Freiheit / Fantasy 2CD deluxe

Christmas Eve isn’t a bad time to tell you about a two-CD deluxe edition of German band Münchener Freiheit‘s 1988 album Fantasy.

It was the band’s fifth studio album but only their second recorded in English (in German it was called Fantasie). The reason Christmas feels like a good time to mention this is because it was 30 years ago almost exactly that Freiheit (as they were also known) released the spectacularly McCartney-esque single ‘Keeping The Dream Alive’, which deserved to be a much bigger hit than its number 14 peak in December 1988.

I bought the CD single at the time, which contained the extended version of the song, the single version and album track The Land of Fantasy. I must admit I never got around to buying the album, but probably will do now that Cherry Red are preparing a reissue.

The forthcoming expanded two-CD edition features both the English Language version of the album and the original German version. There is also a selection of bonus tracks such as extended mixes including three extra versions of Keeping The Dream Alive. This set comes with a booklet featuring sleeve notes from Michael Silvester.

This Fantasy 2CD expanded edition will be released on 22 February 2019.

FREIHEIT

FANTASY: 2CD EXPANDED EDITION

CD ONE:
FANTASY
1. KEEPING THE DREAM ALIVE
2. KISSED YOU IN THE RAIN
3. DIANA
4. THE LAND OF FANTASY
5. MOONLIGHT
6. TEARS ARE A GIRL’S BEST FRIEND
7. SO GOOD
8. FOREVER AND A DAY
9. POOR LITTLE BOY
10.ON THE RUN TO BE FREE
11.KEEPING THE DREAM ALIVE (U.S. SHORT INTRO VERSION)
12.KEEPING THE DREAM ALIVE (INSTRUMENTAL)
13.KISSED YOU IN THE RAIN (EXTENDED VERSION)
14.BABY IT’S YOU
15.BABY IT’S YOU (EXTENDED VERSION)
16.WHEN LOVERS CRY
17.KEEPING THE DREAM ALIVE (EXTENDED VERSION)

CD TWO:
FANTASIE (GERMAN LANGUAGE VERSION)
1. BIS WIR UNS WIEDERSEH’N
2. IN DEINEN AUGEN
3. DIANA
4. LAND DER FANTASIE
5. MONDLICHT
6. SO HEISS
7. ZUM ALLERERSTEN MAL
8. DU BIST DABEI
9. LASS ES EINFACH GESCHEH’N
10.SO LANG’ MAN TRAUME NOCH LEBEN KANN (VERSION 2)
11.BIS WIR UNS WIEDERSEH’N (LANGE VERSION)
12.DIANA (LANGE VERSION)
13.SO HEISS (SINGLE REMIX)
14.SO HEISS (LANGE VERSION)
15.SO LANG’ MAN TRAUME NOCH LEBEN KANN
16.SO LANG’ MAN TRAUME NOCH LEBEN KANN (LANGE VERSION)

39 responses to Freiheit / Fantasy 2CD deluxe

1. Griffin says:

I love their music since Play It Cool. That’s I made a couple of compilation CD’s myself many years ago. 3 of their English Albums with their German Versions. And also remixes of their English catalog. I did some googling (discogs & http://www.traumziel.info/mf.htm) and also comparing to my own CDR’s. A bit strange as someone already has mentioned: that Baby It’s You and the B-side When Lovers Cry from their previous album Romancing In The Dark are included here. Perhaps Cherry Red/Pop thought it was from this album as their German & English singles of Fantasie & Fantasy were released criss cross and also between these 2 & their 2 previous albums (Traumziel & Romancing In The Dark). Also someone mentioned it: Diana [German Version-Single Remix] is missing & So Lang’ Man Träume Noch Leben Kann [Original Version] is missing. So Lang’ Man Träume Noch Leben Kann [Instrumental Version] was the only Instrumental released of the song. There was no instumental of Keeping The Dream Alive. I’m not 100% sure whether the English & German Versions were exactly the same in arrangements or remixing etc

Freiheit – Fantasy [75:02]
    1. Keeping The Dream Alive (Single Version) 4:16 [=So Lang’ Man Träume Noch Leben Kann]
    2. Kissed You In The Rain 3:48 [=Bis Wir Uns Wiederseh’n]
    3. Diana 4:14 [=Diana]
    4. The Land Of Fantasy 4:55 [=Land Der Fantasie]
    5. Moonlight 3:11 [=Mondlicht]
    6. Tears Are A Girl’s Best Friend 4:57 [=In Deinen Augen]
    7. So Good 4:08 [=So Heiss]
    8. Forever And A Day 3:20 [=Zum Allerersten Mal]
    9. Poor Little Boy 3:28 [=Du Bist Dabei]
    10. On The Run To Be Free 4:08 [=Lass Es Einfach Gescheh’n]

11. KEEPING THE DREAM ALIVE (U.S. SHORT INTRO VERSION) 3:54
    12. KEEPING THE DREAM ALIVE (INSTRUMENTAL) 4:15 [So Lang’ Man Traume Noch Leben Kann (Instrumental Version)] There was no intrumental, only German version had it.
    13. KISSED YOU IN THE RAIN (EXTENDED VERSION) 6:50
    14. BABY IT’S YOU 3:31 [=Tausandmal Du] {from the album Romancing In The Dark}
    15. BABY IT’S YOU (EXTENDED VERSION) 6:01 {from the album Romancing In The Dark}
    16. WHEN LOVERS CRY 3:32 [=Aus Und Vorbei] {from the album Romancing In The Dark}

17. Keeping The Dream Alive (Extended Version) 6:34

11. BIS WIR UNS WIEDERSEH’N (LANGE VERSION) 6:24
    12. DIANA (LANGE VERSION) 7:02
    13. SO HEISS (SINGLE REMIX) 4:15
    14. SO HEISS (LANGE VERSION) 7:14
    15. SO LANG’ MAN TRAUME NOCH LEBEN KANN 4:14
    16. SO LANG’ MAN TRAUME NOCH LEBEN KANN (LANGE VERSION) 6:58

So Lang’ Man Traume Noch Leben Kann [Original Version] 4:15 There should also be an original version, similar length to the single version
    Diana [Single Remix] 4:15

• Thorsten says:

What is “So lang‘ man Träume noch leben kann?“ original version??? The Single version is the original
      version!
      Diana (english version) Radio Edit 3:33 and
      Kissed you in the Rain Radio Edit 3:15
      are missing!

• Griffin says:

@Thorsten,

On http://www.traumziel.info/mf.htm

So lang’ man Träume noch leben kann
        Zauner-Strobel

Original version on:
        Ihre größten Hits,
        Schenk mir eine Nacht (Ihre schönsten Lovesongs),
        Definitive Collection,
        Alle Jahre – Alle Hits – Die Singles,
        Herzschlag ist der Takt

Single-Version on:
        Alle Jahre – Alle Hits – 30 Jahre Münchener Freiheit,
        Single: So lang’ man Träume noch leben kann,
        Maxi-Single: So lang’ man Träume noch leben kann,
        3″CD: So lang’ man Träume noch leben kann

I guess your German is better than mine (I believe it says the difference is in the vocals at the end or something):
        (Anm.: Unterschied zur Original version im Gesangspart am Ende)

• Lenny K. says:

Exactly. In the the german Single Version, the Voice of the Singer is more prominent in the last seconds, while in the „wrong Single Version“ (which is identical to the first part of the German 12“ mix) the choir (the Jackson Singers) is much louder. On their 1992 best of album the wrong version appeared for the first time, maybe by accident.

The US Radio Edit of Diana is only an early fade, BTW. While the US Radio Edit of kissed you in the rain is a completely remixed version.

2. Hasan says:

I just listened the ‘Keeping the Dream Alive’ and I wonder ,am I the only one who thinks there’s some significant resemblance to ‘All Throught The Night’ Cyndi Lauper.

• Larry Davis says:

THAT’S IT!! “All Through The Night”!! …the original by Jules Shear been wanting to hear for years, but yeah, the chorus parts on both songs are identical, but the Freiheit song goes someplace else than the Jules/Cyndi one does, both great songs regardless.

3. Larry Davis says:

Always heard of this band but never actually heard them until now…wow, that song is great…def the ELO comparison is spot on, but also a drop Cretu and Alphaville… That chorus reminds me of another song I can’t put my finger on…the chorus where the tune goes higher, like on ‘hopes too high’…it will come to me…I love the whole NDW scene and will buy this and more…thanks Paul, hope your holidays are going good…

4. Lenny K. says:

As a longtime fan of the band I am a little confused why the single baby it‘s you is included here since it‘s from the 1st international album romancing in the dark.

The german single remix of diana is missing.

And what also is missing is the most interesting rarity from this period: The US remix of kissed you in the rain with diffetnet druma which really sound like a pwl production!

It‘s a shame that their talented singer and songwriter Stefan Zauner left the band in 2011. He is a kind of german Jeff Lynne.

5. Jim Vandegrift says:

Happy Holidays Everyone! Great site for music lovers.

6. Kauwgompie says:

Merry Christmas to the entire SDE community and especially Paul. It was another great year on superdeluxeedition.com. Love this blog.

7. Mark Levy says:

They only had one GREATEST HIT. Whats the point?

8. DiscoDave2000 says:

In the Fall of 1988 I worked in a CD store right on DuPont Circle Washington, DC (Kemp Mill Records). We used to get all sorts of promotional material (e.g. CDs, posters) to play and put up in the store. I remember hearing this alnbum and absolutely loving it. Everyone else who worked in the store was indifferent or hated it, so I would have to save this to play when I closed up. Haven’t heard from this band in the ensuing 30 years. Just listened to the album and will definitely get this 2CD edition. Too bad there aren’t more extended versions of other songs – Kissed You In The Rain, Tears Are A Girl’s Best Friend, and Poor Little Boy all could have been great singles. Recommended if you like Howard Jones, Johnny Hates Jazz, Breathe, Climie Fisher or, as mentioned, ELO/Macca.

• Don S says:

DD2000–Thank you for the story and RIYL list–I like all named! Helps put this band in a bit of context and I’m looking forward to it where before I was indifferent. Listened to the track and YEP–I’m in!

9. Pádraig Collins says:

Happy Christmas everyone. Very warm in Sydney.

I remember this band’s name, but not the song. Listening now, it’s a good song.

10. Urs says:

When I was a kid, I absolutely hated them and their songs! I always turned the radio off when they were playing. But now I have to admit that they had a few very good songs, especially this single. I’m even considering buying the album …

Merry Christmas to you, Paul, and to all readers your site!

11. MüllerMüller says:

Absolute rubbish
    No no no…..

12. Andre says:

This is a very welcome piece of news – and a reissue I will be getting! Freiheit were an undiscovered gem to the international music world back in the 80s. Their music, which is indeed reminiscent of Paul Macca and ELO, was heavy-laden with fantastic harmonies and riffs that truly defined the term ‘pop’. Their two English language albums are amongst my favourites of my late teenage years, and I still listen to them every now and again. If you haven’t heard of them, give them a listen. BTW, Kim Wilde did a beautiful (and equally good harmonised) cover of ‘Keeping The Dream Alive’ on the deluxe issue of her Wilde Winderland album a few years back. Check it out. Merry Christmas SDE!

13. tom m hans says:

Oh boy, Merry Christmas – I remember seeing Muenchner Freiheit back in 82 or 83 in the local youth center after having published their second LP “Licht” – their first record “Umsteiger” has a Bob Dylan Cover and was very much NDW – NEUE DEUTSCHE WELLE. I never grasped the success afterwards because they became too much of a boy band with Schlager appeal. And then I discovered Depeche Mode and Iron Maiden.
    Nice to see this 2CD deluxe – again, Merry Christmas, Paul, and to a happy 2019. THANK YOU for all that you do keeping a 50 something like me in the loop with re-issues and SDE’s. Looking forward to the Paul Young Single box and SDE of Sowing the seeds of love – KEEPING THE DREAM ALIVE.

14. Dr Volume says:

I remember thinking this was Macca at the time..definitely a big dollop Pipes of Peace in there. Also one of those tunes that wasn’t as big a hit as I thought, probably because Radio One played it relentlessly.

15. Mikey-D says:

Keeping the Dream Alive was on the Say Anything soundtrack and was one of my favorite tracks. I was never able to track down their album at the time but might try this reissue. As always thanks for the info!

16. Steven says:

I’ve a fairly large and varied music collection but my one question to ask in relation to this outfit is who?

17. Luke says:

I loved this song way back! Couldn’t grab a copy in 1988, but I will buy this Deluxe Edition next year. Still a great song and the 12 inch version is only adding to it… There was another hit from them in our country (Holland) and that one was a year before Keeping The Dream Alive. It was another smash called Play It Cool from the previous album.

Merry Christmas Paul and readers of SDE.

18. alan hansen says:

this news is a very pleasant surprise – something I never expected to see/hear. it will quite conveniently replace both my English and German language cd versions of this (and I THINK I have some vinyl bits too… somewhere). have any oversights or omissions been noted?

19. Craig Hedges says:

There is a great cover of Keeping the dream alive by The Fizz (ex Bucks Fizz) on their new album Christmas with The Fizz. Along with over covers the album has 2 fantastic original songs ‘Don’t start without me’ and ‘So Christmas’ which will hopefully be discovered in Christmas’s to come.
    Merry Christmas Everybody!

20. Daryl says:

I bought the 7″, the 12″, and the vinyl LP (all from Woolworths!), aged 15… I think I was lovestruck with the whole sound of the band. The follow up single “Kissed You In The Rain” is a perfect slice of pop too. This one’s definitely on the wishlist!

21. Mike the Fish says:

In other news: have a great Christmas, Paul! Still my favourite source of music news, and provider of interesting interviews!

22. Mike the Fish says:

I was interested then came the Cherry Red blow. Any news on what this is sourced from?

23. Bjarne Laastad says:

That single is amazingly great!

Merry Christmas, Paul! Very much looking forward to your hopes for expected releases for 2019!

24. Joe Embleton says:

Merry Christmas Paul! have a great time!

25. Keith says:

I actually got a double cd a few years ago from Germany with this album which is superb and the other English speaking album 6 euros

• Dennis says:

That set (’30 Jahre Münchener Freiheit Vol. 4′) has been out of print for a few years now, consider yourself extremely lucky you picked it up at the time. It is usually changing hands these days for stupid amounts of money.

26. xymox970 says:

It`s very interesting indeed, Paul, to hear you talking about Munchener Freiheit…..and with such enthusiasm, I might add…..:)
    I also really love their single So Lang Man Traume Noch Leben Kann (and the English version as well). The 12″ with the added extended orchestral instrumental version sounds quite spectacular. I dont suppose that many others (particularly in the UK) shared that notion about them…….as you have already mentioned, it should have been a much bigger hit on the singles chart in your country.

I have listened to a number of their other singles from that peak success era for them (1985-1988) and honestly, they arent much to speak of. Some decent tunes but not much else. As far as I know, there were known / still are mainly as a “schlager” band in Germany…..not really considered as a real pop group…….let alone a synth based one, which they were trying to be, especially around that time mid-late 80s……

Still, I am interested in this release. If they are more harmony-based ballads on this 1988 album, could be a very nice listening experience……

27. -SG- says:

I’ve never heard of these guys, I will have to give that youtube a listen. Merry Christmas Paul and to the insightful readers who leave comments here. Thank you for all of the great info and articles this year, this site is definitely a fun read. May you have a happy holiday with your family (I can’t imagine they could even try to figure out what records you would be after) so hopefully a nice pair of socks.

28. Geert De Wilde says:

McCartney-esque indeed. But even more Jeff Lynne-esque! It could be him! :)

29. Lee Rosevere says:

Paul, you should check out a band called The Nines (from Canada) – this reminds me of them SO much (well, the similar Macca influence)

30. Chris Squires says:

There’s quite a bit of ELO in there too. Which I guess is no surprise if it is also McCartneyesque.
    This could almost have been on Discovery….
    If I can use this thread to wish you and yours a Happy Christmas Paul, Thanks for all you do for us. Keeping us poor, keeping us happy and Keeping the Dream Alive (see what I did there?).

Here’s to further successes in 2019.