Frank Sinatra / Only The Lonely 60th anniversary deluxe edition

2CD or 2LP vinyl • 2018 stereo mix • Two unreleased tracks • Original mono mix

We don’t get too many 60th anniversary editions around these parts, but Universal Music are about to celebrate Frank Sinatra‘s 1958 album, Only The Lonely, with just such an edition.

Only The Lonely was a ‘mood’ album and this collection of torch songs followed in a similar vein to In the Wee Small Hours (1955) and Where Are You? (1957). If features songs like ‘One For My Baby (And One More For The Road’, ‘Angel Eyes’ and ‘Guess I’ll Hang My Tears Out To Dry’.

The new 60th anniversary edition is reissued across various formats. The two-CD edition features the original 1958 mono mix and a brand new 2018 stereo mix by Larry Walsh. ‘Only The Lonely’ was recorded as both a mono and stereo presentation,” explains Larry Walsh in the sleeve notes for this release. “The mono was the focus as that was the chief format of the day. The stereo was recorded with two microphones suspended high over the studio orchestra. Frank Sinatra’s voice was recorded onto a third track. With the stereo recording being mid-side decoded, the depth of the studio is revealed.”

Four bonus tracks from the mono session recordings are also featured in the double-CD package, including studio takes making their release debuts: ‘Angel Eyes’ (alternate session takes – May 5, 1958) and ‘Lush Life’ (session takes – May 29, 1958).

The 2LP vinyl edition features just the new stereo mix over four sides of vinyl and the same audio is including in a one-CD edition. The new edition’s audio was mastered by Ron McMaster at Capitol Studios.

Only The Lonely 60th anniversary edition will be released on 19 October 2018.

Frank Sinatra

6.  Good-Bye
7.  Blues In The Night
8.  Guess I’ll Hang My Tears Out To Dry
9.  Ebb Tide
10. Spring Is Here
11. Gone With The Wind
12. One For My Baby (And One More For The Road)

Bonus Tracks (Mono)

13. Guess I’ll Hang My Tears Out To Dry (alt take – May 5, 1958)
14. Angel Eyes (alt session takes – May 5, 1958) – previously unreleased

CD 2: New 2018 Stereo Mix + Bonus Tracks

1.  Only The Lonely
2.  Angel Eyes
3.  What’s New?
4.  It’s A Lonesome Old Town
5.  Willow Weep For Me
6.  Good-Bye
7.  Blues In The Night
8.  Guess I’ll Hang My Tears Out To Dry
9.  Ebb Tide
10. Spring Is Here
11. Gone With The Wind
12. One For My Baby (And One More For The Road)

Bonus Tracks (Mono)

13. Lush Life (session takes – May 29, 1958) – previously unreleased
14. One For My Baby (test track – June 24, 1958)

1CD and  2LP Vinyl editions (Stereo)

New 2018 Stereo Mix

Side D:

10. Spring Is Here
11. Gone With The Wind
12. One For My Baby

24 responses to Frank Sinatra / Only The Lonely 60th anniversary deluxe edition

1. Shane says:

I just got the two CD edition as a why not thing in my music store and I have to say it was wonderful to listen to while worn out from the day, lying on my bad. Will read up on this album as the liner notes and some claims on here had me thinking about its importance. It certainly does not scream hit at all, so I’d say a cult classic for movie connoisseurs at least.
    Love the packaging and the unusual Capitol label center with 1cm of silver disc showing. Not keen on the glossy pocket insides (prone to scratch!) and that you must touch the discs to get them out.

I also find it very strange to have three tracks per side (4 sides) because it’s like, really? Are they pressed on 45rpm? The latest Mylène Farmer album is a 45 min affair and is also pressed on two discs and they run at that speed.

2. Patrick Walker says:

Ordered the CD and vinyl. This for me is arguably the greatest album in popular music.

3. Donald leverett says:

Phenomenal capital record been with me all my life its great it’s released again. Looking forward to hearing the unknown track “lush life”
    I’m Frank sinatras greatest fan ever..

4. Ken.e says:

Really, they couldn’t do the double vinyl album as disc 1 2018 new mix and disc 2 mono. Not even the bonus tracks. Too bad!

This will will be a skip. Thanks for saving me money.

5. The Golden Age Of. _ _ _ _ _ _ '. _ says:

As a man I couldn’t stand him.

As a voice there are few better.

It’s the CD for me, I don’t fancy having to flip the LPs over every 10 minutes.

6. Wayne Olsen says:

A masterpiece. Just don’t listen to it with a gun in the house.

7. Ern says:

Anything Sinatra recorded on the Capitol label is worth having. Angel Eyes is an absolute classic.

8. Charlie Waffles says:

Why can’t Universal issue the Dean Martin Capitol albums like this? Dino was the best.

• Jess R Hernadez says:

I think because Capitol/Universal no longer controls Dean’s catalog. Dean’s estate now owns all the master tapes and session reels, and Sony is the distrubutor of those recordings now.

• Markus says:

From Bear Family you get the entire catalogue from Dean Martin. I have all 4 box sets.

9. nick says:

Never liked that maudlin album cover, blecch!

10. CAB says:

Nelson Riddle – the man who made Sinatra swing. You can smell the cigarette smoke and Brylcreem on those old recordings. Hats Off.

11. Steven Roberts says:

Wow, those bonus tracks seems a bit arbitrary.

Makes you wonder what they’re holidng back for the 70th anniversary!

12. hendry doran says:

Thanks Paul. I just love Sinatra’s singing. The voice of the 20th century indeed

13. Gerbrand says:

Intriguing picture of the 2cd set. Looks like after all the colored vinyl you can now choose black or silver cd’s.

Not exactly my type of music, but this is an album I have. Recommended by Bruce Springsteen who also covered Angel Eyes beautifully on Frank’s 80th birthday.

14. Kevin Galliford says:

Love this album! For me, one of his best.

15. AndyB says:

Being a closet Sinatra fan, this is great news. I’m pretty sure that all of this music could fit onto one cd, so hoping the price falls substantially.

• Spiral Scar says:

AndyB,
      Believe it or not, the twelve track mono LP as it was released in 1958 ran over 54 minutes! It was possible with a mono mix to press it without sacrificing sound quality. Just played my original mono LP and I must say, the whole thing is remarkably well engineered. Capitol studios and engineers were top of the line. Those old recordings have held up brilliantly, for all of his Capitol work. That said, stereo was brand new in 1958. This was FS’ first stereo album. The technology was still fresh and there was a problem cutting the stereo master as stereo grooves were wider for the two channels. Capitol couldn’t fit the entire program on the LP so two songs were (originally) left off the stereo version. The technology would quickly get more sophisticated, so this abridging business with Frank only happened again when the albums got their earliest LP reissues, though I don’t know why Capitol did this. It wasn’t because of time/space limitations by then.
      Imagine that. Nearly an hour! In 1958! The Def Leppard of his day! Many FS Capitol albums were generously programmed. By comparison, Beach Boys and (US) Beatles albums often averaged thirty minutes or less. “Wild Honey” – 24 minutes total. That’s less than side one of this album!
      I’m terribly excited to know that “Lush Life,” the one remaining studio title (not studio take) from the Capitol era, is finally being unearthed. According to the sessionography, there is no completed master, but it was never attempted again at Capitol and I don’t think he ever cut it for Reprise, either. This is one of my absolute favorite albums, though it is not for everyday listening! Thankfully, I don’t own a gun or a gnu.