Diana Ross / Diana clear vinyl LP

diana_culturefactory

Culture Factory USA are producing a limited edition clear vinyl edition of Diana Ross‘ 1980 album Diana.

Produced by Chic members Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards, the album was a massive success and spawned three big hit singles including Upside Down and I’m Coming Out. A deluxe edition of this album was issued back in 2001 which included a bonus disc that featured the original Chic mix of the record before it was remixed (without Rodgers and Edwards’ knowledge) for the official release. This new LP release is the well-known standard version of the record.

This vinyl edition features the original gatefold jacket, reproduced inner sleeves and OBI-strip and is limited to 1000 units. Culture Factory are donating a dollar for each unit sold to the OneOrlando fund.

Diana will be reissued on 2 December 2016.

Diana Ross

1. Have Fun (Again)
  2. My Old Piano
  3. Now That You’re Gone
  4. Give Up

24 responses to Diana Ross / Diana clear vinyl LP

1. D.Harris says:

A classic re-issue! A nice surprise from Culture Factory.

2. Mike the Fish says:

I think they did know as Nile said (possibly in the sleeve notes for that issue) that he considered getting his name removed from the credits. There was also some re-recording of her vocals for the approved mix.

3. DJ Control says:

Bought a reissued deluxe edition of this album recently directly from UMe and to my horror it was on burnt cd-r’s and in a standard slim 2cd plastic jewel case. No digipak. I emailed them thinking I’d perhaps been sent a promo by mistake but evidently not. What does SDE and fellow posters think about major labels issuing product this way? I was mortified!

• Ralph says:

But you did survive the shock, right?

• Joseph says:

Seriously? Not a put-on? If marked as promos it might actually not be a bad thing. Regardless, hard to believe it was anything other than a one-off mistake.

• Mike the Fish says:

CD-R of a previously released album from a major label doesn’t really feel like a product to me.

• hamicle says:

The same happened to me recently when I bought a mew and shrinkwrapped copy of the 2007 re-issue of ‘Extricate’ by The Fall. Nothing to indicate on the packaging that the discs were CDrs. I bought ‘Shift Work’ at the same time and it was the manufactured CDs.

Universal must have decided that this is how they want to go about keeping some of their catalogue titles in print, for whatever reason they’d rather do batches of CDrs than manufacture 500 at a time. That’s entirely fine, but they should have the decency to indicate as such on the packaging.

4. Francesco says:

Can’t see the time to have it again on vinyl. I bought back in 2003 the deluxe edition in digipack. Great reissue.

5. Adam shaw says:

I bought the 2 cd delux when it came out and it wasn’t a CD-R.
    I’d have sent it back and looked on eBay for the original release .
    Great release but I’ll give this a miss .
    These vinyl reissues are very random .

6. Daniel ( from Berlin ) says:

Better would be Deluxe Edition of “Force Behind The Power” with all 12” remixes !

7. richard says:

I do remember the very bad compressed sound quality from this company with CD version(s) of many titles incl. Diana Ross so .. anyone who has other info .. ?

Richard

8. Bryan says:

It does say ‘Barnes and Noble Exclusive’ on the sleeve sticker, so how come it’s available from Amazon?

“Barnes and Noble Exclusive” normally refers to US retailers. Obviously Amazon in the UK is outside that territory. There was an orange Norah Jones vinyl which was a Barnes and Noble exclusive but available in various European Amazons.

9. DJ Control says:

Thanks for the reply guys. It’s not a put on. The discs have normal screen printing om label side but the discs are cd-r. The compact disc digital audio logo is also absent from the packaging. Was offered a refund if I returned but had to pay for return shipping from Australia to USA which costs nearly as much as the cd set. And it’s not a one off. Personally I don’t think it’s good enough.

• Bryan says:

Some video companies like MGM are producing DVDr ‘on demand’. I wonder if this set is the same?

• DJ Control says:

Bryan, My point is I was not made aware that I was being sold a CD-r. If I had known that I would not have parted with my money. MGM ae very openly advertising the fact that they selling manufactured on demand product.

10. Graham Piazza says:

Buyers beware – these guys produce rubbish. I have some of their Robert Palmer re-issues and they are the worst sounding CDs in my collection. There is no indication on the sleeve saying how this was made – it may have been mastered from a cd. You have been warned.

• Tim says:

I was thinking of buying the Diana vinyl reissue but have read lots of negative reports about culture factory releases being distorted from Over mastering. Have you heard any of their vinyl releases please?

11. Mick says:

So I take it this will be strictly available at Barnes & Noble here in the U.S.?
    I echo the sentiments about Culture Factory producing rubbish brickwalled CD’s. C.F. actually has a few coloured vinyl reissues out there – I saw a few by Ted Nugent at a few different stores over the past few months. Curious about the sound of their vinyl releases, as I’ve never heard any reviews on them.

12. Mito says:

It is only available at Barnes and Noble in the US.

13. HS says:

I might get this – already have the original vinyl and the original deluxe CD but it looks like a nice little addition to my giant Diana collection.

14. Rufino says:

I just picked this up today at B&N, I guess the release date was moved up.