David Bowie / Glastonbury 2000

Full performance issued for the first time • 2CD+DVD • 3LP vinyl

David Bowie‘s stunning performance at the Glastonbury Festival at the beginning of the new millennium is to be issued on audio and video formats for the first time. Glastonbury 2000 is due at the end of November.

Bowie performed on the Sunday night headline slot on 25 June 2000 at the famous festival and this new release includes the entire 21 song set which was full of ‘hits’ and, in Bowie’s words, “a couple quirks”. Even better, only 30 minutes was ever shown on TV, so the 2CD+DVD set is a must, with video of the full performance. The DVD is confirmed at NTSC, region free.

The audio is newly mastered and is also available on 3LP vinyl and as a 2CD set (without the DVD). Also this set features new artwork from Jonathan Barnbrook and notes from Caitlin Moran.

Glastonbury 2000 will be released via Parlophone on 30 November 2018.

David Bowie

Ziggy Stardust
“Heroes”
Let’s Dance
I’m Afraid Of Americans

128 responses to David Bowie / Glastonbury 2000

1. GilWave says:

Just received it today – beautiful packaging, good looking video in full screen on DVD, excellent concert and good performances all around but… no 5.1 surround sound audio? All we get is 48kHz 16 bit LCPM stereo audio track?

What was the point of going through all the trouble to produce and remaster this exceptional concert, put together several deluxe presentations across multiple formats, and not produce a 5.1 surround mix from the master tapes? The lack of surround on the DVD mars what is otherwise an exceptional presentation of a classic performance.

2. Mikael says:

The 2CD/DVD is back (for now, Nov 7) on Amazon.de for EUR 24,99.

3. Brian Smith says:

This actually comes out on the 16 November in Australia and New Zealand.

4. Greg Clow says:

CD/DVD set is on Amazon.ca for CDN$34.55 – or just over £20. Fantastic price!

• stevethetree says:

60 minute version of the set now available to watch on BBC iPlayer. Brilliant stuff – I was there and one of my best ever gigs.

• Gisabun says:

@Greg Clow
      And $34.55 is a ridiculous price for 2CD/DVD. Most 2CD/DVD are generally $25 or less.

5. Paddy says:

CD/DVD is now €24.99 on Amazon Germany.

6. richard says:

Paul, you have such good contacts within the industry, could we go for a decent sleeve re-design ??

7. steve carroll says:

I have several bootlegs of this release and all – IMO – have better and more interesting art than this official release. This is up there with Legacy as the worst cover in Bowie’s catalogue. It reminds me of those ‘Best of ‘ CD’s you see in petrol stations all across Europe, knocked up in 30 minutes in the back of a shop in Russia. Outstanding set though – no argument about that.

8. Adey says:

I already own the complete live at midnight release of this, from the radio 6 digital broadcast, great set and wonderful sound.
    I will be buying the 2cd/dvd set but will wait until january, to avoid a repeat of the smiths queen is dead price drop fiasco.

9. Fredpostman says:

The trouble with being a Bowie fan is the copious amount of unofficial material available.I already have this on 3 bootleg cds,but to the average punter this will be a ‘fresh’ release.I’m just surprised it hasn’t appeared on a ‘radio broadcast’ cd that circumnavigate current copyright laws in EEC;perhaps that is why this is appearing officially now so soon after the ‘Loving The Alien’ box set?

• Michael says:

If the BBC owns the recordings, I imagine it would have been harder for the dodgy companies to get the recording out there.

10. Tim says:

This is an utterly brilliant performance and it’s fantastic to have it officially released. BBC 6 Music broadcast the whole, unedited Glastonbury performance on the night after the great man died – but they sort of snuck it out in the middle of the night… I ‘recorded’ it and I have to tell you it’s terrific. An instant purchase for me. Thanks Paul!

11. Simon Ward says:

Not a fan of Bowie and seems strange to puts this out now, some 16 years after it was recorded.

Plus £34:99 for a single DVD and 2CDs seems a bit expensive. I’ll pass.

• Dan says:

How is it strange? I wish Madonna would finally put out her 1990 Blond Ambition tour on dvd or blu Ray.

• Paul Kent says:

You’re not a fan of Bowie, so of course you’ll pass. Which begs the question: why bother commenting?

• john gleeson says:

If your not a Bowie fan then it really doesn’t matter how old the recording is or how much it costs because your not a fan.If for instance a super deluxe ACDC set became availble I wouldn’t be in the slightest bit interested as Im not a fan.

12. Neil Wilkes says:

Mug that I am I have bought the 2CD/DVD version.
    I will make a bet with anybody right now that the audio will be Dolby Digital only on the DVD yet again, and equally “yet again” – where is the Blu-ray version?

13. Ollie Carlisle says:

The price difference between the 2cd and 2cd/dvd sets seems odd – £21 extra for the dvd? Maybe there’s more to the box set. A 12″ picture book or something might just about explain it, otherwise it must surely come down a fair bit in line with similar items. I don’t think the BBC licencing makes any difference on the price if recent ELO and Quo sets recorded by the BBC are any indication.

14. Matthew says:

At last! I’ve been hoping this would get an official release, as none of us are getting any younger. Personally I’d prefer it if they released the entire vaults now so I could enjoy it. This release is not ‘milking’ us, it’s pretty essential. Releasing Heathen on four different colours of vinyl is though.

• Michael says:

Anyone who feels compelled to buy every color vinyl version of Heathen is just OCD about buying Bowie, but if it suits them, then so be it. I like the blue vinyl.

15. Graham says:

This release seems to be a ‘top up’ on this years box set for which sales may or may not be as strong as the previous sets given its contents.

As a longstanding Bowie fan this will be the purchase rather than LTA which I do not need in comparison

16. Mike Villano says:

What a nice surprise! Just been listening to the new ’78 set and loving it. There’s too much coming out this fall! No mas!

17. Mark McKendrick says:

Is that the final artwork…?
    Bit of an afterthought.
    Bit tacky.

18. Johnny Spasm says:

Finally, a Bowie release that isn’t just another cash in Greatest Hits.

19. Mark says:

The show broadcast live to air as it happened by the BBC in SD – not recorded on film – and was not recorded with any consideration on a live release 18 years later. This is as good as its going to get ; asking why there isn’t a 5.1 mix or a BR is pointless unless you have a time machine. We can’t go back and change history.

20. Blake says:

I noticed a few comments here and there asking why they chose to release this, instead of the (full) Bowie Beeb concert (recorded at BBC Radio Theatre) – I thought I’d provide an easy answer:

1) at the Beeb Show, Bowie’s voice wasn’t “in top form” – much like at the concert in New York @ the Roseland Ballroom, DB had to leave the stage for a bit to recover while the band played an instrumental version of “Jean Genie”
    2) That same show included two tracks off of the aborted “Toy” album.

…so why release a ‘somewhat expanded’ version of a concert (‘Bowie @ Beeb’), where you’d never release the full show – when you can just release a later concert that featured (almost) all of the same songs, but without the ‘vocal issues’… know what I mean?

21. Neil says:

Same price on HMV for the 2CD+DVD which means it will be highly unlikely to go down in price on Amazon. No way on this planet am i paying that price.

22. Ian Mears says:

I was there and it came at the end of a very long weekend. I look forward to this so I can finally really watch/hear it. As someone wrote already, he really connected with the crowd. I look forwrad to having my memory jogged

23. Will says:

Much respect to the Bowie team for exploring the 2000’s. This is a great release. (Hope a NIN/Bowie show comes next!) Like everyone I am very sorry that the PAL masters have not been professionally upscaled to HD for BluRay. (That’s the only way that things are done, nowdays. Look at the BluRays sets of Doctor Who’s Tom Baker Years, or Farscape, etc. – if all that exists is PAL masters, you upscale it to HD. You don’t reduce the quality down to NTSC!).

Maybe they’ll include a download code for everyone to get an upscaled 1080 version? They’re surely mastering this as such.

• Neil Wilkes says:

Hi Will.

Sorry to say I agree with you on the HD version – this should be on Blu-ray with decent, lossless audio and not the almost certainly AC3/Dolby Dirgital we will end up with. Still, given all I currently have are the bootleg releases (I have 3 – 2 are complete and one is not) it will be interesting to hear if the “remastering” helps although on recent form from the current box sets I am not holding my breath.

As far as PAL/NTSC goes things are not nearly as straightforward as you might think (and I do this for a living so know what I am talking about) and there are many traps for the unwary:
      1 – anything at 25fps cannot go onto Blu-ray at 1920×1080 in progressive scan as this is simply not in the Blu-ray specifications (like 29.97/30fps, it would have to be interlaced & 1080i is not now & never will be “High Definition” as there is far more to HD than pixel count. So this means for Blu-ray it would HAVE to be reworked to 24fps and that can be difficult for today’s “preset post production” style as Alchemist HD would transfer frame for frame (thus changing the pitch & tempo of the audio, and time stretching this to match the 25>24 frame rate is a 4.16% shift that will leave artefacts. There is a way to do this without artefacts but I am keeping that to myself for obvious reasons).
      2 – Running at 25fps not only forces interlaced images (which halves the vertical resolution) but would also force 2 versions, doubling post production costs, authoring costs & replication costs because there are too many players that will not play 25fps in USA and will not play 29.97fps in UK.
      3 – NTSC makes much more sense for DVD because it will work on almost all UK players, whereas 25fps will simply not run at all on a lot of US displays because their mains frequency is different to ours (60Hz as opposed to our 50Hz). With luck it will be filmed at 24fps which will work universally and will therefore be called NTSC because there will be flags in the MPEG-2 stream setting pull values as most modern upscaling players will easily play DVD with the footage at 24fps progressive scan. Hollywood have been using this for years and it will all depend on the frame rate filmed by BBC.

The other reason NTSC can be preferred is refresh rates are simply higher in NTSC (30 times a second against 25 times a second, which is a 20% difference. We will not go into colour spaces and actual lines available against overscanning as we would be here all day!

Very interesting Neil. Thanks.

• Will says:

Sounds exceptionally complicated to convert PAL into HD! On October 19 the BBC will be airing it in HD, so it will be interesting to see how they do it – which visual or audio sacrifices they may make to make it possible.

24. Steve W says:

In contrast to many here I LOVE the cover and can’t wait to get the cd&dvd set even it isn’t blu ray. :)

25. Stan Waterman says:

Bowie at Glastonbury was a unique time in history, But it boils down to where was it recorded from , Stage, Mixing desk or some guy in a field miles away!

• Iain says:

It’s the BBC! It’s going to be the feed to the soundboard ( or wherever it’s being recorded for broadcast.)

26. Brian Smith says:

well I thought that would have been something for RSD!!

27. martin farnworth says:

Starting to question my level of “fandom”. How many Bowie live albums do I need? At some stage there’ll probably be more official live albums than Bowie studio albums. The Bowie at The Beeb live cd from the same year though is probably my favourite of the lot. Having said I don’t feel need to rush out and buy this. It might be another “cash in” as some suggest although if the quality of the product is up to standard then does it matter?

• Michael says:

I agree, though I don’t question my own fandom. I was a completist for official releases, but I have given that up lately, since so much just feels like it covers the same ground. I really loved live Bowie albums, as each tour tended to have its own unique style that gave new life to old songs. But the sets most recently are getting quite redundant. Between the Live at the Beeb 2000 cd and A Reality Tour, I won’t feel compelled to add this.

28. Oliver says:

I have loved every single one of Bowie’s archival live releases in the last few years, but I’ll be damned if I’m expected to pay £47 for a triple LP. That’s ridiculous. So was the “Reality Tour” blue vinyl, imo.

29. Billy the kid says:

If Bowie Is the new Elvis, whats next? Bowie Philharmonic

30. Brian says:

Absolutely fantastic news, but I wish people would find a bit more to moan about

31. Stevie B says:

Artwork is horrible. It looks like one of those cheap CD’s you could get that ended up being all radio interviews with ‘no artist recordings/music’ on it. Typography is lazy beyond belief. Yuck!

It’s by Jonathan ‘Blackstar’ Barnbrook, so at least we know that he knows what he’s doing, even if you don’t like it. He did ‘Reality’ of course, which isn’t most people’s favourite sleeve…

• Derek says:

I love his sleeves for Reality, Heathen and Blackstar. But this one and Legacy look cheap. This one looks like it was designed to work as a tiny icon on a phone.

• Diego Garcia says:

Barnbrook gives a very meaningful and sincere explanation on the topic—not specifically about this cover, but his Bowie’s designs after David’s passing—in a recent, highly recommended interview:

«Now David is not here any more it is very strange experience designing a cover for him. There is a big space where David once was. (…) If David supported something, it was certain it would get through. Now I don‘t have him to fall back on so often decisions are taken by [the record companies]. I think it’s not they are not respectful of David‘s legacy, just sometimes they are now much more difficult to deal with and interfere in a way which is sometimes completely unnecessary. It means it is often a lot harder to get an unusual idea through.»

Source: https://davidbowienews.com/2018/09/an-exclusive-interview-with-jonathan-barnbrook/

32. Guy says:

Ooo brilliant! Thanks for the heads up as ever, Paul. I was there, near the front and was in awe throughout. A definite purchase :-D

33. Chas says:

Why not a DVD release for the BBC Maida Vale set he recorded in the same week (the CD was released with early versions of “Bowie at the Beeb”

Because they’ve decided to release Glastonbury.

• Derek says:

I’m hoping that, in a few years, we’ll get a complete CD + DVD ‘Bowie at the Beeb’ box. The current Bowie at the Beeb set is great, but it’s far from complete.

• Mike Villano says:

There was a bootleg box set last year but limited to 500 copies. I’m sure they’re long gone by now. I have it and it’s pretty damn impressive!

34. Gorecki says:

When this was recommended to me by Amazon the other day I assumed it was yet another one of the plague of wretched grey area ‘bootlegs’ that are cluttering up the planet (plastic pollution crisis!?!?!) – the cover art doesn’t exactly help!

Thank you for flagging this one up as being genuine legit product!

Although the DVD bumping up the price by more than £20 is a little startling. I’ve been told licensing picture from BBC Worldwide/ Motion is far more expensive than licensing audio content. (This came up when the lack of a relevant BBC doc was questioned on the BFI’s excellent ‘The Devils’ DVD set.)

I reckon the price will come down, but maybe not as much as people might hope for…

• Kevin Aston says:

i think Reflex in Newcastle have it as £27.99 on pre order for 2cd/dvd Paul

• Gorecki says:

My hope would be down to about £20 (ish) – depending on packaging – which would seem in line with other 2CD/DVD sets, if in digipacks. Although someone sending a free copy round would be rather lovely…. by unicorn-post! ;)

35. Lee says:

£34.99 for a 2CD, 1DVD set??????????

36. Ray says:

I’m excited for this. And it’s arriving on my birthday! Even cooler. I’ve never seen the entire performance. Just in shortened crappy quality clips. Station To Station and Golden Years alone have me eager to hear this. A must!

37. James vandegrift says:

Very welcome news! interested if it gets a State side release. He was on fire that night.

38. DW says:

Some of the complaints show just how spoiled we have become. In the 80s and 90s no one would have asked why they were not receiving video with their LP purchase.

• RJS says:

They’d be complaining that it was Betamax instead of VHS… I don’t think people are spoilt – LPs weren’t sold with videos in the 80s and 90s so there was nothing to complain about in that respect.

39. Bart says:

Very nice! We need more live albums from 90s like from Outside tour and 50 Madison garden live gig.

40. Robert says:

This is great news ! I am looking forward to this release. Is it a diggi-pack (I hope that I wrote this correctly!)

41. Ray Sephus says:

Anyone know if I purchase from Amazon UK, will the dvd most likely be in PAL format? I don’t see it advertised (yet) on Amazon USA and I don’t have a PAL compatible player….

Confirmed as NTSC region free.

• Gorecki says:

Why are so many of the DVDs in these CD/DVD packages in NTSC even though they are being manufactured for the UK market – where PAL is the standard? It’s something that’s been baffling me for years. I’m surprised no-one’s found one that doesn’t work and taken it to trading standards.

So people in the USA can watch them and labels don’t have the cost/logistics of multiple versions.

• Gorecki says:

I’d assumed that was probably the reason.

But NTSC is very much the minority Television System used globally: Britain, all Europe (bar France and Russia, who use SECAM), most of South America, most of Asia (including India and China!), Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, etc. all use PAL. France, Russia and the Francophone parts of Africa use SECAM.

It seems a little odd that about 6 billion people have to have multi-system-compatible equipment for the benefit of about half a billion who don’t – even if two of those countries are the world’s biggest music markets, the USA and Japan (and I’m pretty sure the Japanese know a thing or two about TVs and electronics – having cornered the market in them for the last 40 years!).

Thankfully modern British TVs are PAL/NTSC compatible – it’s strange that those in America aren’t!

It’s also a constant source of bemusement that so few Americans have multi-Region DVD players – and seem so surprised that other countries have the temerity to not have the same TV systems and region encodings as they do!

42. John H says:

Many comments about video Blu Ray HD this should have been released in the Blu Ray format the quality even if shot in SD 720 it would have been a superior version to release. I have the Live Aid dvds and although excellent quality the only Blu Ray release from this is Queen and the picture quality is stunning as is the sound pity they haven’t done this for Bowie I don’t know if it was filmed in HD as it was a new format then but certainly an upscaled version would have been better than this.

• Mike the Fish says:

Was anything shot in 720? If it was shot PAL then it would have been 625, but only 575 interlaced lines of actual picture, so only half that every half a frame.

43. Gisabun says:

If not mentioned, a few advantages of the BR format over DVD:
    * uncompressed audio and multiple formats
    * higher quality video
    * extras can be added
    * more convenient with 1 BR than 2+ DVDs for the same content
    Even in SD, it makes sense to use BR.

44. Leonardo Lotti says:

Paul, what about the remastered Voodoo Lounge blu-ray by the Rolling Stones that is being released by Eagle Rock at the end of the year? And The Best Of 1990-2000 by U2 being released on vinyl? I heard all about these releases, but there is nothing like reading articles at SDE! It makes them sound even more official! :)

• Daryl says:

I was hoping for a Voodoo Lounge article too. Looks pretty good. I used to have the cut version on VHS and have been waiting for a DVD release for years! The fact that we are getting the full show is a huge bonus.

…while we’re on the subject, the Stones set at Glastonbury 2013 would be a fantastic vault release. I have a tasty bootleg set in HD, but I’m assuming that the BBC own the rights still or something.

45. Marcelo Lamela says:

Dvd and no BluRay? Over priced

46. Steven Higgins says:

Excellent news! I’ve only ever seen the crappy YouTube video of this performance so really looking forward to it. My hope is that, as they seem to be finally releasing archived live material that one day we will get a live album and/or DVD set of The Sound & Vision Tour 1990. I love the versions performed on that tour, great film backdrops and excellent band also.

Anyway, looking forward to this! And the LTA box set.

47. Paul Smart says:

I’m not convinced there will be a 5th box as there have been so may reissues of Outside onwards (there are 8 in October / November!) that the market must be smaller. I also heard somewhere that Parlophone only had a 4 year contract?

48. I honestly hate having to moan about what is, in the main, a very welcome release, but I have two quibbles.

1. Why do those of us who want to buy the vinyl then have to buy the CD/DVD set to get the video content? Surely slipping in the DVD with the vinyl wouldn’t be too hard or affect the price adversely?

2. Why DVD and not Blu Ray? Yes, it’s likely to have been recorded in SD, but a nice remastering and some upscaling would present this in the best possible quality.

No mention of digital formats either?

• Steven Higgins says:

You can’t upscale Video to HD. You can only upscale film to HD. The BBC broadcast was 100% shot on video so therefore no amount of upscaling will achieve anything. DVD is the best we can have! That will be remastered and cleaned up but that’s about it.

49. Gary C says:

Bowie played 3 gigs that year, two of them for the BBC in a roundabout way, one being for the masses and one for some specially (?) invited guests.

I imagine the BBC Radio Theatre gig will be the one that ends up in one of those big boxes, albeit in expanded/full form…so 3 LPs to flesh things out

50. Iain McCarthy says:

Regarding the whole DVD vs. Blu-ray debate, i believe the issue is not whether the concert was “shot in SD”, but rather what format was used to film it. If it was recorded using film, this is inherently a HD format and can be remastered or re-scanned to look brilliant on HD Blu-ray (this would require a lot of time and effort in restoration of course). However, if it is filmed on video, a HD Blu-ray would not make much of a difference.

I understand those nuances. To me ‘shot in SD’ means video not film, because as you say you can scan film negatives to 4k, 8K or whatever and create very hi-def versions.

51. tonissive says:

Plactically have the same tracklisting of the ” A reality hour” and dont have any song of his recent album of 1999 ” hours”..I´m not interested.

• Dogfacedboy says:

It’s not the tracklist it’s the performance, Bowie connection with the audience and the event. It’s gave me shivers at the time and I was only watching it on telly

52. Karl says:

I was wondering when this was to be released. No Blu Ray?
    Funny how at the time it didn’t seem like that big a deal, most of the press were more interested in his blonde hair!

A welcome release this one…

53. Harve says:

I have had this show for a long time, nice to see an official release.

54. Raj says:

Wow, Thanks for the updated information. Im more excited about this than the upcoming box set. Looks great. Hopefully it will be region free DVD. Any USA amazon links? Agree With the other posts above-glad it’s not limited RSD.

55. Mic Smith says:

Brilliant news! Been playing Bowie all day on my day off and this is just the icing on the cake on what had been a great day so far.

56. John Murray says:

A ‘must buy’ for me, but amazed that this won’t be available on Blu Ray.

it was filmed in SD I believe, so not too much point in blu-ray.

• Mikael says:

That depends on the sound, I would say. If the DVD is stereo, it could be uncompressed PCM, and then a blu would not improve (much), but if it is multichannel, a DVD would be compressed whereas a blu would (or could) be uncompressed, and that is a big difference.

• Gareth Pugh says:

Indeed. Blu Ray is not so much a canvas as a lens – it won’t in and of itself transform or improve what you put on it, but it does let you fit more on *if* your source materials have the ‘bytes’ information to make it worthwhile, and lets you see much more clearly what the state of your source material is – warts and all. Some transfers of (e.g. 1990s video-shot dramas) material to Blu Ray can up looking no better than a DVD – or worse because the softer edges of a DVD can mask a few rougher edges. But putting something onto a Blu Ray is not, in itself, improving or transformative.

57. Geoff G. says:

I wish they would cash in more, as there’s is so much unreleased stuff to issue. Bowie fans are not getting any younger. Keep on bringing it!

And, an excellent release. I’ll be buying.

58. andrew R says:

Is he now the new Elvis ? The love and respect seems to have increased
    year on year since his passing.The only question, would he have sanctioned some of these
    releases ? Would they have come out so quickly? i am not in the least sniffy about the Glasto
    lp but Bowie was very careful about the presentation of his career /releases .Sometimes better to keep people waiting ,there has been an awful lot of product lately .

59. Foxee says:

What utter bollocks to offer the vinyl without DVD or Blu-ray and force those of us who prefer that format to have to buy CDs!!! This is really infuriating and nonsensical.

Any chance there will be a standalone Blu-ray at any point so that we don’t have to waste money on CDs???

60. Dean says:

Great news. Other than the “we don’t give a damn” cover “art”. I guess someone had a bus to catch, and only had a few minutes to throw something together.

61. Great news! Except, why DVD instead of Blu-ray? It seems a bit outdated. Was the performance shot in poor definition?

62. Steven Campbell says:

I was at this concert! Sooooo laying my hands on this! It was also the last Glastonbury I was at too!

63. GRAHAM YAPP says:

May be cashing in.but replaces my bootleg copy. So certainly will be adding it to my collection.

64. Dan says:

Price is *far* too steep for the 2CD + DVD set, but I’m guessing it’s bound to drop quite significantly in the months following release.

• SG says:

Absolutely! The diff in price between the 2 CD set and the 2 CD + DVD set makes the DVD a silly price, surely?

65. Frédéric says:

And what about Prince ?

66. L says:

Given the reported vault of unreleased material (esp the Outside sessions), there is a sense that every last bit of his output is being milked since his passing.

• Dean says:

Strongly disagree. Bowie was unrepresented live, with many periods simply not available, or available on severely Limited Editions. You shouldn’t look at this and think “but they could have released wholly new music from the Outside sessions”. That’s just a statement on what you’d prefer, not one that points to their milking things.

• Dan says:

“Reported” = overstated.

• Michael says:

Bowie himself seemed to have leaked the Leon / Outside sessions in his last year, or someone close to him did. I have that, and am glad to, but cannot see it being anything the record company would want to put out unless it was part of a box set or a limited RSD thing. It is comprised of a few meandering 20 minute tracks. Not holiday season sales stuff.

67. Heinz says:

GREAT !!
    Thank you Paul!

68. michael59 says:

wow, i was waiting for this for a long time!

nice idea to offer it as both CD and vinyl versions (and also let’s people choose if they want the DVD or not).

mhhh, the only strange thing is the timing: just a few weeks after bowie fans will have bought the € 130,- “loving the alien” box… akward that they did not wait until spring 2019 to release this.

69. Chris Lancaster says:

Superb news that this is getting an official release; it’s hard to think of a better live performance by the great man. Many Bowie fans will have audio of the performance already (for instance on the superb Bureau Supply vinyl bootleg), but to get the whole show on DVD as well is a huge bonus.

The official release had been rumoured for a while; it’s rather pleasing that it’s not a RSD item, as I’d suspected would be the case. It does make one wonder if the box-set campaign will continue beyond this year’s Loving the Alien, as the Glastonbury set would surely have been a shoe-in to be included in one of these.

• michael59 says:

i am quite sure the box-set campaign will continue. it only makes sense as a life/career-spawning project and i am sure we will see box sets covering his 1989 to 2016 era in the future.

• Dan says:

Warners have stated and re-stated that the forthcoming box set will be their last one. Could be that the post-1989 material is put out on a different label?

• Chris Lancaster says:

When did Warners state this? I’ve not seen this anywhere. I’ve only seen Loving the Alien referred to as ‘the latest’ box set, such as in the official press-release, which started as follows:

“Parlophone Records are proud to announce DAVID BOWIE ‘LOVING THE ALIEN (1983 – 1988)’ the fourth in a series of box sets spanning his career from 1969.”

The open-ended statement ‘spanning his career from 1969’ suggests to me that there will be more after this one.

• Calum says:

Yes, I don’t know where you get that Warners have stated several times that LTA will be the last box set – if only!

• michael59 says:

by the way: i always thought that david bowie held the rights to ALL of his albums at the time he died – from his first album to “blackstar”. i thought he bought back all his licensing rights during his lifetime. is this just my thoughts or can anybody confirm the legal rights situation regarding bowie?

70. Paul Kent says:

Excellent news. There must be plenty set aside for future box sets if they’re not saving this! Two things to put me off the 2CD/DVD: 1) 21 quid extra for a DVD, and 2) Caitlin Moran (!!!)

71. jobo says:

They’re really cashing in now since he died.

• Alan says:

At least this is something unreleased, that fans have been wanting for years.

• richard says:

Glastonbury was already out in excellent stereo soundboard en bootlegged many many times even in superb quality…

• Steve Thorpe says:

Is that really your only (initial) reaction to this news?? It’s a fantastic release for all Bowie fans!

• Johnny says:

Not sure I’d call this “cashing in” this is a pretty classic set and if there’s one component of Bowies career that’s been overlooked it’s his live work.
      For fans this is a terrific release.

• Simon Evans says:

Surely, jobo, it’s only cashing in if people don’t want it. This is previously unreleased and the first two comments suggest it is desirable.