Elvis Presley / The Best of The ’68 Comeback Special

Next month, Sony will issue a single CD ‘Best Of’ Elvis Presley‘s ’68 Comeback Special.

Perhaps confusingly, this release ties in with a new ‘special’ to celebrate the old ‘special’! The upcoming NBC TV special will run for two hours and is going to be called ‘Elvis All-Star Tribute’. It will recreate the iconic night with musical performances, a showcase of rare footage and interviews with Pricilla Presley and Steve Binder, the director of the original special, plus a special appearance from Lisa Marie Presley.

The Best of the ’68 Comeback Special CD features ‘the best’ of the Elvis recordings from the original broadcast – in total 15 performances from the ‘stand-up’ and ‘sit-down’ shows filmed in ’68 – but sneakily it also includes a new version of If I Can Dream, which features featuring Elvis’ original vocals alongside new performances by Carrie Underwood, Shawn Mendes, Post Malone, Darius Rucker and Blake Shelton. Three original studio recordings (not part of the ’68 Comeback Special, of course) are also included to represent songs that appear in the new 2019 NBC special.

The ’68 Comeback Special was reissued last year as a 5CD/2 Blu-ray box set. This new single CD best of is released on 15 February 2019.

Elvis Presley

The Best of The '68 Comeback Special - CD

Elvis Presley

The '68 Comeback Special 7-disc box set

1. Trouble / Guitar Man – Elvis Presley
2. Heartbreak Hotel (First ‘Stand – Up’ Show)
3. Hound Dog (Second ‘Stand – Up’ Show)
4. All Shook Up (Second ‘Stand – Up’ Show)
5. Can’t Help Falling in Love (First ‘Stand – Up’ Show)
6. Jailhouse Rock (First ‘Stand – Up’ Show)
7. Don’t Be Cruel (First ‘Stand – Up’ Show)
8. Blue Suede Shoes (Second ‘Sit – Down’ Show)
9. Baby, What You Want Me To Do (First ‘Stand – Up’ Show)
10. Are You Lonesome Tonight? (First ‘Sit – Down’ Show)
11. One Night (Second ‘Sit – Down’ Show)
12. Love Me Tender (First ‘Stand – Up’ Show)
13. Trying To Get To You (Second ‘Sit – Down’ Show)
14. Love Me (Second ‘Sit Down’ Show) – Elvis Presley
15. Memories – Elvis Presley
16. A Little Less Conversation – Elvis Presley
17. Suspicious Minds – Elvis Presley
18. Burning Love – Elvis Presley
19. If I Can Dream – Elvis Presley, Carrie Underwood, Shawn Mendes, Post Malone, Darius Rucker, and Blake Shelton

16 responses to Elvis Presley / The Best of The ’68 Comeback Special

1. Larry Davis says:

I was not gonna consider this at all…until I popped into a local Walmart…they have some exclusives sometimes…and yep, they actually have a worthwhile CD/DVD exclusive of this…I have no prob with the bonus tracks at all, even tho it has “Burning Love” from 1972 and singles of “A Little Less Conversation” and “Suspicious Minds”…3 fave Elvis singles…the new version of “If I Can Dream” is from the new special so that’s fine…no, the REAL selling point of this exclusive is it has the original special cleaned up and on DVD when in the box, it’s on Blu-Ray…I’m not a hardcore Elvis fan so this release might be good enough for me (like Cyndi Lauper’s Goonies theme) but if I want more, I’ll get the box…there is also a coupon inside for a “Graceland” tour too…

2. Chris Edwards says:

This release is shoddy exploitation.It’s similar to what would happen if the Beatles released a “Best of the White Album” and included selected tracks from Let It Be,and an overdubbed version of Hey Jude with Bing Crosby vocals.

3. Troy Gale says:

Hi,

I’m in Australia and i have a question no one seems to be asking and that is – will their be an Album even live or studio of the new NBC special airing on the 17th of Feb in the U.S with all performances of classic Elvis tunes maybe even a double Cd and Vinyl set ?

I would have thought this would have been their chance to finally make a duet Album of Elvis singing along side other singers new and older.

4. Jules Gray says:

What are Suspicious Minds and Burning Love doing on here. This is so far from being definitive. A purely Elvis version of If I Can Dream is *the* most essential recording from the whole project. Avoid!

5. SimonP says:

Shirley this is the opposite of a super deluxe edition?

6. First Snower says:

I wish a vinyl version.

7. Pbody says:

None of the links to the discounted pre-order prices work. What am I doing wrong?

8. Charles says:

Can there be a version without the last track?

9. G S Cleere says:

The ‘box’ was too much –but this feels ‘just right’!!!

10. Dave says:

Elvis died when he went into the army but was resurrected in 1968. Pure rock and roll with no filler. He was everything.

11. Paul Murphy says:

Who on Earth thought that ‘Lawdy Miss Clawdy’ didn’t qualify? And that ‘Burning Love’ from 1972 would not seem rather out of place? Most peculiar, Mama.

12. gwynogue says:

If they’re ‘adding’ other singers’ vocals, I’m surprised they didn’t bung in the Elvis/Martina McBride “Blue Christmas” from some years back – the video used footage from the special and ‘digitally enhanced’ it to look like they were singing together.

13. Craig Hedges says:

What no Royal Philharmonic Orchestra???

14. johnnyv says:

I miss there Let Yourself Go film version.

15. Mark Levy says:

I might just get this version as it doesn’t include Blue Christmas on it.