Donna Summer’s Ultimate Collection 3CD improved thanks to SDE readers

The Donna Summer three-CD Ultimate Collection has had its track listing improved thanks to the feedback of readers!

When we first posted about this compilation, SDE reader Erik van der Scheer commented “Yet another compilation album without ‘The Hostage’ :-(” – well, not any more, since the folks behind this set read that comment and acted on it. So The Hostage is now on CD 3.

Similarly, D. Harris wondered “why wasn’t the rare track, but fabulous “I Got Your Love” included?” Well now it will also appear on the third disc of this new collection.

A few people also highlighted the omission of To Paris With Love, a track which has apparently never been officially released on CD. Again, that suggestion has been taken on board and this track has been cleared for inclusion at the eleventh hour. It will be track 20 on CD 3.

Finally, the 3.48 Patrick Cowley “Special New Version Remix” of I Feel Love is another addition making The Ultimate Collection a 58-track set.

There has been a bit of jiggery-pokery to get these extra tracks on here, including moving Eyes (Jellybean Remix Edit) to disc one and switching Shut Out to the single edit, but all in all, this is great news for Donna Summer fans. It just goes to show that it is always worth leaving constructive criticism here on SuperDeluxeEdition, because as we’ve seen in the past (Swing Out Sister, Bros., Peter Gabriel) it’s a blog that really can influence because it’s so well read by those within the industry.

The Ultimate Collection will be released on 18 November and you can view the new track listing is below. Full details of all formats can be found here.

Donna Summer

• 17            Back In Love Again 03:55
  • 18            Dim All The Lights 04:23
  • 19            Cold Love (Edit)                   03:17
  • 20            Love’s About To Change My Heart (PWL 7″ Mix) 03:45

CD3         TO REMEMBER

• 1               I Remember Yesterday 04:46
  • 2               Wasserman (‘Aquarius’) from the Original German Cast           Recording ‘Haare’ (‘Hair’) 03:08
  • 3               Oh, Segne Gott Mein’ Seel (“Bless The Lord”) from German Cast Recording of ‘Godspell’                   02:47
  • 4               Lady Of The Night 03:58
  • 5               The Hostage 04:16
  • 6               Something’s Missing (In My Life) Paul Jabara feat Special Guest Donna Summer                  05:40
  • 7               Once Upon A Time 04:16
  • 8               Shut Out Paul Jabara feat Special Guest Donna Summer 03:10
  • 9               Walk Away 04:29
  • 10            Never Lose Your Sense Of Humor Paul Jabara feat Special Guest Donna Summer 03:33
  • 11            Highway Runner 03:27
  • 12            I Feel Love (Part 1) Special New Version Remix by Patrick Cowley (7″) 03:48
  • 13            Romeo  03:13
  • 14            When Love Cries (Single Version Remix)                 04:12
  • 15            I Will Go With You (Con Te Partiró) (Radio Edit)  03:58
  • 16            Love Is The Healer (Eric Kupper’s I Feel Healed 7″ Mix) 03:36
  • 17            I Got Your Love (Radio Edit) 03:56
  • 18            Stamp Your Feet (Jason Nevins Radio Edit) 03:46
  • 19            Fame (The Game) (Dave Aude Radio) 03:46
  • 20            To Paris With Love (Mendy Radio Edit) 04:00

Newly added tracks in red.

93 responses to Donna Summer’s Ultimate Collection 3CD improved thanks to SDE readers

1. neal says:

Shame they didn’t listen to my request of Here Comes My Baby

2. Mark says:

This is fantastic news. Thank goodness for your site Paul, it really is a joy to read breaking release news, love the newsletters too. Would be great for labels to come to you first before track lists are announced so readers can submit track suggestions. Savers having to go back and rework.

3. D.Harris says:

That’s great news!

I truly believe Donna’s estate wants to please fans in the best way they know how. However, given the depth of her catalog, not to mention the argument amongst fans as to what should or shouldn’t be included in a hits package, it’s easy to see how a few tracks can get missed here and there.

That said, I believe the negative comments regarding just another compilation were unfounded, and these recently announced changes prove that.

Thanks again Bruce & Co. Donna would be very pleased!

4. bob says:

This is great news for those who asked for those tracks to be included but especially great news for you Paul. It just shows how highly respected this site is, not only by us music fans who visit daily, but also by the music labels as well.

5. Tony says:

Don’t think anymore tracks could have been squeezed on. Looks like 77 /79 /77 mins per CD.

6. Andrew Mogford says:

Great news for Donna Summer fans – kudos to Paul for the site, and the informed readers who comment here. And let’s not forget well done to whoever is putting the compilation together for listening.

Now can anyone get R.E.M to include the B sides and Remixes on Out of Time? :)

7. Edward says:

Why is it that Denver Dream and Virgin Mary (two 7″ from 1974) never appear on any greatest hits package? Agreed, they were dutch singles only, but still…..

• Jan Marien says:

But you can find those tracks (Virgin Mary, Denver Dream + B-side Something in the wind) on the Girogio Moroder On the Groove train-compilation-CD’s….
      Unfortunately, they weren’t big hits overhere… but they are still very lovely to lsiten to…

Jan from Belgium

8. Emile says:

Now THAT is how a company should respond to fans’ suggestions. These changes may be small, but they vastly improve the overall compilation. Some more rarities to entice those that may have been hesitant to purchase otherwise. Well done, everyone involved.

9. Straker says:

Big up US!

I smile whenever I see Patrick Cowley’s name – A man truly ahead of his time and taken far too soon.

10. Barry Noke says:

Probably too late but what about the 95/96 remix single versions released in europe of I Feel Love (which had new Donna vocals) and State of Independence. They are rare and hard to obtain nowadays

11. Johnathan says:

Amazing news! Serendipitous too, as I only placed my order this morning. Kudos to you, Paul, and the SDE readers who pointed out what could be improved!

Great News!
    I Just don’t understand…why separating Shut Out from Heaven Is A Disco?
    Anyway I loved the songs in it, good job
    Hopefully you can get the rights for Donna’s Casablancas albums too

• Tony says:

If they’d have put Shut Out/Heaven is a Disco on, its nearly ten minutes long so there probably would have been complaints that two more tracks could have been included if the shorter version was included. Besides, I don’t ever remember Shut Out 7″ being on CD. As you say, good job.

• riccardo m says:

Shut out was a single ….and Donna had only a cameo on it …cant put others lp full side songs on her collection…

13. Casper Janssen says:

Great news and wonderful that the comments are not in vain. I still miss There Goes My Baby and the Grammy winning song Carry On, but this is still an improvement. Thank you.

14. James says:

To echo what has been said above: it’s refreshing and reassuring to see a label both listening to fans’ feedback AND TAKING ACTION. It is, afterall, in their interests to maximise sales by recognising shortfalls in track listings and tempting those on the fence with a more attractive offer. I know that this is not always possible (artist involvement, lost masters, unclearable tracks etc) but it’s great to see that changes can, and will, be made when possible.
    You should feel very proud, Paul, that you have constructed a site (& commanded a readership!) that packs this much of a punch with the labels!

15. Daniel ( from Berlin ) says:

Congratulations paul!
    This proves that your site grows bigger and bigger and everyone who write here
    his words and thoughts build a better world of better re-releases and box sets.
    And everyone is a little part of it all…

16. Michael Allen says:

This is a killer tracklist! But STILL no “you’re so beautiful”………

17. Renato says:

So nice! Congrats, Paul and all commenters!

18. Michael says:

Its great news to see these additions BUT I wish they’d included the 6.25 of Macarthur Park. It is the only version that counts.
    I absolutely agree with Neal’s comment. There Goes My Baby should be here. As much as I love Eyes, Baby is the more relevant track from Cats Without Claws.
    And while the sequencing and a few choices (Breakaway, Highway Runner, & the full length Solitaire Club of I’m A Fire?) still seem nonsensical, this is Day 1 for me.

• Tony says:

Would have been good to have the whole MacArthur Park Suite but that would have meant losing four other tracks.

Eyes is great because it was remixed by Jellybean.

Cd3 looks as if I Remember Yesterday is the opener to the next 19 tracks which look to be chronological. I’m A Fire was a Billboard Dance #1 so I get why it’s on CD1.

• Billy Dojcak says:

The 6.25 version appears on the 1993 compilation The Donna Summer Anthology.

19. Rob Wilson says:

This is amazing! Maybe one day “Love On & On” will get its justice!

20. FRANK RUGGIERO says:

Should include There Goes My Baby, Supernatural Love, Virgin Mary, Carry On (after all she did win the inaugrual Grammy for Dance song when Dance Genre was added to the Grammys) maybe I’m Free, Crayons, Mr. Music, The Queen Is BAck

21. Rob Wilson says:

I wonder if it’s possible, cuz it would be a shame otherwise, to replace the Hani Mixshow Version of Power of Love with the Album Version, the I’m a Fire Solitaire Club Mix with the Solitaire Radio Edit, so there would be room for the 12″ version of Last Dance instead of the single Version

22. FRANK RUGGIERO says:

Also Dim All The Lights is missing with was a song she wrote all by herself

23. FRANK RUGGIERO says:

May need to make it a 4 CD box set

24. Matt Ganoe says:

One of my all-time favorite Donna Summer singles is a duet she performed with Bruce Roberts in 1996 for the Sylvester Stallone movie “Daylight”. It’s called “Whenever There Is Love”, and it never gets any respect as being one of Donna’s great songs, or is included on any hits packages. This looks like an awesome set though, even without it.

25. Charles K says:

This is awesome, hopefully other labels will start listening more too! Good on them!

26. Steve says:

Thanks for the improvements to this collection. I am definitely buying both the 3 cd set and the vinyl.

27. FRANK RUGGIERO says:

Sunset People
    No More Tears
    On The Radio
    Walk Away
    The Wanderer
    Cold Love
    Who Do You Think You’re Foolin’
    I’m A Rainbow
    I’m A Fire
    Stamp You Feet
    The Queen Is Back
    Mr Music
    I Got Your Love
    To Paris With Love
    Dream A Lots theme (I Will Live for Love)
    You’re So Beautiful

• Michael says:

I like your thinking Frank. While I don’t agree with all your track choices, there is one thing for certain, and I promise Paul it’s the last time I’ll type this: It should be chronological. As it is, that sequencing is a mess.

• Tony says:

Chronological was done on Anthology and is not as comprehensive as this edition. Obviously there must have been reasons why this is a 3CD edition, such as clearing loads of rights.

• ChrisGa says:

I do wish they had included Work That Magic, which is arguably the strongest track from Mistaken Identity.

28. Eamonn says:

Did they thank the website about this (I mean, it’s not just a coincidence that they’ve changed the tracklisting)?

29. Xavier Cruz says:

This is MUCH better. NOW, I’ll buy it. Even though I have all these songs, it’s nice to see them in one package. Would be nice to see Sally Go Round The Roses, Virgin Mary, Whever There Is Love , Je t’aime… moi non plus and Maybe This is My Life (studio version) finally released :)

30. CakeSaint says:

Excellent news, Paul! I’m now in the “buyers” camp with these rare tracks included.

Also, thanks for your price comparisons between different sites. Never thought I’d be buying so many things directly from the UK, but your site and the weak pound have helped to alert me to some great savings. Cheers!

31. Toph says:

Paul .. many thanks for your marvelous input to a final result …looking forward to the new compilation however … what ever happened to the FINALE in named album the Donna was working in when she passed away ??? Is there any chance her estate will ever realease these songs either as demo’/ or remastered gems ?? I have searched for the past years trying to find these songs with no luck … such a a waste for all her die hard fans not to be able to share her life’s last works … thanks to her estate for allowing the extra songs to be included … cheer’s

32. Thomas Williams says:

Would have preferred “There Goes My Baby” and “Work That Magic” which charted on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart over album tracks like “Romeo” and “Highway Runner” that never even got a single release anywhere. Seems illogical but still like others have said an improvement to the previous tracklisting.

• Michael says:

Precisely Thomas. 5 tracks from Another Place… and only one from Cats? Surely they could’ve elbowed Breakaway or I Don’t Wanna Get Hurt (both inarguably great tracks) and made room for those. But no argument this is an improvement.

• Tony says:

The press release did say UK Tv advertised album, so I guess all five tracks from Another Place And Time must have been hits in the UK.

33. Bruno says:

What about Love is the healer?

34. Dave says:

Possibly the greateat Donna compilation. I would have preferred the original versions of Stamp and Fame but hey ho. A fourth disc and I would be bouncing off the walls…….Denver Dream Virgin Mary Sally Go Round The Roses Can’t Understand Oh Billy Please Protection If You’re Walking Alone Something ‘s In The Wind. But thank you to everyone behind this wonderful 3cd set. You have my money…..mine is on preorder!!!!!! Donna has pulled strings for her hardcore following!!!!

35. ken calander says:

Now i will defiantly b get this one!!! from paris with love FINALLY!!!!!!

36. Kiki says:

Well, that’s the kind of news I love ! :-)
    I’m very happy when I see that someone somewhere tries to listen to improvements requested for that kind of release !

Hopefully, they will listen to us and finally give us a COMPLETE casablanca years album reissues … There are many, many tapes to track down but I think it’s really time for celebrating Donna’s carrier and it’s where she shone!

PS : Nothing to do with it, bu : If only the PSB could listen to us for complete reissues of their albums would be great also…

• Andrew Edwards says:

The Casablanca Albums were all beautifully remastered and repackaged by Universal Music Japan in 2012. For the most part these were all perfect and amazing. The sound was incredible and worth every cent. You can find some of them on sites for purchase. However, I never saw them for sale on Amazon UK.

37. MINO says:

That’s amazing! Now we wait for Cyndi Lauper’s reissues….

• J T says:

And Laura Branigan’s…

And Pat Benatar’s…

• Robert says:

J T. I know there are 2 of Laura’s cds that have been reissued already. BRANIGAN and SELF CONTROL. You can try amazon or get them at . They were done by Gold Legion. BRANIGAN has a slew of bonus tracks plus a 16 page booklet. SELF CONTROL has some bonus tracks and the booklet as well. They are in the process of doing BRANIGAN 2 but that’s been on hold for over 2 + years now. Unreal. I wish another company was reissuing them, but I am thankful for what we got so far.

38. carlo cdr says:

this three cd’s package compilation is good and complete one finally

39. Rickjapan says:

I’m not particularly interested in this compilation, but am so happy to hear that at least some labels are prepared to listen to the actual fans/buyers. In a sense, this is what the internet has given us the power to do.

And it’s thanks to you, too, Paul!! Long may you continue, a day doesn’t go by when I check this site as long as I have a computer to hand.

The last time I creamed myself was the Alison Moyet reissues lol

40. fredpostman says:

What great news Paul….’Our Love’ [for SDE] will live forever..incidentally were New Order listening to this innovative track when they recorded ‘Blue Monday’?It really should have been an A side as it was in Spain in 1980].

• Stan Butler says:

New Order have always been very open about the four tracks that influenced ‘Blue Monday’, and ‘Our Love’ was of course one of them.

41. Brian Kelly says:

What no bonus 4th freebie 3″ disc with Christmas mixes on it? ;)
    Sorry I just had to say it.

42. John says:

Well done Paul, FANTASTIC!!… definitely on my Christmas list. I’m absolutely nit-picking but personally I’d have preferred to have the UK 7″ version of Love To Love You Baby (4:57) than the 3:20 edit. I know it’s been included on other compilations but the song, being one of her finest, deserves to be included on this Ultimate Collection in it’s longer form. Maybe replace I’m A Fire Solitaire Club Mix with the Solitaire Radio Edit to make room?

43. HS says:

Great news, this looks like it’s going to be the best Donna compilation out there.

44. Callage says:

Excellent feedback from the label. Am convinced enough to add it to my overstuffed Donna collection.

45. D.Harris says:

“The SDE Expanded Edition” Sorry, I just think everyone here is still experiencing Summer euphoria! LOL

46. eric slangen says:

Big thumbs up for the SDE and the recordlabel.

47. Paul Murphy says:

Well, if the record companies are reading and listening, can we please have:
    Vinegar Joe Box Set
    ‘Across The Universe’ single
    ‘Captain Fantastic’ and ‘Too Low For Zero’ Super Deluxe Editions
    Jimi Hendrix Royal Albert Hall 2-CD + 2-DVD
    ‘Tea For The Tillerman’ Box Set
    A Queen re-issue with a decent cover
    Aimee Mann Box Set
    Mick Taylor Anthology
    A year without a Who compilation
    No more Novexit [mass exodus of wives of SDE readers post November 11th]

48. Kiefer2 says:

Maybe this will finally quiet down the “I don’t know why people on this board complain about track listing ” naysayers. I doubt it, though. Thanks for listening, guys, but still no ISA radio edit of “Work That Magic”!!!!

49. Stevo says:

Make me want to buy it. :)

50. memoryboy says:

I’m not a big Donna Summer fan, but I love the tracks I know. I love this post/thread, reading about how this website may catch the attention of artists and others. I just want to put here really quick, in case anybody is reading, that Depeche Mode should really consider re-doing all their albums and improving the Remastered sound. I guess this belongs on a DM post and not here, but maybe this will get someone’s attention.

51. alan hansen says:

my dutch “Ultimate Collection” 3CD set now has some serious competition here. and yes, i am aware that my dutch set is all album versions (not edits), but in Donna Summer’s case, i’m rather ok with the edits/radio versions on this new collection. i do hope the mastering on this is as good as that on the dutch series.

52. Simon says:

Does this in effect render Gold obsolute? Should I go for this one instead of Gold?

53. Mark Phillips says:

I was going to have a moan about Back In Love Again not being on here – another UK hit that is missing from nearly all DS compilations but it’s there too!

One of my favourite tracks of hers that’s never heard on the radio any more. I think it was when she moved label to GTO? for just one album and a single or two.

Talking of singles, will there ever be an Elton John complete singles set? Every greatest hits cherry picks a different bunch of his tunes, but there doesn’t seem to be an overarching overview.

54. Morgan says:

Really excited about this release but I wish “Try Me I Know We Can Make It” would be the true 7″ version that runs 4:14. It’s one of my favorites & as far as I know has never been released on CD or digital format. Awesome release, though!

• Tony says:

The European 7″ single version was 4.46 but I get your point, although there must be a problem locating various master tapes if as you say, it’s not been on CD before.

55. Shane says:

Wow that is great news and I had preordered both formats already so I’m happier than before.
    I agree that it would be great to have “Whenever There Is Love” featured, it is a STUNNING track and probably her last great song.

Barry, do you mean she recorded new vocals for the Rollo & Sister Bliss remixes of I Feel Love from 95?

56. Conner Sharpe says:

These changes make this collection essential for a collector with a number of these tracks on cd for the first time. This is awesome and I can’t wait.

57. Mick says:

As has been expressed by many – it’s wonderful that they’re listening, and that a site like SDE can exert some influence on a release in this way.
    Now…would it be pushing our luck if I also asked for it to not be brickwalled and have a decent high DR?

58. carlo cdr says:

and i think at this point , why not to include HOW I FEEL from THE ME NOBODY KNOWS musical (1970) after Wasserman and Godspell, the track is in english and Donna sings alone !!
    …. the song is a pearl !

59. Stuart Jordan says:

What about Work that body the remix version that was included on the European version of her 1989 CD.

60. riccardo miracapillo says:

this compilation is getting much more appealing and interesting with the 3 tracks added ..GREAT …many thanks for listening and considering fans suggestions or ideas ! your availability also means ,in some case , getting silly or ridicoluos requests ….but everyone has the right to say their opinion …as a longtime fan , perfectionist and collector since 1976 , i’d like ,with modesty , to suggest to pay attention on the choice of the Godspell track (Oh segne Gott mein seel )…the official release of the cd version includes a tiny kind of fault on Donna’s intro first note …this is evident if you compare it with the LP version …I also would like to support Carlo cdr suggestion to represent completly Donna’s 3 theatrical ( Hair , Godspel & The me nobody knows ) initial experiences, including a song from The me nobody knows: (wich was released in 1970 ,on Lp in 2 versions , german and english ).. How I feel
    (its her only solo on the album ,and included only on the english version lp ) it could be very appealing ,also in terms of sales i guess….
    I have all of this material in great quality and very open to share/ collaborate if needed without any kind of compensation …best wishes Ric

61. Billy Dojcak says:

Someday I’d like to find the re-edit of Last Dance that appeared in the Thank God It’s Friday movie. Not the original version on the soundtrack that was the hit. The movie version starts with the chorus and leaves out the slow bits. My daughter likes this better and keeps asking me to make it. I’m sure I could, but it would take some time.

62. Jose says:

This is great. Can’t wait to get it.

63. riccardo m says:

but what about ‘AFRICA ‘ ??? Giorgio said this new song produced by him was going to be included in a new compilation this year ….maybe its not this one? or is He asking too much money? shame a new song would have been fabulous !!!!!