowie Legacy uses lots of single mixes, of interest to collectors will be the radio edits of both Lazarus and I Can’t Give Everything Away (the latter is 2CD only) neither of which have been commercially released on the CD format.

Bowie Legacy is released on both CD editions on 11 November, with the double vinyl edition coming later on 7 January 2017.

David Bowie

Bowie Legacy - 2CD Deluxe

Shop Price GBP Stock

David Bowie

Bowie Legacy - 2LP Vinyl

Shop Price GBP Stock

David Bowie

Bowie Legacy - CD Edition

Shop Price GBP Stock

• 1/ Let’s Dance (single version) (4.08)
  • 2/ Ashes To Ashes (single version) (3.35)
  • 3/ Under Pressure – Queen & David Bowie (4.04)
  • 4/ Life On Mars? (2016 mix) (3.37)
  • 5/ Changes (3.35)
  • 6/ Oh! You Pretty Things (3.11)
  • 7/ The Man Who Sold The World (3.58)
  • 8/ Space Oddity (5.12)
  • 9/ Starman (original single mix) (4.12)
  • 10/ Ziggy Stardust (3.12)
  • 11/ The Jean Genie (original single mix) (4.05)
  • 12/ Rebel Rebel (4.30)
  • 13/ Golden Years (single version) (3.27)
  • 14/ Dancing In The Street – David Bowie & Mick Jagger (3.11)
  • 15/ China Girl (single version) (4.15)
  • 16/ Fame (4.16)
  • 17/ Sound And Vision (3.03)
  • 18/ ‘Heroes’ (single version) (3.33)
  • 19/ Where Are We Now? (4.09)
  • 20/ Lazarus (radio edit) (4.05)

• 1/ Space Oddity (5.12)
  • 2/ The Man Who Sold The World (3.58)
  • 3/ Changes (3.35)
  • 4/ Oh! You Pretty Things (3.11)
  • 5/ Life On Mars? (2016 mix) (3.37)
  • 6/ Starman (original single mix) (4.12)
  • 7/ Ziggy Stardust (3.12)
  • 8/ Moonage Daydream (4.40)
  • 9/ The Jean Genie (original single mix) (4.05)
  • 10/ All The Young Dudes (3.09)
  • 11/ Drive-In Saturday (4.29)
  • 12/ Sorrow (2.53)
  • 13/ Rebel Rebel (4.30)
  • 14/ Young Americans (original single edit) (3.14)
  • 15/ Fame (4.16)
  • 16/ Golden Years (single version) (3.27)
  • 17/ Sound And Vision (3.03)
  • 18/ ‘Heroes’ (single version) (3.33)
  • 19/ Boys Keep Swinging (3.17)
  • 20/ Ashes To Ashes (single version) (3.35)
  • 21/ Fashion (single version) (3.25)

CD 2:

• 1/ Under Pressure – Queen & David Bowie (4.04)
  • 2/ Let’s Dance (single version) (4.08)
  • 3/ China Girl (single version) (4.15)
  • 4/ Modern Love (single version) (3.56)
  • 5/ Blue Jean (3.11)
  • 6/ This Is Not America – with The Pat Metheny Group (3.51)
  • 7/ Dancing In The Street – David Bowie & Mick Jagger (3.11)
  • 8/ Absolute Beginners (edit) (4.46)
  • 9/ Jump They Say (radio edit) (3.53)
  • 10/ Hallo Spaceboy (PSB Remix) – with The Pet Shop Boys (4.23)
  • 11/ Little Wonder (edit) (3.40)
  • 12/ I’m Afraid Of Americans (V1 edit) (4.25)
  • 13/ Thursday’s Child (radio edit) (4.25)
  • 14/ Slow Burn (radio edit) (3.57)
  • 15/ Everyone Says ‘Hi’ (edit) (3.29)
  • 16/ New Killer Star (radio edit) (3.42)
  • 17/ Where Are We Now? (4.09)
  • 18/ Lazarus (radio edit) (4.05)
  • 19/ I Cant Give Everything Away (radio edit) (4.25)

Side 1:

• 1/ Let’s Dance (single version) (4.08)
  • 2/ Ashes To Ashes (single version) (3.35)
  • 3/ Under Pressure – Queen & David Bowie (4.04)
  • 4/ Life On Mars? (2016 mix) (3.37)
  • 5/ Changes (3.35)

Side 2:

• 1/ Oh! You Pretty Things (3.11)
  • 2/ The Man Who Sold The World (3.58)
  • 3/ Space Oddity (5.21)
  • 4/ Starman (original single mix) (4.12)
  • 5/ Ziggy Stardust (3.12)

Side 3:

• 1/ The Jean Genie (original single mix) (4.05)
  • 2/ Rebel Rebel (4.30)
  • 3/ Golden Years (single version) (3.27)
  • 4/ Dancing In The Street – David Bowie & Mick Jagger (3.11)
  • 5/ China Girl (single version) (4.15)

Side 4:

• 1/ Fame (4.16)
  • 2/ Sound And Vision (3.03)
  • 3/ ‘Heroes’ (single version) (3.33)
  • 4/ Where Are We Now? (4.09)
  • 5/ Lazarus (radio edit) (4.05)

102 responses to David Bowie / Bowie Legacy

1. Pim says:

Nothing Has Changed is barely two years old :D

2. John Hirst says:

I’m confused as to who this will be of interest to. Having just received the new box set and starting saving for the inevitable Berlin Period one next year, the idea of a compilation of chopped up single mixes doesn’t appeal. I suppose the draw might be the “unreleased” mixes for some, but I can’t see them being unmissable.

3. Matthew Best says:

When I saw Mick Rock doing a book signing a couple of weeks ago he mentioned that he was heading home to do a new edit of his video for “Life On Mars” for a remix of the song that was coming out soon. Presumably this is that remix, and we can expect to see a video for it in due course.

4. Roger Waters says:

Horrible cover.

5. Pete Ryan says:

I wonder if that Life On Mars remix might be a Black Friday special release…

6. Ben Williams says:

And so it begins. This is blatant cashing-in on Bowie’s name! We just had the excellent Nothing Has Changed and the supermarket shelves are still stacked high with Best Of Bowie and ChangesBowie has never been out of print. How many Bowie compilations does the world need? You can get the double disc ones currently available for about £5 in the UK.

And what are the compilers obsession with Dancing In The Street? No ‘John Im Only Dancing’ but we have to be reminded that Jagger and Bowie once made an awful cover song.. Yes it was for charity back in ’85 which was very good but man, leave it in 1985!

• Krishen Jalali says:

Here, here. I’ve never understood what was so amazing about “Drive-In Saturday” that makes them put it on a bunch of compilations. I personally find it criminal that “The Width of a Circle” is never given its proper dues.

• Enrico says:

Hi Ben, thanks for the heads up on other Compilations, as I am quite new to a complete knowledge of his extensive catalogue, which one would you suggest to a non specific Bowie fan? Thanks! Enrico

• Joseph says:

Couldn’t agree with Ben anymore on all counts. Amazing how Nothing Has Changed was everything this is not despite sharing many of same tracks.

Absolutely begs the question of who’s at the steering wheel, and do they care…

7. RJSWinchester says:

Obviously this is aimed at casual Bowie fans and supermarket shoppers but I cannot believe that they’ve included the single edit of Young Americans (again)! It rips the heart out of the song.

8. Le Baron says:

There soon will be more Bowie compilations than Dylan Bootlegs… :'(

9. ken says:

Perhaps if they had focused the vinyl on some none album track singles like Cat People, This is not America, Absolute Beginners etc… and included the single mixes I may have thought about getting it.

……who am I kidding. I’ll end up getting it, it’s Bowie.

10. bob says:

And yet another compilation that excludes ‘John I’m only Dancing’, surely one of Bowie’s finest singles

• Alastair says:

Completely agree. It is strange. I wonder if DB really didn’t like the original version, especially when he remade it and tinkered with the original (sax/no sax).

11. richie says:

I`ve just ordered a `Billy` book case from IKEA to store my Bowie compilations.

12. Adrian Grove says:

Maybe it was novelty hit but there has never been a Bowie compilation that includes “”The Laughing Gnome”

13. Neil says:

Why is The Laughing Gnome not on this ? It’s better than that Dancing In The Street drivel. Seriously though how sad is that they have invented yet another compilation just to include a remix of Life On Mars.

14. Martin says:

Chrsitmas is coming and the Bowie ‘legacy’ is getting fat….

15. David says:

Have to admit I have Nothing has changed (3cd set) and thats pretty cool as compo’s go. Personally I think this is a bit overkill but it will sell

16. Paolo says:

Moreover, is the 2CD version here any different from the 2CD version of ‘Nothing Has Changed’? Apart from the “new mix” of ‘Life On Mars?’ and the two radio edits at the end of second disc?

• Rob Wilson says:

from what i’ve compared:

The 2016 remix of Life On Mars replaces the original version (interestingly, the 3cd version had the 2003 Ken Scott remix)
      The original single edit of Young Americans replaces the 2007 Visconti remix edit
      Fashion and Ashes to Ashes switch places
      The Slow Burn radio edit replaces the “Love Is Lost” remix edit
      The NHC version of Sue is gone, in comes the radio edits of Lazarus and ICGEA

otherwise, same damn thing, down to the exclusive US promo edit of Absolute Beginners.

17. probablyrustin says:

The main page headline of “previously unreleased track” is entirely misleading… This reminds me of the cheapo RCA compilations that would come out year after year, down the terrible cover and massively overdone track selection. Such a shameless money grab.

18. gwynogue says:

Between the previously unreleased tracks on this and the unreleased tracks on ‘Lazarus (Cast Album)’, Bowie fans are being expected to pay 20 quid for just 5 ‘new’ tracks.

‘I Can’t Give Everything Away’ indeed…

• gwynogue says:

Correction: 6 ‘new’ tracks – and of that 6, 2 are single edits and 1 is a new mix by the original producer.

• Johnny Feathers says:

I was going to ask “what new tracks?” I guess new mixes might appeal to somebody, but they mostly seem to be a waste of time, to me. Just about the only “new mixes” I can think of that I noticed/liked were on the Syd Barrett hits set, but I can’t say I’d have missed them had I not picked it up for the rest of the tracks. I guess that’s what they do when they don’t have a bona fide “new track” to entice folks with.

A ‘track’ is different to a ‘song’ for me. Two remixes of the same song on a bonus disc are two different tracks but the same song. This unheard version of Life On Mars is a previously unreleased track. Which is how I described it.

19. memoryboy says:

I am interested in this for possible newly remastered sound. I was not 100% thrilled with the remastered sound on the “Nothing Has Changed” collection. I am hoping this release is an improvement.

20. Javier says:

Nothing has changed.

21. Daniel Wylie says:

Who can this be aimed at? What I’d like to have seen more than anything is a studio albums set, maybe split over two boxes to cover his 25 albums plus a bonus album of non LP tunes. The current box sets Five Years and Who Can I Be Now, are ok but studio album collections would have been better. Milking the cash cow will continue forever…just like Elvis.

22. memoryboy says:

One track they never include in Bowie Compilations (which I feel is one of his finest) is the song “Real Cool World” from the Soundtrack “Cool World” (1992), although it is included on the expanded “Black Tie White Noise” (10th Anniversary Limited Edition) CD, I wish they would include it on his best of compilations, it’s such a killer track.

• Neil says:

They keep ignoring Up The Hill Backwards as well which i think has only been on one compilation the Platinum collection i believe.

• Johnny Feathers says:

I’ve been meaning to pick up the whole Cool World soundtrack. It’s an interesting time capsule of early 90’s alternative/electronica.

I have a soft spot for Real Cool World, but a I wouldn’t agree that it’s a ‘killer track’. Bowie didn’t even include it on the Black Tie White Noise album, so I’m not sure he thought much of it, in the end.

23. CJ Feeney says:

Now that Bowie has gone and his discography is effectively complete we can have a definitive career overview, but I don’t think this is it. It looks like a rush job compared to Nothing Has Changed with it’s well selected cover shots. The edits of the Blackstar singles are tempting, but I think I’ll pass on this.

24. Brian Kelly says:

What no Little Drummer Boy/Peace On Earth?
    Sorry had to say it.

25. Johnny Feathers says:

I can’t blame them for cranking out a compilation this year. I’m sure this will appeal to someone–just not me. I picked up Nothing Has Changed soon after his death, and other than some really bad song edits, it’s probably the last career retrospective of his I need. It at least had several songs I didn’t have yet, some really nice packaging, and as artistic a tracklist and concept as I’ve seen in one of those.

And heck, I still have the Ryko ChangesBowie one, which was my introduction to him.

26. edward says:

Why could they of not just updated ‘Nothing Has Changed’? seems too soon to do another best of especially when we’ve already had a re-issue of changesone bowie….

27. Steve W says:

Why would anyone want the single edits only. And as to a remix of Life On Mare – what is the point? Bizarre.

28. Kevin says:

Never mind this…where are the individual remasters from the WCIBN set??!!

• Owen Concannon says:

I’ve been searching it for weeks and still haven’t seen a thing about it. They’ll have even more of my money when the Berlin boxset comes out anyway…

29. Toni Hernandez says:

In my opinion the best and most complete compilation of bowie still is ” The Singles collection” of 1993!

My favourite too. The Ryko one…

• Paul Murphy says:

I always liked [and still do] the Sound & Vision set. A nice mix of the good, the live and the rare. Really one is looking at something aimed to the ‘Xmas present for Mum/Dad’ market here. The previously unreleased ‘Life On Mars?’ is presumably the version that was shortlisted for ‘Hunky Dory’ until the timeless “that’s the one” became the one [an acetate of the alternate sold at auction in about 1998 I think it was]. Opinions are like bellybuttons – we all have one but few hold much water – but for my two shillings, I think that ‘Drive In Saturday’ is one of Bowie’s best, I have to agree with R Winchester [never thought I’d type those words], the single version of ‘Young Americans’ is an edit of the bridge too far, and I can’t help gnashing my teeth that the live TOTP ‘Jean Genie’ hasn’t been included here.

30. bertielego says:

There seems to be nothing “Deluxe” about the 2xCD edition.
    It appears to be as cheap looking and lazily compiled as the 1xCD edition.

31. Paolo says:

I know that Bowie reissues and stuff will be plenty in the years to come, but I wonder who’s in charge for something like this compilation to be released. Bowie owned his back catalogue, but now who decides to put out another greatest hits, and even commissioning a new mix of an old song? Is it all up to label’s management or is Bowie’s representatives decision? I just wonder who gave green light to this.

32. Jay Kranz says:

so compared with the 2 cd nothing has changed it is all the same except different life on mars young americans may be the original mix, slow burn instead of boys keep swinging (interesting that it would shift focus ever so slightly to latter days bowie) and the two new singles instead of love is lost and sue.

interesting that the single disc has the same first 3 tracks as the nothing has changed single disc guess they like that sequence. also starman to rebel rebel is same sequence.

on the plus side I never bought the 2 disc version of nothing has changed so I suppose when this thing is in the bargain section I might grab it. but pretty blah.

• bob says:

Boys Keep Swinging is on both compilations…

• Jay Kranz says:

and just noticed I misread it does include boys keep swinging… also why is ashes to ashes put in front of fashion surely ashes to ashes closing the first cd is about the best thing a bowie compilation can do?

Fashion was issued after Ashes to Ashes and since that disc is in chronological order…

• Jay Kranz says:

nothing has changed 2 disc was ostensibly chronological as well and had it that way. guess it at least shows the new set isn’t a total clone but seems a little swap like that for the artistic reasoning is a good thing.

33. fredpostman says:

I can’t possibly imagine who this is aimed at,sad collectors [like myself [lol] that have a physiological need to get everything] because surely the casual record buyer would have brought ‘The Best Of Bowie’ or ‘Changesone’ or ‘Nothing Has Changed’ or…..ha ha ‘Shilling the Rubes’.And this crap about an unreleased track,not another mix of ‘Life On Mars’ when they could have included the original demo,but i suppose that’s being saved for a future release.And why aren’t the single mixes of ‘Fame’ & ‘Rebel Rebel’ included?Now where’s that order link?

34. Dean says:

And the ridiculous decisions about Bowie’s catalog continues.

I mean seriously, WTF?

As a huge Bowie fan I guess it hits me harder, but with so many excellent releases coming from other artists, this mismanagement of Bowie’s discography just beggars belief. It was sad enough to lose the man, but to be subjected to a slooooowly released set of boxes which are pretty much useless, and now this….

Over the years I have bought every Bowie release as it came out, buying and rebuying titles over and over again. But at this time, after we lose the man, I’m drawing the line. I won’t pay good money for this. I’ll invest more cash into Bowie’s legacy when the creators of this content appear to actually put some thought into it, rather than giving the impression they’re sitting around the boardroom table figuring out how to milk his audience. Hell, the even got the cover art wrong on this one, they should have cropped the Ziggy shot to show the left hand side of the face, the later shot on the right. Whatever……..

• bob says:

I agree, I usually buy most things Bowie but stopped a couple of years ago as I just had so much of pretty much the same thing.
      I decided to give the new boxes a miss, far too much filler and padding out with useless live albums. I will maybe buy them once they dip below the £50 mark, which they surely will do.
      Like someone mentioned earlier I would like a complete studio albums box set, the Roxy Music one is fantastic, I wish they would just copy this.

• Paolo says:

It is what they are doing with the box set series. Roxy Music have just 8 studio albums, hence they’ve put out a single box.

• bob says:

The Roxy Music box is called complete studio recordings, and that is exactly what it is, all of their studio albums + 2 CDs of non album singles etc. The Bowie box sets are nothing like that, there are 5 CDs of live material on the latest box alone.

• Paolo says:

Bowie catalogue is too wide for such a project, Roxy could do that because they only have 8 albums and a handful of extras, they struggled to fill two discs with all single edits and alternate mixes. Also Bowie live records have a status of regular albums in his discography, ‘David Live’ has no less importance than its contemporary studio albums, so it’s hard to imagine a Bowie definitive collection without them. In fact I think the better option with Bowie is to get the single studio albums remastered, and leave stuff like the Ziggy 2003 mix or ‘The Gouster’ to rich completists.

35. bob says:

I never bought Nothing Has Changed, but for me the 2CD version of Legacy is better than the 2CD version of that.
    I really like Slow Burn and Lazarus which are both on this and I absolutely loathe that boring Sue track. If this included John I’m Only Dancing and Buddha Of Suburbia and had great artwork/packaging this would be a perfect compilation for me.
    And why do they keep including All The Young Dudes? We all know that Bowie wrote the song, but the Mott The Hoople version is far superior and a solid gold classic Glam anthem.
    Lets wait and see. The cover is crap but maybe the rest of the packaging will be great..

• bob says:

Of course his catalogue is not too wide for such a project, just look at the Bob Dylan box set.
      Live albums are a different beast to studio albums. A complete studio albums box set should be just that, even if split between two boxes. Does anybody really need 4 CDs of David Live as part of the latest box? And the 5 years box had 5 CDs of of the Ziggy album one way or another, remixed, two different live shows of the album etc.
      There is far too much filer in those boxes. All of the live albums could have been released in their own box set, but they knew full well that they wouldn’t have sold.

36. Jamil Ahmad says:

Well said, Dean… I totally agree with you!

37. Robert says:

Bowie’s catalog is turning into Elvis Presleys- more compilations than actual releases.

38. Jim Edwards says:

Never have I seen such a depressing release. As a BowieBoy I will be keeping well away.

39. Mic Smith says:

Given the recent releases of a revamped S+V box set, the 3CD Nothing Has Changed compilation and the previous attempts at chronicling Bowie’s career in what are on the whole excellent collections (Singles, Platinum Collection and Best of Bowie) this looks like a very underwhelming compilation offering very little exclusive material unless they have sorted out the clumsy edits that plagued Nothing Has Changed. I think I’ll see how marketplace prices stand on release……

40. Richard Allen says:

I’m really disappointed to see Bowie’s estate to allow this to happen.

They could have just about got away with this by updating/revamping the Nothing Has Changed best of(s) by retitling it “Everything Has Changed” (to reflect the lyrics of “Sunday” from the Heathen” album), and adding the additional newer tracks, and maybe switching in & out a few of the tracks on the previous compilation, by bringing in the likes of “John I’m Only Dancing”; “Beauty & The Beast”; “Cat People”; etc.

But this just seems tacky Elvis Presley unsatisfactory cash in territory. At this rate in 20 years time there will be a duets album, with a bunch of acts the equivalent of Radio 6 Music & Pitchfork are raving about; etc reworking Bowie’s output with his voice duetting with them; etc.

…. still at least there is the potentially (still to be confirmed) positive news with it looking like December 2nd will be magic again for Kate Bush fans and the long awaited release of “Before The Dawn” …..

• bob says:

Actually the Kate Bush album is due for release on 25 th November. Great news finally.

• TJ the DJ says:

WHAAAA ???? FAB

• Johnny Feathers says:

Oh man, a companion/sequel set called “Everything Has Changed” is a pretty brilliant idea. Even I might have gone for something like that, just based on the title/concept.

• Jay Kranz says:

ya I think that could have worked. swap radio edits with album versions swap out some album tracks with others you could probably almost make a completely different (at least different versions) tracklist which could be interesting. make the art a bit more classy and as a sort of memoriam type release.

41. Carlton says:

Wile it’s not very tempting, I will probably buy it, but wait until I can get it used.

Couldn’t they have pulled together a collection of non-album stuff? Soundtrack cuts, b-sides, alternate mixes? Maybe they could have done a live compilation of singles from various tours like Eurythmics and Erasure have done.

Better yet (in my opinion), how about a compilation of original 12″ versions?

THOSE are sets I would be preordering no matter the price.

42. Ian B says:

I suppose it’ll appeal to who it appeals to; we’re all alleged adults who can make our own minds up as to whether a particular item is worth purchasing or not. I don’t especially need four separate versions of Sgt. Pepper (German picture disc, Canadian marble vinyl, 70s stereo black vinyl and 80s CD) and yet there they all are in my collection. Why? Because I wanted them when I saw them. I’ve got Bowie’s output from David Bowie (Space Oddity) to Scary Monsters, mostly on the bog standard CD remasters from 1999 and don’t feel the need for any more. Well, maybe deluxe releases of Low and Heroes, should they occur. If other need to chase down every single release as if they were so many leaping, ginger-haired, pirate-patched Pokemon, then that’s their business.

Anyway, some kid might receive Legacy as a Chrimbo present; could be life changing for them.

• RJSWinchester says:

It’s aimed squarely at casual music listeners, the sort of people who buy a few CDs from supermarkets every year. But good point, it could indeed be a life changing present if some kid gets a copy for Christmas.

43. DAVID CARROLL says:

What the hell ? And an awful cover too boot !
    Where’s a complete multi volume comp in chronilogical order of all his singles and greatest hits. This is just lazy arse shit put together by record company number crunchers.

44. Brian says:

keeerching, keeerching

45. Wim says:

Unbelievable… what a farce

46. John says:

Well, all the obvious “Why is yet another Bowie compilation necessary?” comments have been made, so I’ll just sign my name, and move on.

47. elliott buckingham says:

the dbl vinyl is released on my birthday so a prezzy for me

48. Paolo says:

Looks more like a budget compilation, to be honest.

49. gwynogue says:

They should have called it “Always Cashing-In The Same Star”…

50. AlexKx says:

I LIKE THE COVER! I don’t understand the title though! Is it “Bowie Legacy” or “Legacy”?! I think it is interchangeable and I think intentional BECAUSE there seem to be many releases for many years now that just focus on his last name because it is his stage name. Kind of going for the one name thing, Madonna, Prince, Tina, Cher…John Cougar Mellencamp. Maybe not the last one so much, eh. Plus I would say the one word title is more the standard title as to not only utilize that idea and concept (of a one word title) but also because having the name “Bowie” in it is not so important to its concept as the “ChangesBowie” compilations.

So what is the point of this outside of making money and encouraging the public to buy the studio l.p.s and whatever other product? Believe it or not if you want to step into the madness with me I can explain this as well as certain other artists’ compilations that SOMETIMES seem endless (and are) and unnecessary (and are) but in truth (at least on SOME level) can and do meet a purpose sometimes (and have some reasoning and logic to them). Sometimes they do fill a vacuum, demand, and concept) that is not currently being met (or to be more exact at their time of release even) BUT to be more specific I would say in this case with Bowie it was decided to come up with a compilation that utilizes the two c.d. format and concept that covered his hits from throughout all of his lifetime. While not complete of ALL of his hits as that would be impossible on two c.d.s for him it does do what previous compilations did not. For example while people may (and justifiably so) point out “Nothing Has Changed: The Very Best Of Bowie” was only two years ago and only one studio l.p. has been released since then the purpose of the two c.d. version of that was that the more extensive a compilation is the less it will sell…in theory. Or is so understood in the industry. Hence why while “Nothing Has Changed: The Very Best Of Bowie” was a three c.d. set it also received a two c.d. version. That annoyed me both at the time and since then BUT I have come to realize it (the two c.d. version) did and does (again on some level) serve a purpose. I do think the two c.d. version will hopefully go out of print at some point down the road…I think. Then again it does serve some purpose and on some level does promote the more extensive three c.d. version.

I have also realized some interesting things concerning compilations…especially generic and budget ones. That is that they can and do go out of print over time. In that case some and certain compilations I would say on SOME level are justified for their releases. As it is again on some level does not everything go out of print over time?! Remember the physical music stores are GONE for the most part in comparison to just a few years ago so some things are by default are at least not as accessible as they one were in some ways…at least for those who do not have the internet or are not reliant on it as much as other people.

Then there is the situation of why not re-release what ever in an extended form? For one that may, probably, and I hope will still happen with Bowie’s compilations BUT this again exemplifies and fulfills the idea and concept of this being a compilation that covers a more wide array (in theory I guess and think) than others previously done in the two c.d. format and again still offering a single version for those who cannot or are not as willing to purchase the more extended two c.d. version. As I’ve said before I imagine that there are lawyers and whatever forces and powers that be that would like a product that has already been sold to continue to sell as much as possible before resorting to other means such as unreleased and or new material. At least concerning original recordings or versions similar to them I suppose.

With all of that said I think some exciting compilations can still be done with Bowie in the future concerning the concepts of “best of’s” and “hits” compilations! I think a latter years one could be done that is two c.d.s covering 1995-2016 and even a different one c.d. set (not an abridged version; or maybe an abridged one c.d. version would meet that purpose perhaps). I also think a far more extensive program of hits could be done from only the years he was alive as a series of two c.d. sets that are non sequenced in release order and hopefully would have maybe three new songs on each…

Before all of that I think that a box set of “ChangesBowie” should be done that covers only the years that the 1990 compilation did. I think it should have within it “ChangesOneBowie”, “ChangesTwoBowie”, “ChangesThreeBowie”, AND “ChangesFourBowie” with each one being two c.d.s long! I think that “ChangesThreeBowie” could be released individually at some point down the line years later and “ChangesFourBowie” could be only available and remain in just the “ChangesBowie” box set! In this case I think if there could be three unreleased songs in each one of those sets that would be great as well! I would say that I think having “ChangesOneBowie” and “ChangesTwoBowie” cover the same track listings before extra tracks are added onto them from only the time periods they cover. “ChangesThreeBowie” and “ChangesFourBowie” could simply cover the year after those releases. I do not think that Tin Machine songs (from” Tin Machine I”) should be included in this though. Probably including the classics “Time Will Crawl” and “Never Let Me Down” would be a great idea since nothing from that studio l.p. was included initially anyway. There was probably some reasoning behind that at the time besides time space and any sort of dislike for that project. This probably goes with some sort of idea of not including too much material that was from a recent period at that point of time. This would also be in order to entice the customer to still have to resort to purchasing those products individually and probably to continue pushing the sales of those items as much as possible without tapping into them any more than they had to since they were more recent than the others.

With reference to a sequel to “Nothing Has Changed: The Very Best Of Bowie” in particular being the idea and concept of “Everything Has Changed” I think that that is a bad idea BECAUSE the idea and concept of that title is already used within the compilation’s (“N.H.C.”) artwork. That was the point and jist of the title and concept of the project AND David’s life, artwork, career, and what have you already contained within it. The main thing I would say that “N.H.C.” could have done differently is give fifty thousand more pictures (even artwork) and more liner notes that are not so tiny. As well as an extensive essay or two or few. (Again that would not have such tiny print.) Otherwise I think it serves its purpose for what it was at the time. I can’t believe someone such as David Bowie who has probably been photographed more than most any other human beings had virtually nothing in terms of photos and images contained in the inserts for that release. I mean that compilation by those standards allow the questioning of it being a generic and or budget compilation on some level I would say. I would imagine all re-releases in the future could and should contain at the very least a more extensive booklet with TONS of photos, some degree of artwork, as well as information (liner notes, essays). If not a hardcover book to be honest. I am prejudice against paperback books personally and would a thousand times over prefer a hardcover book. On top of that a hardcover slipcase if the concept of the box set was based off of it being a hardcover book. Much like the massive box set for Freddie Mercury released in the year 2000 entitled “The Solo Collection”.

• DAVID CARROLL says:

Spot on…l think the logical concept of multiple volumes of CHANGES as double cds would be great. I like your suggestion that post 1990 the CHANGES concept be dropped and another double cd or so be developed. There’s also room for a well curated Tin Machine comp. Maybe l am a product of a middle-class(ness) but l am a firm believer of the educate/ cultivate ethos.
      There are many facets to Bowie’s extensive back catalogue and now is the time to seriously educated and cultivate.

51. Mr X says:

So they want me to buy an inferior collection that anyone could compile themselves? No thanks, I’ll stick with a playlist I pulled together of the same in 10 minutes (and not the single edits)

52. Aevion says:

Not sure how I feel about this compilation. I was mighty disappointed when I noticed some of the really poor editing on Nothing Has Changed, so maybe this compilation will rectify that issue. I didn’t even know there was a radio edit of Lazarus, although I assumed there was one made for I Can’t Give Everything Away as the video version is shorter.

I was really hoping for a deluxe edition of Blackstar to round off the year, but it seems we have this instead. Oh well, there’s still a few months left….

53. Brian says:

I’d like to see a compilation of all hus soundtrack songs. Theres probably enough for 2 cds.

54. Rob says:

No one forces anyone to buy this so I don’t mind the potential money-grabbing thought behind this compilation, but as others have pointed out I just don’t understand why John I’m only dancing was left off once again.

55. Dennis Cattell says:

Still no Laughing Gnome? Why am I not surprised? I think those early years ought to be represented, if no Gnome then at least by songs of the calibre of London Boys or Love You Till Tuesday.

• Paolo says:

The 2010 reissue of ‘David Bowie’ was marketed by UMG, Bowie’s present deal is with Parlophone. Maybe they don’t have the rights to all first album related material? I don’t know.

• Paolo says:

Ok, just checked, there’s ‘Silly Boy Blue’ on ‘Nothing Has Changed’. So they probably don’t want anything earlier than ‘Space Oddity’ on such type of compilations. That’s why ‘Nothing Has Changed’ is superior for me.

56. Paul English says:

I’ll buy this for the couple of radio edits I don’t have.

I hate when compilations like these include album versions rather than single mixes. Can’t understand the hatred towards single mixes being compiled.

57. Derek Cornish says:

No US release?

58. Stephen Davison says:

What dubious money-grabbing nonsense. The cover is dreadful, David would not approve I’m sure.

59. AlexKx says:

How is the cover “dreadful”?

60. Matteo Leoni says:

I don’t like the sleeve.
    I’ll wait for the next useless “Best of”, probably in 2018 with a useless brand-new mix of something, and see.

61. Rob says:

Another greatest-hits compilation. There are already so many greatest-hits compilations of David Bowie. This one is unnecessary. I would recommend “The Singles Collection” (2cd / 1993) or “Nothing Has Changed” (3cd / 2014). Both compilations are better then this one.

Instead of this compilation, I would like to see a deluxe version of “Heroes” and “Low”.

62. Wayne Klein says:

Don’t believe this will be joining my collectin as its missing key soundtrack/single tracks.

63. Marcus André says:

Awful and poorly made cover. Maybe I’ll buy the 2cd edition.

64. AlexKx says:

65. Paul Murphy says:

Bowie Lethargy

66. patjoller says:

I just heard the 2016 mix of life on mars on spotify… the mix consists of removing guitars and drums, and the piano outro. Poorly done