David Bowie’s final recordings to appear on Lazarus Cast Album

lazarus_cast

Features three songs recorded during Blackstar sessions

David Bowie‘s final studio recordings are to be included on the two-CD and vinyl editions of original cast recordings to his and Enda Walsh’s musical Lazarus.

Co-produced by Bowie and Tony Visconti and recorded with Donny McCaslin and his quartet, the same band that played on Bowie’s ★ (Blackstar) album, these last three songs — No Plan, Killing A Little Time, When I Met You — were already an integral part of the musical Lazarus, but David’s versions have remained unreleased until now. The original ★ version of the song Lazarus is also included on the cast album.

The cast recording album is therefore a two-CD set with the cast’s interpretations on the first disc and the David Bowie recordings on disc two. A ★ deluxe had been widely expected, but this format makes a lot of sense and of course means that fans aren’t buying the same album over again. I saw Michael C Hall perform Lazarus at the Mercury Awards in Hammersmith just last night and thought he was magnificent.

db-lazarus-lp-packshotwhite

In addition there will be a three-LP version of this album. An exclusive version of this 3LP set is offered via the David Bowie Store with the third record pressed on white vinyl. The 3LP links below are all black vinyl. The exclusive version is limited to 3,000 units.

The UK opening of Lazarus is on 8 November, which is 11 months after it debuted in New York. This Cast Album with the new Bowie recordings is issued on 21 October 2016 via ISO / Columbia Records.

Various

Lazarus cast recording 2CD

Shop Price GBP Stock

Various

Lazarus cast recording 3LP vinyl

Shop Price GBP Stock

track_listing

CD 1:

1. Hello Mary Lou (Goodbye Heart) – Ricky Nelson
2. Lazarus – Michael C. Hall & Original New York Cast of Lazarus
3. It’s No Game – Michael C. Hall, Lynn Craig & Original New York Cast of Lazarus
4. This Is Not America – Sophia Anne Caruso & Original New York Cast of Lazarus
5. The Man Who Sold The World – Charlie Pollack
6. No Plan – Sophia Anne Caruso
7. Love Is Lost – Michael Esper & Original New York Cast of Lazarus
8. Changes – Cristin Milioti & Original New York Cast of Lazarus
9. Where Are We Now – Michael C. Hall & Original New York Cast of Lazarus
10. Absolute Beginners – Michael C. Hall, Cristin Milioti, Michael Esper, Sophia Anne Caruso, Krystina Alabado & Original New York Cast of Lazarus
11. Dirty Boys – Michael Esper
12. Killing A Little Time – Michael C. Hall
13. Life On Mars – Sophia Anne Caruso
14. All The Young Dudes – Nicholas Christopher, Lynn Craig, Michael Esper, Sophia Anne Caruso & Original New York Cast of Lazarus
15. Sound And Vision – David Bowie
16. Always Crashing in the Same Car – Cristin Militia
17. Valentine’s Day – Michael Esper & Original New York Cast of Lazarus
18. When I Met You – Michael C. Hall & Krystina Alabama
19. Heroes – 4:43 – Michael C. Hall, Sophia Anne Caruso & Original New York Cast of Lazarus

CD 2:
1. Lazarus – David Bowie
2. No Plan – David Bowie
3. Killing A Little Time – David Bowie
4. When I Met You – David Bowie

3LP Edition

Side 1
1. Hello Mary Lou (Goodbye Heart) – Ricky Nelson
2. Lazarus – Michael C. Hall and Original New York Cast of Lazarus
3. It’s No Game – Michael C. Hall, Lynn Craig, and Original New York Cast of Lazarus
4. This Is Not America – Sophia Anne Caruso and Original New York Cast of Lazarus
5. The Man Who Sold the World – Charlie Pollack

Side 2
1. No Plan – Sophia Anne Caruso
2. Love Is Lost – Michael Esper and Original New York Cast of Lazarus
3. Changes – Cristin Milioti and Original New York Cast of Lazarus
4. Where Are We Now? – Michael C. Hall and Original New York Cast of Lazarus

Side 3
1. Absolute Beginners – Michael C. Hall, Cristin Milioti, Michael Esper, Sophia Anne Caruso, Krystina Alabado, and Original New York Cast of Lazarus
2. Dirty Boys – Michael Esper
3. Killing a Little Time – Michael C. Hall
4. Life On Mars? – Sophia Anne Caruso
5. All the Young Dudes – Nicholas Christopher, Lynn Craig, Michael Esper, Sophia Anne Caruso, and Original New York Cast of Lazarus

Side 4
1. Sound And Vision – David Bowie
2. Always Crashing In The Same Car – Cristin Milioti
3. Valentine’s Day – Michael Esper and Original New York Cast of Lazarus
4. When I Met You – Michael C. Hall and Krystina Alabado
5. Heroes – Michael C. Hall, Sophia Anne Caruso, and Original New York Cast of Lazarus

Side 5
1. Lazarus – David Bowie
2. No Plan – David Bowie
3. Killing a Little Time – David Bowie
4. When I Met You – David Bowie

61 responses to David Bowie’s final recordings to appear on Lazarus Cast Album

1. John Hirst says:

I’m glad I have your updates on Twitter – managed to nab one of the 3LP versions with the white vinyl. I imagine they will go pretty quickly.

2. Garry says:

I still think there will be a deluxe edition – I mean, look at box sets etc they’re rolling out – almost every album he’s ever released has had a deluxe edition in recent years.

3. David says:

Thanks Paul got one too,not falling into the trap of paying £400 like I did for blackstar.

4. Ivan says:

I can’t wait for this. Having Bowie’s last recording marks a monumental milestone for me personally. I bought the iTunes digital album, which had instant downloads of “Lazarus” and “Life On Mars?”, which is absolutely heartbreaking and magnificent. I’d love to get the limited LP, but it is damn pricey…

• Heinz says:

I agree, Ivan, the download tracks sound superb!
      If Bowie’s last recordings are a monumental milestone for you (like for me),
      the price shouldn’t stop you from getting the limited edition…..
      like I just did.

• Ivan says:

I agree, but as I was going through the checkout process I noticed it’s around 50€ s&h alone to Spain, making a total of over 120€! My gosh, they may ship this release from the USA, otherwise I don’t get it…

• Ivan says:

Heinz, I managed to score a copy of the limited 3-LP at B&N for $58, priority s&h included!Lucky me and lucky you for having scored a couple of the 3,000 copies!

5. Steve W says:

Don’t normally buy vinyl anymore but this felt too important to miss. Thanks, Paul.

6. Paolo says:

I think I will download the Bowie tracks, which make a nice ‘Lazarus’ EP, and keep on waiting for a ‘Blackstar’ deluxe edition to include them, eventually.

Any news on standalone releases for the three studio albums included on ‘Who Can I Be Now?’, the box is imminent.

7. stephen d king says:

Thanks Paul, managed to get the limited LP set again. Can’t believe how much the Blackstar clear vinyl goes for now and very glad I ordered that upfront.

8. Chris Lancaster says:

Great stuff. Just pre-ordered the 2CD set for just £10.99, so it’s come down in price already!

9. fredpostman says:

Thanks for the link Paul”Blackstar’ still effects me after all these months….you will never be forgotten Mr Jones.

• Danny says:

Me too – I find “Lazarus” particularly hard to listen to.

Thanks for the heads-up Paul: limited edition vinyl duly ordered.

10. adam shaw says:

Thanks Paul , you have cost me plenty today , Queen and now this !!

11. Chris Lancaster says:

I should have added that I can’t wait to hear the new tracks — or indeed to see the musical when it reaches London. I keep thinking that the impact of the album on me will lessen, but if anything it grows with each listen. For me, it may well be my favourite Bowie album, and maybe even my favourite album full stop. I hope the three new tracks are worthy additions to the Bowie repertoire, and not just fillers that didn’t make the album proper for a reason.

The fact that the three ‘new’ tracks are integral to the musical suggests there are more than mere leftovers. Anyone who has seen the musical in New York must know the songs, come to think of it. Agree about Blackstar – it does get better and better.

• RJSWinchester says:

Even when setting all emotion aside, Blackstar is a masterpiece.

12. Guy says:

Thanks for the ‘heads up again Paul! Ltd 3LP now ordered!

13. FROM MARS says:

Beautiful Triple Vinyl Bagged!

Thanks Paul

14. Johnny Feathers says:

This is another one I’m debating between CD or download. I’m all for saving space–I never even bought a physical copy of Blackstar. (The pdf booklet helped justify it.) But not having seen the show, I’m curious about the visuals, artwork, etc. I’m not sure how often I’ll revisit the cast album, but having some originals in there makes this essential.

For little over a tenner for the 2CD physical package, not too much debating required for me, to be honest. (inevitably have ordered the limited 3LP too!)

• RJSWinchester says:

I’ve just listened to the previews of Lazarus and Life On Mars on Amazon. Typical Broadway vocals with Life On Mars sounding particularly schmaltzy. It must be fantastic to see and hear the songs performed on stage but I really can’t imagine many people having the cast recordings on repeat play.

• Heinz says:

Same here…….;-)

15. Steve Marine says:

Am I the only one who doesn’t like Michael C. Hall’s singing voice? Nevertheless, this is essential. I’m happy to have new Bowie music, but sad that this may be the last of it. Hopefully, he’s got more in the trunk that can come out at a later date. Demos…anything…But life without more Bowie music is a sad life indeed.

16. Jamil Ahmad says:

Bit disappointed with this release. I would have preferred the Cast album to be a completely separate CD release sale… Then, I think it would have been better to release a Deluxe 2CD and 1dvd set… the original Blackstar album/unreleased tracks/ all the promo videos! That said, I’m still going to buy this release!

17. Trash says:

Had to buy this just to get the final Bowie recordings on vinyl (especially white vinyl).
    I was on those that hesitated about buying the clear vinyl of Blackstar and have regretted it ever since (have you looked at the prices on eBay???).

As has already been mentioned – I doubt I will listen to the cast recordings very often but it will at least be interesting to hear these interpretations.

Thank you for the heads up Paul.

18. Charles says:

Wish it included the 12 minute version of ★ that iTunes screwed us out of.
    Can’t wait.

19. graham says:

Interesting prices on the CD, the Bowie store has it at 19.99 GBP yet your links have 10.99 GBP. If it was a totally Bowie LP I would go for the Vinyl but for three songs and in effect a bunch of covers the CD willl do fine

20. Gansbarre says:

Any guesses on what constellation that is on the cover? Or why “Lazar” is separated from “Us” C

21. Brian says:

Will there be a download only? I only want the three songs.

• RJSWinchester says:

@Brian. Yes. The download will be available from most of the usual outlets on the day of release. I’ll be getting the three tracks from Google Play. mp3 @320kbps.

22. paul says:

barnes and noble was 55 dollars inc shipping to ireland for the 3 lp set ,nearly 30 dollars less than through bowies site

• David says:

barnes and noble sell the limited set white LP too????? they send to Italy ? in their site isn´t specificated that´s limited set

23. bertielego says:

Thank you Paul!
    Just ordered the 3xLP set with white vinyl :)

24. Colin M says:

By the way, there will be a remix of Life On Mars released next year.

25. Kevin Allen says:

I’ve never been a fan of other people singing Bowie songs and hearing Michael C. Hall singing Lazarus has done nothing to change that.

I know there are loads of covers bands and tribute acts making a good living off pretending to be ABBA or some such but it’s really not for me, despite friends, who really did see Bowie in 1973, swearing that watching Woody Woodmansey’s band was like going back in time.

I heard recordings of a couple of the New York Theatre shows and thought that just a straight forward play without the singing would have been preferable. Admittedly they weren’t professional recordings but the singing did grate.

Hopefully, at some stage, a film will be made of Lazarus sans singing.

Having said that, I have bought a ticket to see the play in King’s Cross on 25th October. Perhaps by 26th October I’ll have changed my mind.

Those last recordings will be re-released ad infinitum so there’s no rush.

How come no enterprising record company has ever attempted to market the audio recording T. J. Newton croaking his way through “Jerusalem”? Nice coloured vinyl, limited edition, few photos of T.J.

26. Steve Redford says:

Limited vinyl ordered

27. Pingback:Saturday Deluxe / 17 Sep 2016 | superdeluxeedition

28. gwynogue says:

Only interested in the Bowie tracks, but with the ridiculous cost of downloads in Australia it’s probably cheaper for me to just buy the CD.

I think I’d enjoy the ‘cast’ recordings eventually, but it’ll take some getting used to – when you’re so used to hearing songs performed by one artist/group, it can be quite unsettling hearing them performed by others. Especially when the original artist/song means so much to you. That’s why as much as I love ABBA, I simply cannot stand ‘Mamma Mia!’ (the musical/film)

• Johnny Feathers says:

I thought it was interesting, before the release of Blackstar or his death, that the first time I heard Lazarus (the song) was by Michael C. Hall, performed on the Tonight Show. Sort of took the idea of Bowie as a series of personas to a whole new level–Bowie’s persona was a whole other person entirely.

29. R.naud says:

Can’t help being cynical about this release and “admire” the clever mind in charge of marketing. Putting 3 unreleased songs by Bowie, his very last recordings at that, is genius! Best way to make Bowie fans drool at the prospect of buying the soundtrack for a schmaltzy musical they’ll only ever listen to once… The label must be laughing all the way to the bank! :)

30. Johnny Feathers says:

Pre-0rdered through iTunes. Doesn’t seem like I need a physical copy of it anyway. I’ll probably hold off on listening to the two early-release tracks.

31. JudeMac says:

It has to make you wonder if there are STILL more lost tracks from the end of his career ;-)

32. Chris Hanington says:

Has anyone else noticed that the “Limited Edition” of 3000 for the white vinyl is no longer in the description on Boweinet? Paul it would be good to confirm just how many white vinyl records they will be producing as my guess it will probably be more than the 3000 making it a little less desirable perhaps.

33. Pingback:How to buy the Lazarus Cast Album | superdeluxeedition

34. Kevin Allen says:

If you want to have a listen it’s on YouTube … https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lazarus+cast+recording

35. Peter says:

Arrived today, the three new Bowie tracks, really should have been on Blackstar ! Just one listen and I like “when I met you”

36. Francois says:

The Lazarus mix is really different from the “blackstar” album mix. I find it “less dark”, as I think this is a “dying man song” I really think the album mix suits the song better.
    As for the 3 new tracks, “no Plan” (especcially) and “Killing a Little Time” are in the blackstar mood and are top-quality tracks. “When I met you” is the weakest of the three for me. it sounds more like a “the next day” left over, uptempo and “rockier”.
    As for the cast album, it is not that bad after one listen, although I must admit M C Hall voice is annoying, Charlie Pollock’s rendition of “The Man who sold the World” is quite interesting and Sophia Caruso’s tracks are really good as far as covers go.

37. Francois says:

I meant the Lazarus track sung by David Bowie in the extra CD has a really different mix from the Blackstar album version…

38. Kevin Allen says:

I didn’t really like the Lazarus cast album but I’ve just been to see Lazarus at King’s Cross Theatre and it was fantastic.

Show started late and Michael C. Hall was lying on the stage for about 10 minutes waiting for everybody to take their seats and the house lights to go down. I was worried he might doze off.

Eventually started just before 8.15pm.

Michael Esper performing Valentine’s Day was a highlight. The audience even broke into, (quite subdued, half-hearted), applause at the end of that song.

The two hours flew by.

Highly recommended.

Now, about the movie with Gary Oldman ….