David Bowie / New video for Blackstar’s ‘I Can’t Give Everything Away’

giveeverything

David Bowie‘s longtime designer Jonathan Barnbrook has created an ‘animated visual’ for I Can’t Give Everything Away, the last song on his last studio album, ★ (Blackstar).

This video has been released as the news came in that David Bowie’s swansong is the second biggest selling album of 2016 so far in the UK (behind, you guessed it, Adele). David’s death in January has resulted in many of his albums taking up permanent residence in the UK albums charts and it therefore comes as no surprise that six Bowie albums are in the top 40 for the year to date (see the list below). Very nice to see Hunky Dory doing so well.

The chart positions of the David Bowie albums in the UK chart for 2016

02 – BLACKSTAR – RCA
04 – BEST OF BOWIE – PARLOPHONE
10 – NOTHING HAS CHANGED – THE VERY BEST OF DAVID BOWIE – PARLOPHONE
22 – HUNKY DORY – PARLOPHONE
24 – THE RISE AND FALL OF ZIGGY STARDUST – PARLOPHONE
38 – ALADDIN SANE – PARLOPHONE

Watch the video for I Can’t Give Everything Away, below.

davidbowie_ blackstar_CD

CD

davidbowie_blackstarvinyl

Vinyl LP

12 responses to David Bowie / New video for Blackstar’s ‘I Can’t Give Everything Away’

1. Tom says:

A nice understated visual to go with what is a brilliantly affecting track.

2. Brian says:

A bit of eye candy but that’s about it. They could have given it a different mix or something. And why no physical release as a single?

3. William says:

I thought it was a great video utilizing the artwork from the Blackstar album and with a lovely nod to Bowie at the end. Not sentimental and allowing the song, and it’s message, to speak for itself.

4. Runicen says:

Am I the only one relieved this is an “animated visual” and not a fully filmed video featuring Bowie himself?

This song wrecks me enough as it is. I think another video with the same impact as Lazarus would do me in.

5. edward says:

yeah I couldnt cope with anything else after lazarus, and to think at the time before his death when I watched lazarus i didnt get it but then after his death it made complete sense.
    But its not a video I can watch anymore as it brings me to tears.

6. claudio says:

SIGN’O’THE TIMES INSPIRED VIDEO, I GUESS… BRILLIANT SONG, AS USUAL!!! RIP BOWIE KING!!!

7. Don says:

Interesting that “Best of Bowie” is outselling the “new/improved/updated” “Nothing Has Changed” compilation.

• Gary Russell says:

Probably more to do with one actually being called “The Best of Bowie” whilst the other sounds like a normal album until you look closer.

8. Straker says:

Barnbrook used to make me tea back in the late eighties when he was on work placement where I had a job. Nice guy and obviously talented as hell even back then. He’s a big John Foxx fan as well to his credit. Does design work for him too! Pretty cool seeing early draughts and rough sketches back then of some of his typefaces that are now seen absolutely everywhere, globally. About the only thing I have now that he doesn’t is…..a full head of hair! ;-)

9. Randy Metro says:

I like lyric videos and I am glad it is not as depressing as the last video – majestic, iconic, but depressing. As others have commented: can’t take another video like Lazarus, and Major Tom (or George Clooney) at the end was a nice lighthearted nod to our dearly departed Bowie.
    I wonder if there might be 7 video songs selected from Blackstar as singles?

10. Stephen E Cohen says:

This has been my favorite track off “Blackstar” from the moment I first listened to the album. It has had a private meaning for me over the past few months that actually had nothing to do with David Bowie’s death. Anyway, the video is simple, and I am fine with that. I found most of the videos after John Lennon’s death to be nothing but home movies with the same repetitive scenes (“Nobody Told Me” is an obvious example). Glad that it is not going to be this way for David Bowie, who was such a private person.