A catalogue of 60 recordings will be issued, and the roll-out kicks off with 12 albums on 31 July 2012. Another dozen recordings will be released monthly through the end of 2012.
“The ink is not yet dry on The Zappa Family Trust’s worldwide deal with Universal Music Enterprises,” says Gail Zappa (Frank’s widow and the head of the Family Trust). “They made us the offer we couldn’t refuse–for all the right reasons. It is a win-win for all of us, but mostly for Frank Zappa. Long may his baton wave. We are so ready to go.”
The UME deal is for the entire Zappa Catalog as it appeared on Frank Zappa’s own independent label, Barking Pumpkin Records, and the press release talks about ‘many’ of the original analog masters have been re-mastered for this occasion. That statement suggests that unreleased bonus material will not form part of this reissue campaign, although track listings have not been announced.
The initial 12 releases set for 31 July are as follows.
- 1. Freak Out! (1966)
- 2. Absolutely Free (1967)
- 3. Lumpy Gravy (1968)
- 4. We’re Only In It For The Money (1968)
- 5. Cruising With Ruben & The Jets (1968)
- 6. Uncle Meat (1969)
- 7. Hot Rats (1969)
- 8. Burnt Weeny Sandwich (1970)
- 9. Weasels Ripped My Flesh (1970)
- 10. Chunga’s Revenge (1970)
- 11. Fillmore East, June 1971 (1971)
- 12. Just Another Band From L.A. (1972)