David Bowie / CHANGESTWOBOWIE to be reissued on CD and vinyl LP

David Bowie‘s 1981 compilation CHANGESTWOBOWIE will be reissued on CD and vinyl in April, along with a limited silver vinyl pressing of Aladdin Sane, the latter celebrating its 45th anniversary.

CHANGESTWOBOWIE was issued in 1981 as the follow-up to CHANGESONEBOWIE (from 1976) although it’s a rather weird compilation if truth be told because RCA didn’t have the courage to simply ‘carry on’ post ’76 and felt the need to dip back into the early days. Hence it includes the title track of Aladdin Sane, Oh! You Pretty Things from Hunky Dory, Starman from the Ziggy Stardust album and 1984 from Diamond Dogs.

As a reminder how long it took for “Heroes” to be regarded as classic Bowie, the title track isn’t considered worthy of inclusion and in fact there’s nothing from the 1977 album at all, although D.J. from Lodger is featured, along with Wild Is The Wind from Station to Station. David’s two big hits from Scary Monsters are present and correct and John, I’m Only Dancing Again is a nod to the Young Americans period and links the two compilations since the original track is on CHANGESONEBOWIE. The remasterings are all the latest versions, but that does vary, and details are in the track listing below.

CHANGESTWOBOWIE was only ever released on CD by RCA in the mid-eighties for a fairly short period and has since never been part of any of the reissue programs (including the Rykodisc one from the early nineties), so this release is welcome.

On CD it will come in a ‘digipak’ sleeve, but when it comes to the vinyl Parlophone don’t seem to have heard fan feedback from the 2016 release of the first compilation, which was available ‘randomly’ as black or clear vinyl. That was not a popular concept but it is now repeated for CHANGESTWOBOWIE which is “available randomly on its initial limited manufacturing run in black and blue vinyl before reverting solely to black vinyl”. Anyone fancy buying a car that will be delivered in a random colour? Thought not.

CHANGESTWOBOWIE will be issued on 13 April 2018. Expect that Amazon UK CD price to drop significantly. A week later Aladdin Sane will be release on limited edition silver vinyl, although that will only be available through ‘bricks and mortar’ record shops (although in reality, the gold Hunky Dory did appear online).

David Bowie

changestwobowie - vinyl LP

HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 19.99

David Bowie

changestwobowie - CD edition

HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 9.99

CHANGESTWOBOWIE

1. Aladdin Sane (2013 Remastered Version)
2. Oh! You Pretty Things (2015 Remastered Version)
3. Starman (2012 Remastered Version)
4. 1984 (2016 Remastered Version)
5. Ashes to Ashes (Single Version) [2017 Remastered Version]
6. Sound and Vision (2017 Remastered Version)
7. Fashion (Single Version) [2017 Remastered Version]
8. Wild Is The Wind (2016 Remastered Version)
9. John, I’m Only Dancing (Again) [2016 Remastered Version]
10. D.J. (Single Version) [2017 Remastered Version]

CHANGESTWOBOWIE vinyl LP

Side 1
1. Aladdin Sane (2013 Remastered Version)
2. Oh! You Pretty Things (2015 Remastered Version)
3. Starman (2012 Remastered Version)
4. 1984 (2016 Remastered Version)
5. Ashes to Ashes (Single Version) [2017 Remastered Version]

Side 2
1. Sound and Vision (2017 Remastered Version)
2. Fashion (Single Version) [2017 Remastered Version]
3. Wild Is The Wind (2016 Remastered Version)
4. John, I’m Only Dancing (Again) [2016 Remastered Version]
5. D.J. (Single Version) [2017 Remastered Version]

110 responses to David Bowie / CHANGESTWOBOWIE to be reissued on CD and vinyl LP

1. Andrew F. says:

I have been comparing the inner sleeve of the 1981 vinyl pressing, to the 2018 re-release.

Image here: https://imgur.com/a/xl2CV

The original inner sleeve square dedicated to the Bowie fan club is replaced by the track listing for side one.

The original inner sleeve square dedicated to the Peter and the Wolf album is replaced by the track listing for side two.

All traces of the RCA logo have been removed on the 2018 edition, in line with what we’ve seen on all previous Parlophone updates.

Finally, there is no credit included for On Broadway at the end of Aladdin Sane on the 2018 vinyl label. The original 1981 RCA pressing featured this.

I only have a 1983 repress of the RCA Aladdin Sane vinyl, so I don’t know if On Broadway receives a credit on the original vinyl album.

I was pleased to receive a blue vinyl copy of the 2018 update. Not a popular move by Parlophone, given the feedback on ChangesOneBowie and the clear vinyl/black vinyl split.

I do have much affection for the ChangesTwoBowie compilation, even though it’s been usurped by more thorough best-ofs since.

Interesting to read Steve Pafford’s published article on how Bowie envisaged a different compilation called Twilight, which RCA balked at – running with ChangesTwoBowie instead.

Love that it eventually saw the light of day, almost, with the 2008 release of iSelect, which nearly stuck with Bowie’s own tracklisting. I think I prefer iSelect to Twilight.

2. Catweazle says:

Did anyone notice the jpc.de link is for the blue vinyl version? Received my copy today, and it is blue indeed!

3. LMTR14 says:

random colour… lol. impossible to keep sealed then, idiots came up with that idea

4. Louise says:

On the grounds I still haven’t seen a clear vinyl of the first one (and I’ve opened a few..) I think I’ll pass on getting a blue copy of this, I have all the tracks anyway (several times). The Aladdin Sane silver vinyl looks nice though, wonder how much HMV will inflate that to, their prices are becoming ridiculous.

5. Michael says:

I may or may not pick up Changestwobowie, but I’ve always felt this comp should be subbed out for the Christiane F. soundtrack, which is more what a “Changestwo” comp should look like, as it picks up chronologically after the first one. This one is confusing, I think, in that it includes early tracks too, rather than picking up from 1976 onward. It makes this more of a random mix of album tracks and singles, with not clear time period focus. But, so it goes.

6. David M says:

Already have ChangesOneBowie and ChangesTwoBowie on vinyl (original releases) plus ChangesBowie on CD and double clear vinyl. I think I will pass …

7. Pat says:

How many thousands of pounds would it cost to purchase all the Bowie remasters/reissues released in the last 3 years alone?

8. Matthew Langhorn says:

CHANGESTWOBOWIE (Shouting?) ordered, bet I get black vinyl and already made enquiries at my local record shop about the silver Aladdin

I know the tracks are all available elsewhere but I really want these.

9. toni says:

The best bowie compilation of ever and the most complete in my opinion is ” The Singles collection” of 1993 on 3 lps !!

10. Daveyman says:

I eagerly await the double pack ‘ChangesBowie 1+2’ next year!

11. Aaron says:

I agree with the points that many have made about “Best of” releases made during the artists/bands lifetime…they are made with the artists consent so are much more important than some later record company compilation…may pick this up to go with all the box sets an CHANGESONE…

Always wondered why A Collection Of Beatles Oldies (But Goldies) has never had a reissue…I would be all over that!

• Aaron says:

although I would also be all over reissues of Beatles Ballads, Love Songs, Rock N Roll Music and Reel Music….so i’m not sure what point i’m trying to make now!

12. Eddie says:

I wonder if, given the PC and revisionist world we live in, they were tempted to take the cigarette away in the cover photo?

13. markmywords2 says:

I think complaining is the only thing left to do, it might give them such a bad name that they pass the catalogue over to a company that will do it right. Of course it’s tedious to keep complaining, but isn’t rehashing this stuff tedious too? If it was the rca master for the cd or a proper an analogue remaster for the vinyl, rather than digital to vinyl, it would hold some worth, but it’s not. Are the single edits even correct or just approximations of the originals? I know that some of the recent single edits aren’t proper original single mixes. Also, I don’t care if Box 4 comes out if it’s going to be as bad as Box 3 – I’m just going to twiddle my fingers until someone comes along and does it right., whilst occasionally shouting “con!” every time something like this gets advertised.

14. Andrew B says:

I still Have the K-Tel best of on vinyl, couple of odd edits on that LP

15. poptones says:

I don’t understand the need to reissue ChangesTwo as Changesbowie (the compilation issued by EMI and Ryko in 1990) has always been THE ultimate Bowie Compilation for me (before Nothing Has Changed in 2014 and Legacy in 2016).

I bought the Changesbowie on silver vynil (Ryko edition) and CD when it was released and I love it. I think it’s the best Bowie compilation (even if obviously it only contains songs released between 1969 and 1990). I think there’s no need for Changes One and Two. Especially if you consider , as Paul pointed out, Two includes songs from the early 70s. So unlike Queen’s compilations (Greatest Hits I, II and III) which is chronological and documents an era of the band on each LP.

16. motte says:

I was lucky enough to get the RCA-CDs in the early 2000s on ebay for a very good price (also got there “Fame And Fashion” and “Golden Years” on CDs). So I’ll pass this one. But the K-Tel Best Of or BowieRare on CD would be very nice for me.

For the vinyl of ChangesOne and Two: the originals are not too expencive and are more authentic.

17. Auntie Sabrina says:

Eric, ChanegesOne… was releassed in a cardboard gatefold slipcase

18. Andy says:

This was the first Bowie album I bought and I thought it was amazing and it opened the doors to me for Bowies great albums. I will buy it on vinyl for sure to have a nice new copy. If I get a blue one even better. Andy

19. Brian says:

Still waiting for that K-Tel reissue of The Best of Bowie!

20. Chris S says:

“CHANGESTWOBOWIE was only ever released on CD by RCA”.
    Sorry Paul, I guess you mean to the say ‘The CD version was only….’. Just sounds like it was only ever released on CD, which of course it wasn’t.

I say the album was released in 1981 and that it was only ever released on CD in 1985 for a short period etc. That is exactly what I meant to say and don’t think it is confusing!

21. Mick says:

Aladdin Sane silver vinyl? SOLD!
    As for Changestwobowie, – it’s lousy they’re repeating that awful “random vinyl” sales gimmick again. I have the RCA CD of this, but blue vinyl? Again – SOLD! I just hope it’s translucent blue so the flashlight trick will work like it did with the last one.

22. Babakazoo says:

Definitely the worst Bowie compilation released. I have the RCA CD, but will definitely buy this Remastered version, just to add to the collection. I would prefer it was released in a jewel case though, just so that it matches the ChangesOne remaster and they can sit side by side on the shelf without looking out of place.

23. Randy Metro says:

Sound & Vision is from 1977.

This is true. Why are you telling us this information?

• Seth Hollander says:

I think he’s referring to your sentence about “Heroes” (“…there’s nothing from the 1977 album at all, although D.J. from Lodger is featured, along with Wild Is The Wind from Station to Station”), but he’s forgetting that “Sound & Vision” was on the OTHER 1977 album, Low.

Personally, I agree with the “why re-release THIS” camp, but all that means is that I won’t be buying it. Congratulations to everyone who does want this.

• jeremy keens says:

I think Randy is conflating Low and Heroes, both of which came out in 1977 – so when you said ‘nothing from the 1977 album’ he missed the implication of which album it was

24. Matthew says:

I don’t think the record company are milking things, the whole box set idea was put in place whilst DB was still with us and picture discs / coloured vinyl have been issued since the seventies.
    Somehow never bought this compilation but might to go with my original changesone, but only at well under a tenner.

25. Neal says:

It was easy to check the Changes vinyl to see if if was clear or black – this one probably will be difficult so its a stupid idea – of course i could just open them all in HMV and have a look!

26. Jim Ackerman says:

Random coloured vinyl. Who gives a toss. Gimmick marketing.

27. Eric says:

I was quite interested in getting this until I read that it’ll be in a digipak sleeve.

(Although I think the bare-bones reissue of ChangesOneBowie was also a digipak? If so, they would at least match up with each other, instead of being a sore thumb in the Bowie collection on my shelf. So maybe I will bite after all).

28. David Smith says:

I loved changesonebowie and it got me into Bowie at the time of release, but I was also puzzled by the song choices, no Starman and no Life on Mars. I thought the track listing for changestwobowie even stranger with, as Paul says, songs from Hunky Dory, Ziggy, Aladdin Sane and Diamond dogs, but nothing from Heroes. Also missing are Boys Keep Swinging and Be My Wife, and still no show for Life on Mars.

Plus changesonebowie track listing was chronological which, call me old fashioned, I’ve always enjoyed in a compilation/best of album

29. graham says:

Surprised the anti smoking brigade have not tampered with the cover in this day and age

30. Brian says:

In speculation here. I hope they release Bowie Rare. My copy got sold off years ago. A new clean version would be a great edition. It’s also as good as any of the Re:Call albums.

31. Paul Wren says:

More old Bowie? They need to give it a rest.

32. Kenneth Tilley says:

giving this a miss, a complete waste of time. Everything on this is available elsewhere.

33. Paul English says:

I’ll be picking this up on CD. The RCA disc is a very tough pull and these compilations were part of my early Bowie education. Two of them on an AGFA C90 that got played LOTS.

34. Dean says:

Huge Bowie fan – but no interest in this. It adds nothing to Bowie’s catalog other than a check box. “Collectors” might be interested, but I’m a music lover, not a lover of objects. I suppose they’ll sell some to people who see their music as an investment, but I have nothing in common with them.

Pass.

35. Adey says:

Any chance of them reissuing “chameleon”, with the original edits?

36. Adey says:

Would anyone who owns the recent box sets really need the cd, if the versions are the same as on the boxsets. I can understand people wanting the rca version, but not this one.

37. RJS says:

I bought this on cassette back in the mid-eighties. It was the first Bowie album that I owned and it is a cool album cover. However, I can see no purpose whatsoever for buying this reissue. I prefer to listen to music instead of collecting it and I own all of these songs already.

38. Steve W says:

Not for me but I’m glad they are still releasing Bowie vinyl. :)

39. Musicneil66 says:

I think changes two was issued more than once as its in y Bowie time life collection of all albums up to scary monsters.

40. Gorecki says:

1. The only people to benefit from the ‘random’ coloured vinyl idea would be the record company and the wretched eBay sellers who open multiple copies then sell the coloured one for thrice the price but unfortunately don’t make a loss because they still sell the black copies at nearly list price. The record company have effectively turned these Changes LP releases into the vinyl equivalent of that awful football sticker nonsense that blighted my school – remember how idiots bought packs of random stickers in the hope of getting some deliberately very limited thing – then they swapped them endlessly, then talked about swapping them endlessly – they really could bore for England!

2. Would I come across as too cynical if I suggested the choice of Black and Blue was less for historical or aesthetic reasons and more to make it impossible to shine a torch through the sleeve and ascertain what the colour inside might be?

3. What is the obsession with putting things in Digipacks (or worse soft card sleeves)? I have very little feeling in my fingers (a stroke a few of years ago) – I drop things – with plastic cases they mainly survive the fall, if they don’t I can replace the case easily, with digipacks and card sleeves they more often than not get damaged/ dented/ gouged/ scuffed/ scraped/ scratched, and quickly look terrible; often the teeth on the CD holder will end up breaking as well. The only way to solve this is…. buy a replacement. With the card sleeves, of course, along with all that the discs get scuffed pulling them in and out of the sleeves. The only way to solve that is…. buy a replacement. Anyone would think creating a product that is easily damaged was a deliberate ploy to make people buy multiple copies. Not that I’m cynical…

4. So, the silver vinyl Aladdin is probably one of the ever-increasing number of Bowie releases for RSD. RSD has become a real pain or nuisance or con for multiple reasons (on top of any irritations about the products they might be selling).

When it started RSD was kinda fun – not many releases (so not hugely expensive), you could potter down mid-morning and everything was still available, in the one shop the staff were friendly, helpful, and provided cupcakes (and there was live music if that was your thing). Then it changed: huge numbers of releases, huge numbers of people, vast secondary selling market, and a requirement to stand in a queue from the early hours… in the cold… and wet… and, two years ago, the snow. Not fun. When it started there were two indie record shops in my local town (10 miles away) – then 3 or so years ago one closed down. This meant the second nearest indie shop was around 40-50 miles away. The remaining shop’s prices always were a bit high but without competition the brakes were off and their prices rocketed. I went to the shop 40+ miles away where, for example, I bought the BowPromo box thing for £50 – the local shop was selling it for £80! This level of mark-up was repeated across their range of RSD titles. London has 30 or so participating stores – so there is clear competition – I don’t think the organisers know that outside the capital and big cities some shops have a monopoly and are really taking advantage of it. (I made up my petrol and parking costs on just that one purchase – but not the 2 hours extra journey time!).

As I hinted above my health is knackered: I also have a worsening painful spinal injury (and arthritis) that causes me problems standing. Now, if you want RSD titles you have to queue (unless you have vast reserves of cash for eBay!) often in cold weather (April is the cruellest month after all!) – I am finding this increasingly hard to either achieve or justify. But why should someone disabled be prevented from buying things effectively because they’re disabled? Even sauntering up after the shops involved have opened means queuing for an hour or so to get in. Then you’re encouraged to go round as quickly as possible before joining a queue for the checkout that takes another hour or so. Unsurprisingly, I do not see people with walking sticks, crutches, or wheelchairs at RSD events – the queues, packed stores, and so on are exclusionary.

And that local shop not only costs more, has unfriendly staff, a tiny premises, an utter misery of an owner who (last RSD I went there) spent the entire time talking to one of his mates right in the doorway…. after three hours in the queue they only allowed everybody to buy 1 each of just 8 titles ‘to be fair to those who arrived later’. What? Surely, if you’ve bothered to queue since 4am (soaked through, in the snow and subzero temperatures) you should be allowed to buy 1 each of all 300 titles if you so desire!

Last year I queued for about 3-4 hours (better weather thankfully) and guzzling painkillers to keep upright. The consequence was being bearly able to walk for the next three or so days.

And that’s not to mention the participating shops who are still listing their stock at triple the price on eBay either in advance or at 00.01 a.m. on the day the event starts!

Sorry! But I didn’t realise I was quite so angry about this but RSD WAS a good and worthwhile idea but that’s got lost amidst he greed and daftness – a victim of its own success.

Now, RSD is ill-thought through, over-priced, under-regulated, and exclusionary. RSD is no fun, no fun at all.

41. Auntie Sabrina says:

Parlophone decided against the card sleeve the ChangesOne… CD had and which was £10…

42. Grrrrrrr says:

I don’t like that they don’t say how limited these things are. The gold vinyls of Hunky Dory and Ziggy are still readily available. And who knows there may still be plenty clear vinyl Changesone out there.

This is a fair point.

• Mark says:

Exactly. Limited to what? Anyway, I really can’t see who would want this. Very odd.

• Michel Banen says:

Probably “As limited as demand requests”…… You can press something in an edition of a million and still call it a limited edition when you say “this won’t be repressed” and then it will be ‘limited’…. to a million though.

But then, who really cares ? One should buy this because one loves the product and not much as an investment.

43. Tom M Hans says:

I like my initial changesone and changestwo RCA CDs. Yes they are redundant but I was introduced to Bowie by the vinyls. Please don’t post a question about Why? or value? Or Why bother? On this page. If you feel like that then please go find another blog. Ta.

44. Gary C says:

I did have this one on cassette I am sure, and it turned me onto the albums proper, but there is zero need to buy it again, there’s surely better coming down the pipe than this

45. Noel Fitz says:

The gold vinyl versions of ‘Ziggy’ & ‘Hunky Dory’ were not so much gold but the colour of Nestlé’s Caramac chocolate bar.

The silver vinyl version T.Rex’s Slider last year was more of a dirty matt grey.

I ask the question to the record companies – why bother?

I think they considered calling it “Nestlé’s Caramac chocolate bar colour” but it wouldn’t fit on the white sticker that goes on the shrinkwrap.

As for your last point, you could ask the question “why bother saying ‘why bother'” when something is released that you personally don’t feel has value

• Urs says:

I always felt a bit cheated by these “gold” and “silver” vinyls. It sounds really cool and classy but the actual colour is rather disappointing. I have one so called “gold” disc and if I wouldn’t know better I’d call it “yellow”.

On the other hand I really like coloured vinyl, so I don’t really care about what they call it. ;-)

• Michael says:

From the amount of recent “gold” pressed discs I’ve seen put out for Bowie or the Velvet Underground turning up in local shops, there seems to be no rush on them. They just sit there. I tend to think the more translucent colored vinyls entice more people, but I don’t know if that is true.
          But I guess they are moving enough of them to keep printing new albums in this manner.

• Dean says:

Seriously? This is what music buying has become – complaints about the shade of yellow and silver? Jesus….

46. Jorje Chica says:

I was lucky enough to draw a clear copy of ChangesOneBowie, which was a nice treat. I’m not too concerned that Parlophone is continuing the gimmick with ChangesTwoBowie. It would be nice to get a blue copy, but if I draw a black one, oh well.

• DaveD says:

It’s suckers like me that make the record companies continue the gimmick. I ending up buying 5 copies before finding a clear vinyl copy of changesonebowie :( The black ones were great gifts for friends that just love the music. I’ll try to be happy with whatever arrives for changestwobowie.

• Jorje Chica says:

That was very generous of you! Cheers. I regularly hand off to friends copies of used records when I “upgrade” to a better copy (better condition, earlier pressing, mono release, etc.).

• Michael says:

I love the look of the translucent blue records for A Reality Tour,hours…, and Heathen. That the records sound good is most important, but looking that good is a nice bonus. If the changestwobowie is that same look, I will be tempted.

47. Bill Z says:

Nit-picking time: Fashion was of course on Scary Monsters, not Lodger.

48. Jay1 says:

Amazon have different release dates for the vinyl and cd on Changes Two – is this an error?

49. Chris Marsh says:

I’ll say right up front that I’m not a vinyl lover – give me CDs ANY day BUT I understand that there are those who like the old format. What I can NOT understand is the demand for coloured vinyl. Really, can someone please tell me what that’s about? I simply don’t understand.

People like it.

• CJ says:

I think it’s just the attraction of something different. I always have a preference for CDs that have actual artwork on the disc versus just a plain silver w/ printing approach or flat, single color.

• Heinz says:

Take a look at the pictures of this release, for example,
      then you should understand.

• Dave H says:

In the past, the coloured vinyl were produced as a limited run, therefore as well as looking different from the usual black vinyl, it would become harder to find and become a collectors item pushing their value up. Some record buyers enjoy having such rarities in their collection.

200 copies of Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody 7″ were produced on blue vinyl and is now worth a lot of £££ $$$! It’s a small proportion considering how many black vinyl singles were sold.

Now, lets look at it a different way. Imagine if only 200 copies of the above single were produced on black vinyl and the rest were blue, which version would you prefer?

The blue looks really neat and different to the norm but you know the black vinyl version will be harder to find and become more valuable.

You could say the same about football boots. “I don’t understand the demand for coloured boots” When I was a child football boots were black. Now look at how many footballers wear black boots! Virtually none because footballers like different coloured boots just like some record buyers like coloured vinyl.

• BillyD says:

I have around 10k each of records and cds. They both have their place. (I have yet to play a record in the car) Some cds sound better than lps and vice versa. Some coloured vinyl sounds good. As for pictures discs…the Bowie pic discs look very nice.

50. owbie says:

Why is this release welcome? Where is the need for a reissued CD compilation that has no unique track/s or anything additional? I understand what it means to be a fan of an artist. I have bought my share of reissues, repressings and SDEs. OK so you are a completist and need this – but I guess that person tracked down the early pressing disc and it sits on a shelf or is in a storage box. It doesn’t matter if this came out on CD ages ago and hasn’t been seen since. There is nothing here that hasn’t already been issued and/or remastered. If there is a single version that is unique to this, please let us know. If I was into vinyl, maybe… The blue vinyl sounds cool, but as Paul wrote, I would have to roll the dice to see if the one I get is indeed on blue vinyl…

Loads of people bought this on vinyl or tape at the time and would probably quite like to own it on CD (or pick up a new pristine vinyl pressing). You are mixing up ‘songs’ with a physical item called CHANGESTWOBOWIE, which has a cover, design, a ‘feel’ to it. This compilation may mean a lot to a lot of people. The fact that you can get all the songs elsewhere is wholly irrelevant.

• CJ says:

Sometimes i tdoesn’t matter that you already have everything elsewhere–you want the real thing. I’ve had really decent bootleg versions of Y Kant Tori Read for about 20 years, bu that didn’t stop me from happily plunking down another 20 bucks for the official remaster that came out last fall. In comparison to one of the bootlegs I already had, there’s very little difference, even in artwork. But I wanted the real thing. I imagine, since the original CHANGESTWOBOWIE was released so long ago and is likely difficult to find, there will be buyers for this, even more so since it’s remastered.

• Mike says:

Owbie..for someone like me who is just a part-time fan it’s great because I’d find it hard to listen to a whole album bar say Ziggy, hunky scary monsters..also I’m not bothered about getting up every to mins to jump around the vinyls. Also so this is great say when Ur pissed it a crowd please…..u can play the arse of of it like changes 1 and it’s so cheap it’s pretty much disposable….

• Michael says:

The #1 reason is because its an original compilation. If they were to reissue ABBA’s GHV2 or The First Ten Years (and oh how I wish they would) I’d be first in line. They were devised and released during the band or artist’s era so they count for a lot for devoted fans.

• John says:

Completely agree Michael, an SDE of Greatest Hits Vol 2 and The First Ten Years would be amazing. I’ve longed for them since Greatest Hits (1) was reissued. The fact that all the songs are readily available elsewhere is irrelevant. To me, Gold is irrelevant, it served its purpose at the time but those two albums are far more valuable having been released during the bands active years. As a completist fan, I’d like the full collection of original albums from the 70s/80s in SDE form. We can hope anyway….

51. cliff says:

So they’re releasing an LP Bowie wasn’t happy about RCA putting out.

does this mean the other compilations will also be trotted out – Golden Years, Fame & Fashion?

52. Jaypfunk says:

I made sure I got the clear vinyl version CHANGESONEBOWIE by holding my iPhone flashlight to the cover and made sure I was able to see thru it. I’ll do the same with this one. :)

53. Scott G says:

It is very sad hat Bowie has passed away but frankly I am now finding it rather disgusting the way the record company/s are milking his back catalogue (and departure) with constant re-releases of his LPs and singles in ‘Limited Edition’ coloured vinyl’s, picture discs, etc…
    I can’t imagine for a second that Bowie would have approved.

• Gorecki says:

David Bowie died in January 2016. There were approx. 15 7″ picture discs released before he died starting, I think, with Starman in 2012 (for its 40th Anniversary); there’s been 5 more releases since, following the same format – Bowie didn’t seem to raise any objections (and presumably licensed the material). The ChangesOneBowie clear/black vinyl, although released in May 2016, given design, testing and pressing times may very well have been approved pre-death. Presumably he authorised the clear vinyl of Blackstar as well. The ‘David Bowie Is…’ exhibition began in 2013, with the attendant special releases there from the start – again, he didn’t seem to complain, and presumably authorised the licensing of the exclusive tracks for inclusion.

What Mr. Bowie would have thought of 2017’s two gold LPs or a silver Aladdin is impossible and wrong to guess – however, certainly, while he was alive he was not particularly averse to picture discs, coloured vinyls, box sets, etc.

Bowie may now be an icon but he was also an iconoclast. Let’s not rewrite the chronology to attempt to beatify the purity of the late great man’s motives.

• Mark R says:

Not so. According to Tony Visconti, DB was planning to re-launch past material as well as opening the vaults.

• Benjamin Adams says:

Uh, it was done while he was alive, too. The current anniversary picture disc singles and box set reissue programs were all approved and begun while he was alive.

54. Gis Bun says:

Wonder if anyone will bother with the CD as it has been repeated elsewhere.

Since this CD has only ever been released once over 30 years ago, I’d imagine quite a few people who enjoy collecting Bowie will ‘bother’ with it.

• still_waiting_on_a_hero says:

Still waiting for my replacement Heroes cd guys, having asked for it the very day it was mentioned on here! Apparently they underestimated the demand for replacements – they must have lost the piece of paper showing how many boxsets they manufactured – although the figures probably said +-6 on it resulting in the confusion. Get the rest of your house in order before flogging any future wares.

• Neil Wilkes says:

I know what you mean.
          I am waiting on the replacement vinyl & the replacement CD – all I ever got was the 24/96 HD version from HighResDownloads.com

The part that really, sderiously gets so far upo my nose I cannot see daylight is the gouging on price in the UK – in the US this is almost HALF the price……what a ripoff.

As for the compilations on RCA, Bowie commented on “Rare” saying “if they had come to me I could have given them something really interesting, but I suspect they will continue to issue compilations I have no understanding of and no control over”.

Where is the Blu-ray of Ziggy at Hammersmith? Reality in Dublin? Both of these were great shows yet all we have is crappy AC3 audio on SD video. Ziggy was filmed so could be scanned in real HD, the lossless 5.1 sounds awesome (I saw it in the cinema last year and it DESTROYS the DVD) and Reality should be issued in lossless – not bloody AC3.

• BillyD says:

I have the cd. Never liked it. Don’t like the single edits. I do like the cover and that’s why I’ll buy the lp, whatever the vinyl color is.

• still_waiting_on_a_hero says:

Definitely worth re-releasing, but not worth including in the last box set? Hmmmm

Doesn’t really fit in the last box set given that it spans 1971 to 1980 and the last box was ’77 to ’82

• markmywords1 says:

it was released in 1981 – doesn’t matter what date the songs range from. do you think an album like Physical Graffiti, for example, shouldn’t be viewed as being released in 1975 just because the songs on it range from the early 70s up to the 1975? then taking into account that the bowie sets have added albums remixed well after the dates they range from. and then you also look at the fact the ziggy stardust the motion picture came out in 1983 – it looks like they are being very selective about what counts and what doesn’t. it’s a swizz!

Parlophone have consistently issued other stuff outside the box sets…. RSD, 40th anniversary etc. This is now common and consistent practise. You might not like it, but complaining every time does get a little bit tedious. The same thing will happen for box 4 – indeed, has happened with the Let’s Dance demo – so maybe we just need to accept it!

• Michael says:

Not I. My original RCA cd sounds incredible and I’m sure a mixture of remastering from different years will not do this particular item any justice.

55. John C says: