Eurythmics vinyl reissues due in 2018

With the band currently nominated as a 2018 inductee in the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame (you can vote here) today comes the news that Sony will release all eight of Eurythmics RCA studio albums next year…

In The Garden (1981), Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) (1983), Touch (1983), Be Yourself Tonight (1985), Revenge (1986), Savage (1987), We Too Are One (1989) and Peace (1999) are the albums in question, of which the first three are currently slated for release in April next year, Be Yourself Tonight, Revenge and Savage lined up for July and We Too Are One and Peace almost a year away, with an October 2018 release date!

The band have never liked 1984 remix album Touch Dance which is therefore not part of this reissue campaign and despite the social media campaign talking of ‘all’ their studio albums, 1984 (For The Love Of Big Brother) is another absentee, presumably because it’s the one album owned by Universal (this anomaly is down to an opportunistic Richard Branson managing to get the rights to issue the soundtrack back in the day). Peace has never been issued on vinyl, so fans might view that is the most exciting aspect of this campaign.

The announcement represents something of a thawing of relations with Sony, with Stewart in the past scathing about their perceived lack of interest in the band and their body of work. Whether this means we might see some proper archival activity – perhaps at the back end of next year – remains to be seen.

To coincide with this announcement ‘DJ Earworm’ has created an officially sanctioned mash-up called Eurythmix.

The vinyl reissues will be out in 2018. Read SDE’s 2016 interview with Dave Stewart.

Eurythmics

Eurythmics

We Too Are One vinyl LP

Eurythmics

Peace vinyl LP

99 responses to Eurythmics vinyl reissues due in 2018

1. Auntie Sabrina says:

“… Stewart is trying to track down the master tapes for Sweet Dreams – which were misplaced as RCA Records changed hands over the years.
    He remembers making “about 60 weird experiments” before arriving at the single’s final arrangement “and some of them sound extremely modern”.
    “I’d love to get that tape back. If a band came out today with some of those backing tracks, you wouldn’t say, ‘Oh, that sounds like it was made in 1981’.”

2. Steve W says:

I lost interest in the band after Touch but I will very much look forward to replacing my ancient copies of that & Sweet Dreams. My copy of the curio In The Garden however is still in great condition.

• tim says:

Totally understandable, however you should really examine “Savage” which is an exceptional album.

• Lemmin says:

I’ll second tim, Savage is outstanding. I dropped off after Revenge but revisited their later works during Annie’s solo success run, glad I did.

• CJ says:

I’ll also support checking out Savage–it’s not that I dislike Be Yourself Tonight and Revenge, but they always sounded like a different band to me. Savage was the last point where they sounded like the original Eurythmics that I fell in love with in the early 80’s. I frankly enjoy all their albums, but Savage is on par with Sweet dream and Touch in m opinion.

• Trash says:

@Tim you beat me to it. Savage is indeed a fantastic album – possibly (probably) my favourite – a return to their electronic roots!

3. Graham says:

It would e great if they released a compilation of their 12″ mixes on vinyl

4. Tony Orwell says:

with my Aiwa cassette player being used on a daily basis I had a cassette with be yourself tonight on one side and Hounds of love on the other, pretty much wore that bad boy out in 1985/1986. One of the great 80’s bands for sure

5. Carl Ramplin says:

1984 … and Touch dance …
    ho hum or is that completism?

There’s nothing ‘ho hum’ about 1984. I’d say it’s their second best album after Savage.

• Carl Ramplin says:

yes – but there aren’t BAD albums … great and good … great includes 1984 Be Yourself, Sweet dreams and Savage for me
        I know they hate 1984 … but what about us … glaring gap in the linear stacked treasure … and Touch Dance has moments too

Dave definitely doesn’t hate 1984. We had a great chat about that album when I interviewed him.

• CJ says:

I don’t think either of them dislike 1984. The problem is a rights issue (as Paul mentions in his write-up). The album rights were linked with the film and a different label, and there has yet to be an agreement that brings it back under the umbrella with all the “proper” studio albums.

I don’t really understand why together Dave and Annie don’t target 1984 as an album to reissue, because a) they don’t have to deal with Sony (which was always Dave’s issue) and b) despite the single being well known, it’s a rather ‘lost’ studio album. Also to throw in a ‘c)’ it didn’t get reissued in 2005 when the others did, so it’s long overdue. Finally d) It’s really good!

• Carl Ramplin says:

ok my understanding is wrong ….sure there was some reason it wasn’t remastered with the others but that makes it more irksome then its been forgotten …

Checking back it was reported as ‘there are issues’ …which morphed in my mind …
            so – which one will be reissued first 1984 or seeds of love …..?

• Trash says:

@Paul – 100% agree on both counts.
        About time someone had the good sense to reissue 1984.

• CJ says:

It would be great if we could get 1984 as an expanded edition with all the album tracks as they originally appeared on the release, plus the original score elements as they were intended for the film. I remember a post on here at some point linking to a file on YouTube where someone had pulled elements from the isolated film score on the BluRay release to show what the work that actually made it into the film sounded like. A disc of original cues and the music that was cut would be excellent as an archival release. Plus I love electronic scores, especially from that era, so I think it would be a chance for the entire project to be reevaluated, maybe even reconsidered as on-par with work by such masters as Carpenter.

I posted that YouTube link on twitter and Dave Stewart retweeted it, so he’s definitely aware :)

• Michael says:

Absolutely agree! 1984 is excellent and remains their most underrated.

• Michael Khalsa says:

1984 good album I remember that. That touch dance was not made with their involvement or consent at all. I read Dave Stewarts book .Lots of name dropping not a very good read.

I thought the book was brilliant. As for ‘name-dropping’… what are you supposed to do when you’ve worked with so many famous people? Not mention them?!

6. Wesley says:

I love early Eurythmics – the first three albums were peerless and Savage was a great return to form. But let’s be honest, Peace aside, all of these records are second-hand shop staples and can be picked up for fraction of the price of the proposed reissues.

7. Ross Munro says:

Is there going to be a download code with them? The CD’s are quite hard to find nowadays.

• Graham says:

They are available from the US for around $7.99(us) part of the Sony budget range. I order Be Yourself Tonight, Touch, and Sweet Dreams for friends quite often.

8. memoryboy says:

One of my favorite bands ever.

9. memoryboy says:

Paul you left out ‘Savage’ in your article on release dates. One if their best in my opinion

10. Klaus says:

Thanks for providing the link to the Rock’n Roll Hall Of Fame, though my 5 votes went to the current numbers 7,10,11,12 & 14 in ranking.
    Bon Jovi waaay ahead of all other contenders and The Cars on number 4 can only be explained in that the possibility to vote is better known in the US than in other countries.
    At least the Eurythmics currently have about 50% more votes than Depeche Mode, who seem to make the same album over and over again for more than 20 years now.

• mike says:

As opposed to have done one in the last 25 years? DM more deserving than Eurythmics, though none more deservant than Duran who are ignored again!

11. Johnathan says:

Annie Lennox’s first two solo albums are also tipped to be reissued on vinyl next year as well. They were part of a prize package via Annie’s FB page, with delivery of those delayed until Feb, I believe.

12. Kauwgompie says:

Wish they would do an SDE of the Eurythmics albums. One or two a year, like they do with the Ramones and include all the period remixes, demos, live stuff, early mixes, outtakes, etc. All these albums are high quality. Stewart probably has a point that Sony doesn’t pay enough attention. It’s astounding that you have (almost) the entire Eurythmics body of work under contract and you’re just sitting on it doing nothing.

13. Johnathan says:

Also it’s DJ Earworm (not Earthworm), who also did a similar remix for Annie’s solo output several years ago when ‘The Annie Lennox Collection’ was issued.

14. Stephen says:

Picked up sweet dreams vinyl and Spanish vinyl of revenge for £6 total to replace my damaged copies. Both play brilliantly. I’m sure there’s enough near mint copies of most of their albums floating about without the £22 price tag and my experience of the erasure vinyl reissues left a bad taste in my mouth with this kind of thing. Hope they do a good job with the transfer

15. gwynogue says:

I wish ‘Touch Dance’ was included. I know they don’t like it, but I’m a completeist. And as a remix lover, I’m really quite fond of it. Plus it’s kind of contradictory to say they’re not keen on remixes (according to Wikipedia, Annie felt ‘Touch Dance’ was too much of a commercial product) but promote the reissue campaign wiiiiith (drumroll please)…..a megamix.

Of course I also want ‘1984’ included, but that’s a record company/rights issue, not an ‘I don’t like it’ issue.

16. Chris Gerard says:

Interesting to note that they have dramatically altered the running order for “Peace” for the upcoming vinyl release. When it was reissued on CD in 2005, they used different mixes for most of the songs. I wonder if this is an attempt to better sequence the album, perhaps the way they originally intended, or just to balance out the vinyl sides lengthwise. It seems they could have done that without so many changes, which leads me to believe it’s an attempt to reseqeunce the album more to their liking. I was actually listening to it last night thinking it is oddly sequenced.

17. JPD says:

I for one am getting sick and tired of all these vinyl reissues. Most of us already have these on vinyl and first edition CDs plus the reissue CDs. Plus a lot of reissue campaigns as with this campaign are missing things. Touch Dance and 1984 are important releases in the Eurythmics back catalogue. It is great that Peace is finally getting a vinyl release.

I would prefer super deluxe cd editions containing all the edits, mixes and versions plus rarirites from each album. 1984 needs to receive the attention it deserves. It is one of my favourite Eurythmics album. Touch Dance can be included in the Touch SDE.

The vhs tapes of Savage and We Too Are One need to be released on DVD too. These could be a part of the SDE.

Savage is my all time favourite Eurythmics albums and it has some amazing single edits and remixes. A SDE would be incredible including a DVD of Savage and the Fanclub 1987 Christmas Flexidisc with I’ve Got A Lover (Back In Japan) Remix.

Record companies need to get fans involved in reissue campaigns. We know what we want and are more likely to part with our cash if these reissues are concise and complete.

18. Ken Evans says:

Saw Annie in concert a few years ago, good show – although, at one point she says “Did I invent the 80’s or what?” hmmm……

Paul, who do you think invented the 80’s, or did anyone?

• Michael McA says:

There is an arrogance about Annie Lennox that is quite unattractive. In the sleeve notes to her ‘Collection’, I’m pretty sure she refers to the songs as ‘classics’ and ‘timeless’ – which is nonsense. Diva was a pretty good album but she’s produced nothing solo to match the inventiveness of Eurythmics. She’s a bloody great singer but IMO Dave was the greater talent.

Think she had probably watched Grace Jones’ ‘One Man Show’ a few times too!

I still play 1984 – even better than Savage.

• Nigel D Day says:

Bowie with the Let’s Dance/Serious Moonlight.

For starters.

19. Eric M. says:

I may buy these, as I had cassettes and CDs of theirs but hardly any vinyl; HOWEVER, jeeeeez would I much rather see a CD reissue campaign with those missing period remixes. Sigh.

20. Jon J says:

Whilst it’s welcome to see some activity around Eurythmics’ back catalogue, it’s hard to get excited about these vinyl reissues. As for many 1980s bands, secondhand copies of Eurythmics LPs are fairly easy to find, so apart from ‘Peace’ and, to a lesser extent, ‘In the Garden’, these don’t add much to what’s already out there.

A more comprehensive repackaging of their albums on CD to supersede the incomplete 2005 reissues would be much more welcome (as would finally releasing the superb ‘Savage’ video anthology on DVD). Alternatively, if vinyl is the only way forward, the release of Annie’s earlier solo albums on vinyl would be a more attractive option – ‘Diva’ is hard to find these days and ‘Medusa’ never got a UK release on vinyl.

21. Dustin Soper says:

I’m thrilled with this idea. I wonder if Savage will have the original poster inside of it in this reissue?

22. Chris Squires says:

Rather like the Phil Collins vinyl they are missing a trick. If these were all made into doubles with a second LP of original remixes, demos and b-sides then I would snap every single one of them up.

23. toni says:

Waiting for ” Peace” no interst for the rest.

24. Mike the Fish says:

I’m interested in Peace on vinyl, but is there any word on which mixes they’re using for it?

25. Mike the Fish says:

I may have to try out the new sequence of Peace with both versions of the CD!

26. Martin Power says:

£22 per release but too rich for me so let’s hope for some deals as if not just pick up and Ex week on from charity shop?

27. CJ says:

Let’s just hope this is a sign that the attention from the Hall of Fame has helped Sony notice that they have an entire catalog that has been seriously under-served. I would really like a proper re-issue campaign, possibly a box set. Something to make good on the promise of the original re-issue campaign, that started a trickle through the floodgates and then promptly slammed shut.

28. Omar says:

I think a 3cd/dvd boxset would’ve been ideal. Like an anthology of sorts with stuff that was left off last time around in 2005. Hopefully this renewed interest in the duo’s rock & roll hall of fame nomination will somehow prompt Sony to get off their ass and let Dave Stewart have control over the back catalogue.

29. Not Available says:

Has everyone forgotten about the live album, and particularly the acoustic disc?

• feline1 says:

seemingly they have. Mind you, it was basically rubbish compared to some of the live recordings that must be in the vaults.
      The four live tracks from 1981 that ended up on the ‘This is the House’ 12″ are astounding (and outrageously, only two of them ended up on the remastered CD editions).
      I also have a couple of wonderful bootlegs from 1982 on very hissy cassettes (one of which is from a licensable BBC In Concert).

30. Brian says:

It’s a shame In The Garden is ignored when it comes to their greatest hits albums. It’s one of their best. IMO

• CJ says:

I think that album is so great because it is so “out there” in terms of what they are best known for. Yes, it has the electronics that they would put to such different effect in a short time, but the general aesthetic of the album is so much more….almost psychedelic? The arrangements and the distortions, the mixes of the songs. It feels like something that straddles 60’s psychedelia, 70s punk, and 80s electro. I’m sure there are probably other albums like it out there in terms of sonics, but I haven’t really found any of them. It may not be a “polished” as what came after, but it really deserves attention and acclaim for the risks that it takes.

31. Andrew F says:

The official Eurythmics store is offering three bundles for each stage of the vinyl release campaign, which prices each record at £15 before postage.

I’ve preordered all three bundles and it’s added £11 postage to the total order, making each album £16.38 inclusive of UK delivery.

This is markedly better than the current Amazon UK pre-order price of £21.99 per album.

• Mike the Fish says:

Are you aware that if that’s a single order they won’t post the albums until the last bundle comes out? They’re not staggering postage for single orders, each bundle has to be ordered separately to be posted separately.

32. Dustin Soper says:

SONY hasn’t issued one of their 2 CD “Essential” titles for Eurythmics at all – and I’m surprised. That could be something interesting – at least have it Eurythmics/Annie Lennox if you can’t find 2 CD’s worth of material for Eurythmics.

33. James says:

I truly love this band, wondering if there will be a download code of sorts? Their back catalogue should be explored a little deeper as i wasnt aware of 1984 (born a little later)
    Would love cd boxes for all these records.

34. baward says:

Having got well into Dave & Ann back with ‘In The Garden’, which I still have, my patience was truly tested with the seemingly endless 12″ version of ‘Right By Your Side’, and I drifted away from them after that.

On the other hand, ‘This Is The House’ 12″ is one of the best records I own.

35. Isaías says:

I totally agree with JPD up above. Super Deluxe Editions to all of their albums. Needless to say to include all the edits, remixes, alternative versions, demos, promo videos, top of the pops, BBC, etc…
    Great idea to get die hard fans involved in the process in order to make it as complete as possible !!! Record companies should listen to us before releasing box sets. Sometimes they turn it into something really boring !!!

36. Mike the Fish says:

Peace doesn’t look like it will divide very well on vinyl. Depending on which mix is used (presuming it’s one or the other and not a combination and/or new mixes or edits) side 2 clocks in at just under or just over 27 minutes. I thought the resequencing might have been to even up the side duration, but there’s not a huge amount in it and the original running order. A 49 minute album is not ideal for single vinyl, but then I guess it wasn’t originally prepared with that in mind.

37. Daniel ( from Berlin ) says:

start eventually with a good ( complete ) DELUXE EDITION of the “sweet dreams” album!
    but please with ALL remixes and all b-sides and 12” bonus tracks.
    especially “i’ve got an angel” ( dub ) is amazing.
    i still can’t believe that they made no 12” mix of “love is a stranger”…. too bad.
    but maybe it lays deep in the vaults.

• feline1 says:

I love “Step on the Beast”, that was another one that never made it onto CD yet… and “Invisible Hands” (which was originally gonna be the album’s title track!) … and all those wierd remixes of “The Walk”

38. memoryboy says:

I was not happy with the remastered sound from the 2005 reissues, I thought they sounded very flat, and it’s been a disappointment ever since. I bought all of those but I’ve always wish that they would remaster them properly and really do a really great job. It would be great if they remastered them on CD again. I don’t know Who remastered those reissues but they just don’t sound that great to me. It’s like those 2005 reissues sound like they made Annies vocals crystal clear but the music is very flat, like listening to it through a table cloth.

• Mike the Fish says:

I compared a Stirling (I think) cut of Be Yourself Tonight with the 2005 remaster and thought the remaster sounded fine.

• Mike the Fish says:

… It was cut according to the original mastering credit, and pressed on Germany. Maybe Precision rather than Stirling?

39. Keith Ainsworth says:

I missed the ‘In The Garden’ period the first time around. Then I saw the Whistle Test performances of Belinda and Never Gonna Cry Again (now on youtube) which intrigued me enough to seek it out. Glad I did, it’s great stuff.

40. Benjamin Adams says:

No 1984, that’s a bummer. It’s the one I want the most.

41. Louise says:

UK price £22 is not great for a single album, some of them on Amazon are £17.10 (Touch was one) but for stuff that’s made it’s money years ago they’re a bit overpriced. Part of me thinks the record companies are starting to take the rise now with some of their pricing for what is just a straight repress usually without any bonuses etc.

42. wayne klein says:

I’d love to see these reissued on CD mastered properly. I have all the original RCA releases and purchased a couple of the reissues and the mastering sucks.

43. kittens69 says:

I like the idea of listening to The Eurythmics (formed, by the way, in Wagga Wagga Australia which I happened to pass through on a train yesterday), but her voice and the production gets v tiresome after three songs. ‘Sweet Dreams’, ‘Touch’, ‘1984’, some of ‘Be Yourself Tonight’ & ‘Savage’ are the only albums worth touching and all readily available in good pressing. Annie is a bit po-faced and worthy, but doubt she wrote her sleeve notes; suspect you can blame some eager beaver at 19 Management for penning those! ‘This City Never Sleeps’ is still a total classic, even better when it was used in ’91/2 Weeks’. A career of diminishing returns…

44. memoryboy says:

Paul may I ask what is your favorite Eurythmics song?

That’s a tricky one…. Savage is my favourite album, so tempted to say “You Have Placed A Chill In My Heart” or “Shame”… but my favourite song might be “I Love You Like A Ball and Chain” from Be Yourself Tonight. I also really like “Take Me To Your Heart” from In The Garden.

• James says:

Favourite single is still the first I’d heard – Love is a Stranger.

Apologies for the ramble, but seeing Annie pull off her wig in the back of that limo for the video at the age of 12 was one of the key turning points in my life. I’d compare it to the tales told of those seeing Bowie perform ‘Starman’ on TOTP. I had never seen anything like it. I was deeply transfixed and became more than slightly obsessed as teenagers do over pop stars and music.

And for the early-to-mid 1980s, Annie was a genuine, magnificent pop star. But what’s always held fascination is the period between the first two albums.

How did ‘Ann’, the mousy girl from Aberdeen who wrote and sang with her ex on ‘In the Garden’ – a wonderful potpourri of left-field Euro p0p-angst – in the space of just 6-9 months turn into ‘Annie’, a shimmering, confident diva seemingly unafraid to bare her soul to millions of us. Just take a look at her on The Old Grey Whistle Test performing ‘Belinda’ and ‘Never Gonna Cry Again’. Then watch some of the live footage from Heaven nightclub about a year later – the difference still staggers.

Obviously Grace Jones is a heavy influence, but after all these years on, I still don’t have an easy answer.

I pretty much loved all the albums up to ‘We Too Are One’, which still sounds to me like a collection of half-baked demos, songs quickly written to be ready for the next tour. The precise focus of writing and the emotion was absent, bar a couple of tracks. Maybe I’m being harsh, as ‘Savage’ was almost to great to follow.

Here’s hoping for some SDE sets to follow after these somewhat unnecessary reissues.

45. alan hansen says:

i was considering whether to post something about “1984,” but i think i’ll pass, as it’s quite redundant and unnecessary.

46. memoryboy says:

thanks for sharing that with us. I have to say those are great choices. “I love you like a ball and chain” is incredible. And her vocals on that song are incredible. I am still surprised they did not make that a single, did they? Did they make that a single? I thought I saw in Smash Hits magazine once they had the lyrics… and I wonder if it was ever issued as a single. “I love you like a ball and chain” is an amazing song. I also think “You have placed a chill in my heart” is one of their very best as well, that’s also an amazing song. those are both some of my favorites as well. It’s hard to choose.

No, “I Love You Like A Ball And Chain” was never a single.. but easily could have been. Be Yourself Tonight is a fantastic album.

• Mike the Fish says:

Yes, it’s a stand out on the album, as is that crazy phasey bit near the end of the track

There was a really good Radio 1 documentary/interview with Dave Stewart when this album came out, where he talked about that phasing and loads of other aspects of the album. I remember a similar one for Arcadia’s So Red The Rose. Some great archive audio which is ‘lost’ and should be part of reissue sets if/when they happen.

• Mike the Fish says:

I’d love to hear that documentary.

• mike says:

And i find someone else who remembers it! Every year i ask on the Duran forum if anyone has it, to utter silence. Great interview with Annie Nightingale and Nick actually named Rose Arcana on the show.

That’s right! Simon said that “Lady Ice” was Nick’s favourite song, ever!

47. Don says:

I would love to see a Savage box set.
    With the Blu Ray DVD video album that they did 4 Savage. And all the remixes that came out with the Savage singles. I have the Savage Vine video but don’t have anything to play it on.
    Anyone knows why the eurhythmics haven’t got the deluxe a treatment is a great misfortune for us music lovers

48. AKICKUPTHE80S says:

I love the Eurythmics but I have to admit to being a bit disappointed with this announcement. There had been some pics/video of Dave and Annie making music together so I was really hoping for a new album and tour… I suppose that it could still happen.

I’d rather see proper deluxe CD reissues of the albums.

I do need to go back and check out the 1984 soundtrack again as I clearly haven’t fully appreciated it judging on the comments above.

49. feline1 says:

Very non-plussed by this!
    These albums sold by the bucketload on release and you can buy them on vinyl for peanuts at any record fair. (Apart from ‘Peace’, but meh to that) – don’t see what the need to bring them out on vinyl again is?! (Unless we’re acknowledging that vinyl is a crap format that degrades still further every time you play it ;)

There are still about a dozen B-sides, cassingle and 12″ bonus tracks from Eurythmics that never made it onto CD yet… and there’s surely to god tons of unreleased demos and other recordings in the vaults, and masses of live recordings too, all of which could be used to form 2 or 3-CD reissues of the albums.

50. Daniel ( from Berlin ) says:

the megamix shows what great songs eurythmics did in all these years.
    but the megamix itself is horror!
    p.s. annie lennox seems like a little bit over the top on the “17 again” & “i saved the world”
    videos….it lookslike she is on a LSD trip.

51. memoryboy says:

I think my favorite Eurythmics album is “Touch” quickly followed by Sweet Dreams (are made of this), after that it’s hard to choose… I think Savage is right up there at the top too. Also 1984 is an excellent album. I prefer “Revenge” over “Be Yourself Tonight”.

I’m a sucker for the synth-based early stuff, with Annie’s extra cropped bright orange hair and power suit’s. Those first two albums were a huge influence on my youth and teenage years.

52. memoryboy says:

I remember being extremely excited when I first heard ‘Beethoven (I Love To Listen To) on the radio. I honestly thought it was Grace Jones and Annie Lennox doing a song together! I was confused, but knew I loved it instantly. Savage ended up being a favorite for me.

My favorite Eurythmics song? Gosh, that’s a hard one, but judging by the ones I play the most, it might go in this order… top 10:

1. Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)
    2. Here Comes The Rain Again
    3. Who’s That Girl?
    4. Aqua
    5. Grown Up Girls
    6. Beethoven [I Love To Listen To]
    7. You Have Placed A Chill In My Heart
    8. Missionary Man
    9. The Last Time
    10. I Love You Like A Ball And Chain

After that, it’s hard to choose, but I would add…

Jennifer
    No Fear, No Hate, No Pain (No Broken Hearts)
    Love Is A Stranger
    The Walk
    The Miracle Of Love
    Sex Crime (1984)
    Would I Lie To You?
    omg, see? I can’t stop, hahaha, it’s hard to choose.

53. william mckinley says:

Still patiently waiting for the Super Deluxes of their albums.

54. memoryboy says:

Ok, so, I’ve gone back and had a close listen to the 2005 Remastered Albums that were reissued years ago, I have the whole Collection, I was disappointed they weren’t able to include the 1984 (Big Brother) album in those Remastered albums but I understand why that was a problem for them to do. Someday let’s hope.

Earlier on this post I commented I was not happy with the 2005 Remasters. Well, I’ve changed my mind.

Well, I was pleasantly surprised when I went back to listen to those reissues. The sound quality is actually quite good. And I mean everything sounds great. I think what happened was I compared specific tracks to other copies I had and decided the remastered sound was not very good. I was wrong. What I realized was that the sound was actually better than many remasters being released out there. I like the fact that these remasters aren’t super “Tinny” if that makes sense, the sound is not overly “Treble-y” which is good… not sure what the word would be for this, but I found that it’s a great remaster. Everything sounds balanced.

Some remastered music is screwed up by either too much bass added or too much treble, something is either cranked up all the way to the left or the right. These remasters sound just fine, which is a relief. I have avoided listening to these CD’s for years mostly due to my verdict that the sound was not very good. Having changed my mind, I have been on an “Eurythmics-Marathon all weekend, Binge-Listening to all the CD’s these past few days.

What a nice surprise to find these Albums were not a waste of money back when I bought them. I’ve avoided them for the most part the past eleven years (I bought the complete Collection of Remastered CD albums back in 2005 when they were released)

Isn’t it strange how that happens?

I also have the Eurythmics “Ultimate Collection” that was also released back in 2005. And I love how they included single edit versions on that Collection. Although the “1984” era is sorely missing.

I have also been enjoying the Bonus tracks on each album as well. I had actually listened to these CD’s a few times back when I first got them and enjoyed discovering the Bonus tracks, but because I felt the sound quality wasn’t up to snuff I haven’t gone back to listen to them much. I actually have all the Eurythmics albums on Vinyl (Including ‘1984’ on Vinyl and I have ripped them all to CD and mp3, including many Extended Remixes. So I already have my own collection of their albums on CD ripped from Vinyl and they sound excellent) but it’s nice to know these remasters from back in 2005 sound Great. It’s like Christmas happened early over here now that I went back and had a second listen. Hahaha, So thrilled about this.

Now if only Depeche Mode would go back and remaster all their albums PROPERLY with a bonus disc of b-sides and remixes, well that would make my life complete. I am still disappointed by the sound quality of those DM reissues from years ago. They are my favorite band. I wish they would take the time and just do what the Pet Shop Boys are doing, they have done an excellent job on their remasters recently.

Songs to note that I have really been enjoying re-discovering off the Eurythmics 2005 Remastered albums are:

Never Gonna Cry Again [Live] (1982)
    Your Time Will Come (1981)
    4/4 In Leather [Live] (1982)
    Satellite Of Love (1982)
    Fame (1983)
    Grown Up Girls (1985)
    Missionary Man (Single Version) (1986)
    Shame [Dance Mix] (1987)
    The King And Queen Of America [Dance Remix] (1989)
    Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me (1989)
    Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) [Hot Remix] (1991)
    Just to name a few….

55. memoryboy says:

Ok, one last note here… I got a little excited, and posted about it, only to have possibly changed my mind again. Yesterday I was listening to my own collection of CD’s I had that I ripped the entire Eurythmics catalog from vinyl (including the ‘1984’ album and it has always sounded amazing to me. I’ve always felt that Vinyl was the superior listening experience. And I still feel that way. Analog is the way to go IMO.

Anyways, I decided to compare my Vinyl rips to the 2005 Reissues of the Eurythmics albums that were remastered. Wow. Once again I am really disappointed in the difference. The 2005 Remasters sound way too loud. Over-compressed? Almost muted in sound quality, like listening to it through a cloth… compared to my Vinyl rips the 2005 Remasters sound terrible. This was the conclusion I made years ago. So what happened recently where I changed my mind?

Well, I was listening to the 2005 Remasters over this past weekend and yes I found some redeeming qualities in them, there are subtle details in the sound that obviously sound remastered (in a good way), and honestly they sounded pretty good on my stereo, (small and large speakers) but when I compared the 2005 Remasters to my Vinyl rips, it’s amazing the difference. My Vinyl rips are superior in every way. Confirms why I love the sound of Vinyl.

But I love the convenience of mp3’s, for when I am out walking around.

After listening to the 2005 Remasters and my Vinyl rips yesterday I decided to look up anything about these online and came across this website…

And there it is. Many people complaining about the Eurythmics remasters. And I have to say, I half agree with them. The song ‘When Tomorrow Comes’ on the ‘Ultimate Collection’ CD is Loud and so very overly-compressed, it’s so bad, and now I’m…. back to being heart broken.

LOL

I think for now I will stick to my Vinyl rips. Plus I have almost all the extended remixes ripped off vinyl and also the ‘1984’ album. So I’m good.

But would still love a Box set for each album, remastered beautifully, with bonus tracks and all the Extended Remixes, etc… AND the ‘984’ album Remastered with all the extras…

So there is my final verdict. I find the 2005 Remasters are listenable, they really are, but as some have said the original CD releases back in the 80’s may sound better, if you can find older used copies online or in the shops. I am extremely picky about sound quality. And I would say the 2005 Reissues are listenable … until something better comes along.

56. Daniel says:

How many more posts do we need on here before Dave gets on with the DELUXE EDITIONS?

Wish list 2019:

SWEET DREAMS SDE the weird demos, remixes, concert special? Heaven club, London?
    TOUCH SDE to include Touch Dance, Videos, Remixes, Demos
    BE YOURSELF TONIGHT – empty the f*ing vault!
    REVENGE SDE to include Eurythmics LIVE 1987 on DVD
    SAVAGE SDE to include the films, remixes – especially those previously available on vinyl – what about that promo gig they did in paris?
    WE TOO ARE ONE to include We TOO ARE ONE TWO on DVD
    PEACE meh.

AND NEW MUSIC! Those two need to sit down with a synthesizer again. No string quartet anniversary or something. Lennox has helped enough. Time to make some more magic!!!

57. Phil Fogel says:

One of my all time favorite groups. They are so underrated. Be Yourself Tonight, Revenge and Savage are 3 of my all time favorite albums. I was hoping they would do a 3CD/DVD set like the Bananarama ones. I’ve been looking for he 1984 soundtrack on CD for years.