Fairground Attraction / First Of A Million Kisses / 2CD deluxe edition

fa_reissue

Fairground Attraction‘s only ‘proper’ studio album, 1988’s The First Of A Million Kisses, will be reissued in January by Cherry Red as a two-CD deluxe edition.

The 12-track long-player (14 on the original CD edition) was almost entirely written by guitarist Mark E. Nevin and featured the vocal talents of Eddi Reader. It’s well remembered in the UK and Europe thanks to the phenomenal success of first single Perfect, which went to number one in the UK and was a top ten hit virtually everywhere else (although not in the USA).

Three further singles were issued before the band split. Record label RCA put out a follow-up called Ay Fond Kiss, although this was really just a collection of unreleased recordings and B-sides to previously released singles.

This new deluxe edition of The First Of A Million Kisses includes virtually everything from Ay Fond Kiss (Walking After Midnight is a different version and Cajun Band is missing) and also features nine previously unreleased recordings. On disc two you’ll also find eight non-album tracks originally issued on the Japan-only Live In Japan.

This new set has been compiled with Mark Nevin and the sleevenotes include interviews with him and Eddi Reader. This will be released on 20 January 2017.

5013929169838

Fairground Attraction

The First of A Million Kisses (Expanded Edition)

Shop Price GBP Stock

18. YOU SEND ME
19. WATCHING THE PARTY
20. JOCK O’ HAZELDEAN
21. THE GAME OF LOVE

DISC TWO:
1. MYSTERY TRAIN
2. DO YOU WANT TO KNOW A SECRET?
3. THE WALTZ CONTINUES (LIVE IN JAPAN)
4. DON’T BE A STRANGER (LIVE IN JAPAN)
5. DANGEROUS (LIVE IN JAPAN)
6. I KNOW WHY THE WILLOW WEEPS (LIVE IN JAPAN)
7. HOME TO HEARTACHE (LIVE IN JAPAN)
8. FEAR IS THE ENEMY OF LOVE (LIVE IN JAPAN)
9. BROKEN BY A BREEZE (LIVE IN JAPAN)
10. GOODBYE TO SONGTOWN (LIVE IN JAPAN)
11. I MAY NEVER BE QUEEN*
12. PRAYER FOR ST VALENTINE*
13. SWING TRUMPET (DEMO)*
14. RED RIBBON (DEMO)*
15. FIND MY LOVE (DEMO)*
16. MYTHOLOGY (DEMO)*
17. STATION STREET (DEMO)*
18. THE MOON IS MINE (DEMO)*
19. WALKING AFTER MIDNIGHT (VERSION)*

* PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

16 responses to Fairground Attraction / First Of A Million Kisses / 2CD deluxe edition

1. alan hansen says:

well, i wish they’d gone all the way and simply included ALL the Fairground Attraction output in one set – i’ll be buying this specifically for the two unreleased studio tracks: “i may never be queen” and “prayer for st. valentine” – and i’ll be hanging on to my japanese remasters otherwise as well. still, lovely news!

2. AnthonyC says:

This looks like a very nice deluxe edition.

I remember when Eddi Reader worked with Alison Moyet during the Raindancing era.

3. Willy says:

Eddi was all over the shop at one time…. she also appeared with the Eurythmics on Top of the Pops doing backing vocal for ‘Sweet Dreams are Made of This’ and backing vocals also for the Waterboys’ ‘The Big Music’. Inevitably she would go on to great things.

4. Eric says:

Nitpick alert…First of a Million Kisses dates from May 1988…..

5. Larry Davis says:

Welll, there’s another one I have to rebuy, haha…have the original CD, happy most (if not all) of the rest is included…now time to sell…same thing happened with Blue Zone this year…although it’s not arriving till Thursday, same with the Donna Summer Ultimate…

6. Willy says:

I wonder why the different version of ‘Walking After Midnight’. The Ay Fond Kiss version is, sorry but it has to be said, perfect!!

7. Breed7 says:

Big Eddie Reader fan here. She’s virtually unknown here in the U.S., but I’ve managed to amass quite the collection of her work, including the two Fairground Attractions albums. This will help fill in a lot of blanks in my collection, though!

8. Neil says:

I liked her solo stuff but i absolutely detest that Perfect song it was irritating as hell.

9. Steve Marine says:

Wow. Just wow. I can’t believe I get to hear 4 brand new Fairground Attraction songs (albeit 2 in demo form). This is a dream come true. Eddi is my favorite singer of all time and I love her Fairground Attraction period. Ah, what I’d give to go back in time and watch her sing “Whispers” live… She has the voice of an angel. I think she’s the most underappreciated vocalist in the history of music. (Not that she hasn’t had success, but she should be Streisand-level famous.)

10. Neil Young says:

Didn’t she also appear on Elephant Talk’s second album ‘Head’?

11. Pingback:SDE Reissue Preview for 2017 | superdeluxeedition

12. Steve Marine says:

Has anyone heard anything about possible manufacturing errors on this disc? One of the new songs (“Prayer To St. Valentine”) has a very obvious glitch near the end of the song and I’m wondering if it’s a manufacturing error or if it is inherent to the source material.
    Either way, it’s a bummer considering the song is AMAZING. In fact, all of the new songs are amazing. (Although, if I can be picky, if they exist I would have rather had demo versions of all the live tracks since the live tracks are previously released.)

13. Steve Marine says:

Update on my previous post:
    I just received an email from Cherry Red which stated, “This isn’t a known error on this release so it’s most likely a one-off defect on the copy that you have. Our advice would be to return it for an exchange wherever you bought it from.”
    So I guess I’m the only unlucky one and you can buy it with confidence.