Deep Purple‘s 1972 Machine Head album gets a 40th anniversary reissue on 8 October which includes a 4CD+DVD box set.
The influential album was the band’s sixth, and would top the chart in the UK. Its most famous song Smoke On The Water described the burning down of Montreux Casino in Switzerland where the band had originally planned to record the album.
This new box set features a new 2012 master of the album, the 1997 Roger Glover remix, a stereo version of the original Quad Mix, a new mix of the ‘In Concert’ 1972 live recording from the original tapes and a hi-res stereo and surround sound Quad Mix on DVD. The reissue will also be available on vinyl along with the live album.
The box will retail for around a very reasonable £35 in the UK
‘MACHINE HEAD’ DELUXE EDITION (Box)
This 4 ‘purple’ CD+DVD deluxe edition will be accompanied with fully illustrated 64 page hardback booklet, housed in a luxury box.
• CD1: ‘MACHINE HEAD’ ORIGINAL ALBUM NEW 2012 REMASTER. Featuring non-album b-side, ‘When A Blind Man Cries’.
• CD2: 1997 REMIX BY DEEP PURPLE’S BASSIST ROGER GLOVER. Remixed from the original multi-tracks, this unique version reveals many subtleties and nuances from the original recordings, heard afresh.
• CD3: ORIGINAL ALBUM QUAD SQ STEREO (2012 REMASTER) Includes; the Quad SQ as stereo, in its undecoded form, it often varies considerably from the original stereo mix of the album; ‘Maybe I’m A Leo’ and ‘Lazy’ contain alternate guitar solos to the original album mix. Plus two single edits: ‘Smoke On The Water’ (an edit created to be the fourth single in the US from Machine Head, coupled with a live version from Made In Japan. It went on to be the band’s biggest selling single ever) and ‘Lazy’ Japanese b-side.
(Engineered by Martin Birch Aquand SQ Stereo mixed at Abbey Road Studios, March 1972 and remastered at Abbey Road Studios, March 2012 by Peter Mew)
• CD4: IN CONCERT ’72 (2012 MIX) (RECORDED LIVE AT PARIS THEATRE, LONDON 9TH MARCH 1972)
Features new 2012 mix from the original 8 track tapes with the original set list in its correct order for the first time. Recorded at the BBC’s Paris Theatre, London on 9th March 1972, remixed at Abbey Road Studios, and features photographs by Barry Plummer taken at the concert itself.
**All CDs are on purple discs**
• DVD: 2012 HIGH RESOULTION REMASTER & SURROUND MIX
– Audio only DVD, featuring:
– The ORIGINAL ALBUM 2012 REMASTER in 96/24 LPCM stereo
– ‘When A Blind Man Cries’ 2012 REMASTER in 96/24 LPCM stereo
– ORIGINAL ALBUM QUAD MIX (Quad to 4.1: DTS 96/24 & Dolby Digital)
– BONUS 5.1 MIXES (5.1 DTS 96/24 & Dolby Digital) of ‘When A Blind Man Cries’ ‘Maybe I’m A Leo’ and ‘Lazy’.
64page book features:
• Detailed essays from original bassist Roger Glover and Mojo magazine editor Phil Alexander
• Quotations from Deep Purple fans Mikael Akerfelt, Luke Morley, Sebastian Vettel, Eddie Jordan, Brian Tatler, Janick Gers and Peter Hook.
• An interview with famed photographer Didi Zill, whose photos of the legendary recording sessions in Switzerland illustrate the booklet.
Machine Head 1CD
• Accompanying the 40th Anniversary box is a 1CD 40th Anniversary Special Edition release of: ‘MACHINE HEAD’ ORIGINAL ALBUM NEW 2012 REMASTER. Featuring non-album b-side, ‘When A Blind Man Cries’.
• Packaged in a gatefold digipack with a rollfold lyric sheet booklet.
Deep Purple “Machine Head” 40th Anniversary LP/7”
• Original album, newly remastered in 2012 by Jon Astley
• On audiophile 180gram heavyweight vinyl in a gatefold sleeve faithfully reproducing the original cover
• Geaturing a 6 panel lyric sheet
• The package also features a special bonus 7″ of the ‘Never Before’ single featuring the newly remastered non-album b-side, ‘When A Blind Man Cries’ house in a Purple Records house bag.
Deep Purple “In Concert ‘72” Double LP & and 7”
Double LP set on purple vinyl:
• Features a new 2012 mix from the original 8 track tapes with the original set list in its correct order for the first time.
• Recorded at the BBC’s Paris Theatre, London on 9th March 1972, it was remixed at Abbey Road Studios, and features new artwork and photographs by Barry Plummer taken at the concert itself.
• Because of the duration of the concert and issues with sound quality in relation to the length of audio on sides of LPs, the encore “Lucille” is featured on the A-side of a 33 1/3 purple vinyl 7” housed in a Purple Records house bag.
• The B-side features an exclusive and previously unreleased version of the live rarity “Maybe I’m A Leo” recorded at the soundcheck for the Paris Theatre show.