Do It Again: Pet Sounds 50th anniversary box set on the way

Capitol/UMe will issue a 50th anniversary edition of The Beach Boys 1966 album Pet Sounds this June that will feature the much-delayed blu-ray audio and four CDs of content including previously unreleased live recordings.

The five-disc Collector’s Edition is presented as a hardcover book and features the remastered original album in stereo and mono as well as session outtakes, alternate mixes and said live recordings.

The blu-ray features the hi-res 5.1 surround sound mix, which has been out before of course, but additionally contains a new hi-res instrumental version of the album

There will also be a 2CD edition which pairs the remastered album in stereo and mono with highlights from the collectors edition’s additional tracks and vinyl fans are offered 180g LP editions of the album in mono and stereo with “faithfully replicated original artwork.”

The 50th anniversary editions of Pet Sounds will be released on 10 June 2016.

The Beach Boys

4CD+blu-ray audio box

CD 1

Pet Sounds (Mono)

1. Wouldn’t It Be Nice
2. You Still Believe In Me
3. That’s Not Me
4. Don’t Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
5. I’m Waiting For The Day
6. Let’s Go Away For Awhile
7. Sloop John B
8. God Only Knows
9. I Know There’s An Answer
10. Here Today
11. I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times
12. Pet Sounds
13. Caroline No

Pet Sounds (Stereo)

14. Wouldn’t It Be Nice
15. You Still Believe In Me
16. That’s Not Me
17. Don’t Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
18. I’m Waiting For The Day
19. Let’s Go Away For Awhile
20. Sloop John B
21. God Only Knows
22. I Know There’s An Answer
23. Here Today
24. I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times
25. Pet Sounds
26. Caroline No

Additional Material

27. Caroline No (Promotional Spot #2)
28. Don’t Talk. . . (Unused Background Vocals)
29. Hang On To Your Ego (Alternate Mix)
30. Caroline No (Promotional Spot #1)

CD 2

The Pet Sounds Sessions

1. Sloop John B (Highlights from Tracking Date)
2. Sloop John B (Stereo Backing Track)
3. Trombone Dixie (Highlights from Tracking Date)
4. Trombone Dixie (Stereo Backing Track)
5. Pet Sounds (Highlights from Tracking Date)
6. Pet Sounds (Stereo Track Without Guitar Overdub)
7. Let’s Go Away For Awhile (Highlights from Tracking Date)
8. Let’s Go Away For Awhile (Stereo Track Without String Overdub)
9. Wouldn’t It Be Nice (Highlights from Tracking Date)
10. Wouldn’t It Be Nice (Stereo Backing Track)
11. Wouldn’t It Be Nice (Stereo Track with Background Vocals)
12. You Still Believe In Me (Intro – Session)
13. You Still Believe In Me (Intro – Master Take)
14. You Still Believe In Me (Highlights from Tracking Date)
15. You Still Believe In Me (Stereo Backing Track)
16. Caroline No (Highlights from Tracking Date)
17. Caroline No (Stereo Backing Track)
18. Hang On To Your Ego (Highlights from Tracking Date)
19. Hang On To Your Ego (Stereo Backing Track)
20. I Know There’s An Answer (Vocal Session) [previously unreleased]
21. Don’t Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder) (Brian’s Instrumental Demo)
22. Don’t Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder) (Stereo Backing Track)
23. Don’t Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder) (String Overdub)
24. I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times (Highlights from Tracking Date)
25. I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times (Stereo Backing Track)
26. That’s Not Me (Highlights from Tracking Date)
27. That’s Not Me (Stereo Backing Track)

CD 3

The Pet Sounds Sessions (continued)

1. Good Vibrations (Highlights from First Tracking Date)
2. Good Vibrations (Stereo Backing Track)
3. I’m Waiting For The Day (Highlights from Tracking Date)
4. I’m Waiting For The Day (Stereo Backing Track)
5. God Only Knows (Highlights from Tracking Date)
6. God Only Knows (Stereo Backing Track)
7. Here Today (Highlights from Tracking Date)
8. Here Today (Stereo Backing Track)
Alternate Versions
9. Wouldn’t It Be Nice (Mono Alternate Mix 1)
10. You Still Believe In Me (Mono Alternate Mix)
11. I’m Waiting For The Day (Mono Alternate Mix, Mike sings lead)
12. Sloop John B (Mono Alternate Mix, Carl sings first verse)
13. God Only Knows (Mono Alternate Mix, with sax solo)
14. I Know There’s An Answer (Alternate Mix) [previously unreleased]
15. Here Today (Mono Alternate Mix, Brian sings lead)
16. I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times (Mono Alternate Mix)
17. Banana & Louie
18. Caroline No (Original Speed, Stereo Mix)
19. Dog Barking Session
20. God Only Knows (With A Cappella Tag)
21. Wouldn’t It Be Nice (Mono Alternate Mix 2)
22. Sloop John B (Mono Alternate Mix, Brian sings lead throughout)
23. God Only Knows (Mono Alternate Mix, Brian sings lead)
24. Caroline No (Original Speed, Mono Mix)

CD 4

Live Recordings [all previously unreleased]

1. Wouldn’t It Be Nice
2. Sloop John B
3. God Only Knows
Michigan State University, October 22, 1966
4. Good Vibrations
5. God Only Knows
6. Wouldn’t It Be Nice
Daughters of the American Revolution Constitution Hall, Washington DC, November 19, 1967
7. God Only Knows
Carnegie Hall, New York, November 23, 1972 (2nd Show)
8. God Only Knows
Jamaican World Music Festival, Montego Bay, Jamaica, November, 26, 1982
9. Sloop John B
Universal Studios, Universal City, California, May, 23, 1989
10. Caroline No
11. You Still Believe In Me
Paramount Theater, New York City, November 26, 1993

Stack-O-Vocals

12. Wouldn’t It Be Nice
13. You Still Believe In Me
14. That’s Not Me
15. Don’t Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
16. I’m Waiting For The Day
17. Sloop John B
18. God Only Knows
19. I Know There’s An Answer
20. Here Today
21. I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times
22. Caroline No

Bonus Track

23. Good Vibrations (Master Track with Partial Vocal) (previously unreleased)

Blu-ray Pure Audio Disc
Pet Sounds:
5.1 Surround Sound: 96kHz/24-bit
Mono; Stereo; Stereo Instrumental (new to hi res): 192kHz/24-bit

1. Wouldn’t It Be Nice
2. You Still Believe In Me
3. That’s Not Me
4. Don’t Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
5. I’m Waiting For The Day
6. Let’s Go Away For Awhile
7. Sloop John B
8. God Only Knows
9. I Know There’s An Answer
10. Here Today
11. I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times
12. Pet Sounds
13. Caroline No

Additional Material in 5.1 Surround and Stereo

14. Unreleased Backgrounds (Unused Intro for “Don’t Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)”)
15. Wouldn’t It Be Nice (Session Highlights)
16. Wouldn’t It Be Nice (Alternative Mix without Lead Vocal)
17. God Only Knows (Session Highlights)
18. God Only Knows (Master Track Mix with A Cappella Tag)
19. Summer Means New Love

petsounds_cover

2CD deluxe edition

CD 1

Pet Sounds (Mono)

1. Wouldn’t It Be Nice
2. You Still Believe In Me
3. That’s Not Me
4. Don’t Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
5. I’m Waiting For The Day
6. Let’s Go Away For Awhile
7. Sloop John B
8. God Only Knows
9. I Know There’s An Answer
10. Here Today
11. I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times
12. Pet Sounds
13. Caroline No

Pet Sounds (Stereo)

14. Wouldn’t It Be Nice
15. You Still Believe In Me
16. That’s Not Me
17. Don’t Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
18. I’m Waiting For The Day

3. God Only Knows
Michigan State University, October 22, 1966
4. Good Vibrations
5. God Only Knows
6. Wouldn’t It Be Nice
7. God Only Knows
Carnegie Hall, New York, November 23, 1972 (2nd Show)
8. God Only Knows
Jamaican World Music Festival, Montego Bay, Jamaica, November, 26, 1982
9. Sloop John B
Universal Studios, Universal City, California, May, 23, 1989
10. Caroline No
11. You Still Believe In Me
Paramount Theater, New York City, November 26, 1993

Instrumentals
12. Wouldn’t It Be Nice
13. You Still Believe In Me
14. That’s Not Me
15. Don’t Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
16. I’m Waiting For The Day

petsounds_cover

Pet Sounds Mono vinyl LP

petsounds_cover

Pet Sounds Stereo vinyl LP

58 responses to Do It Again: Pet Sounds 50th anniversary box set on the way

1. Rob Wilcock says:

No UK edition pal? I’ll have to wait for the Diamond Anniversary Edition then…

2. BritinDetroit says:

And Brian is out there with Al and Blondie, giving us Pet Sounds one “last time” – they cruise in to the Fox in Detroit on September 30th loaded with VIP experiences and all sorts of cool stuff.

I will be in the cheapo seats having dropped $80.00 the 50th Anniversary edition in June

3. JWL says:

This album must be a leading contender in the “most reissued title in music history” competition. Even in the last 6 months it’s been reissued on SACD and heavyweight vinyl with a brand new remastering by Analogue Productions.

4. Phil Wilson says:

Whilst I love Pet Sounds, and have most of the versions that they have released, I was really excited about the live CD, but with only 11 tracks, and 4 versions of God only knows (my favourite song) (including 2 back-to-back seems a little unimaginative). Over the space of their career I am sure most of these tracks have been played live, so why not do a live version of the album, in the correct order? I do have Brian’s live version on CD, and am going to the tour this year, but I think a full live Beach Boys version would have been better. I am hopeful that the quality of these live tracks will be excellent though, and one day we may get full live albums from these gigs.

• Lee Taylor says:

Seems unlikely that “Let’s Go Away For Awhile” was played live much, if at all. That said, I agree with your point in general.

5. Eddie says:

No standalone blu-ray?

Aso, is this a new surround mix or one that has been issued before?

6. Gary C says:

Capitol, No

7. JCB613 says:

Other than the live tracks, the 4CD+blu-ray looks like it reproduces all of the 1997 Pet Sounds Sessions Box. Great for those who don’t own it, bad for those who do.

• Bassel says:

Agree JCB. My technique on this is getting the two disc deluxe edition which has the unreleased live. Unless the box set becomes way cheaper

8. jimmer77 says:

Is it just the live tracks and the blu ray that are new, compared with the Sessions box set from the 90s, Paul?

9. The existing 5.1 mix on DVD-A has come in for a lot of stick over the years with many people claiming that the channels got mixed up or that it was just a terrible mix. I have it and wouldn’t say it is terrible, but can understand why some people don’t like it.

If it is, as you say, the existing 5.1 mix, there are going to be a lot of pissed off people ;-)

I already own the DVD-A, HDCD and Sessions box, so I’ll give this a swerve, but might possibly go for the Mono vinyl.

10. Lee Taylor says:

My copy of this is the edition that came out on CD in the late 80’s with the stereo mix and “Trombone Dixie” as a bonus track. Is the mono mix appreciably different in the way that, say Revolver’s is? I’d like to pick up one of the vinyl editions, but not necessarily both.

11. Craig Hedges says:

Wouldn’t it be nice if they had done a the album as a box set of 7″ vinyl singles.

12. David says:

Let’s see.

70s vinyl issue
    Original CD issue
    CD reissue with bonus tracks
    Vinyl issue that came with Carl and the Passions
    Pet Sounds Sessions box set
    Coloured vinyl mono/stereo reissue
    BW prsents Pet Sounds Live
    5.1 Audio DVD

No more.

13. elliott buckingham says:

its available on the u-vinyl site or u-discover site universal records uk

• CJ Feeney says:

And only £99.99 to get this:

“Exclusive bundle available from the uDiscover store includes the Super Deluxe Edition plus a limited edition Pet Sounds 50th Beach Ball and Beach Bag!”

Well worth the extra £45

14. Daran says:

@ Craig Hedges
    “Wouldn’t it be nice….” We see what you did there…. :)

15. richie says:

Another Pet Sounds release/re-issue to go with all those as listed by David above, hmmm….
    Pet Sounds is one of the top 5 albums ever, fans will either be sick to death of another release or love it, me?

I can`t wait, I`m a sucker for box sets and yes I do play them and Beach Boy box sets? YEAH!

16. Stan Butler says:

Seems no time since I bought the 40th anniversary edition, the one with the green felt cover.
    That had the mono & stereo on CD and hi-res stereo & 5:1 on DVD.

Since I also have the 90’s Sessions box set, it’s probably enough for any sane person, though if it ever shows up at cut-price, I’ll probably get it.

17. Philip Cohen says:

How many times have I bought “Pet Sounds”?

Original 1960’s “Duophonic”(fake stereo) L.P.
    Rapidly withdrawn first Japanese mono CD (with 2 bonus tracks)
    First U.S.A. mono CD(with 3 bonus tracks)
    Leggo My Ego(3-CD bootleg of “Pet Sounds” sessions)
    Unsurpassed Masters Vol.13(4-CD bootleg)
    Unsurpassed Masters Vol.14(4-CD bootleg)
    Unsurpassed Masters Vol.12(2-CD bootleg incl. “Sloop John B.” sessions)
    Counterfeit of withdrawn “Pet Sounds Sessions” sampler CD
    (Only 200 original Capitol CD’s exist, and it was withdrawn when a dispute with Mike Love forced an 18-month postponement in the release of the “Pet Sounds Sessions” box.)
    “The Pet Sounds Sessions” (4-CD boxed set)
    “Pet Sounds” DVD-Audio
    “Pet Sounds” 2 L.P. Yellow(mono)/Green(stereo) vinyl set
    “Pet Sounds” mono/stereo CD(with revised stereo mix of “Wouldn’t It Be Nice”)
    “Pet Sounds” CD + DVD “40th Anniversary Edition
    “Pet Sounds” stereo audiophile L.P. from “Analog Productions”

Has any other album had this many reissue permutations? Well, yes….”Miles Davis-Kind of Blue”
    I suppose that there will also be a “Smile” 50th Anniversary edition too(in 2017), but, in that case, there are numerous misplaced tapes that have yet to be (and may someday) be found.
    The supplies of the “Smile Sessions” 5-CD + 2-L.P. + book + vinyl singles box are starting to dry up. Amazon no longer has any.

18. Jake says:

Yeah… I was going to mention Kind of Blue as a release they can’t seem to repackage enough.

I desperately want to like this album. In my head, I respect its place in history. It’s probably one of those that every music fan should have in their collection. And I like the Beach Boys. But I’ve always been pretty happy with a really good Best-Of and there aren’t a lot of songs on Pet Sounds that I really like.

However, I just got a surround-sound system and I’m always a sucker for instrumental versions of albums. So this is one where I’ll be watching for a good deal.

19. RJS Winchester says:

Much as I adore Pet Sounds, I own The Pet Sounds Sessions box set and the live stuff and Blu-Ray audio that this box set offers holds no for interest me. The Stack-O-Vocal versions are jaw-droppingly good!

20. Joseph says:

I have a somewhat off-topic, technical, and very possibly exceptionally dumb couple of questions. To press the mono mixes, does the vinyl cut any differently in this day & age than a vintage mono pressing would? Sending 2 identical channels of audio to a modern day cutting lathe is an acceptable alternative to using a true mono cutter? I have heard it’s called dual-mono; is this the standard nowadays for mono pressings to be simulated with a conventional stereo cutter? And how to know what you are getting?

21. Phil Wilson says:

The £99 version comes with a lithograph signed by Brian Wilson, the version with just the beach bag and beach ball is around £65

• Richard says:

Why do people care about somebody’s signature and pay silly money for them? Madness.

Normally I might agree with you, but Brian Wilson’s signature on the cover of Pet Sounds is extremely cool. The signed lithograph element breaks down to £30, which is hardly silly money. See how much Macca’s signature on Sgt Pepper might be worth?

• Philip Cohen says:

Really? Where are these being offered? Surely, you’re joking.

22. Charles Hodgson says:

Love the 30th Box Set. Thought the mastering on that was superb. And the Stereo version on there sounded multi-dimensional to me already, never mind 5:1 mixes. And hearing the original “Hang On To Your Ego” version of “I Know There’s An Answer” was really special. He played it that way the second time I saw the early ’00’s Pet Sounds Tour and it nearly brought tears and I KNEW at that exact point he was free from at least some of his mental chains and ready (and able) to tackle SMiLE.
    But there isn’t much on here to tempt me, so I think I’ll stick with the 30th. Tough choice for new buyers though; at least get ONE of the boxes for this masterpiece. You’ll be glad you did.

23. Dani77 says:

No standalone blu-ray?

24. JudeMac says:

This is great but WHY did they not do this before, Oh, for more Cha Ching, that’s why. I’m pretty sure this will be the last version released. Already as a collector I have bought enough of these already LOL. I’m with you one this Philip Cohen.

25. JWL says:

If you’re paying for the signature, you’re doing on good faith that Brian Wilson himself – rather than someone at the label copying his signature – is definitely signing it. Seems something of a leap of faith, especially in the case of a man who with all due respect is not exactly “with it”.

I can understand people valuing signatures they’ve received when they’ve actually met the person in question but purchased signatures, hmm…

• CJ Feeney says:

Yes, since Gordon Ramsay took someone to court for misusing his auto-signature device, I am very sceptical about any signed editions. Besides, what is on offer here is a signed lithograph, not a signed album. Yes people pay for these things, but I don’t see any value in them.

• David says:

a lot of autographed product is done by a machine (holding a real pen).

26. Galley says:

I recently bought the Analogue Productions SACD and I have the Audio Fidelity Gold CD, so I’m good. This does look like a fantastic set, though.

27. richie says:

Well I don`t know about you lot but I hope I`m around for the 75th Anniversary Box Set.

28. Jake says:

@richie – Don’t worry… I’m sure there will be 55th, 60th, 65th and 70th sets for us to buy in case we don’t make it to 75. :)

29. Pingback:Saturday Deluxe / 26 March 2016 | superdeluxeedition

30. Al Rearick says:

The 2-CD set looks tempting to me, simply for the instrumental mixes.

31. mikehaut09 says:

Are these actually NEW remasters of the stereo/mono on the 5 disc set?

32. Mike Sutton says:

Unless I am mistaken, the sessions material (bar a couple of tracks) are all the same as the first Sessions box set. The live material is really the only totally fresh material (unless you have the bootlegs). Still, I’m a sucker for this record and being the mug that I am….I will go for it.

I highly recommend the Analogue Productions re-issues LP’s. They are stunning.

33. David says:

I have seven different Pet Sound releases on CD. Still, I think I’ll have to get it for the blu-ray audio. But I’ll wait to see if they clarify whether or not it’s a new mix.

34. DAVID CARROLL says:

Time for an upgrade. The original sessions box is a tad dated and clunky. Never liked the 3 cds in the ole school double box and mono mix in the cardboard sleeve. Up against the Smile sessions and Made In California box sets it just doesn’t rate. This new set could be a little more ambitious with the live material. I’m sure you could fill out a whole disc with Pet related material 1966-2012. And wouldn’t it be nice and worthwhile to compile a dvd of all the audio visual material so far. This is a pretty serious upgrade of the previous set though.

35. Philip Cohen says:

The word has come down from engineer/archivist Mark Linett that the surround mix of “Pet Sounds” will be the same mix that was already offered on DVD-Audio. What a letdown! That mix is actually 4.0(the center channel and subwoofer are silent). It is misleading to refer to that mix as 5.1