Gary Crowley’s Punk and New Wave

Veteran UK DJ and broadcaster Gary Crowley has curated Gary Crowley’s Punk and New Wave, a triple CD box set that seeks to avoid the usual ‘classic anthems’ and rather opts for a quirkier selection of  punk/new wave singles from 1977-1982.

Crowley (and Jim Lahat) bring you 77 tracks of Punk, New Wave, Post Punk, Power Pop and Mod Revival including many of which are available on CD for the first time. Artists include The Vibrators, The Saints, TV 21, Altered Images, The Fall, Fast Cars, The Negatives, John Cooper Clarke, The Collectors, The Skids and many more!

This set is presented as a ‘media pack’ (i.e. similar to the 20th anniversary reissue of Suede’s Coming Up) and comes with a 40-page booklet. This features an introduction and track-by-track notes by Crowley and Lahat, along with ‘punk memories’ from some of the artists themselves, including Richard Jobson (The Skids), Clare Grogan(Altered Images), Duncan Reid (The Boys), Jane Perry Woodgate (The Mo-Dettes) and Spizz.

Gary Crowley’s Punk and New Wave 3CD set will be released on 15 September 2017

9. Apocalypse – Teddy
10. Tinopeners – Set Me Free
11. The Plague – In Love
12. The Crack – Easy Street
13. The Smirks – Angry With Myself
14. Straightshooter – She’s So Fine
15. Bleeding Hearts – This is the Way…OK?
16. Apartment – The Car
17. Knife Edge – Say You Will
18. The Tea Set – Parry Thomas
19. The Zips – Take Me Down
20. Really 3rds – Everyday, Everyway
21. The Kicks – If Looks Could Kill
22. TPI – She’s Too Clever For Me
23. Gobblinz – Love Me Too
24. The Moondogs – She’s Nineteen
25. Generation X – Wild Dub

33 responses to Gary Crowley’s Punk and New Wave

1. Paul Martin says:

I pre-ordered this as soon as it was announced. A good mix of the familiar e.g. Ultravox!, Saints, 999, Eater, Vibrators, Generation X, Mo-Dettes, The Quads and (for me) the unfamiliar – all the others! Looks like both a good range and number of tracks in a decent package for a very fair price. No brainer.

2. John says:

I think a little bit too much effort was put into avoiding the usual classics.

• Gareth says:

Ha! I kind of agree. I mean I’ve never heard ‘Soldier Soldier’ by Spizzenergi, but without hearing a single note, I am willing to place a bet that ‘Where’s Captain Kirk?’ is a better track!

• Frenchy Eric says:

Soldier Soldier was played on the radio at that period in France late at night in the Bernard Lenoir Show.

• Matthew says:

Obvious there aren’t many singles that get even close to being as inescapably great as ‘Where’s Captain Kirk?”, but actually Soldier Soldier is a very catchy and more punky single that should please most who would think of buying a compilation like this.

• Steve says:

Sadly you’re wrong. Soldier Soldier is mint.

• Graham says:

This compilation is a little ‘too cool for school’ for me. I’d be happier if there were maybe 10 songs I was familiar with.

3. Auntie Sabrina says:

So it’s in a book style of packaging. Well done Edsel, the less of those terrible cardboard sleeves the better…

4. Paul English says:

Great tracklist!
    A real coup would have been the inclusion of The Rezillos – Top Of The Pops (Single Mix).
    Every compilation uses the album version. It’s ironic that the version of Top Of The Pops as performed on Top Of The Pops is still MIA on CD.

• William K says:

The Rezillos – Top Of The Pops (Single Mix) is on the Rhino box set compilation……No Thanks! The 70’s Punk Rebellion. Not sure if it’s available elsewhere on CD.

• BDY says:

No Thanks! The 70’s Punk Rebellion….

That’s a good call, didn’t even know that existed. There was a U.S compilation in the early 80’s called ‘New Wave’ and most of the songs on that are on this compilation, mixed with tracks featured on the U.K Burning Sounds double LP compilation released in 1983.
        Sonic Reducer is up there with Teenage Kicks in my opinion.
        I wish someone would re-release the Frontline Festival – Live At The Hope and Anchor LP on CD. Too good to have gone AWOL.

• Paul English says:

Thanks William – not sure how I missed that, have that box but not played often…..

5. Gareth says:

Disc 1 track 2 is Mo-Dettes, but the track is called White Mice!

6. Kauwgompie says:

To be honest my music knowledge is pretty good but I don’t know the vast majority of these songs. In my experience that usually means it’s a good track list. Those punk and new wave classics have been milked up and down a hundred times, don’t need another re-hashed version of that. This looks very promising. I’m going to look up these songs on YouTube, I bet I’ll end up ordering this.

7. Jim H. says:

Interesting…..nice to see long forgotten bands like Advertising, Tonight and Starjets get something on a modern day comp……

8. Simon Taylor says:

One I’d probably go for, but when it goes cheap. Too much to spend on many unknown tracks. Tenner would be a fairer price.

Tonight – Drummer Man is now stuck in my head, I remember that one from the late 70’s TOTP repeats. Good tune.

• Stevie B says:

Ha, I was only listening to this song a few days ago. Yeah, lots on here that I don’t know, but quite a few long forgotten classics such as the Stukas and Automatics tracks. Love to see some Six Minute War songs included on these kind of compilations.

The Tinopeners…what a great name for a band!!!

9. Robert Laversuch says:

Have Tons of punk stuff and only have about a third of the tracks – so a must have for me and yes they have tried hard to avoid all the regular suspects but was that not the point? Really looking forward to this !!!

10. WILLIAM ENGLAND says:

Along with Mark P, I can’t think of anyone nicer to have a conversation about punk/new wave with!
    Certainly worthy of one of your interviews Paul…

11. Eamonn says:

Good man, Gary, is he still working in media?

12. Joe Mac Pherson says:

I bought All About You by Scars when it was first released, and it was an expensive UK import available at the Import Section in one of the better record stores in Los Angeles. Without ever actually hearing the song first, thanks to a review, or reviews I read in Melody Maker, New Musical Express or Sounds, I was already convinced this was music I’d love. And I did! So much, I bought their (Sadly) only album, Author! Author!, which never got released in the USA. Now I own Author! Author! on UK import CD, and it’s out of print.
    I recognize so many of the bands and recording artists in this compilation, but I don’t know the songs. Even better, so many artists here, I don’t know AT ALL. Enlightenment!
    Even living in L.A. doesn’t guarantee that so much recorded music from Europe will ever be heard on the college station airwaves. One track I was really, truly hoping to see here:
    Life’s Illusion, by Ice The Falling Rain. They created 1 absolutely wonderful record, and never again. I believe the year was 1983. For those who don’t know, visit Youtube.
    I already do know, I’m buying this box set!
    Thank You AGAIN, Paul!

13. Steve Benson says:

I wish I had bought 1-2-3-4 when it was first issued – the version with metal buttons on box! V good track selection.

14. Yani P says:

Living in Chelsea in 76 and 77 I didn’t realise Punk continued any later :)

Seriously though, some decent tracks here..I would love to see someone pull together a 76-77 punk compilation of all the bands that existed only in that short time frame, producing vinyl with runs in the tens sometimes hundreds…amazing how many of those bands were on the pub circuit at that time, shone a bright light for a couple of months then disappeared or morphed into other bands..the best of times ….

15. Larry Davis says:

Hey…I used to have 1-2-3-4 with the metal buttons long ago…but it was sold…I probably do not know 90% of this stuff, which will make this a cooler fresher listen…will buy in the future…love discovering forgotten bands of the punk, new wave and powerpop variety…

16. Neil R says:

Looks like a great compilation, but why do The Mob always get overlooked? They released a number of singles and a great but under appreciated album (Let The Tribe Increase) – surely one of the ‘bleakest’ sounding punk albums ever released!

17. Brex Tangerine says:

Very exciting compilation!

18. Ian Harris says:

Some great choices on here! I don’t know why people are complaining that there is stuff they haven’t heard of. Isn’t the point of these compilations to introduce you to new stuff? Or do these people just buy greatest hits albums by the same artists over and over again?

Lovely to see two of my album time favourite tracks on here, possibly making their CD debut? Tango In Mono by the Expressos and Culture Shock by Shake, who were the Rezillos, minus Eugene and Fay, with Jo Callis on lead vocals. There’s a live version of it on the Rezillos album Mission Accomplished…But The Beat Goes On.

And Gareth – Solider, Soldier by Spizz is superb. There’s much more to him than Where’s Captain Kirk.

• Julian Hancock says:

I quite agree with all you say. Moreover, quite a lot of this was difficult to get hold of at the time. You might hear it on the radio, or see it reviews, but actually buying a copy if you lived outside a big city was another matter entirely.

19. Lee Realgone says:

This looks interesting. Might have a go of it if the price is right later on. Now, if it had included both sides of the Johnny and the Self Abusers 7″ from ’77, I’d be there like a shot…

20. Frenchy Eric says:

Edsel cd reissues have generally a flat sound. Was very disappointed with the Pretenders ones…
    I’ll wait for posts on Amazon !