Dream Theater / Distance Over Time

American prog metal band Dream Theater release Distance Over Time, their 14th studio album in February, and it’s available in a five different physical formats with some including 5.1 surround mixes and other exclusive content.

The 9-track album was recorded over four months in Monticello, upstate New York, with the band living and working together during that entire time. “It was like going back to summer camp,” says singer James LaBrie. “Being around each other the whole time made it that much more of a profound experience. I think the songs reflect the energy. It was a lot of fun to have a situation so powerful at this point in our career.”

The formats for Distance Over Time are as follows

• 9-track jewel case CD
  • 10-track digi-pak edition (with bonus track)
  • 2LP+CD edition, which includes an 8-page booklet and the bonus track
  • Limited edition 2CD+DVD+Blu-ray artbook (includes 5.1 mix)
  • Deluxe Collector’s Box Set

The artbook edition includes a bonus CD of instrumentals and a 5.1 surround mix on blu-ray and DVD, as well as video animations, instrumental mixes, high res stereo, stems for song ‘Untethered Angel’, extended liner notes, additional artwork incl. photos from the writing session and “additional video content”.

The pricey deluxe collector’s box set comes in a lift-off lid box (with lenticular cover art on the lid) and features the 2CD+DVD+Blu-ray artbook edition, a 2LP gatefold version pressed on white vinyl with exclusive LP artwork, an exclusive seven-inch single, a poster, art cards, slipmat, a patch, a badge and a hand-numbered certificate of authenticity.

Distance Over Time is released on 22 February 2018.

Dream Theater

4. Barstool Warrior
5. Room 137
6. S2N
7. At Witâ™s End
8. Out Of Reach
9. Pale Blue Dot
10. Viper King (Bonus track)

CD 2
1. Untethered Angel (instrumental)
2. Paralyzed (instrumental)
3. Fall Into The Light (instrumental)
4. Barstool Warrior (instrumental)
5. Room 137 (instrumental)
6. S2N (instrumental)
7. At Witâ™s End (instrumental)
8. Out Of Reach (instrumental)
9. Pale Blue Dot (instrumental)
10. Viper King (instrumental)

DVD/Blu-ray
1. Untethered Angel (5.1 mix) 00:06:14
2. Paralyzed (5.1 mix)
3. Fall Into The Light (5.1 mix)
4. Barstool Warrior (5.1 mix)
5. Room 137 (5.1 mix)
6. S2N (5.1 mix)
7. At Witâ™s End (5.1 mix)
8. Out Of Reach (5.1 mix)
9. Pale Blue Dot (5.1 mix)
10. Viper King (5.1 mix) (Bonus Track)

Bonus 7″ in Collector’s box

4. Barstool Warrior
5. Room 137
6. S2N
7. At Witâ™s End
8. Out Of Reach
9. Pale Blue Dot
10. Viper King (Bonus track)

19 responses to Dream Theater / Distance Over Time

1. Daniel Pitterman says:

It does not seem like the artbook version is available in the USA. Please let me know if I’m missing something and it is. Thanks

2. Gisabun says:

@Andy Hanson: You know that Kevin Shirley has done work with the band since Awake [not “Awaken”].
    @Dejan: So basically choose their 2nd and 3rd studio albums and ignore the last 10. Not really representative of the band. If someone did take your suggestion and then got into the band and chose albums any album since, they’d go “WFT?”. Their music has evolved and those albums don’t represent the band.
    @Klaus: Yes. DT knows how to properly release an album when they have separate vinyl and CD releases. I don’t mind the BR and DVD in one package but who will use the DVD if they can use the BR.
    @Karl Probst: The band doesn’t control the price of their releases.

3. John Knight says:

Long time fan. Since Dream and Day unite…..
    Have the first 10 fanclub CDs also. But kinda lost my interest last few albums. ..but liking what I hear from this one. …..so will grab a deluxe box set.
    I into the heavier side of DT maybe check out Synaptik.

4. Larry Davis says:

Paul, Dream Theatre’s most famous song is “Pull Me Under”… pretty interesting they are popular worldwide, are the original true embassadors of the prog-metal subgenre besides Rush…and for me, they are a local band from Long Island, NY!!

5. Shawn miller says:

As a dream theater fan since the 1990 s I m ready for the new material..

6. Klaus says:

Hats off to them for giving the choice to select between digital and analogue box sets.

7. Dejan says:

I am very sorry but the last two albums felt like a sponge was tried to get squeezed out the last drop of ideas. So frankly, I am really OK with what I have of their earlier works.
    For newcomers I recommend “Images and Words” first and then “Awake” to get the music pictured tuned in.

8. Gisabun says:

@Tony O:
    Either try one of their few live albums or their “Greatest Hit” 2CD set from about 6-7 years ago if you want a starting point.

9. B Pily says:

Dream Theater is my favorite progressive metal band. It’s from another day song, which is the first song i have listened, that I began to really like them.

10. Dan T. says:

After getting royally burned on pre-ordering the last album (what was that, “Disney Princess Metal”???), I’ll have to give this one a listen before taking the physical format plunge. Sorry DT, but the songwriting has been inconsistent and vapid for the last three or four albums…

• Gisabun says:

@Dan T:
      “…but the songwriting has been inconsistent and vapid for the last three or four albums…” Since Mike Portnoy left maybe?

• LeBaron says:

I’ll also have a listen at this album before buying it. I too feel they have lost much more than just a drummer when Portnoy left (or when the rest of the band sacked it).
      Happy new year to everyone !!

• Andy Hanson says:

It dipped when Kevin Shirley left after Awaken and again after Mike Pourtney departed. Managing to stay awake during their last album was astonishing!

11. The Golden Age Of Prog Rock says:

I’m not really a fan of heavy/metal rock. I do like Prog Rock and I think Dream Theatre are a class act. I think I have all their studio albums and I’ll be getting ‘Distance Over Time’, the art-book edition ordered.

Happy New Year Paul and to all who empty their wallets around this place.

12. Karl Probst says:

Great band but lately everything from them has become quite expensive. Interesting but maybe wait a bit. Nice to know what they have to offer. Thanks SDE

13. Wayne says:

Dream Theater, now there’s a Superb band. I’ve lost touch with them over recent years but have all of the CDs they released over the first 10 years or so, and live they are superb. “Awake” is the album I bought when it came out and it still is a fav of mine.
    Also Scenes From A Memory is a stellar album that is a great place for an introduction if you haven’t heard anything by them.

14. Tony O says:

I can honestly say I have never heard one Dream Theatre track and other than knowing they have a decent following in the collectors community they are an unknown for me, having said that the video included on this page of untethered angel makes me want to know and listen more.

• Stephen says:

Hi Tony,

They are a great example of the prog-metal genre – been through a few iterations over the years, but essentially retained their sound. Technically masterful, smart musicians, big on melody as well as intensity – but more melodic/less intense than some you might find IMHO.

So if this genre interests you, not a bad place to start! Enjoy.

• Paul Taylor says:

I’m like that with the Foo Fighters, never been on my radar
      Could not name never mind hum one single track