Donna Summer / The Ultimate Collection career-spanning hits set on 3CD & 2LP

donna_ultimate

The Ultimate Collection is a new triple-disc Donna Summer collection that brings together 50 classic tracks from 1968 onwards, including the hits, Macarthur Park, This Time I Know It’s For Real, Love To Love You Baby, She Works Hard For The Money, Dinner With Gershwin, State of Independence and I Feel Love

As well as those hits, this three-CD set includes a number of collaborations and songs used on film soundtracks. This well-priced collection also includes a booklet with an “appreciation” by long-term producers Pete Bellotte and Harold Faltermeyer.

The 2LP vinyl version is a cut-down 20 track edition of the same collection (there is also a single CD edition too).

The Ultimate Collection is out on 18 November 2016.

0654378622328

• 17            Back In Love Again 03:55
  • 18            Dim All The Lights 04:23
  • 19            Cold Love (Edit)                   03:17
  • 20            Love’s About To Change My Heart (PWL 7″ Mix) 03:45

CD3         TO REMEMBER

• 1               I Remember Yesterday 04:46
  • 2               Wasserman (‘Aquarius’) from the Original German Cast           Recording ‘Haare’ (‘Hair’) 03:08
  • 3               Oh, Segne Gott Mein’ Seel (“Bless The Lord”) from German Cast Recording of ‘Godspell’                   02:47
  • 4               Lady Of The Night 03:58
  • 5               The Hostage 04:16
  • 6               Something’s Missing (In My Life) Paul Jabara feat Special Guest Donna Summer                  05:40
  • 7               Once Upon A Time 04:16
  • 8               Shut Out Paul Jabara feat Special Guest Donna Summer 03:10
  • 9               Walk Away 04:29
  • 10            Never Lose Your Sense Of Humor Paul Jabara feat Special Guest Donna Summer 03:33
  • 11            Highway Runner 03:27
  • 12            I Feel Love (Part 1) Special New Version Remix by Patrick Cowley (7″) 03:48
  • 13            Romeo  03:13
  • 14            When Love Cries (Single Version Remix)                 04:12
  • 15            I Will Go With You (Con Te Partiró) (Radio Edit)  03:58
  • 16            Love Is The Healer (Eric Kupper’s I Feel Healed 7″ Mix) 03:36
  • 17            I Got Your Love (Radio Edit) 03:56
  • 18            Stamp Your Feet (Jason Nevins Radio Edit) 03:46
  • 19            Fame (The Game) (Dave Aude Radio) 03:46
  • 20            To Paris With Love (Mendy Radio Edit) 04:00

Newly added tracks in red.

The Ultimate Collection 2LP vinyl

9. Heaven Knows with Brooklyn Dreams
10. Last Dance

Disc: 2
1. No More Tears (Enough Is Enough) with Barbra Streisand
2. Love’s Unkind
3. Love To Love You Baby
4. Down Deep Inside (Theme from ‘The Deep’)
5. Could It Be Magic
6. I Love You
7. Rumour Has It
8. Love Is In Control (Finger On The Trigger)
9. I Don’t Wanna Get Hurt (7″” Remix)
10. Love’s About To Change My Heart (PWL 7″” Mix)

50 responses to Donna Summer / The Ultimate Collection career-spanning hits set on 3CD & 2LP

1. Mikko Suhonen says:

Looks very good and balanced between Wasserman and Stamp your feet. I would love to know, however, which version of McArthur Park is included, hopefully it is the six minute version rather than the 17 minute or 3 minute version. May well be in my shopping list.

But a remastered boxed set of the Casablanca era (including She works hard…) would be something to look forward to.

• Francis says:

Going by the amount of tracks crammed on to the discs, I expect it is the short version of “McArthur Park”.

2. Francis says:

Not more Donna Summer. The music companies are certainly milking her death. A talented singer now being used as much as possible to make the music industry a bit more a profit.

3. Omar says:

I wonder which version of Love To Love You Baby will appear? I’m hoping the promotional edit which ran for about 4:55 min and appeared on the Gold (2cd set).

• Stan Butler says:

With 20 songs on Disc 2 it’s safe to say it’s not going to be he sublime full 18 minute version of “Try Me, I Know We Can Make It”. I’ll echo the plea for the 70’s albums to be properly reissued.

Even though this is a 3CD set, I’m not exactly surprised they’re not putting 14 and 17 minute versions of tracks on here, however ‘definitive’ they may be.

4. Straker says:

You’d think the incredible 15 minute Patrick Cowley remix of I Feel Love would be on there. Licensing?

5. D.Harris says:

An excellent across-labels/decades collection. But why wasn’t the rare track, but fabulous “I Got Your Love” or the never-released on CD (even as a promo) “To Paris, with Love” included?

Still an amazing collection, but a disappointing miss regarding those two essential tracks.

6. claudio says:

…video collection please!!!

7. Michael says:

Its a Day One purchase for me but my god that is a seriously badly sequenced collection. Who devised this? And there are still a number of non-album singles missing. Since they’re obviously milking her catalogue for all its worth, you can bet there’ll be a rarities collection sometime soon…. I guess that’s where To Paris With Love, I Got Your Love, La Vie En Rose, Whenever There Is Love, Dream-A-Lot’s Theme, The Power Of One, and You’re So Beautiful will appear.

• HS says:

Already have all her original CD releases, the recent box sets of albums and CD singles and all the best compilations. I will still be getting the 3 disc version of this on release day.

I hope you are correct about a rarities release soon – tracks like “I Got Your Love” and “To Paris With Love” need to appear on a compilation!

8. Jon says:

Yet another rehash Greatest Hits from Donna that doesn’t include ANYTHING that hasn’t been released on CD which means so single remixes of Woman in Me and Stop, Look & Listen. No thanks, I’m not wasting another penny on a pointless DS comp. Now add never been on CD single versions and an unreleased track or two and you’ve got a deal. Seriously, stop gauging fans. Where is that “Africa” track Giorgio Moroder said was going to be released very soon on an upcoming comp?

• professormouse says:

INDEED !
      The ‘only’ joy I’am taking out this Pointless Collection (as it misses far too many ‘non-lp-singles’, which unf: made up the bulk of her later [non] career) IS that these sorta ‘releases’ used to be a sign of an Artist re-signing/changing a Label.
      Which we all know can’t happen but Possibly could be a Sign of Something ???
      There is here Angel [Adonai etc] LP & the Ordinary Girl tracks in a can somewhere.
      Not forgetting all those ‘demos’ & tracks tha limped out like the one played over some movies credits ?
      Or that’s what this ‘mp3’ I heard had on it, know the one ?
      There’s even the …& Streisand ‘rehearsal tapes’ that I’ve heard in varying degrees of ‘watery-ness’, if they can scrub-up Whitney TV ‘appearances or splice parts of MJ demos for Johnny Mathis into a ‘new Michael Jackson album’, anythings possible with some effort & LOve.
      $adly, These releases are yet ONE bloody more ‘Greatest Hits’, which brings the total of Collections [on Discogs.com] to 65 [!] different ones.

“MILK IT !”

9. Wolfgang Mintrop says:

First Impression of mine: too many “Edits” and “7” mixes” … poor!

• professormouse says:

Donna Summer & The 12 INCH Single are glued together in may a fans head.
      Edits ?
      How many of her later stuff esp, could you not buy on record & it was CDr or Promo Only ‘if’ it wasn’t just a download-only version ?
      There was 38 Official Mixes [last I counted] of IWGWY[CTP] about.
      Hell, THERE’s a bloody Box-Set in itself ! LOL
      $75 someone was charging for ‘all 4’ discs, on Ebay, the 4th being the ‘Edit’ one no less.

10. bob says:

Just how many compilations does one artist need? There has already been one with exactly the same title released a few years ago.
    I still think the best one is the Donna Summer Anthology 2 CD set.

• D.Harris says:

I completely agree! “The Donna Sunmer Anthology” was, by far, Donna’s highest quality compilation to date. Inclusive, yet concise, and beautifully packaged.

Unfortunately, it’s long since out of print and it’s knock-off followup, “Gold”, was poorly remastered, with Disc 2 including noticeable feedback hum and misqued tracks. A real shame.

11. Jason says:

Glad to see Unconditional Love on this compilation, it so seldom gets included on collections of her work.

12. DaveM says:

Just wish it was sequenced chronologically.

13. Francesco says:

As a long term fan I pre-ordered the 3 editions of this collection. All I want to ask is if this across labels compilation means that the label has bought the back catalogue. The 70’s one…
    At the very end, I agree with Claudio. What about an exaustive video collection?

14. Erik van der Scheer says:

Yet another compilation album without ‘The Hostage’ :-(

15. Peter says:

I think many buyers are looking for more than a compilation of album tracks. They want something that you couldn’t throw together yourself using iTunes. That’s what makes ‘edits and 7″ versions’ so appealing – what will this comp have that the other twenty or so on the market don’t?

Please don’t sneer at the hallowed single version. The promise of a long awaited single remix is incredibly tantalising. Imagine if this had Cowley’s 7″ of I feel love or the 7″ of Winter melody…

• rk says:

This collection does include the 7 inch of Winter Melody. It’s precisely why I bought it. I’ve been waiting forever for it to appear on cd. Oh and in case anyone is wondering how I know that. I have all the versions of the songs on disc 2, in one form or another. I placed them in the same running order, in an Itunes playlist and the running time is 1hr 19 mins. Not enough room for anything other than a single edit. I’m fairly certain that sunset people, walk away and I’m A Fire may also be edits.

16. Micky G says:

This is an excellent (probably TV advertised “Very Best Of”) Donna Summer compilation which is just right for the presumably mass market it is aimed at; those people that would like to have a Donna Summer VBO compilation in their CD collection.

So a mixture of some self purchases and possibly lots of gift purchases in the run up to Xmas…

Sequencing is a subjective thing; what one person thinks is a good or right sequence someone else may not like for their own reasons…there is no right or wrong so no way is this “seriously badly sequenced collection”…

The mass market that this is aimed at couldn’t give a stuff about “To Paris With Love” or the 27 min ultra rare remix not being included…so no problem with those type of tracks being omitted from this set.

If there isn’t any contractual or clearance reasons as to why these rare tracks couldn’t be included in the previously released expanded versions of the original albums then they might be released in the future…or they might not..! ;-)

• Kiefer2 says:

So then the mass market can buy one of the 8,000 previously released Donna Summer compilations currently cluttering up the used cd bins. And I’ll throw in STILL no ISA RAdio edit of “Work That Magic”.

• Sean Mac says:

I loaned my cousin the radio/remix promo for Work That Magic, back in 1995, and never got it back. I feel your pain.

• Michael says:

Actually when very rare tracks like her German performances in Hair & Godspell are included along with her guest spots on Paul Jabari tracks, one could hardly say, regarding this compilation, “The mass market that this is aimed at”. That would be what the single disc edition (not listed above) is for. This 3 disc set is quite obviously for her real fans. I can guarantee that her ever watchful fanbase do have a “problem with those type of tracks being omitted from this set”.

And as for how “badly sequenced” it is, it’s an opinion only. There is actually an art to sequencing. Its one of the reasons Madonna’s Celebration compilation was so criticised.

• HS says:

Well said – although I feel that the 3CD version is indeed aimed more at Donna’s actual fanbase (especially with the recordings from Hair included).

There have been several compilations issued in the past – but most of them have been low budget, low profile affair. The excellent 1993 Anthology is long out of print and Gold (2005) was a good but not really a high profile release. Besides these two there was On The Radio in 1979, Endless Summer in 1994 and The Journey in 2003. Hardly an overkill IMO…

17. Robert Lett says:

This looks interesting, at least it has a couple rare cuts. A proper career overview box should happen though.

18. Kiki says:

that sounds great… but what about expanded reissues of her Casablanca years with all 7″ 12″ and so on… ? We’re still waiting !

19. Shane says:

>Yes Kiki, tell ’em!

20. bertielego says:

Interesting… but nothing ‘Deluxe’ about this.

21. Micky G says:

Michael: To clarify what I meant – this “release” is aimed at the mass market. They will then make their choice re whether to purchase the single CD or the 3CD version. The “fanbase” can then choose whether they wish to also purchase or not.

I do agree with you re sequencing; it most certainly is an art..!

• Stan Butler says:

Considering that the 3 CD version is only 72p dearer than the 1 CD version, the buyer would have to be a fool not to go for that.

22. Casper Janssen says:

I miss essential singles like “The Hostage” (Donna’s first big hit in the Benelux in 1974), “There Goes My Baby” (one of her best ’80’s singles, and the most succesfull single from her 1984 album “Cats Without Claws”) and her final US Dance number one “To Paris With Love” which has never been officially released on CD, and was only available digitally.
    Another miss is the early single “Sally Go Round The Roses”, released on the Decca label.
    It should have been in chronoligical order

23. gwynogue says:

Oh yes, I am ordering this!

When I first saw it mentioned on Amazon, I only saw the 1-disc version so I groaned and thought ‘not another one with the same old, same old!’. But this 3-disc version has some rare gems (well, rare to me…..maybe not so rare to others) especially on the third disc, so it was an immediate order. And for only 13 quid!

24. fredpostman says:

I’m happy to get the Jabara tracks on a Donna compilation though if they use the disgraceful 3 and a half minute version of the sublime ‘II Feel Love’ [my all time favorite single;the sound of the future today] i will be very angry!

25. Pingback:Donna Summer’s Ultimate Collection 3CD improved thanks to SDE readers | superdeluxeedition

26. Steve says:

Love the changes they have made. Looks like they tried to address some of the complaints. I will definitely be buying both the 3cd set and the vinyl.

27. Paul says:

I am a Donna Summer hardcore fan since 1977 when I was 14 y.o.. This is a SUPER collection! 3 cd is a perfect number for a box set. The sequencing is magic on my opinion. Only one thing: I hope all tracks are re-mastered… Anyway, to all hardcore fans like me: BUY IT! :)

28. xrey says:

This is obviously neant to be a holiday release set aimed at not only the casual fans, but her long time fan base as well judging from the inclusion of the Paul Jabara cuts of which even _I_ was not aware . Only recently I discovered her excellent pre-Casablanca album. The casual fan isn’t gonna miss any of this as it never got airplay in most counteies. This set is not intended as a “career-spanning everything including the kitchen sink” type release with all of the 17+ minute versions of her material. If that’s what you expect, then this would end up being 52 CD’s at a price point everyone would b¡tch about. It would never sell enough to be profitable because of all of the cross-licensing concerns involved.

That said, the 3-disc set is conceptually broken into 3 parts, which many may or may not agree “flow”. Nevertheless there are some rare original single edits here, finally an edit of “Sunset People” which was never released as a US single, though it got a lot of top 40 play at the time in its six-minute length.

The common short single version (3:56) of “MacArthur Park” is what is included, though I prefer the long 6-minute promo single version which I believe has appeared on CD elsewhere. Surprisingly, the long single version (5:53) of “I Feel Love” is included, rather than the more radio-friendly 3:17 version.

Paul listed all of the track times by the CD track listings, so may one assume the same versions will be on the vinyl? (We’ve all been surprised before).

Because Universal (who now practically owns everything ever recorded anyway) cross-licensed a bunch of rare traxks from Jabara, Hair, Godspell, etc that don’t normally appear on other comps, I feel this serves the attention-span deficient millinials as well as the avid collector and rabid fan market quite well. One doesn’t usually see releases that can please those camps.

29. Chuck Clough says:

A lot of legitimate pros and cons here…but I’ll still be buying it. I don’t even remember how many compilations I already have. But I guess I’ll never get enough of this true diva that defined the classic disco era but continued to grow well beyond. Glad to see the track revisions with “I Got Your Love” and “To Paris With Love” added. It still would be best to see a companion to the eighties box with a Casablanca era/”She Works Hard…” set.

30. Gareth says:

While I appreciate anything by my missed Diva.It is annoying that we are still getting nothing new after her passing.Where is the Angel album or Ordinary Girl and where are all the songs that never made the albums.Even Giorgio found an album he produced with Donna in his garage a few years back!!!!!!Plus all the songs Donna did with Nathan that will never see the light of day,locked in a vault forever.I bet Donna would have wanted her fans to hear them.

31. Chris says:

Saw the 3CD version in my local Head music store, but as a newbie I think I’m better with the standard 1CD edition – just looking at that tracklist surprised me as to how many of those songs i’m aware of; a good 19 tracks to add my collection this Christmas/birthday by the looks of things

And whoever put ‘I Feel Love’ as track 1 deserves a hug from me :)

32. professormouse says:

Can’t believe half the comments here.
    I’ve a shelf on this tower thing with just Collections, without even trying.
    Some have may a couple of tracks that aren’t on anything else but some are just jus jus Even more pointless than this one.
    Thankfully they were usually in the £1.00 section.
    As that’s where this will head to after all the MUST MUST MUST GET THIS TO ADD TO THE THE COLLECTION ‘FANATICS’ have done so.
    WHY ?
    There’s nothing Amazingly Special about this & they RE-Use a Photo Again ?
    All you pining away for a series that start from the beginning ie b4 The Hostage era LP are onto plums !
    This crap $E££$ = WHY would they ever bother with anything any actual fan of her voice would want.
    It’s like New Old Stamps for Philatelists !
    Call me when the price hits rock bottom….

33. Peter Wright says:

Just bought this from **V store. As a vinyl collector, I am very disappointed with the audio quality of this double album !
    Very poor bass response and quite, dare I say, screechy in the mid/treble.
    I/ve got some of Donna’s vinyl albums recorded in the 70’s/80’s that sound far superior.
    A tweek of the graphic equaliser might help here, but should be un-necessary !