Generation X deluxe edition

2CD deluxe & 3LP vinyl sets  • Remastered • Bonus tracks

Chrysalis are set to release a deluxe edition of Generation X, the self-titled 1978 debut album by one the British punk band that featured a young Billy Idol.

As well as Idol, the band featured Tony James (bass), Bob ‘Derwood’ Andrews (guitar) and Mark Laff (drums). Two non-album singles (‘Your Generation’ and ‘Wild Youth’) preceded the album, while a third, ‘Ready Steady Go’, was included when the long-player was released in March ’78.

The new deluxe edition has been remastered from the original production tapes and is available as both a two-CD and a 3LP vinyl set. Both include all the A-sides and B-sides from this era, along with  11 previously unreleased recordings including some unheard mixes created a the time by Alan Winstanley, prior to producer Martin Rushent completing his final mix of the album.

This deluxe edition comes with previously unseen photos and newly commissioned sleeve notes from Adrian Thrills and is released on vinyl and CD on 26 April 2019.

As well as the usual channels below, there is an official Generation X shop which offers some exclusive bundles (although no actual exclusive versions of the product).

Generation X

17 – One Hundred Punks (Winstanley Mix)*
18 – Too Personal (Winstanley Mix)*
19 – Youth Youth Youth (Winstanley Mix)*

Generation X 3LP deluxe edition

LP 1

Side 1
1. From The Heart (2019 Remaster)
2. One Hundred Punks (2019 Remaster)
3. Listen (2019 Remaster)
4. Ready Steady Go (2019 Remaster)
5. Kleenex (2019 Remaster)
6. Promises Promises (2019 Remaster)

Side 2
1. Day By Day (Alt. Version / 2019 Remaster)
2. The Invisible Man (2019 Remaster)
3. Kiss Me Deadly (2019 Remaster)
4. Too Personal (2019 Remaster)
5. Youth Youth Youth (2019 Remaster)

LP 2 – A & B-sides

Side 1
1. Your Generation (2019 Remaster)
2. Day By Day (2019 Remaster)
3. Wild Youth (2019 Remaster)
4. Wild Dub (Version / 2019 Remaster)

Side 2
1. No No No (2019 Remaster)
2. Trying For Kicks (2019 Remaster)
3. This Heat (2019 Remaster)

LP 3 – Outtakes and Rough Mixes

Side 1
1. Ready Steady Go (Phil Wainman Version / 2019 Remaster)
2. No No No (Phil Wainman Version / 2019 Remaster)
3. Gimme Some Truth (Outtake / 2019 Remaster)
4. Rock On Dub (Outtake / 2019 Remaster)
5. Promises Promises (Single Version / 2019 Remaster)

Side 2
1. From The Heart (Winstanley Mix / 2019 Remaster)
2. Invisible Man (Winstanley Mix / 2019 Remaster)
3. Kleenex (Winstanley Mix / 2019 Remaster)
4. Day By Day (Winstanley Mix / 2019 Remaster)
5. One Hundred Punks (Winstanley Mix / 2019 Remaster)
6. Too Personal (Winstanley Mix / 2019 Remaster)
7. Youth Youth Youth (Winstanley Mix / 2019 Remaster)

30 responses to Generation X deluxe edition

1. Jeff Zinger says:

Rock On appeared on a 12″ single titled “4” from 1981. It was produced by Keith Forsey who did the Kiss Me Deadly album and all of the B-Sides from that era. Yet Rock On Dub is on this collection and it’s Forsey production also. (If you play the regular version back to back with the Dub it’s easy to tell that it is.) I’m a stickler for detail on reissues so to me this 1981 track doesn’t belong on this reissue at all, rather should have been part of the bonus tracks on the Kiss Me Deadly reissue from years ago although it wasn’t. I know there was an early demo of the song and a BBC session recording of it but neither are the version on the 12″. I just have no idea why whoever put the compilation together would include it when it was recorded 4 years after the first album and the early singles. (Having said all this I haven’t seen the liner notes yet as my copy hasn’t arrived but I have heard Rock On Dub. Is there any explanation for this in the liner notes? And if there is, I guess I just wasted my time posting this comment LoL.)

• Jeff Zinger says:

I could be wrong on this. Investigating further. Not that anyone cares LoL. Me and my OCD. :)

2. Mark Levy says:

Quite happy with my best of Generation X LP for now

3. poptones says:

Very good album. As I already have the original LP and the 3 CD remastered anthology released in 2003, I don’t need this remastered edition even if it’s reasonably priced.

For those interested, the 3 CD anthology contains a best of, the unreleased 1979 album Sweet Revenge and a live in Japan. It’s a good companion if you already have the original LPs on vinyl, that way you have the studio albums, the singles, the unreleased album and a live album.

4. Charles K. says:

This is most welcome and the perfect set for both formats. Hopefully they something for their next two as well! Sold, one of each!

5. Michael John says:

Thrilled to see the vinyl includes the same tracks as the CDs. So tired of wanting a release on vinyl but then having to buy the CD version just to get the bonus tracks. Nicely done! Preordered mine today.

6. B. Smith says:

Hoping it ain’t squashed to death. And for a hi-res version.

7. Eric says:

From the original production tapes? that means they’ve lost the mulittrack tapes and the analog master as well from where the production tapes were made from! Congrats

• Tom says:

What do you mean? They’re not remixing so wouldn’t need the multitracks. Using the original tapes means the original master and not remastered from CD like some companies.

• TheRedPen says:

Multitrack tapes get mixed to produce a Stereo Master tape. Stereo Master tape gets ‘mastered’ to produce a Production tape. Any ‘remastering’ should be done from the Stereo Master. Which they appear to have mislaid.

8. Gary says:

Think I’ll wait for the cardboard suitcase full of shite edition… Punk has put Macca to shame at almost a tenth of the cost! Ever get the feeling you’ve been had?

9. Mike Villano says:

Not to complain, but why are the “Friday’s Angels” b-sides here since they’re from the 2nd album? I’d love an expanded version of that one too.

• Rachel says:

This Heat and Trying for Kicks were outakes from this album.
      VOTD had no outtakes other than cover versions as far as im aware.(Free,Led Zep),but even they may have been done at a seperate session and not with Hunter….. I hope i’m wrong though!

• Dave says:

Hi

They were recorded at the same sessions as the first album so should be here really

10. Luke says:

What gas happened to Save my life/ New order whatever it was called, love that song, not sure why it has been neglected.

11. Stevie B says:

Great price for the CD’s. Would have loved a Snot Green vinyl version or some signed goodies in the bundles.

12. Phil kean says:

Definitely gonna get this,looks like a fantastic package, seen the original line up in a hotel in Paisley Scotland when the first album was just released, reliving my youth with this little gem

13. Nigel Day says:

Great news. One of the criminally forgotten punk debuts full of excellent tracks. Think I’ll treat myself to the triple vinyl. All I’ve got is a nasty tinny download that I bought off of iTunes so I hope this has got a bit more balls on it and some good dynamics.

Nice bonus tracks too.

14. Marc Zalcman says:

Too bad the John Peel session(s) tracks are not included. I remember they were great and often superior to the final officially released versions

15. Rare Glam says:

Nice to see this, I’ll definitely get it. I have a Japanese mini LP CD of it from some years back but without all these extras.

I am intrigued by the reappearance of the Chrysalis imprint it’s on. Both Steve Harley / Cockney Rebel three disc sets of ‘Cavaliers’ and ‘The Best Years of Our LIves’ were, last year reissued in nice clamshell box editions on Chrysalis (as opposed to their original clunky fat jewel case original releases on CD via EMI years ago) which was the first time I had seen this label re-appear on CD, who owns it now? I would like to see other long out of print Chrysalis titles reissued on CD with the same deluxe edition treatment like The Selector’s second album from 1981 ‘Celebrate The Bullet’ (which I think has only ever been partially issued on CD as a part of an old’ Best of’ CD).

• David Hutchins says:

Blue Raincoat Music, who are part managed by Chrysalis co-founder Chris Wright.
        Though not all of the original Chrysalis catalogue is owned by Blue Raincoat. Universal acquired Chrysalis when they bought EMI, some of catalogue, mostly the US acts (like Blondie) signed to the US arm of Chrysalis were retained by Universal when they sold to Warner. Warner then sold to Blue Raincoat, but Warner held on to some of the Catalogue, Spandau, Proclaimers, The Ramones and Jethro Tull.

• BillyD says:

Chrysalis was cherry picked twice, but not totally pillaged. Chances are UMG and Warners would have done a subpar job with what they sold off. Chrysalis probably has more of a love for their music and can give music buyers what they want. I don’t need anymore Ultravox reissues, EMI flogged them to death.

• Jeremy Kay says:

Only uk cd release I’ve even seen is on the captain mod label (who’s ultimate parent company is Cheery Red Records I believe), reissued this in 2001, licenced from chrysalis. It’s rare as anything though and I’ve never been able to get a copy, really needs a proper reissue for me too.

• Rachel says:

Its actually been on CD 3 times in the UK.
        1986 1st and best sounding one just needed to be played loud.
        Mid 1999s EMI Gold with dreadful sleeve(it was 5.99 cheapo budget release…sigh)
        2002/3 EMI version with bonus tracks(really dreadful sounding)
        The 1st Japanes one from 1986/7 was good sounding.
        Now we just need deluxe valley of the dolls
        and about half an albums worth of dub mixes of this one(rumour had it back in the music press of the day)

All this new deluxe stuff should be far superior to the above and that Anthology Box a few years back.

• Paul Martin says:

Thanks to those who posted the links on Chrysalis developmet etc.. The Selector’s ‘Celebrate The Bullet’ was due for release in Japan as a mini LP CD along with their debut on Two Tone two or three years back but they got pulled without explanation a month before the release date. Hoping now that will be rectified. I read it was issued on Captain Mod in 2001 but it doesn’t come up on the Captian Oi release list, though they did reissue their debut on Two Tone a few years back in a nice digibook format.

The Generation X packaging for the CDs looks nice, not just a boring slimline 2xcd jewel case. It would seem the rejuvinated Chrysalis are paying attention to attractive packaging which is heartening.

16. stevieb says:

Definitely in for this. One of my favourite albums of 1978 (and there were many good or great ones that year). As I only have the original release then this is a significant upgrade for me.

17. Ian S says:

Another little bit of my youth to relive! Ordered. I do hope they’ve done a bit of a remix though – the drums always sounded like someone falling down a flight of stairs.